Author Topic: NotJ - Chapter 1 - The Funeral  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
Re: NotJ - Chapter 1 - The Funeral
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 04:15:01 AM »
Dr. Kárpáti's brows furrow in concentration hinting at a tinge of regret as he recalls the details. He talks in time with the cadence of his steps, the ornate cane being thrust out and then heavily leant on as he supports his weight. He speaks between limping steps.

"Normally I vould be retizent to dizcloze zuch sings, Profezzor Braithvaite, but zince Mr Summers has passed on I am no longer boundt by ze ethics of ze profession. Mr Summers vas mine patient for zum time."

At this last statement,  Dr Kárpáti turns a little grim.

"Mr Summers' appointmentz became less frequendt in ze time before ze tragedy. It pains me greatly as I feel ve very on ze verge of a breakthrough."

The Doctor strokes his beard, reinforcing it's waxed points with his free hand and shakes his head.

"I muzt zay, Mr Summers' untimely passingk came as quite a shock. Zat a man of hiz calibre, who hadt zerved hiz country vis much dizdinction vould be driven to endt hiz own life zo zuddenly without any signs is most unuzual and , I deem, completely incongrouz viz his character."

The Doctor lifts his head and nods to Carruthers.

"Zat vill be exzellendt, Carruthers. Zank you, mine gudt man. I'm zure Mizter Norton vill not mindt if he rides vit you to share our transport."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:22:25 AM by Usdrothek »
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »
Horatio was puzzled. "I presume you were treating Summers for an issue of the mind, rather than for physical injury. If so, is suicide such a surprise if Summers was not completely sound of mind?" he asked the Doctor.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:16:30 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
Dr. Kárpáti shakes his head
"On ze contrary, Professor, in all our zezzions Mr Summers' exhibidted no signs of suicidal thoughts or behaviour vatsoever. Zat is vhy Summers' death by hiz own handz came as zuch a schock. I vould dearly like to know vat recent developments occurred in Mr Summers' life zat drove him to zuch despair"

Offline Gymnosophist

• Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 12:14:16 PM »
Norton shrugs, apparently not realising the rhetorical intent of the good doctor’s last remark. ”I really couldn’t say Sir. The Lieutenant was always very chipper as I remember ’im, but the fact is I ’adn’t seen ’im at the Club in ages. Speaking of which, Sir, I ’ad best be ’eading back there now. The Major will ’ave me guts for garters if I’m late for work again! I thank you gentlemen for your ’ospitality though and do wish we could ’ave met under more agreeable circumstances. Begging your pardon Sirs”, adds the old soldier after a moment’s hesitation. ”I didn’t mean to sound all familiar.”

By this time the mourners had all made their way to the edge of the cemetery at a pace accommodating Dr. Kárpáti, and indeed as they look up the lane, they can see a cab trundling it’s way down to their position, with Curruthers sitting up top with the driver, engaged in animated conversation.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 02:04:55 AM »
The professor took the Doctor's reply as confirmation his presumption was correct, that Summers was being treated for some sort of mental condition. "I too was surprised to hear of the Lieutenant's suicide for I knew his as a man of strong character, though, as I mentioned, I had little contact with him these last few years. What can you tell us of the condition for which you were treating Summers?" he asked Dr. Kárpáti.

When Norton made to depart Horatio presented him with his calling card "When you have time I, and it seems the Doctor also, would like to further discuss Summers' with you. We look forward to meeting again very soon." he said with a friendly smile.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:21:17 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Curruthers

• Goblin
  • Baronet
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 12:37:30 AM »
Curruthers gets the driver to pull up next to the party. Dismounts and opens the cab door.

to Dr K "May I assist you sir?"

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »
 Dr. Kárpáti nods to his ever attentive valet.
"Yes, Zank you, Carruthers."
The Doctor offers a hand to Carruthers to steady himself while he uses his good leg to boost himself up into the cab. The process is somewhat slow and as he maneuvers himself into the interior and gets seated.

Offline Gymnosophist

• Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 06:49:16 AM »
Norton accepts Professor Braithwaite's card with both hands and bows with almost comic solemnity, clearly overcome that the Professor should consider one such as he worthy of acquaintance. "It would be an honour Sir", says the old soldier, "though to be perfectly honest Sir, I don't know if I can tell ya much more about the Lieutenant than I already 'ave. We enlisted men never did mix all that much with the officers ya know. Anyways, if you should ever need me for anything Sir, anything at all, I'm at the Club most nights -- that'd be the Army and Navy Club Sir, on Pall Mall. Sir Reginald knows it, I bet". Then he adds as an afterthought, lest the Professor form the conclusion that he presumes to be a member there, "I may've mentioned that I worked there Sir, Major Gower and Colonel Hollingsworth were good enough to recommend me when I returned from service, God bless 'em."

By this time, the others had all climbed into the growler, with Curruthers up top with the driver. Typical of most such carriages, there is comfortable space for only four passengers inside, and only two above. The driver cracks his whip as directions are given, and the five newly united companions are off to Clarence's club, at which establishment -- after a fine luncheon followed by brandy and cigars -- the conversation inevitably returns to the events of the morning, and the most singular information conveyed to them by the rat-like but effusive Toby Norton.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
The professor was mindful that Dr. Kárpáti had not answered his last question regarding his treatment of Summers and wondered if it was simply due to the interruption caused by the arrival of the growler at the cemetery and subsequent ride or whether the Doctor was avoiding the subject. He decided to persist with his enquiry. "Doctor, what can you tell us of the condition for which you were treating Summers?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk