Author Topic: The Tavern  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Re: The Tavern
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
I'll make this post open, it's not a major criticism, rather a "stumbling block" that, in my opinion, has derailed the game (rather than rail-roading it...).

When a character enters a social situation, a player should not be assumed to detail all of their character's actions. Certain things should be assumed, unless they specifically state that their actions are different to what might be assumed.

In this specific case, ordering a drink should assume that the character has paid for it as part of the action unless they have stated otherwise, or if the GM's initial description of that situation requires otherwise.  My character would pay for the drink they ordered or agree for it to be put on a bill/tab ... GM tells me how much.. I then deduct the cost at the appropriate time. It doesn't need to be stated in post for it to happen.

Then being lumped into a presumption that "we" as a group are all "automatically" jointly responsible for the actions/or inaction of another is rail-roading though. Had the bouncer simply stopped the "non-payee"... it would have not.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
No problem, have fun.  I start 7/27 and do not return until 8/6

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »
Grobbit point taken, and I would have assumed that each player was deducting their ow drinks, until a player without the means ordered a pitcher of the most expensive drink and several glasses.  Then that player did not pay, and you all headed to the basement together.  Upon your return, you made to leave at which point the proprietor not knowing who had drunk and who had not forced the point on the group.  While I apologize that it felt like railroading from the proprietor's  perspective it was insurance of payment.

I also let it play out as it did because the offending player knew he did not have the mean's to pay for the outlandish order and it was his option to play so as to "stick" the party wit the tab.  I felt obligated to let it play out, as this was not a GM oversight, but a player's specific action.  I saw this as important to establishing the group dynamic.

That being said I have not see a post from I8flesh2 since June 5th and I am assuming that he has dropped out of the game.

Thank you for your feedback and please do not stop providing it.  I hope my explanation makes sense as to why things played out the way they did.  I will try to be more cognizant of this issue in the future.  Play by Post in a social setting is more challenging that I thought.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »
That being said I have not see a post from I8flesh2 since June 5th and I am assuming that he has dropped out of the game.
** I'll poke him (he's active in the game we run together so perhaps missed a notification?)
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
I played it that way because my character is a noble who doesn’t really care about money, and his background disad is that he is an alcoholic which makes his actions plausible.

That being said, the scenario should have played out to bring us together as a group. It most certainly did not do that.

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »
** my absence is because RL has gotten in the way. I may wish to backtrack a little if the GM allows it. Specifically following the Hobbit.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 04:08:43 AM »
In your absence I followed the last set of actions you proposed.  I would allow you to grab a small keg before setting off after the Hobbit.  from there I have no issue with replaying how you follow him, except that initially you are "none to subtle" about the following--as I believe this is what you said at one point, though I ma hard pressed to find it now.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 03:08:52 AM »
I will be on vacation/holiday for the next 10 days or so.  The first 5 days I will be in Yosemite, with little to no connectivity expected.  the later half of the trip I will likely have better internet access but will be touring San Francisco an might not have much time to reply.

I would suggest that you purchase any equipment you want/need to delve into the sewers at 120% the normal cost, unless you can provide a good reason/source of obtaining it cheaper.

As to knowledge about the sewers, I suspect that Grobbit is the only one with a real chance of gaining useful information, but pleas e plead your case if you disagree.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 05:47:00 AM »
Enjoy your trip! (Quite Jealous... never having been to the states... always wanted to go to some of the US/Canadian National parks... On the bright side, not much chance of the local wildlife trying to eat me in Southern England! ;) )

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2019, 01:46:17 AM »

** So now that I'm in the City, am I on the relatively same timeline as the other PCs?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 02:07:32 AM »
@ Old Man, yet to be determined, but here's a hint I am not an insane GM

@ GB I was amazed by the number of non-Americans present in Yosemite,  At one point I was speaking with guy from Luxembourg.  He and his family had run into another family from Luxembourg.  He went on to point out that the entire country has a population of 550,000 and I quipped that 1% was in Yosemite that week.  But there were people from Iceland, Finland, Scotland, Ireland, Britain, Australia, Spain, Italy, France, Poland, Holland, Switzerland, Germany, as well as china, the Philippines, Korea and Japan.  And those are the only the people that I could positively identify.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 03:00:30 AM »
I will be off line, for the most part, for the next few days but will be back with a vengeance on Monday.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
occ: A directional arrow may be helpful.

Sorry for being vague,
I didn't mean a compass rose,
I meant the direction of movement.

Surely we are walking from the left to the right.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
Actually, you emerged through a secret door in the middle of the wall, onto the ledge beside the sewer.  What direction you head next is up to you.

I am waiting for Abdullah's perception roll and then will provide some more information.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Also I will be leaving or a cruise later tonight and will not be online until the 8th.  I will post again before I go hopefully with enough information that you can determine a course of action while I am gone.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »
Not sure why sometimes when I post an image the image appears in the post and others it is just attached.  If anyone can explain I would appreciate it.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »
Maybe it depends on the resolution:
600 x 400 is displayed in the post, larger are attached.

Or it depends on the file space needed:
All bigger than 640 KB are attached ...

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2019, 10:57:41 PM »
Players please feel free to post suggested actions for the NPCs.  I will evaluate each request and respond accordingly.  Obviously, Jeremiah gives all his gold to Bug would not be well received.  But Grobbitt requesting that Quinn hold the lantern while he uses his sling would be much more likely to be performed.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »
All, I am pleased to see that we are back in business after an e-mail to Andrew the supreme Overlord.  Please check in ASAP so that I know we are all back and the I will start up again

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »

Am here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk