Author Topic: Jeremiah's Journal  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Jeremiah's Journal
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
As weird as it sounds that is correct.  Just because your starting cash was in gold does not mean that some of it could be in silver or bronze or even lower.  For one in your station I would think that you would not use less than bronze commonly.  In lower circles or even with servants you can readily find someone whole will trade 9 BP for 1 SP, which is the same cost as Ketit the money changer (3206 on the map), but maybe more convenient.  In most cases, the purchase is combined with other dealings to reach the desired cost.  For example, the 1 GP spent on the dagger, many have also included a 7 SP deposit on a better dagger with the merchant keeping out an eye for what you want as the interest on that deposit.  So he will let you now as soon as he finds a magic or superior crafted dagger.  Alternately, a room at the inn might be negotiated to include meals or drinks. The armorer might include a shield or gauntlets to round out the coin you have.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
I'll keep my currency as 10 sp, 10 bp, and the rest in gp.
I annex the equipment roster. My current cash is 12,328 gp.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
I'll keep my currency as 10 sp, 10 bp, and the rest in gp.
I annex the equipment roster. My current cash is 12,328 gp.

!2,328 GP?  Because as an American (and not that I am right thinking on this, that means 12 thousand 2 hundred and 28 GP) now if that comma indicates that the rest are after the decimal that makes more sense.   :rolleyes:

And just for the record I cross my 7's.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:52:27 AM by Just X »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 12:22:32 AM »
Your "handler/boss/fellow detective" informs you that for now, you are basically on probation and that you need to gain some real experience on the streets.  He suggests that you can gain some credibility if you solve a high profile case.  He says, "You are in luck, just such a case currently exists within the City.  A senator has misplaced his daughter!  Senator Samuel Middleton's daughter, Scarlet, disappeared last weekend.  Apparently she was slumming in the White Wake Inn with some friend, when she "disappeared" from the friends.  The only thing the friends could add was that a swarm of rates where attacking her red dress."  He goes on to inform you that, "Molematt the Base, the bar tender at the White Wake has offered a 50 GP reward.  He caters to the students of the School of Ancient Knowledge and prides himself on running a safe establishment. this is probably why he has offered the reward."  After a sip of his Bourbon he adds, "Molematt's reward is yours to keep for a job well done, but as son as you find the girl, bring her here so that I can arrange an appropriate reveal to best position and display your skills.  This is the surest way for you to get beyond the probation and become a detective in your own right."   After another sip he asks, "Do you have any question?"

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:30 AM »
Just before you leave he looks up from his drink and says, "Oh by the way, there is a very odd little fellow I have become aware of. He is a Stout Hobbit, name of Grobbitt Fatbottom or some such.  He has some connection to the lesser guilds--you know those no one wants to take credit for, sewer workers, manure haulers and such.  He might prove helpful in this matter.  If you are looking to seek him out try Greta Strongbow, she is a dwarf with the Guild of Technical Drafts and Papers. They have been frequently spotted in the northeast corner of the City."  Another sip of Bourbon and he adds, "Oh and the little fellow sports a leather baret, should make him easier to spot!"

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
I frequent some of my usual informers/contacts to see whether they know qanything abut the disappearance of Senator Samuel Middleton's daughter, Scarlet.

(This will probably be a streetwise skill check, contacting the underground, maybe with Interrogation, as the complimentary skill, no? I use the RMFRP School of Hard Knoks - The skill companion- in my RM2 games as it is very well done.)

I also go to Greta Strongbow, the dwarf with the Guild of Technical Drafts and Papers to see whether I can find the Hobbit Grobbitt Fatbottom.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2019, 03:06:20 AM »
The skills you mentioned are appropriate.  Let e take a look at Hard Knocks and make sure I am on board but that sounds good.

As to costs, please take a look at how I have revised things--I have revised the purchase list to include some equipment that I think someone in your position would have (i.e. scabbards and sheath; flit and steel; and linen cloths instead of wool)  I have also provided a list of additional clothing (far right) that I feel would be appropriate, recalling that the Sheriff said that you need to represent the Overlords appropriately attired and fresh clothing and with suitable hygiene.  Based upon this you would spend 8.2684 gold in total. 

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2019, 03:30:34 AM »
I have looked at SOHK and agree with your assessment.  Please provide a streetwise roll to see what you learn

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2019, 03:56:32 AM »
Also please provide specific questions you may have in addition to the general question what do you know about the disappearance. depending upon the questions and answers interrogation may come more into play.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:58:46 AM by Just X »

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
First, Jeremiah went to talk with Gerik, a Protection Racketteer. He had few friends much less among the police. ... "I know your feelings, Gerik, but another day it could be your girl or even your wife...!" This would be a Hard -10 Maneuver to get what the crook knew.

Second, if he got the contact name to the kidnapping there would be a lot of information to gather in an Easy +25 Interrogation Maneuver ... ?

Streetwise, +25.
Interrogation, +30.

First maneuver, using the rule in RMCompanion II for Compliemtary skills where it says that if successfdul you may add one half of the skill bonus to the main roll.
Compl. Skill: Interr.
Rolled 1d100+25 : 46 + 25, total 71

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
Nope, failed. Let's try Streetwise with Gerik without the Compl. skill,

Rolled 1d100+15 : 84 + 15, total 99

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
What do you make of this last maneuver, Just X? In my game it would be a failure below 100 or 111, it depends.

If it fails I just go and look for Fatbottom, I'm just a rookie.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2019, 02:47:38 PM »
You don't find anyone who knows much about the disappearance.  What you do get is mostly rumor and hearsay--the girl disappeared from a crowded bar, with no apparent witnesses.  Her friends claimed that there was a swarm of rat attacking her red dress.  From what you can gather the rat swarm caused a panic in the bar and when it subsided the girl was gone. While this is frustrating, the complete  lack of knowledge of perpetrators, or details or cause from multiple contacts on the street seems to indicate that this was not a snatch done for profit by the standard list of criminal suspects.  A bit mire digging confirms that the Senator has not received a ransom demand.

Where do you being your search for the Hobbit?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 06:06:55 PM »
Can you please provide a basic character description?

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:15 PM »
I go to Greta Strongbow, the dwarf with the Guild of Technical Drafts and Papers to see whether I can find the Halfling Grobbitt Fatbottom.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2019, 11:48:45 PM »
Character description,

The PC wears a white silk shirt of above average quality; a gaberdine that conceals his weapons; an orange phrygian bonnnet; and a short brown beard.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2019, 12:33:55 AM »
After some searching you find Greta. She is a bearded Dwarven woman that seems very self confident, with dirt under her finger nails and ink stains on her fingers.  When you ask about Grobbitt, she is at first elusive not acknowledging that she know him without denying it.  Eventually, in exasperation she informs you that his name is Widebottom, not Fatbottom.  Then she demands to know what trouble he is in!

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
Jeremiah

I tell her who I'm after, and we both having similar competences, ask her whether she doesn't want to pool resources on this case. I think we should investigate were-rats.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Here is a map of the City based upon your prior experiences, the Noble, Temple, Courts and Palace Districts you know from your socila rank, the others you learned while training as a sleuth.

https://files.barryisett.com/public/file/0pSkW8bp30a8lGwivPdkAg/Jeremiah%20map.pdf

Please be sure to download the file prior to April 12th as the link will expire after that.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »
Her attitude changes when you mention involving Grobbitt in some investigation. While she was elusive in her responses before, now she becomes helpful and even volunteers information.  She says, "Grobbitt lives at the Club, which is at#5 Damp Street.  But he mentioned going to a place called the White Wake Inn to check on something.  He has so little direction in life, I think that the idea of investigating were-rats is excellent it will give him something to focus his attention on!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk