Author Topic: Zariya Savindy's Journal  (Read 12337 times)

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Zariya Savindy's Journal
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »

Nice and don't plan to fight, in pits or otherwise, or duel, on streets or otherwise, but will gladly patch my compatriots afterwards or provide them with liquid benefit beforehand (herbals balms, perhaps poisons etc.).
Starting cash
Rolled 1d100-25 : 52 - 25, total 27

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »
Sorry must be confused I thought at one point you were looking to change profession completely.  Same race as before or changing that as well?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »

Human is fine, also nomad horsemen fine would explain his outdoor skills and knowledge of herbs and the like. But yes, changing class from Lay Healer to ROCO II's Scholar.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Just X, looking at background options. How much does that bonus to surgery cost and what specifically does it give me?

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2019, 12:33:32 AM »
Thinking perhaps:

Outdoorsman - 150 pts

Herbalist - 125 pts

Unbeliever - 50 pts (unless you consider poisons and herbs to be magical "devices")

325 pts plus the surgeon and then will see what is left of the 500.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2019, 04:31:10 AM »
The surgery bonus was based upon achieving a >= 30 bonus (skill ranks, stat, etc.) to the diagnosis skill.  With that skill you can specialize in one species or generalize (all species).  If you specialize, the bonus provides a +30 to the surgery skill when operating on the selected species.  Surgery covers actions from stitches, to acupuncture, to actual surgery like and appendectomy, amputation, etc.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 04:40:00 AM »
So with respect to the background options, the Diagnosis skill is not a true BO, but a +15 to a secondary skill would get you half way there without a single rank or stat bonus.  Diagnosis for a Scholar has a skill rank cost of 2/5.  The stats for that skill are In and RE.

Oh and poisons and herbs are mundane and not considered Magical in terms of an unbeliever.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

OK, cool. I will start his skill build out and spend the rest of the Background points. Achieving a 30 in Diagnosis is doable (could even spend 50 option points on a +15 if short - call it an "instinctive approach")

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 03:12:35 AM »

Here's a 1st cut. I assume unspent points on the primary skill page can be used on the secondary page (we always treated the skills as one huge bunch ... )

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
It looks like I provided you too many background ranks, others were getting 7 primary and 7 secondary but I have an idea on a way to keep things balanced. Give me a couple of days to work through it, Also think if you had some extra DP, where you would want to spend them--I am guessing in the range of 10-15 extra points might be available.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »

Okie dokie, let me know

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
Here is a word document that contains a listing of the herbs that you have found prior to the start of your adventure.  Please let me know if you have any issues with opening the document.  But I figure in this format it is easier to edit as you move forward.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
As I worked on developing your background it has grown far longer than I thought, so I am braking it into smaller bites.

Zariya Savindy’s Background
Part 1

You and your clan are the descendants of the original horse nomads, the savage barbarians that ultimately conquered the decadent arcane masters to the east and south.  However, through inter-breeding most of your people were assimilated into the other two groups to become the Kingdom of Karak.  While the clan has little respect for softer members of the kingdom, they are loyal. 

Your clan is the horse nomads the Thunder of the Plains.  Your clan’s home territory is Pathrakhia ranging from Last Stand Hills to the north to Mountains of Sacrifice and Valley of Tombs in the south and Blood Soaked Peaks in the east to the Wild Mountains in the west.  The central portions of the range are verdant plains, bisected by the Rover of the Kings.  These areas include the Green Plains (west), the Plains of Steeds (center) and the Purple Plains (east).  They are a mixture of tall and short grassed areas, with scattered shrubs and an occasional lone tree.  The northern and eastern edges of your territory include mixed deciduous forests and well as hills, scrub and heath.  The southern and western edges of the territory are mostly mountains.

The clan, for the most part, accepts the quirky nature of your scholarly ways, although; most obviously have no idea of what you do.  That is not so say that some of the younger more bellicose members of the clan do not go out of their way to make your life hell.   Even so, the elders respect what you do for the people and shield you from anything beyond annoying harassment.  Your scholarly efforts have been focused upon the effects of herbs, which has benefited the clan with your knowledge of their healing abilities.  You have also found some that provide night vision and a few poisons that aid the fighters when raiding or hunting preditors.

The clan moves across the plains in a rather random pattern.  Occasionally, you encounter another clan, but generally you give each other a wide berth.  The one exception is the spring moot at the confluence of the Kings River and the River of Stallions.  This is where the clans gather to trade horse, goods, information and court mates.  It was after the last such gathering that the clan follows the River of Stallions north and then the Horse Head Peaks to the west.

Much to your surprise, the Head of the Horse (the chief) leads the people to north through the mountains to a path/road and on to the west.  It is very unusual for the clan to leave the verdant lands of the Green Plains.  So it was even a greater surprise when you came upon the City of Illusions and the Head ordered that you enter the City.  This place was as if a treasure chest had been opened before you.  The potential for new knowledge and the vast markets offered incredible access to herbs from the world over.   Many of these merchants had information even more valuable than the herbs they offered.

As you explore the City you find that there are those who only seek to maximize their profit and of these few wish to trade herbs, most wanting coins; the few willing to trade, are offering trades that do not seem fair.  Eventually one suggests that you go talk to Joyln, she might want to talk more than to trade.  After much asking, you finally find Joyln and she is more of a healer than a trader.  From her you learn about any number of new herbs, their habitats and their medicinal uses.  You share with her your knowledge of herbs, limited as it seems.  She even produces a collection of drawings of various herbs that were made upon some type of bark or leaf and bound into leather covers, she called it a book.   She shows you several herbs that you have in the “book” and it is uncanny how well the true plant has been rendered in the drawing.  Then she shows you some herbs that she says are more local, including the mountains to the south of the city and what she calls a desert to the west.

Joyln is willing to trade herbs with you.  She offers the following:

•   An antidote for respiratory poisons lvl 3
•   An herb that cures frostbite and heals 2-20 of cold damage
•   A leaf that heals 1-6
•   A berry that instantly heals 1-10
•   A moss that heals 50
•   A roots that can be brewed to heal respiratory diseases 5 times faster
•   A lichen that heals nerve damage
•   A root that can be used to restore sight—as long as the eye is not destroyed
•   A flower that can cause instant death
•   A root that can induce a coma for 1-10 days
•   A leaf that increases your strength allowing +10 to OB and 2 X concussion hits
•   A flower that grants -30 to OB and maneuvers & grants +50 to spells and missile attacks for 1 hr
•   A euphoric that grants -50 to all actions for 1 hour, but grants 1 days nutrition
•   An herb that grants 2 times faster fracture healing
•   A leaf that heals 1d5+3
•   A nut that can grant 1 days nutrition

You may trade any of these for your herbs.  Please let me know what trades you wish to make, if any.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2019, 03:11:49 PM »

Wow, terrific content! It will take me a day or two to ponder.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
No problem more to follow once you do

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
I have several other installments ready when you are ready

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2019, 11:57:37 PM »
I have several other installments ready when you are ready
Wow, ok. Just got around to the attachment and am starting comparing herb lists.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2019, 12:20:20 AM »
"Joyln," Zariya replies with a smile and a tug of his beard, "You have numerous herbs of interest. I think you will find that I have some of interest as well ... " he takes a goodly look at her stock and starts making notes with a pencil in a small black sketchbook he carries.

"How about this to begin:I offer you four of my Grapeleaf for 3 of your nuts that also grant nutrition.

I offer you two of my Markyr for one of the root that can heal eyesight.

I offer you four Arnuminas and three Terbas for two doses of your healing moss.

Or I can offer you seven Rewk for four doses of the moss.

And I offer eight doses of Yarran for 2 doses of the herb that cures frostbite and 1 each of the death flower and the coma root."

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 02:50:21 AM »
Joyln smiles in return and says she accepts all of your deals, with the Arnuminas and Terbas for the moss.

You can add these to your herb collection:

Bildakur           666   root    brew         restores sight
Ukur                645   nut     ingest       1 days nutrition
Reglen             632   moss   brew         heals 50
Jojojopo           616   leaf     apply        cures frostbite and heals 2-20 cold damage
Acaana            916   flower  paste       black paste destroys nervous system and kills instantly
Klytun             904   root     paste       gold paste causes coma for 1-10 days

She tells you that the Klytun works well to slow the metabolism until better healing options can be found.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2019, 02:55:09 AM »
                                                      Zariya Savindy’s Background
                                                                    Part 2

When you left the city you continued westward and a bit south following the road/path.  The day after you left the City of Illusions, the landscape changed dramatically.  By nightfall the grass had entirely disappeared, being replaced by “desert “ sands.  Trees were replaced by thorny ridged trunk plants, with an incredible ability to store water within their tissues—something Joyln shared with you.  This environment and landscape was completely foreign to the clan; while none would dare say so within hearing of the Head of the Horse, many murmured that he had lost all sense.  The next day the land becomes harsher and the murmuring becomes louder.  That night at the campfire, one of your tormentors, a young tough questions the path of the Head.  Minutes later that same tough, missing a few teeth is happy to be alive.  The murmuring quiets down a bit, but does not dissipate.  As water supplies begin to dwindle, you begin to question the Head’s reasoning yourself.

The following morning the clan comes to a river and the water skins are filled.  Dusty bodies are bathed.  Horses are watered and bathed.  The clan revels in a resource never thought so precious.  The Head seems to relish in the clan’s new found gratitude.  You take the opportunity to discuss his plans with him.  He smiles at your appreciation of his lesson and tells you that you (plural) are headed for yet another city—the City of Glass.  This City was even more amazing than the City of Illusions.  While there you learned that much of the wonder was only glamor spells designed to confound the mind.  But here to locals worked with what they had—sand, the basic ingredient of glass.  Spires and twists of incredible intricacy, colors that run the rainbow and some that might not yet be discovered.  Again the potential to learn was overwhelming, as was the assortment of the waterless grown herbs and insects that could heal.  As astounding as the local herbs were, your herbs from the verdant plains were even more rare and precious.  Here you could trade for the following: 

·        A lvl  4 antidote to muscle poison
·        A leaf the heals 10 Sq Ft of burns
·        A fruit that immediately stops any bleeding
·        A cactus that heals 30 hits
·        An herb that is a relaxant that allows the imbiber to take 2 X the normal hits before losing consciousness, but still dies as a result of the normal # of hits, he operates at -30 % for 1-2 hrs
·        A berry that slows blood flow, -50 to actions and needs 2X sleep

You may trade any herbs you have for any of these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk