Author Topic: Bug's Journal  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Bug's Journal
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:26 PM »
With regard to BOs, 1 for a mentor is fine, I would assume that this person has some ability as a thief and can teach you things like Lock-picking, disarm traps, trick for stalk and hide, etc.  He would probably also provide some background on how to act around nobility, i.e heraldry, diplomacy, etc.

A background for noble blood is not required as this was achieved via your social status roll.    You could apply 2 BOs to get 3 rolls on the background tables in RMC,  the tables are split arms and magic so you could can pick between either or mix and match.  typically above 45 gains bonuses to stats i.e. =10, +15 +20 to stats that correspond to the table--i.e. arms ST, QU, CO, AG etc.

A BO for a lawyer contact is another sound option.  This contact could provide introductions to those he comes across in the course of his work, He might be able to search court records for select information,  he might be able to sway a fellow judge if you appear before him, etc.

Once character development is done, I assign 7 background skills in primary skills and another 7 in secondary skills to reflect your upbringing.  Using primary skills for reading and writing certainly fits your background, so we can handle that aspect through those skills.

How you acquired your debt is up to you, but I will need to know before we start play.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
Also forgot to mention another option would be a special item BO option--a gift from your grandpa--a weapon, a magic item, etc.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »
Sorry for all of the addenda

I also realized that you could spend a BO to obtain a formal education--your grandpa would enroll you in a local boarding school that would see to your education.  Just one more option.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »
I scanned the background tables - the bonuses (boni)  to stats are ... too much.
In our Face2Face game I just gave a character +5 to Qu, but much more?

2 BO for three rolls, so I take 2 on skill at arms and 1 on skill at magic.

[tabel]
Skill at Arms   
Rolled 1d100 : 93, total 93
Skill at Arms   
Rolled 1d100 : 84, total 84
Skill at Magic   
Rolled 1d100 : 18, total 18

1 BO = Thief Mentor
1 BO = noble Mentor (my grandpa)
1 BO = formal education (demanded by my grandpa)

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
It seems to be just some bonuses to stats in the Arms section and something funny for magic.

And I mixed it up again:

The noble mentor (my grandpa) is the result of my social status roll;
so the BO goes to the lawyer contact.

My debt is because of my mother;
she never wanted something for herself from the noble family, but I want her to be happy.
I bought her clothes and a comfortable chair and soft cushions.
I thought I could afford this short before I met my grandpa, but he didn't give me money just some requests.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 03:56:38 AM »
So a +20 to SD and a +15 to ST and a +25 to meditation skills (note I use only one skill for Meditation for you the cost is 3/6).  This combined with the +20 SD stat bonus should give you a reasonable chance of meditating with just one skill rank.  Meditation can grant bonuses to solving problems, gaining the effects of additional sleep while meditating, allows a chance at +25 to a single maneuver after meditation  and can even can place you in a coma where you appear dead to casual observation and can increase your healing rate.  While worthless on the surface it might prove a valuable skill to cultivate.

As a side not--yes the stat bonuses seem insanely high from that table, but in game play I have found the not to be unbalancing and as with meditation above, they can drive so interesting character development.

You were educated at the School of Ancient Knowledge--where most of the noble children of the City are schooled.  It  Provided a well rounded education including the arts, geography, earth and life sciences, as well as philosophy and ethics.  As part of your education you are taught to read and write.  They also correct your grammar even when speaking.

Your lawyer (Litigation Trickster) contact is Ribald Richard (pronounced Reach-hard), who is known for his double entendres and off colour comments.  Despite this he does seem successful and his comedy seems help his cases.  He has occasional need of someone to trail persons of interest and report on their whereabouts.  He has the ability to search records from the merchant and low courts.  He is capable of defending you in either of these courts, but much less so in the other courts, not that you would have much need for the Canon court (religious) or the Royal court (nobles).

Your thieving mentor was actually more of a tutor in the subtle arts.  He is rather skilled at lock very concerned and as a corollary is concerned about spotting and disarming traps.  He has instilled a strong sense of planning prevents problems.  If you plan for the heist and plan for contingencies, you know what to do when the $hit hits the fan, so to speak.  You also get a sense that despite being a thief, Alryan is an honorable man. 

He shares with you that his grandfather who was a member of the City;s Guild, back when it was a club for gentleman and promoted the best of the subtle arts.  He constantly harps on the fact that they have forgone the worship of Crono, a patron deity if thieves.  You can tell that he wants you to ask ore about Crono, but he does not force the issue. 

He trains you how to pick locks and has provided a series of progressively more difficult locks to try.  He also shares that his grandfather's best friend, Lefty, swore by wrist guards when picking locks.  He shows you his, a set of gauntlets that protect the wrists while leaving full flexibility in the fingers.  He says Lefty know what he was taking about, because he was a master lock picker until he lost his right hand to a scything blade trap.

Alrayn, told you after your last session he had some personal business to attend to and not to worry if he didn't come around  for a while.  You have lived on the streets long enough to know when someone was on the run--those furtive glances over his shoulder, different hair colors, different kinds of cloths, even different skin color.  A sudden disappearance could only mean that he fears those hunting him are close.

This leaves one question where do you live--I am looking for a general idea i.e. an inn, an apartment, a squat, etc.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
Once I had a hide-out in a squat, but it didn't go well ...
Now I live in an inn.

And I prepare my room up under the roof that it might be possible to enter (and leave) my room by climbing out of the rooflight.

He shares with you that his grandfather who was a member of the City;s Guild, back when it was a club for gentleman and promoted the best of the subtle arts.  He constantly harps on the fact that they have forgone the worship of Crono, a patron deity if thieves.  You can tell that he wants you to ask ore about Crono, but he does not force the issue.

I surely asked about his believes.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 01:50:26 AM »
I had a bunch of stuff typed up on this god, but now cannot find the hard or electronic copies.  I have found some of the original source material..

The god's name is Corrno, god of the thieves.  His holy symbol is a set of lock picks, Alryan will provide you a silver holy symbol on a similar chain if you express any interest.

Alryan tells you that in the "old days" the guild (the thieve's guild) didn't collect dues, the member's donated a 10% tithe of every take to the priests.   The priests provided healing, blessings and also fencing of goods too hot to handle inside the City. 

There do not appear to be actual prayers or worship services, just a series of oaths/curses that invoke Corrno's body parts.  Examples included "By Corrno's fingers open this lock"   "By Corrno's toes get me away from these guards", "By Corrno's eye's help me spot this trap", "by Corrno's pizzle where is the mechanism for the secret door?"

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:38 AM »
Feel free to propose a heist or other action while we wait for the last few players to finish up their characters

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Oh,
mine isn't finished yet:

You have to state the effect of my education
You were educated at the School of Ancient Knowledge--where most of the noble children of the City are schooled.  It  Provided a well rounded education including the arts, geography, earth and life sciences, as well as philosophy and ethics.  As part of your education you are taught to read and write.  They also correct your grammar even when speaking.

besides Administration and Dance, Noble.
especially my starting language(s) (spoken/written).

And I think we should make an adjustment:
...and a +25 to meditation skills (note I use only one skill for Meditation for you the cost is 3/6)
The original text stated something about elvish training; I want to stick with it:
So I transfer my second rank Perception (1/3) to Meditation (3/6). 
(My fidget behaviour was countered by said elvish training.)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
I know that there wasn't any dancing at school--you were taught by "way too serious" monks--think Catholic school.  However, you did get a great opportunity to see how the nobles interacted with each other and the world in general. In many classes you found that how the perceived the world was from a perspective pf entitlement that you found hard to fathom.  Terms like famine or even hunger seemed completely foreign to them.  Manual labor was pulling on their boots, there were servants for everything else including pulling off the boots.

The school certainly provided and excellent case study in administration.  Covering everything from rotating classes through various classrooms, feeding sever hundred students, housing a similar number and addressing the needs of several score teachers--even if they were monks.

Feel free to take ranks in meditation, and it could come in handy; but I would say maybe only one to remove the no skill penalty.  Otherwise my advice would be to keep pumping up perception, as I think it will serve a thief far better than meditation, at least early on.  Your meditation training came from monks not elves, but provides the same bonuses.   As an aside not all students received the meditation training, apparently certain students were selected by masters to receive various physical training.  You recall seeing several students being taught martial arts n the common area after meals at one point.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
As to the inn, there are several choices:

The White Wake Inn is very close to the School of Ancient Knowledge and is well known for its cheap (4 cp/night), but dirty rooms.  The Hostler ensures that all are safe no matter how many personal rights need to be violated--sounds worse than it is. The inn is on Caravan Street opposite the City Jail, between the End Gate and the Gate of the Gods.

The Red Pearl Inn is located west of the End Gate on Water-Rat Road in the heart of the waterfront.  While the belly dancer attracts sailor and pirates in schools like feeding sharks, the overnight clientele is higher end, mostly ship captains and foreign merchants. Rate is 2/SP/night.

The Sword-Rat Resthouse promises little rest, even the owner complains loudly of bed-bugs and vermin.  However,  mercenaries and barbarians seem willing to pay the 1 silver per night rate for the pleasure.  Located north of the Gate of the Gods on Shadow Street in the vicinity of the Thieves Guild.

The nastily named Gouge Eye Inn is run by an intelligent troll and caters to guardsmen, kobolds and bandits.  Located  one block north of the Gate of the Gods on Guardsman Road.  the rate for this place is 4 sp/night.

The base room cost does not include any meals, all of which are extra.  But you know that everything is negotiable.

There are other inns too but these seems the most likely given your profession, standing within the city and available funds.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
The Red Pearl Inn is the one (and the reason I'm in debt).

ByTheWay is it still gold-silver-bronze-copper for the main coins?
If so, it is a big jump:
White Wake Inn       4cp/night
Red Pearl Inn            2sp/night

I know that there wasn't any dancing at school--you were taught by "way too serious" monks--think Catholic school. ...
OK, I addressed this already.
The skill is about behavior, we could rename it to Etiquette with the same skill costs
or you state that etiquette is part of Diplomancy (I have ... Bug has one rank in it). <- This sound reasonable.

And by this trick I will get two (2) develpoment points; 2/3 of the needed points for one rank of Meditation.
For the missing one I would drop Disguise (1/3) both at apprentice development.
Feel free to take ranks in meditation, and it could come in handy; but I would say maybe only one to remove the no skill penalty.  Otherwise my advice would be to keep pumping up perception, as I think it will serve a thief far better than meditation, at least early on.
Normally I pump up Perception also, but changing something to my "advantage", should hurt a little bit,
therefore I thought of taking the rank off Stalk&Hide or Perception (and I don't want to give up any selected skill).

With Meditation I could also find "rest" in the Sword-Rat Resthouse ...

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
By The Way is it still gold-silver-bronze-copper for the main coins?

yes but at the low end there are also tin and iron pieces.  Iron is very little used, because the humidity causes it to rust and the rust stains hands, clothes, pretty much everything.  Only the poorest of the poor would even consider keeping one let alone several.  Basically the minting of the coins--now knows as Rustys--was a failed experiment.

If so, it is a big jump:
White Wake Inn         4cp/night
Red Pearl Inn               2sp/night

The White Wake is known for its low price, but it is also not clean--floors are not swept, linens are not cleaned, dust is thick, etc.

While the Red Pearl caters to a more up scale clientele.  Also the 2 SP per night is much more the norm, if not more, for a room in the City.  As I have mentioned before it is a bit like a gold rush town, with the influx of adventurer loot driving costs up.

The skill is about behavior, we could rename it to Etiquette with the same skill costs
or you state that etiquette is part of Diplomacy (I have ... Bug has one rank in it). <- This sound reasonable.

I typically use Diplomacy to cover etiquette, but would not rule out a specialized aspect focusing on noble manners.  Diplomacy can be used in other settings to--for example one of my players made a spectacular roll for Diplomacy in legal court and saved his butt as well as the rest of the party.  I would also assume that it can be used when dealing with unfamiliar cultures.  I think that I gave you one rank as a background skill to reflect your noble heritage. You can apply the DP spent on Dance, Noble or Folk to Diplomacy if you want, not sure if that is a wash cost wise or if you might score a couple of extra DP.  If you choose to specialize to reflect the differences between the nobles and the lesser folk that is fine too. and I will check costs, but am inclined to provide a lower cost if the skills are limited to how to interact with the upper and lower class.  I see this as more of a social chameleon within a given culture.  And as I think about it I might make it one skill based upon the culture and the higher the roll the better you fit into the given setting--i.e. the dive bar or the courtly fete.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 02:46:37 PM »
Diplomancy is also used to prevent misbehavior, for meaningless small talk etc. between different cultures, so why not between lesser folk and high-borne.
I will shift Dance, Noble and Disguise to Meditation. Dance, Noble will be dropped. .   

My grandpa forbid me to lodge cheaper than the Red Pearl Inn ...

ByTheWay is it still gold-silver-bronze-copper for the main coins?
If so, it is a big jump:
White Wake Inn       4cp/night
Red Pearl Inn            2sp/night

I thought it was a typo ...

And in the Red Pearl Inn I will find my victims:
...the overnight clientele is higher end, mostly ship captains and foreign merchants....

I party with them (Dance, Folk), sing with them, drink with them (Drug Tolerance Alkohol) and bring them home (maybe only to their room) (Acting drunk). While doing so some coins will change owner (Pick Pockets) - Not being to greedy, it should look like just spending too much.

And remember I should fit into the group, not be their target (Sleuth).
___
Still don't know the starting language (?/?).

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 02:42:44 AM »
Diplomancy is also used to prevent misbehavior, for meaningless small talk etc. between different cultures, so why not between lesser folk and high-borne.
I will shift Dance, Noble and Disguise to Meditation. Dance, Noble will be dropped. .   

I agree that Diplomacy can be used to cover interactions between the noble and common classes.  So does that mean that Dance, Folk DPs are being placed in Diplomacy?

And remember I should fit into the group, not be their target (Sleuth).

Quite to the contrary I suspect that the group will want you because of your skills.  Also remember that only one is in the employ of the City and then as more of an investigator than as a cop.

Still don't know the starting language (?/?).

You would start with 6 ranks of Common spoken, your education would add a 7th rank to spoken and 8 ranks of Common Written.  The other language routinely spoken in this area is Altanian (the language of the barbarians that live to the south in  Barbarian Altanis).  Some of these Barbarians hold seats in the Senate, but most are nomadic.  Beat a 45 on a d100 roll and you will also have 5 ranks in Altanian Spoken.  This language is generally not used by the nobles, as it is inferior. 

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
Dance, Folk and Singing is for partying with the normal people.
Maybe I should name it Drinking Singing.

I developed Dance, Noble to cover my education to behave while interacting with my grandpa (Today's dancing schools are still doing this):
"Don't put you feet on the table.
Sit straight.
Close your mouth while chewing.
etc. "

But good manners are also part of Diplomancy, or better the beginning of it.
 (On the other side burping at the dinner table was once normal.)
So my first rank cover this.
I already developed a first rank of Diplomancy, not need to drop Dance, Noble for it.

I will drop Dance, Noble and Disguise at the apprentice development for Meditation.

Quite to the contrary I suspect that the group will want you because of your skills.

Good to hear: They supposely want me for being me, not just for my looks. ;-)

You would start with 6 ranks of Common spoken, your education would add a 7th rank to spoken and 8 ranks of Common Written.

Nice, if I have time to write them down, I can phrase my sentences better.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 01:03:28 PM »
Beat a 45 on a d100 roll and you will also have 5 ranks in Altanian Spoken.

Chance for speaking Altanian:
Altanian   if 45 <
Rolled 1d100 : 54, total 54

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
So you can speak Altanian too.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 12:51:57 AM »
Have you selected your equipment?

Is there anything else that we need to finalize before we begin play?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk