Author Topic: Bug's Journal  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Dax

• Baron
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
No, everything is there ...

I have to correct the Character Sheet:
- add the second roll of Body Development result "3" (maybe I have to add Con/10)
- add Meditation with one rank == drop one rank of Disguise and drop skill Dance, Noble.
- add Str +15 and Sd +20 bonuses.- appoint all Stat bonuses to the skills.

Equipment:
Normal clothes, a purse (with some coins even if I'm in debt (have to increase my debt accordingly)) and a dagger.

In my room in the Red Pearl Inn:
Additional set of clothing (maybe some dark clothes for stealth activities),
a pick lock set (only carrying when supposedly needed), a backpack for all the treasure I will seize.
___
Additional clothes should include a hood and a coat for rainy days;
and for the winter season some gloves.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 09:22:28 PM »
As to debt, that is something that you will need to pay off eventually, but In the mean time how do you pay for your equipment?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:44 PM »
As a local there are a few things that every resident of the City State knows about:

1.     The Overlord has a secret police force known as the Black Lotus, these anonymous spies are ubiquitous, with some estimates placing them at 1 in 3 citizens are so employed. Regardless, of the reality, everyone within the CSIO knows that everything they do is watched and anything that might portend a riot or rebellion will end in immediate termination.

2.     The Overlord allows any religious practice, and pretty much anything else, as long as the faithful’s support the Overlord is accepted, or at least expected.

3.     All know that the Overlord lives in the Silverlight Palace, which is protected by the  Cryptic Citadel, as well as the Overlord’s Knights and, maybe more importantly, the Palace guards—the 6 Score Swordsmen.

4.     It is illegal for a merchant, inn keep, etc. to make change (read give change when paying a tab) without a money changers license within the City.  Those demanding change will be threatened (and possibly acted on) legal action for violating the law.

5.     An entry tax is charged at the gates to get into the City.  The rate varies depending upon the gate being entered and what the Guards believe your wealth is.  Any entering the City at the southwest corner where the broken bridge is can bypass the End Gate and walk right up Water-Rat Road.  Of course you would have to scale the ruined bridge to get up to the elevation of the City from the estuary below the bridge.

6.     Slavery is legal and almost every business had a few slaves to tend to mounts, do routine cleaning, fetch water, etc.  Others may use many slaves as cooks, bell hops, laborers, etc.  There is a thriving slave market in the plaza in the center of the City.  While no one wants to be a slave, many slaves live better than the lesser commoners, some may liver better than some nobles.

7.     Because the City is the home to many retired military and adventurers, much of the general population is far more capable of handling problems on their own than in other cities.  In addition, many adventurers of all skill levels visit the City.  Therefore, interfering in someone else’s business can prove risky, if not deadly.  The general population should not be mistaken for a “village oaf”, even if that is how they appear

8.     The City’s laws require a crime to be witnessed, if there is no one who will testify as a witness there was no crime.  As a result, most inhabitants of the City “see nothing”, or simply look the other way at any sign of trouble.  However, once arrested you are presumed guilty, with most court proceedings ending in the determination of punishment.  Those with a good Litigation Trickster or very luck may achieve the dismissal of a case.

9.     Punishment in the courts is set by each court and the same infraction tried in Common Court, Noble Court and Clergy Court may have very different punishments.  With the exception of treason, most capital crimes are not punished with execution per say, but instead with being sent to the mines, as a rower on one of the Overlord’s Battle Barges, or an equally short lived but more productive sentence.

10.  The Orcs of the Purple Claw are an ever present threat to the City.   Massive hordes can spring from the huge Dearthwood Forest to the east of the City.  Once across the river, they are at the City walls.  The Overlord had tried to establish a redoubt as a foothold in the Dearthwood, to deter or at least slow such attacks.  The fort is now known as the Redoubt of the Dead.  The guard is on constant watch for evidence of Orcs massing across the river.  Mention of the Purple Claw is enough to make most citizens nervous, and many scurrying for home.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
As of now you have identified 47.5 BP of goods--including a flint & steel and a tinder (highly recommended).  To acquire these you will need to come up with that much cash, or have another plan.  You start with the cloths on your back and a purse.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2019, 11:56:40 PM »
Sorry got called away to dinner.

I am very impressed by your courage in playing in a non-native language. While my German skill in speaking might be a 5-7 my written skill is more like a 3.  I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to try to play by post.  I am very impressed by your ability to communicate in English.  My mother is fist generation German and my father-in-law is first generation Sicilian (first generation means fist to this country).  I have noticed a few grammatical issues in your posts and would offer to assist you in correcting these when I notice them, but do not want to offend you in doing so.  I am appreciative of your efforts to communicate in my language, but offer this only to aid you in perfecting your English writing.  A few years ago in Austria a waitress told me that I spoke beautiful German--My wife asked what she said and I told her, but then said that I could not tell if she was being sarcastic!  I will not comment at all unless you request it.  Thanks again for your effort

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »
Speaking of your debt--you heard a very interesting rumor tonight while at the bar.  Apparently Senator Middleton is offering a 400 GP reward for the safe return of his daughter, Scarlet.  Molematt, the Base over at the White Wake Inn has also offered 50 GP for the girls return.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:09 AM »
Important!!!!

I forgot that you do start with 50 BP in your purse!

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2019, 03:24:56 AM »
Sorry got called away to dinner.

I am very impressed by your courage in playing in a non-native language. While my German skill in speaking might be a 5-7 my written skill is more like a 3.  I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to try to play by post.  I am very impressed by your ability to communicate in English.  My mother is fist generation German and my father-in-law is first generation Sicilian (first generation means fist to this country).  I have noticed a few grammatical issues in your posts and would offer to assist you in correcting these when I notice them, but do not want to offend you in doing so.  I am appreciative of your efforts to communicate in my language, but offer this only to aid you in perfecting your English writing.  A few years ago in Austria a waitress told me that I spoke beautiful German--My wife asked what she said and I told her, but then said that I could not tell if she was being sarcastic!  I will not comment at all unless you request it.  Thanks again for your effort

Please ignore this--another player had commented on English not being his native tongue and a mistaken remember it as you.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Can you please provide a basic character description?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2019, 03:12:47 PM »
Here is a map of the portions of the City you are familiar with given your past experiences.  the Red Pearl Inn is in the top right corner to the right of Water-Rat Road and the White Wake Inn is in the top center, above Caravan Street and to the right of the Temple of the Spider God.

https://files.barryisett.com/public/file/kzVtJGzjy0e9YiRCGIwUzw/Bug's%20Map.pdf

Please download the file before April 12th as the link will expire after that.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
As a thief Bug looks or tries to look like everyone else.
He learned to disguise himself and to act like a different person.
(The next step would be to improve his skill at Mimery and Mimicry.)

Bug's hair is ash blond, his eyes are blue.
He is well shaven (still to young ta have a well grown beard).

His height is a little bit less than the average and he is slender.
Normal clothing in the natural color of linen made him blend into a normal crowd of person.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »

I am very impressed by your courage in playing in a non-native language.
I have noticed a few grammatical issues in your posts and would offer to assist you in correcting these when I notice them, but do not want to offend you in doing so....

Please ignore this--another player had commented on English not being his native tongue and a mistaken remember it as you.

Nice way to tell a fellow American that his english is bad?  ??? 
SCNR

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »

I am very impressed by your courage in playing in a non-native language.

Thank you.

Unthank you.
(Is this possible? ???)
 SCNR again.

But I stay with "Thank you", because I'm german.
And yes, I do have grammar issues.
Feel free to point me to them (If you have time and most important if they hurt your ears or eyes (they are written)).

Regarding the grammar I had an english teacher in "high school" ("Oberschule") who stated correctly that the vocabulary are more important ("I feeling hungry" could be understood but if you miss the words ...).

Maybe it was me.
I don't know who else is german here;  sadly the count of gamers has decreased.

Funny side note: Written english is easier for me, because of my beloved RPG-system. And I read and read books. I also watch movies, but would still understood them better if the actors would hold up speech bubbles.

An example: Sword - you can't hear the "w" in the pronunciation; the german term "Schwert" wouldn't be understandable if you can't hear the "w". It took time until I got this right; a conversation back then would have let you puzzle. 

Today I still need time to post because I double check the words and wordings (leo.org is my friend).

So again feel free to correct me, but it shouldn't consume your time.
rafmeister (Village of Atro) pointed me to a mistake in one of my first posts and I warned him that there will be more.
The same applies for you.

Thank you.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »
Unthank you is a very real thing--at least in my book.  I once had a teacher comment on my new hairstyle, sating I don't remember what ti looked like before, but I like that look better.  She got an unthank you!  As I said my conversational German is somewhat understandable but I have a much harder time with the written language.  As to grammar, it does not hurt my ears, but I don't want to ignore it if you would prefer me to point it out.  And you were not even the player I was thinking about at the time--it is taking me a while to get all of the players and characters straight in my mind.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »
As of now you have identified 47.5 BP of goods--including a flint & steel and a tinder (highly recommended).  To acquire these you will need to come up with that much cash, or have another plan.  You start with the cloths on your back and a purse.

No one was born in debt (OK, except for religious believe and slavery).

I thought of having this "equipment" before I got into debt
(due to the skill Grappling Hook I imagined to own one, but I gave it away for food).

I hope, I can pay for the beer (or let the drunken guy pay ;-) )

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:58 PM »
I believe that I altered the starting cash to 50 BP.  Honestly, I never had a player start in debt before, let alone 2.  After going back and reading the core rules again I figured 50 coins of the level less than you roll would be representative and fair to get started. 

Of course, who knows maybe the drunk guy will pay.  Otherwise you owe 4 copper.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2019, 01:12:04 PM »
... Honestly, I never had a player start in debt before, let alone 2....

Aha!
You now gave away the information, that another character is also in debt. (... didn't you?)

I view this as a roleplaying asset.

Think of Han Solo: "Yes, Greedo. I was just going to see your boss. Tell Jabba I've got his money."
"adjfkajeuroiwcvhskdh shfksahoaiaik" ("If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.")

Or of Goodfellas (IIRC or another Mafia or Mob Movie); where the person who owned one of the protagonist money runs off at sight.
"How much does he owe you" "Twenty bucks" (maybe another amount)
"See it that way: For only 20 bucks this person is out of your life." (once again IIRC).

Imagine the person Bug owes money knows that he is a noble bastard and hopes that he will have a leverage one day.

Therefore he might not be interested in getting he money back soon, but one day with an "interest rate".

So he shows up exactly when Bug (or the other character) doesn't have the money:
"Hmm, what should I do with you. OK, I wait but next time you owe me XX sp."
Everytime Bug wants to pay he can't find him ...

I personally hate it to be in debt, would pay he money back as soon as possible;
we will see if I can roleplay a different approach with Bug. (Or use the above for the other character  ;evil)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2019, 02:33:05 AM »
LOL.  I was aware that I was sharing that information, but now you have given me many ideas on how I can twist this debt against you!!!   ;evil)

But yes your debt is such that It is not due this week, but very expected to be paid.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
You notice a Troll advancing on the bar with intent.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
Quinn

"I agree, I have been staying at this in for a few weeks and have not seen anything indicating nefarious activity--nor have I seen anything that approaches a cleaning crew.  With the exception of Vestose joining us today, the only people I have seen enter the basement are the slaves that make deliveries and the slaves that prepare the food.  The Troll carries up new kegs as needed."

I notice this.

Of course he choose that inn because of the cheap prices - so this could have been me.
But maybe he witnesses more than one of those parties. (Drunken rich kids - drunken and rich! My prey-pattern.)

I will ask him when it seems to be appropriate.
___
The other thing:
Does the original player of this character quit?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk