Author Topic: The Tavern  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
The Tavern
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:13 PM »
This thread can be used for OOC discussions and for players to interact and discuss the game.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: The Tavern
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:57:44 AM »
A game for the players not the characters:

There are several, well lacking a better phrase, Easter Eggs in my games--these tend to be references to obscure trivia.  The player that first identifies these and makes me aware that they are aware will win 1,000 experience points for their character.  As the eggs get discovered the reward increases.  This makes figuring when to reveal them a strategy, but if you wait too long another might discover the egg first!

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »
That's a stimulus  :mellow:

Should we post our attempt in the tavern or as occ:?
 Easter Eggs...

"Star Wars!" (like the Eastern Eggs on my Star Wars dvds)
1000 exp for me - yesssss!
That was easy ;)
 ____ 

I use in my F2F games "acted perception rolls" (also lacking a better phrase):
Of course it is normal gameplay, an example (first time I used it):

The characters surveil the incoming trade (they were hired to uncover smugglers):
"There is a traffic jam at the gates of the town.
One of the towners leaves his carriage with his chestnut, 
makes a complaint and convices the guards to let him pass,
because as a town-based trader he doesn't need to be searched.
The guards acknowledge his right and unblock his way.
He returns to his carriage and spurs his grey horse.
He passes the other carriage while the guards check the carriage from the outside.
..."

The player who uncovered the trick is still proud of it 15 years later ...
(This might be the reason I still remember the incident,
although they witnessed it at least twice - this I can't remember.)

Today there is the rule:
If there is something strange: Ask, this might something important or just a mistake of the GM.

___

Just for clarification:
The smugglers would have used the same type of horse,
but to make it tellable, I described it that way.
The character might in truth recognize that the trader went back to a different carriage.

edit: added the clarification.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:29:28 PM by Dax »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Please post hear so as not to clutter game threads with out of game discussions.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 12:58:32 AM »
We are pulling together the final characters and I hope to start play no later than this weekend.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 03:21:52 AM »
I have created maps for each of you in a PDF format that provide great detail on the portions of the City that you know best.  However, I cannot upload PDFs, and even as trimmed down JPG's the files are more than twice the size limits.  Also as JPG's they loose resolution when you zoom in.  Any suggestions?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:27:51 PM »
I have created maps for each of you in a PDF format that provide great detail on the portions of the City that you know best.  However, I cannot upload PDFs, and even as trimmed down JPG's the files are more than twice the size limits.  Also as JPG's they loose resolution when you zoom in.  Any suggestions?
Can you upload to a google drive and provide a shareable link?
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 01:09:07 AM »
I was thinking of something similar with an FTP link.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
You should be able to attach PDF's though they are limited in file size... saving them in a lower resolution will bring the size down..

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
I thought I had gotten messages that only Jpgs could be uploaded I will try again with a smaller PDF.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »
Maybe I should have said something sooner, but as Barrow has just learned, I ask for memory rolls frequently.  I try not to be unfair, as I know how much time passes between sessions/posts, but if it is well in the past I feel justified in requesting the roll.  As I have offered this late in that game--so to speak--you may change stats to adjust accordingly, or just learn to live with a poor memory like I do!  ;)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
No worries here JustX. I’m okay with Quinn having a poor memory. I’ll be able to relate to him better lol! And it should make things interesting.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
Maybe the skill Mnemonics could help?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 01:38:08 AM »
That would certainly provide a bonus, if you attempted to commit it to memory.  Not sure it would help to remember a passing event.  Or the name of a student in a class you never really interacted with.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
I also like to use Memory.

I don't understand why this stat is always declared useless.

Playtime passes and the question is does the character remember the name of the merchant? 

Believe me or not:
I already planed to develop Mnemonics.

As Just X stated:
The full benefit of that skill takes effect if you prepare to remember a thing;
you get a look at the treasure map, you try to learn all the names of the students in your class; etc.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:35 PM »
Just a reminder that the link to your map of the City will expire in about 21 hours.  Please down load if you haven't already.  If you have an issue downloading it, you can PM me with an e-mail and I will send it there.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
While we wait on I8's rolls, I will share that with the festival only days away from starting you now the City has gone into high gear.  The start of the festival will bring parties and celebrations through all social levels.  While a City this size never "shuts down" getting anything not related to food and drink grind to a halt for the entire week.  Pick the appropriate social level for you character:

• Your life is consumed by parties, these are not fun events but boring pompous events, where your presence is required as a function of family business, family prestige and obligations to family friends and  the Aristocracy.  While filled with fake smiles and tepid hugs, the parties do provide an opportunity to gain information, any other promises of help made, regardless of how well indention will be lost to alcohol and the next false promises made.  Some families are granted boons and others "granted" duties by the Overlord, these can make and break families financially. 
  • This is a great opportunity to drink and eat at others expense, plus there is a good chance you will get laid!  Those hosting parties are looking to improve their social standing and being seen at the right party can also improve your influence and power.  Also an excellent chance to make business contacts.

• The kids so love the arena!  The spectacle, the pageantry, the action, the entertainment, forgetting your worries for a few hours--what's not to love.  Also the tavern deals are great, the whole family can eat for far less than usual. This is a good time to ask favors and help friends in need--everyone is happier and kinder.

• This is the time to live!  A few coins can make a man feel rich.  A good wager at the arena can make a man wealthy "for a few days".  Drinks and food are cheaper, of if your luck free!  The guilt of the privileged begins to show and tips appear or become larger.  Work is easy and slow, with many early days.
  • It's like shooting fish in a barrel!  The Arena that is; so many distracted marks, such fat purses and it's free to go shopping--hehe, you know picking pockets.  The drunks offer another easy mark wandering around after all the parties end.  Hell, 'most any day you'll find homes empty, as they go to the Arena, and you know if there are kids, and no one is home, that's were they'll be.  Everyone's guard is down--sometimes I have even walked away from an easy score, just cause I felt generous myself.
  • The Haves finally let a few scraps fall--All hail the Overlord.  Don't get me wrong, I will take anything I can get.  But it is so hard to go back to the way it is after a festival.  That one week, you can find enough food to eat like a king, or at least enough to fill a belly.  Coins are easier to come by, as is charity, and even a drink.  Access to the arena provides a place to sit an sleep in relative peace for a few straight hours.
The festival does make everyone happier kinder and usually drunker.  Unless of course you support one of the teams (based upon district of the City with each having a specific color (red, green, blue, yellow, gold and maroon).  In addition to all kinds of food and drink deals, many taverns host contests and games where food, drink and even cash prizes are given away.  There are parties at all social levels, whether this mean sharing a crust with a friend, drinking with pals, a neighborhood dinner party, a Pan inspired debauchery or even the Royal Court trying to out do each other.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have about festival time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:56:29 PM by Just X »

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 09:09:16 PM »
I suppose Bug will "work",
but it depends if ... when he gets his share of the reward.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »
A few things:

• We recently lost 2 player to real life demand, both have assured me that this was not due to my GM style or issues with the campaign.
  • I recently made an assumption with regard to a characters actions, and as inveritably happens with assumptions , I was wrong and looked like an 'arse'.  Should any of you feel that I have not given you a chance to respond, challenge or that you are otherwise being railroaded, please do not hesitate to point this out to me.  I am still trying to perfect my GMing skills in a Play by Post setting.  I am a work in progress and any feedback good or bad is helpful.
  • That being said, I think I have expressed my expectation that player will post weekly, at a minimum.  Please understand that if you do not post within a week + I might take matters into my own hands and roll, post or take actions as needed to keep the game moving forward.
Please let me know if this campaign is meeting your expectations, what you would like to see, what your goals are, and anything else I can do to improve your playing experience.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
I'm on vacation (starting now till end of July);

I have - but only limited access via an elder tablet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk