Author Topic: Character Generation & Resources  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
Character Generation & Resources
« on: May 28, 2018, 03:44:17 AM »
We've already had a lot of discussion about this in the "Recruiting..." thread, but basically we'll follow RMFRP character generation rules (with some additions from RMSS).

Basic Resources
For background setting information, I've created a Character Creation Resource, that gives some basic setting information and available races/backgrounds.  All of the "normal" 19 or so RMSS/RMFRP professions are available.

For this campaign, all characters will begin at 5th level.

For players who don't want to create their own characters, I'm working on some pregens.

Equipment
Since the players are starting off at 5th level, I'm open to suggestions.  As stated in the Character Creation Resource, for non-magical equipment we'll use the "Bronze Age" lists from ...And a 10-Foot Pole (ICE #5703).  Unless someone has a better suggestion, we'll say that through your character's prior activities, you've accumulated the equivalent of 150 SP of wealth to spend on items, etc.  With respect to magical items, every character can choose up to 4 magic items whose total levels are equal to or less than 10.  The Treasure Companion (ICE #5811) beginning on page 94 can help you in determining an item's level.

If a player doesn't have access to these books, PM me.

Map of Mesopotamia 1767 BCE
A map of the area is here.

Names
I have lists of Akkadian, Amorite, Hurrian, and Sumerian names if anyone is interested.  For Hittite, Egyptian, and Elamite names, Wikipedia's lists of kings is probably the most convenient place to find inspiration.  For Maganite, Meluhhan, and Telmunite names, you'll have to make them up.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:53:52 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
Re: Character Generation & Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 06:57:16 AM »
Pregenerated Characters

Indattu-Inšušinak, Elamite Thief -- I used the Assassin and Burglar TPs for him.  A heavy focus on Ambush and Stalking skills.
Lahwi-Maliku, Amorite Paladin -- I chose "Blessed by the War God" Talent, among others.  The god in question would probably be a war-aspect of Ištar, or Zababa.  Could be an interesting RP element.
Sin-hazir, Akkadian Magician -- He has the Dark Pact flaw, and the Demonologist TP from RMSS Essence Companion.  This could also be an interesting RP element.
Yarlaganda, Gutian Ranger -- A strong Arms character, but not with Missle weapons; he's missing an eye.

I haven't outfitted any of these characters, although I did choose an AT for them.  The assumption is that Yarlaganda and Indattu-Inšušinak will wear Rigid Leather, and Lahwi-Maliku a bronze breastplate.

Finally, if you choose to use these, you're welcome to change the name/race/gender/height/weight as they shouldn't have an effect on the numbers.  I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Edit:  I noticed something after I posted these, that for some reason they show a "-" for all of the skill category ranks.  But the total category bonuses and the math for individual skills remain correct.  I'll redo these over the next day or two and fix it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:02:41 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »
Fantastic resources, Enheduanna!  :wizi:

Could I take the Amorite Paladin?
Cheers,
DW

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:12:12 AM »
Could I take the Amorite Paladin?
Absolutely!

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
The thief and the ranger both look pretty good...

I think I'd like to go with the ranger.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
I've added the extra level to mine... still got to generate it's background/kit... am working it into a decent format. I'll shift some of his languages around so we can all communicate! ;)

Looking at the name list now... Hmmm. What shall I choose?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:25:44 AM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
I think I'd like to go with the ranger.
He’s yours!

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »
Great, thanks.  :yes:

How about Horses for his animal empathy? I think he probably grew up around horses in his tribe.

Also... could I change his throwing skill to 'Spear' instead of 'Throwing Stick?' Since he'll be using a spear as a polearm anyway, it seems to fit. (If this messes up the numbers then nevermind  :mellow:)

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
Great, thanks.  :yes:

How about Horses for his animal empathy? I think he probably grew up around horses in his tribe.

Also... could I change his throwing skill to 'Spear' instead of 'Throwing Stick?' Since he'll be using a spear as a polearm anyway, it seems to fit. (If this messes up the numbers then nevermind  :mellow:)
No problem with the change from throwing stick to spear.

A horse would be exotic in 18-Century Mesopotamia, but not impossible.  You’d get a lot of strange looks, and offers to buy it, or thieves trying to steal it.  Large donkeys were what most people used for riding and transport.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
I'd had horse for riding... as well as... umm Camel.

Horse/donkey... *sigh*. Not that my character has either.. yet. Might need a donkey (possibly a cart as well...)

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
A horse would be exotic in 18-Century Mesopotamia, but not impossible.  You’d get a lot of strange looks, and offers to buy it, or thieves trying to steal it.  Large donkeys were what most people used for riding and transport.

Hmm. Good point, Hadn't thought of that.  I'll see what else I can come up with.

(Then again, it could be fun... a six-foot barbarian cyclops from beyond the Zagros, riding a massive, terrifying steed, black as night with eyes like coals from Hell...  :lol:)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:26:28 PM by Barrow »

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 04:38:02 AM »
I probably didn’t give enough guidance on magic items.  I’m thinking something like this:

Arms Character:
- +10 Armor
- +15 Weapon
- 4 single use items (e.g. a spell tablet, or potion; spell levels 1st-3rd)
- A Daily II item (with spell 1st-6th level) OR a +5 shield OR another +5 Weapon

Spell-casting character:
- x2 PP Multiplier
- 4 single use items (with spells 1st-3rd level)
- 1 charged item (with a spell 1st-7th level)
- 2 Daily Use IV items (with spells 1st-5th level) OR  1 charged item (with a spell 1st-7th level)

Players let me know if you have any thoughts.

Dalewarrior:  You have the Soldier TP.  At level 5, we’ll say that this gives you a rank of laputtûm or lieutenant, although whether you're active or retired can be up to you.  The other benefits of your TP are generally subsumed into the magic item choice, so you can choose another +10 weapon or add +5 to an armor or shield bonus.

Barrow:  You have the TPs of Wanderer and Mercenary.  Among the benefits Wanderer gives you are weather-resistant clothing and a riding beast (which you don’t have to purchase).  Mercenary gives you a favor from a military figure, and some added money (+5 SP).

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:40:13 AM »
Barrow, your idea of a horse reminds me of the beginning of a Polish film of the 60s with Yul Brynner, I think, that showed a mass of Egyptian soldiers coming to grasp with a horse that had been captured from the Hyksos, IIRC!

Enheduanna, thanks for the character! Is it possible to cast spells with the armour on?

The items I'd choose would be,
Arms Character:
- +10 Armor
- +15 Weapon
- 4 single use items (e.g. a spell tablet, or potion; spell levels 1st-3rd)
- A Daily II item (with spell 1st-6th level).

Cheers!

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 07:08:39 AM »
Enheduanna, thanks for the character! Is it possible to cast spells with the armour on?
Okay, I’m glad you mentioned this, because it forced me to look at your character sheet and see that the math on your Armor Penalty was way off.  I’ve fixed these skills (Swimming, Climbing, and Transcend Armor) by hand.  The updated sheet is here.

In RMFRP Channeling users who wear armor:
1) Cannot cast spells automatically (that is, they have to roll a spell casting static maneuver), BUT:
2) Can cast with a spell casting static maneuver.  Normally, a channeling user wearing a bronze breastplate with greaves would suffer a -30 to his roll.

However, you have the Transcend Armor skill.  You can apply this bonus (+22) to your casting roll, so that means you’d only suffer a -8.  Other potential modifiers include your bonus in that spell list, and these:

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
Thanks, I got it!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
I'm not sure if you'd not noticed, (or you've chosen to ignored it) but not having a rank in the category sections carries a -15 penalty to the category bonus, for those skill groups that aren't "combined". So not having ranks in either category or skill means that a skill is -30, having one but not the other is -15... having both is no penalty.

Edit. Having had a closer look like some of the maths includes a category rank, but doesn't show it in the rank column.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:45:58 AM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »
I'm not sure if you'd not noticed, (or you've chosen to ignored it) but not having a rank in the category sections carries a -15 penalty to the category bonus, for those skill groups that aren't "combined". So not having ranks in either category or skill means that a skill is -30, having one but not the other is -15... having both is no penalty.

Edit. Having had a closer look like some of the maths includes a category rank, but doesn't show it in the rank column.
Yes, that’s another bug I’ve noticed in this software.  For some reason, when it exports to the character sheet, it doesn’t show the category ranks or math.  But you can tell what the total category bonus is by looking at the category bonus column in the individual skill.  I’ll redo it at some point this week.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
Barrow, your idea of a horse reminds me of the beginning of a Polish film of the 60s with Yul Brynner, I think, that showed a mass of Egyptian soldiers coming to grasp with a horse that had been captured from the Hyksos, IIRC!

Haha, haven't seen that one, I'll have to google it.

Enheduanna, I'll choose the following:

+10 Armor
+15 Short Sword
4 Single-Use Items (TBD, I'll get back to you)
+5 Shield

For his riding beast, would a camel be okay?

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
For his riding beast, would a camel be okay?
Absolutely.  Bactrian Camels were probably domesticated in the Zagros Mountains about a 1000 years before Hammu-rapi.  Your Gutian would be familiar with them, as would most Mesopotamians you encounter.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
OK. Bactrian camel it is!

I'll take camels as his animal empathy too. I think, in his wandering background, he has spent a great deal of time around camels and they've learned to understand one another.

Edit: And when they don't understand one another...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tOWoDVQLU
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:27:35 AM by Barrow »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk