Author Topic: Character Generation  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Dax

• Baron
Re: Character Generation
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »
Miscreant?

I'm a noble thief:
I take from the rich and give to the poor.

i.e.
I take from all other and give it to me,
after I spend it for my amusement I'm poor again.

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »
@ Just X
The name for my character is still vague.

I noticed that nobody mind to use an animal as a name in the "english speaking world".
So I would like to name my character "Bug" (full first name "Boglorian")

It was meant as an insult but it stuck,
and now it is his turn to make the world city to be afraid of the person behind the name.

But I'm still undecided to go with a thief or a "No Profession", with a criminal or a lesser noble, but either could use this name in the demimonde.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »
So far we have 2 sleuths, a thief/rouge/beggar, a warrior monk, and a combat medic (subject to change).

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
Wait:
Does "Boglorian" sounds like burglar for the native speaker?
I was just searching for a name beginning with a sound like "bug".

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
Yes it sounds a bit like burglar.  For simplicity sake, I am using English as the common language.

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:53 AM »
I read the Want to Play but not being familiar with the Judges series nor Necromancer Games series, it didn't help.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 02:24:49 AM »
It is one of the largest cities in the world.  It has become a nexus for adventurers looking to spend loot on anything from new armor, weapons, distractions, food, etc.  this has also drawn some of the worlds finest and most innovative craftsmen.  Any religion may be practices, drawing priests and churches of every conceivable type.  The Overlord permits all races and types within the city.  Business flourishes and as long a business and the Overlord peace is not disrupted pretty much anything goes.  That being said, lawlessness is not good for business, but there are more freedoms within the Overlord's City that most others. 

The city s located along a major north south trade road and at the head of a long estuary.  Thus, there are may ways to reach the city and trade flourishes. 

There is the City State of the World Emperor located to the south and occasionally there is conflict between the two.  There are several other City States that each claim independence and have unique cultural identities.  There are also other cultures/communities that exist.  Those closest to the City State of the Overlord are the Amazons and the Skandiks (viking like), both of which have been substantially subjected.  There are many smaller towns and villages that generally enjoy the protection of the nearby City States, while there are exceptions these towns generally enjoy some autonomy.  There are also many areas of wilderness and areas controlled by  demi-humans.

The city has quarters, but these are not divided by walls and the boundary's become gray in many areas.  For example the waterfront blends into the thieves quarter.  Likewise the temple quarter and the clerks (government) quarters also mingle at the edges.

Hope that helps some.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 02:29:02 AM »
I8flesh2 you also need to provide a social status roll.  This is a home grown system that I use to establish the number of background options and starting cash.  I can work with you to make the roll work with the character concept.

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »
Character name will be Abdullah.

Social status Roll:

Rolled 1d100 : 11, total 11

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 08:30:24 PM »
And I chose the name "Amladis Tevor" for my character, but you will know him as "Bug".

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
Once you create a Journal we can delve into background, profession, etc

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
Amladis

roams the streets.
His grandfather told him to do so.
He should go there and make friends.
He is aware that "friends" for his grandpa means persons he can use for a time to come, when they stand up.

Amladis is confused: They are all awake and bustle around - an "uprising" wouldn't change a thing.

Suddenly he bumps into a man and falls down.
"Hey ... what."
It isn't a grown-up just a boy of his age,
but towering above him.Another boy scoffs at him: "Only a little thing in the dirt - a cockroach."
Other boys echo the insult "Coackroach, cockroach"
And also the towering boy, their head repeats it or better he tries: "Corhrock. Cochroad ...."
The other boys fall silent."Cookra ... Bug."
"You are a bug. Bug, bug, bug." he points a finger at Amladis.
And the other boys echo the new insult as if nobody ever said "cockroach".

"And do you know, why I know that you are a bug?"
Due to the eloquent speach Amladis is sure: "Because you know it?"
"Yes", the boy recognizes that this might be a joke on his behalf: "No, because I could squash you like a bug."

Amladis looks up at him - this might be true.

"But you can do me a favor: Get some grapes for me." He nods with his head towards a sales booth.

"Grapes are expensive and I don't have ... money." Amladis has almost said "that much money with me".

"I didn't say something about 'buy grapes for me', I said 'get some grapes for me'!"

Amladis walks over to the booth, he could just run away,  he had never stolen something.

The salesman watches him suspiciously, but Amladis knows grapes of better quality:
"No 'dark shadow' for sale?", he asks while he examines the goods.
The salesman expects a bargain and turns for the better grapes.
At this moment Amladis hides a bunch of grapes in his clothes.

And the new goods doesn't find grace before his eyes,
so he walks away to bring the ordered grapes to his new "friends".

It was thrilling: The strain, the theft and then the relief.
He wants more ...

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
Question:

Region Lore (City otInvOverlord) to know "rat runs" and short cuts?

Or is there more than one?
Region Lore (City otIO Harbour)
Region Lore (City otIO Uptown)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
DPs are precious enough in this game one Lore for the City should be enough.  If you want to focus on Region Lore, it will provide specifics of streets, a bonus to locating businesses, and some information about the immediate environs around the city and some sense of places that trade with the City.  I would also allow a City State Invincible Overlord (CSIO) General Lore skill that would potentially provide information of any number of City details, history, workings etc.  SO a good roll here might help you understand the working of the court system; or the best route to the Palace,; or which gate has te lowest entrance tax; who is the current Chief Sheriff; etc.

Once I have backgrounds completed for everyone, I will dole out more information on the City, depending on who is from where.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:08:56 PM by Just X »

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
But one question:

Is there water?
Without water there might be no reason to develop Swimming.
(OK, it is never wrong to have at least one rank, but ...
DPs are precious.)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
The city is build on an estuary (long brackish bay, with fresh water from a river the goes over a waterfall.  Also there are other places that water could be encountered, one of my other players learned that the sewers could pose a potential drowning danger.

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
 Are there any skills or abilities that you know you're not going to use?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:34:16 PM by I8flesh2 »

Offline I8flesh2

• Baronet
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »
Do you use ST/AG or S/S/A for melee weapons?

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Primary Skills can all be used, secondary skills are really dependent on how you use them.  Generally, the outdoor skills will probably see less use than most as would the hostile survival skills for many settings.  Within the City you can ride, but it is also a skill that you could forego.  As to melee and missile the spreadsheet I posted uses  St and Ag respectively. 

Offline Dax

• Baron
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
Another question (how many will follow? At least I don't use the term "one last question"):

What is the punishment for theft?
Do "they" chop a hand off?

___

I put the question here, cuz it might be of general interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk