Author Topic: Jeremiah's Journal  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Jeremiah's Journal
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »
Not sure I am seeing it, but your totals look right now, I am still only seeing 2 ranks for body development, but I also gave one for a background rank so you should have 3.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
Added that, Just X.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 02:21:05 AM »
With respect to background, a few questions

• Single parent--what happened to Mom?
  • As a first son of a courier, you have led a privileged life-- where you educated by tutors or at a local boarding school?
  • There is no such thing as a police academy.  You have enough family pull have apprenticed to one of the top 5 detectives within the City (public and private), is this the path you wish to follow?
  • Do you live in town or in a villa outside of town?  It is possible that the family lives in a villa and that there is a townhouse in the City.your call?
Also did I post something about your career already?  I recall writing it but can't find it posted?

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
With respect to background, a few questions

Single parent--what happened to Mom?
-Divorced.
As a first son of a courier, you have led a privileged life-- where you educated by tutors or at a local boarding school?
-Boarding school.
There is no such thing as a police academy.  You have enough family pull have apprenticed to one of the top 5 detectives within the City (public and private), is this the path you wish to follow?
-Yes.
Do you live in town or in a villa outside of town?  It is possible that the family lives in a villa and that there is a townhouse in the City.your call?
-I live in a townhouse; rarely visit the villa.
Also did I post something about your career already?  I recall writing it but can't find it posted?
-I think that was in the Recruitment thread.

How much money do I start with, Just X?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
You attended the School of Ancient Knowledge, the premier school for the education of the up and coming within the City State, it provided a well rounded education, including the arts, geography, earth and life sciences, mathematics and economics, as well as philosophy and ethics. 

I will provide the name of you mentor in detecting later.

I will also provide a map of the City and the location of your townhouse shortly.  I assume that there is a nanny to watch the child while you are out?  Also please provide name, sex and age of the child.

Starting cash is 1D100-25, if you go negative it means a debt, which will need to be explained, i.e. gambling, business deal gone bad, etc.  Also how does your family make the bulk of its money?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 08:10:37 PM »
Just looking through recruitment and I see that you rolled a 43 for starting cash, so with the -25 you get 18 GP to start.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »
I have gone through and added some bonuses that were a result of Background Options.  After review of every thing it looks like you have one BO  left of the 8--3 for magical training, 2 for 3 background rolls, 2 for a +10 to a primary skill. 

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
Ok, thanks for the character sheet, Just X.

The girl's name is Erika, 10 years old. She's started going to school.

Main income was working for the police, but you might come up with a different one.

I'll roll in the Arms section, Companion I, for my last B.O.

Rolled 1d100 : 71, total 71

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
71-79: + 15 to CO modification. Do I add +15 to the Constitution stat bonus?
Cheers,
DW

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:01 AM »
71-79: + 15 to CO modification. Do I add +15 to the Constitution stat bonus?

Yes that is correct.

Ok, thanks for the character sheet, Just X.

The girl's name is Erika, 10 years old. She's started going to school.

Main income was working for the police, but you might come up with a different one.

Starting school--there is no public school system, she could attend the same boarding school that you did, otherwise schooling tends to be done by tutors.  It is possible that you could find someone to tutor her in their home.

Family income--I actually was looking for how your parents and theirs made their wealth.  For example, does the family own a number of farms that produce food for the City; are the import/export traders; slave traders; etc.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
Ok, for the daughter I'd go on a tutor.

For the family income I'd go on Import/Export trade, Just X.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
Thx. 

With import export your family would likely run caravans up and down the old South Road, from the Dwarven stronghold at Thunder Crag in the north to the lands of the World Emperor to the far south.  You might also have shipping that would use the Estuary of Raglaroon to reach the  Wine Dark Sea, from which most ports in the know world can be reached.  Of course the Skandik raiders (Vikings) and the Azurian Brotherhood of Pirates  (aka Aritar of Tarantis's goons) are a constant threat.  At least if you are willing to pay the extortion price you can by protection from the Azurians.

Osumare, is your daughter's tutor, despite being from the jungles to the south of the Fog Bound Forest, she is quite learned and reportedly apprenticed to one of the sages here in the City States Sages' Guild.  She speaks several languages including Elven and is particularly knowledgeable on astronomy and life sciences (biology).

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »
Please take a look at the magic thread and consider which of the 4 tapping options you would want to employ.  At this point the choice doesn't matter much but will add flavor to casting.  The default option tends to be Personal Mana (the Power points in the books for essence and mentalism). The drawback is that to those who are attuend, you will glow and the more power you have the brighter that glow.

Granted is the typical channeling mana of clerics and the like.  When charged with a spell you will also glow like the personal mana, but this the signature of the grantor (deity, devil  or demon).  However, when not holding a spell, you will not give off an aura.  You are dependent upon the grantors generosity to acquire any power.

Ambient and Fixed mana are the newer options. 

Fixed mana can best be thought of as batteries, the typical D&D spell spell component.  The power points required to cast the spell are drawn from these material components.  One option for Fixed mana is to use gems that function as rechargeable batteries, as long as you do not drawn all of the power out of a gem, it will recharge over time.  The other option is to collect bit and pieces that contain power--typically this amounts to monster parts, but can be as mundane as animal and plant parts.  The more mundane the material, the large the quantity of material needed to generate a given amount of mana.  While you must carry the material, it does not give off a magical signature.

Ambient mana is that mana that flows through and around everything.  Ultimately it is where Fixed mana gets its power, but instead of collecting bits that have stored the mana, the Ambient cast summons the mana from around himself.  The advantage of this style is that the caster can tap into lay lines and earth nodes, where the amount of mana that can be gained can be many times greater than normal.  However, in normal cases it may take a few minutes to gather the needed mana.  You do not glow even when casting, as the mana is funneled not the the spell as it is collected.  You do not need to worry about carrying mana around or begging some other entity for it.  However, if you are on a ley line or in an earth node and don't know it you could harness too much mana and suffer mana burn (similar to Magic the Gathering).  to prevent this issue, most Ambient casters have a bag of tricks to assess the local flow of mana.

As I said the choice is yours, and any choice is a reasonable choice.  Unless you have a strong religious leaning, Granted is probably not your thing.  While there is a lot to be said for Fixed mana, having to collect and carry your power might be an issue, but a few gems could probably be more than enough for your casting needs.  Personal would be a great choice, unless you worry about stealth in the presence of those attuned to magic. Ambient may be a good choice if you do not plan on moving too far out side the City as the magical flow should be fairly constant.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 01:59:47 AM »
I'd choose Fixed mana if the gems are easily aquired to a rookie like my character.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:23 AM »
Yes, gems are reasonably easy to come buy given sufficient cash. The preferred jeweler of the aristocracy is Dukas Perm located closest to the Grand Gate and opposite the Silverlight Palace.  He charges a premium for his work and is remiss to negotiate as he believes that this devalues his brand.  Instead,  Thintway, located near the End Gate, just northwest of the Temple of Pegana.  This less than scrupulous merchant boosts the appearance of his goods using illusions.  This provides a higher mark-up on jewelry that could off-set the cost of gems if the buyer negotiated  well.  Additionally, Thintway is reported to sell minor magic items; although, this boarders on the illegal and would only be discussed with trusted customers. 

So yes gems are available here, and also if there was a way to purchase them from loot laden adventures there would likely be an endless supply.  It is rumored that a gnome in the black market offers 10% more than the value for gems.

Edit 3/20/19 spelling
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:29:24 PM by Just X »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 04:37:55 AM »
Just checking to see if you have the character fully developed and equipment purchased?

As to fixed mana:

Most precious stones (true gems) will grant 1 PP per carat --> approximates to 1PP per GP of true value--not what you paid or can sell it for, but an appraised value.

Semi-precious stones will grant 1 PP per gram of weight.

Most common stone will not grant any mana and if it does it is at a rate of 1PP per tonne.

You can plan you gem needs accordingly.

Also be aware that there is a bonus to using "associated" mana sources.  For example, you wish to cast a spider climb spell that costs 3 PP if you can find a spider and a bit of web, they will contribute 1PP to the spell and the rest will need to be drawn from a gen or other source.

Animals and plants also contain mana, but there using the mana genially consumes the source.  So while you might be able to tap a rabbit's foot once for 3 PP, once done the foot is consumed and can not be reused.

Once you are fully equipped please post your current possessions.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:44:53 AM by Just X »

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm not in a hurry to buy gems, as I don't have spells that are helpful at this level. I'll have to level up at about level 3. For the equipment, I'll have a broadsword and a dagger, and something more Jeremiah might know that is helpful. Do I subtract these from my starting cash of 18 gp?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2019, 12:42:58 AM »
Yes, you subtract the equipment for the starting cash.  You will need at least 1-2 gems for the power points that would have been needed for your training.  Each gem would only need to provide 2 power points--i.e. a total of 4 GP of gems.  As to other equipment...I would recommend a notebook and pen/charcoal stylus; some type of fire starter and a tinderbox; lock pick kit; some clothing including a cloak; you might also want a satchel or pouch or something to keep your stuff in.   I would also suggest a weapon belt.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
As a local there are a few things that every resident of the City State knows about:

1.     The Overlord has a secret police force known as the Black Lotus, these anonymous spies are ubiquitous, with some estimates placing them at 1 in 3 citizens are so employed. Regardless, of the reality, everyone within the CSIO knows that everything they do is watched and anything that might portend a riot or rebellion will end in immediate termination.

2.     The Overlord allows any religious practice, and pretty much anything else, as long as the faithful’s support the Overlord is accepted, or at least expected.

3.     All know that the Overlord lives in the Silverlight Palace, which is protected by the  Cryptic Citadel, as well as the Overlord’s Knights and, maybe more importantly, the Palace guards—the 6 Score Swordsmen.

4.     It is illegal for a merchant, inn keep, etc. to make change (read give change when paying a tab) without a money changers license within the City.  Those demanding change will be threatened (and possibly acted on) legal action for violating the law.

5.     An entry tax is charged at the gates to get into the City.  The rate varies depending upon the gate being entered and what the Guards believe your wealth is.  Any entering the City at the southwest corner where the broken bridge is can bypass the End Gate and walk right up Water-Rat Road.  Of course you would have to scale the ruined bridge to get up to the elevation of the City from the estuary below the bridge.

6.     Slavery is legal and almost every business had a few slaves to tend to mounts, do routine cleaning, fetch water, etc.  Others may use many slaves as cooks, bell hops, laborers, etc.  There is a thriving slave market in the plaza in the center of the City.  While no one wants to be a slave, many slaves live better than the lesser commoners, some may liver better than some nobles.

7.     Because the City is the home to many retired military and adventurers, much of the general population is far more capable of handling problems on their own than in other cities.  In addition, many adventurers of all skill levels visit the City.  Therefore, interfering in someone else’s business can prove risky, if not deadly.  The general population should not be mistaken for a “village oaf”, even if that is how they appear

8.     The City’s laws require a crime to be witnessed, if there is no one who will testify as a witness there was no crime.  As a result, most inhabitants of the City “see nothing”, or simply look the other way at any sign of trouble.  However, once arrested you are presumed guilty, with most court proceedings ending in the determination of punishment.  Those with a good Litigation Trickster or very luck may achieve the dismissal of a case.

9.     Punishment in the courts is set by each court and the same infraction tried in Common Court, Noble Court and Clergy Court may have very different punishments.  With the exception of treason, most capital crimes are not punished with execution per say, but instead with being sent to the mines, as a rower on one of the Overlord’s Battle Barges, or an equally short lived but more productive sentence.

10.  The Orcs of the Purple Claw are an ever present threat to the City.   Massive hordes can spring from the huge Dearthwood Forest to the east of the City.  Once across the river, they are at the City walls.  The Overlord had tried to establish a redoubt as a foothold in the Dearthwood, to deter or at least slow such attacks.  The fort is now known as the Redoubt of the Dead.  The guard is on constant watch for evidence of Orcs massing across the river.  Mention of the Purple Claw is enough to make most citizens nervous, and many scurrying for home.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2019, 09:45:51 PM »
Hi Just X,

I don't understand, 
4. It is illegal for a merchant, inn keep, etc. to make change (read give change when paying a tab) without a money changers license within the City.

Is change, money change? So if I bought a dagger (costs 3 sp) with 1 gp, I couldn't ask for the money change? English is not my first language.

Cheers,
DW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk