Author Topic: NotJ - Chapter 3 - The Investigation Continues  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
Re: NotJ - Chapter 3 - The Investigation Continues
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
The Professor tightened his grip on his sturdy but plain walking cane and followed Dr Kárpáti. "I assume we are not abandoning Lt Paice to the two fiends." he whispered to the others.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »
The Doctor simply shakes his head.

"No. A ruse, Doctor, for vat little it is worth."
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline Gymnosophist

• Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
"I dare say!" Sir Reginald exclaims as he follows his companions. "I thought for a moment you'd taken leave of your senses, Doctor! I'll wager they're the same two scoundrels your man saw lurking outside the Army and Navy Club the other night!"

Meanwhile, the two dark skinned fellows stop in front of the rear door to the bookshop. The slighter one continues smoking as he looks coolly after the gentlemen retreating down the alley. Above them, the curtain in the window twitches nervously.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2020, 12:09:08 AM »
"Just moments ago it was obvious to the strangers that we were looking for Lieutenant Paice. " whispered the Professor as they walked.

"Now that they have stopped at the rear of the bookshop would it not be natural for us to enquire if they knew the Lieutenant and if so where he might be found? It is a good excuse to approach them. We should agree on an innocent reason for wanting to locate the Lieutenant, if the they should ask. Perhaps we are following up on an important book purchase?" suggested the Professor.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2020, 02:42:52 AM »
"Perhaps zese fellows might know ven ze bookshop is going to be open zen" replies Kárpáti loud enough to be heard as he turns around and heads back towards the dangerous men.

"I haff not come all zis way trying to track down a first edition copy of Hermann Ebbinghaus' masterwork, "Über das Gedächtnis", only to leave empty handed." he sais with a flourishing gesture.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:52:19 AM by Usdrothek »

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2020, 04:49:27 AM »
As the investigators approached the two strangers the Professor attempted to attract their attention."Hello there gentlemen. We were hoping you may be able to assist us with some information." The Professor withheld further conversation waiting to see how the pair reacted.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:52:16 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »
"I say!" Sir Reginald whispers as he returns with the others to the bookshop. "Are you certain this is a capital idea? They've been following us for days! Surely they know we're not here to buy "Hoovering Gedingus", or whatever it is!"

Meanwhile, the two men regard the gentlemen as they approach. The tall, muscular one folds his arms across his colossal chest; his slighter, more wiry companion exhales smoke from his lungs and steps forward. "You. Inglish." He says, in broken, heavily accented English. "Go now! Clear off!"

As if to punctuate his friend's directive, the Colossus spits emphatically to the side.

The air is heavy with the pungent scent of Egyptian tobacco.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2020, 01:12:40 AM »
The professor frowned obviously annoyed. "Here now there is no need to be rude. We only wanted to ask if you knew where Mr Paice could be located or contacted. As you are loitering at the rear of his bookshop we thought you may know. As for 'clearing off' last I heard this was England and not whatever foreign place you hail from so as citizens of this country we will go or stay as we please." he said with a hint of defiance.

"So, do you know where Mr Paice can be located or contacted?" asked the Professor.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:20:04 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2020, 01:38:42 AM »
Kárpáti manages to remain stoic and not to wince at the utterance of Paice's name in front of these nefarious men.

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
The shorter fellow takes one last drag on his cigarette then flicks the butt to the ground at the Professor's feet. "I speak last time, Inglish", he says, addressing the academic. "You go. Clear off!"

Adding emphasis to his menacing tone, he reaches into the pockets of his waistcoat. When he withdraws his hands, the cold winter light glints dully off a pair of brass knuckles adorning his fists. Meanwhile, his companion reaches under his coat and produces a large, wicked looking, curve bladed knife. It's edge catches the light in that special way that only something razor sharp might, and it's wielder looks completely proficient in its use.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
Doctor Karparti takes a step back at the sight of the large man and the presentation of his equally large knife.

"Come now. Zere is no need for ze violence, Ja?"

If anything, Kárpáti exaggerates his natural accent for differentiation.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:00:39 AM by Usdrothek »

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2020, 04:36:45 AM »
The professor also took a step back and gripped his walking cane for defense. He glanced about to see if there were any onlookers witnessing the confrontation.

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »
To the Professor's dismay, the alleyway remains deserted as the two swarthy men advance. The shorter one snarls something in what the gentlemen can only presume must be Arabic and brandishes his fists in the manner of a seasoned pugilist. His giant companion smiles cruelly, making eye contact with the Doctor as he draws his thumb across his throat in the time honoured signal of menace. Above them, the curtain twitches and their lone spectator looks on with growing apprehension. For a moment in the alleyway, time stands still.

It is at this point that Sir Reginald surprises everyone by producing a revolver from his pocket and levelling it coolly at the two antagonists. To those well versed in the arcana of firearms, it appears to be an Enfield Mark II, weathered from many years of service. He then surprises everyone a second time by uttering a phrase in Arabic which halts the two men in their tracks. They put up their hands, and there follows a short exchange with the explorer, also in Arabic. Then they back away carefully. When a sufficient distance has been reached, they turn on their heels and return the way they came, but not before the larger man glares at the gentlemen once more and spits to the side one last time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:45:29 AM by Gymnosophist »

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »
Doctor Karparti exhales in relief, as the men flee. Even though the trio were three to two, these were no odds against the likes of these skilled murderers. The notion of fighting this huge man and his knife with nothing but his cane was an unpleasant one.

Karparti is genuinely impressed at the Cool initiative of Sir Reginald and even more so at his Arabic, not that this was in his own repertoire. Not the language of his ancient enemy.

"Nagyszerű munka, Sir Reginald! Great job. Thank God you had zat gun." he utters.

"I really must know vat you said to zem, ven ve haff more time." said Doctor Karparti as he looks to the window. "I take it they'll be back." he asks Sir Reginald.

The Doctor motions to window and silently implores the man he assumes in Paice to 'come down'.

"The fact zat ze man didnt use zis opportunity to leave via the front door is worrying enough." he sais softly to his companions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:44:58 PM by Usdrothek »

Offline Gymnosophist

« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2020, 06:33:48 AM »
The unflappable explorer waves the loaded gun in the air carelessly and shrugs. "Oh nothing really. I just told 'im that he wouldn't be the first gypo I'd shot with this and would he prefer to be next or his fellow. But you're right, I dare say they'll be back. Let's see what old Paice has to say for 'imself, eh what?"

As if on queue, the back door to the bookshop opens just a crack. From the doorway, a pair of bright, furtive eyes peer out at them framed by spectacles.

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »
Doctor Karparti limps over to the door.

"Mr Paice? Please, ve must speak vit you. Ve are friends of Montegue. Can ve come inside?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk