Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 20073 times)

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1020 on: June 24, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »
Klumenos

As Klumenos listens to Nur-ili he begins to wonder about the astrologer's true motivation.  He seems to be willing to promise the Gutian anything to enlist him in his cause to aid  Ibal-pi-El and Ešnunna in the conquest of the two rivers.  I have no doubt that the king of Ešnunna would pay handsomely for such a weapon. But the way Nur-ili promises the Gutian anything and everything for his assistance worries me.  Even more so, Nur-ili's apparent hatred and despise for the other rules of this area. I could understand being wronged by one, maybe even two kings, but all those other than Ibal-pi-El?  Could it be a spell or geas that he has been placed under?  Is he simply a zealot who will do anything to appease his king?

As of now I see that Ešnunna and Hammu-rapi are both down one main force--but do either even know their armies are missing yet?; Elam has an army headed this way; the cult of Negral has retrieved the tub and is mobilizing to retrieve the key to their long lost relic, which Nur-ili has thoughtfully made them aware exists; we, correction I, have killed one of the cults 10 high priests, only 9 more to go!; we have a fake key that is a passable imitation, but radiates no magic; the tub has at least a 2 -3 day head start back to Ka-Negral, and is likely there already; given that 3 kingdoms already know of the weapon/relic it is likely that there are several more who may be headed our way, Mari being the closest.

Grabbing the tub would complete the package and make the bearers a formidable force regardless of how few their numbers. They could command their price from the kings possibly even at auction.  However, I suspect the dog faced cultists will be more careful with their relic and retrieving it will be no small feat.  But what other options are there?  Return to Hammu-rapi with only the key, letting him figure out how to retrieve the tub on his own?  Wait here for the army of Elam to arrive and hopefully before the cult wipes us out?  Flee with the prize and see if the dust settles, but to where and do you really think that the kingdoms will forget about such a powerful weapon?  Return the key to the cultist--they haven't used the weapon for centuries, but then again I doubt they knew where to find it?  Maybe it would be wise to have Murdas search the island and channel banks for more of the protective herb?  Maybe seeking the mercenaries he has a contact with would be the best course, they are allied with Hammu-rapi, as long as he is paying the most and they would provide some protection from the dog-men and they are likely the closes ally we can find?

All these thoughts swim through the Minoans mind as he sits almost trance like awaiting the herbalist's ministrations to the blind assassin.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1021 on: June 24, 2020, 11:56:09 PM »
Klumenos

Ruminating a bit bit more on his thoughts, I should follow up with Murdas about his friend the mercenary and how he knows him and how trustworthy he is.  But we will need the astrologer to find the tub, of that I am sure.  And from the way he is talking any move that does not directly support getting the namzāq namzītim to Ešnunna will not meet with his liking and may make gaining his assistance in locating the tub difficult.  I still wonder if he is enchanted in some way.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1022 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »
Klumenos

Klumenos moves over to the cart to check on Indattu.  He asks the Doctor (Murdus) how the patient is doing.  While out of earshot of the astrologer, he confides is concerns of Nur-ili being under the influence of magic in the form of a charm, quest or geas.  He ask, "Do you know of some way to determine if he is so enchanted?"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #1023 on: June 29, 2020, 06:21:07 AM »
Murdus

He looks up from whatever he was doing at the time. "Hmm. He still sleeps..." He gently pats the assassin's foot.

"As to your concerns, yes, quite probably... but I do not trust the man regardless... call that a hunch... but..."

And with this he appears to go silent, possibly thinking, possibly just distracted.... "No, beyond hunches, I can give no real help or advice in this matter.."

Seems to snap to and begins to return to whatever he was doing before once again pausing.. turns to Klumenos and whispers.

"What do you think we should do then?

============

OOC: What sort of skill might be required to determine this non-magically... ?  I'm fairly sure that Murdus has no spells.. but are there Herbs known to break such effects that perhaps could be introduced into food/drink?

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #1024 on: June 29, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »
Lahwi-addu

The Amorite hears the Gutian. "Yea, I don't trust the astrologer too, but he's all we got. Unless we solve to sell this key to the king at Babylon. Let's face it, we're outclassed and outgunned. One priest with one giant would suffice to kill us all. There are nine. We were unable to use the horn which I suspect summons a giant. Thus, it might be better to head back to Babylon."
The Amorite gives Murdus what help he can in searching for the herb.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1025 on: June 29, 2020, 08:09:39 PM »
Klumenos

Klumenos "I fear the value of half the artifact is less than half the whole.  But more troublesome is the the tub will continue to belch out the breath of the god, doing what we have already seem to any village, or army downwind.  And between giants blowing and clerics casting I fear that downwind cold be any direction of their choosing.  We need the astrologer to locate/track the tub, as I doubt any of us can do so.  But I do have reservations about carrying the key to the tub, should we be captured the weapon will once again be complete.  Likewise, I have reservations about hiding the key anywhere as I suspect the dog-men will continue to search this area until it is found.  But in reality if we move to retrieve the tub, we will need the key to make it safe for us to transport--so I suppose the issue is moot. 

"The bigger issue is where do we head once the relics are reunited.  We know of at least three kingdom's who seek it already, and I dare venture that are a like number of which we are not aware. Right now I see the forerunners as Hammu-rapi or Ibal-pi-El, but that is based more on proximity than anything.  In either event, I think we need to keep the astrologer believing we support Ešnunna and Ibal-pi-El to maintain is assistance."

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #1026 on: June 30, 2020, 04:06:24 AM »
OOC:  I think Power Perception (from SoHK) would be the only non-magical way a character could sense a magical geas, etc. on a character.  Magically, none of you have ranks in any of the lists that give you detection spells (this might be my fault?); however Lahwi does know Paladin Base — Exorcisms — 8.Neutralize Curse I.

In considering the astrologer’s motives, it might be worthwhile to consider the two tablets that got everyone into this mess.

Klumenos read the first one after the astrologer threw it away:

Siwe-Palar-Huppak says thus to Hammu-rapi: I have read the report of your messenger.  Do not trust the men who are now digging in Kār-Nergal.  Quickly, send your army to seize the Tub.  Take the man who led you to it and hold him for questioning.  He is a traitor.  I have sent this tablet with my important men, Luhišan and Pilir-Šazi.  Give them your response and they will send it to me.  My army is currently in Awan, and will set out for Kār-Nergal with Kudu-zuluš, the sukkal (viceroy) of Susa on the 6th day of Ayyarum.

The astrologer kept the second one for himself, and only described it as containing “a warning not to open the Tub.”

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #1027 on: June 30, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
***OOC:  I only questioned Nur-ili's status because he seemed to be offering Yarlaganda anything and everything under the sun for his aid, and the way he referred to all other kings in the region as incompetents made me wonder if there was more too it.  ***

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #1028 on: July 01, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »
Lahwi-addu

While we are resting the paladin, without armour, casts Exorcisms — 8.Neutralize Curse I on the astrologer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:59:40 AM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #1029 on: July 03, 2020, 04:45:23 PM »
***OOC:  I only questioned Nur-ili's status because he seemed to be offering Yarlaganda anything and everything under the sun for his aid...  ***

OOC:

Yarlaganda likes the way Nur-ili thinks! And he's not one to over-think things...  :lol:

Yarlaganda and Nur-ili
The astrologer perks up at the question.  "Oh yes.  My lord Ibal-pi-El will bestow all manner of gifts upon someone who renders him this service.  He might even promote you to the status of royal favorite!  Ešnunna has sent several military expeditions into the land of the Guti.  Maybe you would like an army, to carve out a place for yourself?  All things are possible my friends, should you give him the power to crush the lesser rulers of this land -- Hammu-rapi (OOC: Babylon), Rim-SÎn (OOC: Southern Mesopotamia), and Šamši-Adad's weakling sons (OOC: Upper Mesopotamia).  Even the sukkalmahhum in Elam won't be able to oppose him."

Yarlaganda

laughs good-naturedly and claps the astrologer on the back. "I pity the poor soldiers that march into Guti lands! My homeland swallows "expeditions" like the sand drinks blood, and my people do not lightly suffer trespassers."

He rubs his jaw thoughtfully. "But there is something to be said for 'carving' out a place for my-- er-- our selves," he says, guiltily looking around at his companions.

"But tell me this... if we gain this tub, and hold on to this key, and keep them for ourselves... what need have we for your lord's armies?"

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:57:24 PM by Barrow »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk