Author Topic: Tiv Kae Quinn Journal  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
Re: Tiv Kae Quinn Journal
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
Hm. If it works with your plans, I think he may have just returned to the City, and is currently homeless, staying on the streets until he can fond a new master to take him under his wing. Or failing that, a new employer.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 02:24:27 AM »
Staying on the streets is generally not wise, even the beggars find some place "safer".  I was thinking something more along the lines of a hotel/inn.  Also your former school/monastery is located within the City walls, I will provide a bit of background on that shortly.  You are aware of a cheap and safe place called the White Wake Inn.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
The White Wake Inn sounds fine.

Alternatively, I was thinking he might have moved back in with his elderly mother...  :lol:

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:15:05 AM »
The White Wake Inn is very reasonable by the City State' standards at only 4 copper/night.  Food is not so cheap and less expensive food could be found with some searching.  For now I assume that you are living off your starting cash.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
That sounds good to me.

Is there anything remaining, that I need to do to finish character generation?  :mellow:

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
Right now we are waiting on a couple of other players to get started.  I will push them and hopefully we can start next week.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 04:49:49 AM »
While we wait for a few others please provide 3 D100 rolls to assess your understanding of the martial arts schools within the City State and Help find a Drunken Master school/teacher. 

Roll 1--1d100
Roll 2--!d100+RE bonus
Roll 3--!d100+ MA Sks bonus

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
OK. Here goes...  (RE +20, MA STKs +40)

Rolled 1d100 : 78, total 78
Rolled 1d100+20 : 58 + 20, total 78
Rolled 1d100+40 : 50 + 40, total 90

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 12:57:25 AM »
So there is indeed a Drunken Master Style Sifu within the City and he is willing to take on a student who is worthy.  He is an individual teacher, not a school or monastery.  He is supported by a wealthy patron (Senator Middleton).  To prove your worth you must find the Senator's missing daughter, Scarlet.   Your only clue is that she was last seen in the White Wake Inn and that her friends said something about rat swarms attacking her red dress.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:29:44 PM by Just X »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 12:57:58 AM »
Also have you selected your starting equipment?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »
Your dispute with the monks of the School of Ancient Knowledge centered upon issues related to your allegiance to the Invincible Overlord, and possibly more importantly subtle hints as to their lack of such allegiance.  This came to a head one day in martial arts practice when a fellow student made what you considered a traitorous comment and when you had him down and did not stop, the monks intervened and did not just stop it, but seemed to beat you in retribution.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
That all sounds great.

I haven’t selected his starting equipment yet... but I will look into it now.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
As a local there are a few things that every resident of the City State knows about:

1.     The Overlord has a secret police force known as the Black Lotus, these anonymous spies are ubiquitous, with some estimates placing them at 1 in 3 citizens are so employed. Regardless, of the reality, everyone within the CSIO knows that everything they do is watched and anything that might portend a riot or rebellion will end in immediate termination.

2.     The Overlord allows any religious practice, and pretty much anything else, as long as the faithful’s support the Overlord is accepted, or at least expected.

3.     All know that the Overlord lives in the Silverlight Palace, which is protected by the  Cryptic Citadel, as well as the Overlord’s Knights and, maybe more importantly, the Palace guards—the 6 Score Swordsmen.

4.     It is illegal for a merchant, inn keep, etc. to make change (read give change when paying a tab) without a money changers license within the City.  Those demanding change will be threatened (and possibly acted on) legal action for violating the law.

5.     An entry tax is charged at the gates to get into the City.  The rate varies depending upon the gate being entered and what the Guards believe your wealth is.  Any entering the City at the southwest corner where the broken bridge is can bypass the End Gate and walk right up Water-Rat Road.  Of course you would have to scale the ruined bridge to get up to the elevation of the City from the estuary below the bridge.

6.     Slavery is legal and almost every business had a few slaves to tend to mounts, do routine cleaning, fetch water, etc.  Others may use many slaves as cooks, bell hops, laborers, etc.  There is a thriving slave market in the plaza in the center of the City.  While no one wants to be a slave, many slaves live better than the lesser commoners, some may liver better than some nobles.

7.     Because the City is the home to many retired military and adventurers, much of the general population is far more capable of handling problems on their own than in other cities.  In addition, many adventurers of all skill levels visit the City.  Therefore, interfering in someone else’s business can prove risky, if not deadly.  The general population should not be mistaken for a “village oaf”, even if that is how they appear

8.     The City’s laws require a crime to be witnessed, if there is no one who will testify as a witness there was no crime.  As a result, most inhabitants of the City “see nothing”, or simply look the other way at any sign of trouble.  However, once arrested you are presumed guilty, with most court proceedings ending in the determination of punishment.  Those with a good Litigation Trickster or very luck may achieve the dismissal of a case.

9.     Punishment in the courts is set by each court and the same infraction tried in Common Court, Noble Court and Clergy Court may have very different punishments.  With the exception of treason, most capital crimes are not punished with execution per say, but instead with being sent to the mines, as a rower on one of the Overlord’s Battle Barges, or an equally short lived but more productive sentence.

10.  The Orcs of the Purple Claw are an ever present threat to the City.   Massive hordes can spring from the huge Dearthwood Forest to the east of the City.  Once across the river, they are at the City walls.  The Overlord had tried to establish a redoubt as a foothold in the Dearthwood, to deter or at least slow such attacks.  The fort is now known as the Redoubt of the Dead.  The guard is on constant watch for evidence of Orcs massing across the river.  Mention of the Purple Claw is enough to make most citizens nervous, and many scurrying for home.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 04:25:44 AM »
Let me know when you are ready to start play

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
I am ready...  :yes:

I haven’t finalized his starting equipmet yet but I should be able to get that in the next day or so.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
As you sit in the common room of the White Wake Inn you nurse you beer and observe the other patrons and staff.  There are 3 ogres a pair and a solitary one, you give all three a wide berth, not from fear but due to the horrid body odor they have.  There is a table with 8 pirates drinking and singing raunchy songs.   The rest of the patrons are students in couples or triplets, discussing classes and the announcement of a festival next week.  You recognize a few, but none invite you over. Vestoste Gerit is the bouncer and looks like a capable fighter with a finely worked long sword on his him.  Assisting him, as if he needs help, is Harlick, an extremely ugly troll.  Molmat “the Base” is the inn keeper and bar tender.  Today he looks more dour that than usual. 

The door opens and a peculiar looking fellow enters. He is about 4 foot tall and weighs maybe 100 pounds.  While he looks like a hobbit he somehow seems more like a dwarf.  He is wearing weathered traveling clothes of the lower class.  He makes his way to the bar, and with surprising agility pops up onto the bar stool.  He orders a common beer in a large glass.  He proceeds to eye-up the place and then attempts to begin a conversation with Molmat.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Please provide a brief character description

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2019, 12:03:45 AM »
As you watch the Hobbit attempt to loosen Molmat's lips you begin to suspect this is about the abduction about a fortnight ago.  While you didn't see it,you heard that at least one and maybe as many as three rat swarms were in the bar and at least one was attacking the girl in the red dress.  When everyone began to panic about the rats, the girl disappeared.  But no one saw her taken out the front door.  You know that Molmat has offered a 50 gold reward for the return of the girl.  You also know that no one has collected the bounty, and that Molmat's mood has gotten worse the more time has drug on since the abduction.  He prides himself on keeping the clientele safe and he has a hard time dealing with the loss of this girl.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 02:56:58 PM »
Here is a link to the map I e-mailed you

https://files.barryisett.com/public/file/qo9ne13I7kWQ7ka2Xiz0YQ/TKQ%20map.pdf[

This will work until April 12th, so please download before then.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 11:11:47 PM »
Please provide a brief character description

Tiv Kae Quinn is unremarkable. He is a lean man of medium height. He has close-cropped hair and his skin is tanned from long hiurs training in the sunlight of the yard. He wears a simple brown robe, tied around the waist with a simple rope.

The only thing noteworthy about his is him movement... he occasionally staggers as he walks, as if drunk. In fact, his movements are deliberate, and are part of the Drunken Master discipline... and are intended to delude others about his abilities.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk