Author Topic: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood  (Read 3164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Old Man

  • Moderator
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4454
    • The Campaign Nook
[Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:37:22 PM »
As the giant furred warrior and his equally giant mount disappear into the distance, you turn to face the road ahead. You estimate about another hour or thereabouts until you reach the site of the remains of the caravan.

** Marching order?
** Perception rolls here or in your thread, especially for Skrawk and whomever leads the group (that is - in front)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:02:14 PM by Old Man »
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:18:06 AM »
Ammon

will head up the main body, allowing the guides to lead him if they choose. If they prefer, he’ll walk with them and let them point him in the right direction.

He’ll have Jay march up front with him, and the other militia soldier bring up the rear.

Offline Ry

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 123
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »

Red will lead by a few yards to ensure he can get as good a view of any sign of the movement of the Orcs. He's pretty sure that tracking the whole hive isn't going to be hard, but he wants to keep an eye out for anybody splitting off.  Could be some of the Orcs split off for some reason, could be that some of the wounded did. With breakfast and greeting the stranger done, Red is all business and focused on making sure that we find any survivors and don't get ambushed.

Perception roll
Rolled 1d100+60 : 34 + 60, total 94

Offline Mollari

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 140
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »
Shrugging. due to the lack of response, Skrawk announces he's taking wing, and will scout ahead, up to half-a-mile or so. 

"Any specific things this one should be looking for?"

Offline Ry

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 123
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »

"Please keep an eye out for any sign of anybody splitting off from the main group. I can't imagine tracking the main hive will be hard, but any groups splitting off may be dangerous to us, or tell us what the hive is doing. I assume you know your business, but I'd keep my distance. They seem pretty wound up and prone to violence, so if they can take a shot at you, they might."

Red/Ry

Offline Old Man

  • Moderator
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4454
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:11 PM »

** Skrawk, perception roll when you have a moment.
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Mollari

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 140
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:51:13 AM »
84

Offline Mollari

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 140
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 03:52:49 AM »
Skrawk smirks, as best as a face with a bird's beak can smirk, and says, "Keeping my distance is one of my best skills..."

Offline Mollari

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 140
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 03:56:13 AM »
Sorry for any ambiguity; that "84" was unmodified so you can add another 53 to it.

Rob

Offline Old Man

  • Moderator
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4454
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »

** Feel free to use the in-line dice roller ... colondice 1d100colon ...
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline I8flesh2

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1055
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »
+bonus after the 100

Offline Old Man

  • Moderator
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4454
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »

Skrawk takes to the air as the group takes to the road. It is a quiet morning that only grows quieter as the hour passes.

Eventually Skrawk spots signs of the ruined caravan in the distance. About 30 yards of trail is strewn with wrecked or overturned wagons, a half dozen or so. Dark shapes suggest debris or perhaps bodies, human or beast of burden, scattered about. Aside from small movements, which suggest jungle scavengers, the scene is still.

From the air, Skrawk sees signs, between the trees at trail's edge, of the passage of the Orcs across the road from his right (northish) to his left (southish).

Several beats after Skrawk's discovery, Red can see the near end of the caravan. Nothing stands upon the road or moves nearby. The Orcs are long gone. A faint smell, death or at least the beginnings of putrefaction drift down the trail.

** Actions?
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Ry

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 123
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 01:44:58 AM »
Red steeled himself. If you live in Hogwood, you've seen death. But that isn't the same as coming across the scene of a battle, or more likely a slaughter. He was pretty sure it was going to be ugly and disturbing. He knew he was green. Hallr had said as much and thought he shouldn't come. They'd 'discussed' it. But Red was of an age now, and wasn't going to shy away from work he could do that needed doing. He knew Hallr wanted to protect him, but it was time for him to stand up.

Red had a job to do here, and by the Moon's breath he was going to do it. He needed to learn what he could from the remains here, and check for any chance of survivors. Letting the gore of the scene distract him wasn't going to help him get that done. It wasn't going to help prevent this hive from doing it to the next caravan or village they bumped into while they were so violently inclined.

So he took a deep breath, and focused. His left hand ran through the twelve gestures of the cardinal prime as he walked. It was an early apprentice drill, but it helped keep his head clear and focused to do it. Plus, it didn't hurt to be ready in case of an attack.

"Hallo? Anybody here? Anybody need help?" he asked in a voice that would carry a bit through the forest, and he kept his voice calm. He circled the wreckage, focused less on the wreckage itself than the area around it. If somebody had staggered off after the battle, their trail would be fresh, coming after the mess of the hive moving. That is what he would look for first. Any sign of anybody moving out from the caravan after the hive passed through. He thought it unlikely, but he would be methodical. Hallr had drilled that into his head. Mages that cut corners did not fare well. So check each thing before moving on to the next, because thinking you know the probable answer isn't the same as actually knowing the answer.

Once that sweep was done, he would turn his attention to trying to count tracks to get a better real grasp on the size of the hive and any other intelligence that could be drawn from the signs of their passage. As he worked, he called out again from time to time. His voice and words exactly the same each time.

He'd leave searching the wreckage for goods and the dead for others, or for last since he didn't think he had any special insights to offer there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:43:36 AM by Ry »

Offline Mollari

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 140
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 01:46:27 AM »
Skrawk first returns to report to the group, and then says, "Unless you have a better idea, while you check on the ground more closely, I'll take a larger circle around to see if I can spot any other activity."

Offline I8flesh2

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1055
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 03:35:02 AM »
** Ry - please provide us with a perception roll for looking for survivors and a tracking roll to see how many Orcs passed this way.

Offline I8flesh2

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1055
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 03:37:23 AM »
** Mollari - please provide a perception roll once you are airborne again. How far out are you going to circle?

Offline Ry

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 123
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 04:09:29 AM »
Perception

Rolled 1d100+60 : 48 + 60, total 108
Rolled 1d100+35 : 90 + 35, total 125
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:14:37 AM by Ry »

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Ammon

nods at Skrawk. “Aye, that’s a good plan. Let us know what you see.”

To Red and the others, he advises: “Look for survivors, but do not stray far. Stay out of the forest for now. Stay vigilant; I think the orcs have likely moved on, but other beasts will no doubt be drawn to this carnage.”

He’ll do his own search for survivors, leaving the tracking up to the trackers.

Offline Old Man

  • Moderator
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4454
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »
The site:


A search reveals six dead, likely guards or drivers, of various ages and races. There were no survivors. Each died of combat injuries - cuts, punctures and impacts. Rigor has begun to set in. Local creatures took notice over night and soft tissue (eyes, skin, lips) shows evidence of their scavenging. Deathly quiet except for the sound of your own movement.


** Everyone please make a SD or CO bonus roll (which ever is higher) in your personal thread. Add +25 if you are a hunter. Add +50 if you have military experience in your background. If you've killed a humanoid or happen to be a doctor/coroner, no need to roll.


The path:


Red can see the trail made by the Orcs headed southward. Given such a larger group, they did not try to conceal their tracks, but moving in several lines makes their numbers difficult to estimate, perhaps several score or more. Small tracks suggest young children are among them, which reinforces the thought an entire small Hive is on the move. Captured animal tracks mix in with the footprints.

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Ry

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 123
Re: [Act 1 Scene 3] Last Stop Hogwood
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »

Red looks a little green as he reports in, but his voice doesn't betray it, "It's a full hive. I'd say minimum of 60 orcs, and maybe twice that. Sorry I don't have more experience tracking groups this large to be able to estimate better. But as you can see from the tracks over here (he points them out), they're traveling with youngsters and animals.

That isn't what a raiding party would do, at least to my knowledge.

They also aren't trying to hide their passage, probably pointless with a group this size, but still they aren't. They are travelling in a few columns which does make the estimating numbers harder for me. Maybe somebody who knew orcs movements better could draw a useful conclusion from the number of columns. I can't.

I'm not sure what I make of the fact that they crossed the road, but didn't take it. If they were fleeing from something, going up the road for a ways would make sense because it would be faster. Then again, could buy them more trouble from us that they want to avoid, and it would leave them more exposed from the air if whatever they are running from can put eyes up there.

I think we'd be wise to keep an eye out the way they came. There may be something on their tail and if it scared a whole hive, then it is probably best avoided. Could also be that the whole hive needs to get someplace in a hurry. I have no idea what would cause that though. I'm more inclined to think they're trying to get away. But the trail looks straight, more or less, so maybe they're in a hurry to get to a particular place or thing."

He pauses then asks, "Should we bury the dead and check the remains of the caravan for recoverable goods? Maybe Skrawk could fly back the way they came a little bit while we do to make sure nothing is coming up on us?"

Red/Ry

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk