Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
Yes, Just X, I now know that the Exodus took place around this time, and a great map you have found Enheduanna!

Offline Quixotic

• Messenger
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
I have been extremely si ck and bedridden.  My character would travel with the party.  I hope to be well enough to post in 48 hours.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2018, 03:40:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that!  I hope you have a quick recovery.

As the Babylonians would say Šamaš u Marduk aššumīya liballiṭūka (May Šamaš and Marduk keep you well for my sake!).

Offline Quixotic

• Messenger
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 03:13:52 AM »
I never really got healthy.  I think I had better drop out of the campaign.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 04:14:45 AM »
I hope you feel better!  You're always welcome back at a later time.  Take care.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that Quixotic. I hope you feel better soon.

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »
Better health soon.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 08:49:25 AM »
I also wish you a good recovery, Quixotic.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »
Enheduanna, how deep is the dry ditch under the bridge?

If we retreated onto the bridge, would our flanks be protected by the ditch, or could they just walk up and stab us in the sides?

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 03:21:11 AM »
Good question (Read: I hadn't considered the tactical situation of the bridge).

The bridge is wide enough that only one person could stand on it and fight.  Of course, the man behind him could strike with a spear or the like.  The whole bridge is 10 feet long.

The ditch itself is 8 feet across and 4 feet deep at its lowest point.  Leaping the ditch would probably be the most obvious way to cross it (besides the bridge).  At 8', this is a Medium Jumping maneuver for a normal human without armor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:43:07 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »
Indattu doesn’t recognize any of the men.  On second thought, you think the “thief” in question might be the astrologer.  (OOC: Sorry for the confusion!)

No worries, I just misunderstood!

(OOC:  Keep in mind, a guardian is not really an offensive creature — you can’t tell it to run up and attack someone.  It will, of course, attack if Yarlaganda is, and stand and protect him).

Got it, thanks. Great picture of the lycanthropes, by the way.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:36 AM »
Speaking of lycanthropes...

Enheduanna, does a "+10" or "+15" weapon count as a magical weapon? That would harm a lycanthrope?

Or should we start running?  :lol:

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 04:24:34 AM »
Yes, your weapons can affect them.  Of course, your characters probably wouldn't know about lycanthropes resistances to "normal" weapons anyway.

Thanks for the comments on the image, by the way.  It's actually surprisingly difficult to find a good image of a were-creature online that 1) looks close enough to a jackal, 2) isn't holding a weapon, or 3) isn't some kind of discomfiting furry cartoon thing.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:39 AM »
Yes, your weapons can affect them.  Of course, your characters probably wouldn't know about lycanthropes resistances to "normal" weapons anyway.

Fair enough! Thanks.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »
Adrenal Defence... my opinion.

I tend to treat the skill as running parallel to an existing activity. If the character is attacking with Martial arts (or a weapon skilled within a MA style) then it's assumed that the character is already moving in such a way as to trigger the Adrenal defence skill.. much as they would if they were aware they were under attack and moving. As such it's an additional bonus that automatically "kicks in" in response to another stimulus.. i.e. already attacking, defending or moving using at least 40% activity

However, the skill can become over-powered *really* quickly.... so I tend to use the bonus as an extension of the characters use of OB but only for defence. i.e. as additional "parry" with the same rough restrictions, i.e. The user has to be aware of the attack, capable of "free" movement and apportion the "parry" bonus between incoming attacks rather than it applying to ALL attacks*

*My house rules, however allow MA's with this skill to roll against this skill to negate positional bonuses that a "known" attacker may have in addition to any apportioned parry. 

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2018, 03:46:20 AM »
I like that!  And I agree.  The spirit of Adrenal Defense always seemed to me to be that ICE wanted to put martial artists on par with armed characters, who can devote their OB to parry. 

It's true that it can be overpowered, because it's a Combined rank progression.  A practical limit is still that you can't use it while wearing armor -- but then why bother if you throw everything into Adrenal Defense and nothing can hit you?

When I created these guys, they actually had an Adrenal Defense bonus of +40 rather than +20 (I figured two ranks per level to level 4).  I decided to reduce it because it seemed a bit much.  I guess we'll see!

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »
Nice rhyme of Nur-ilī, Enheduanna! He finally started working for the party!

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
Thanks!  I adapted it from a Neo-Assyrian exorcism tablet.  I anachronized the language (both Akkadian, but about 1,000 years apart from one another) and made the target of the spell Klumenos (third person subject) instead of the exorcist himself.

The astrologer is a rather arrogant and lazy fellow.  I wouldn’t get used to it.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2018, 02:48:46 AM »
So I happened across Van Ritchen's Guide to Werebeasts for 2E Ravenloft today.  I almost moved on, but then I remembered our werejackals.  That's where I discovered this:

Werejackal: Weapons made of beaten copper are effective against most werejackals. This soft metal is rarely used for normal blades, so copper weapons must be custom-made. I do not understand the symbolism of this vulnerability. As for other banes, some werejackals seem extremely vulnerable to fennel.

I was kind of dismissive of questions over the weremonks' vulnerabilities, but I'm going to retroactively incorporate this.  Instead of silver, werejackals are acutely vulnerable to copper -- and bronze weapons, such as those your characters are using, just happen to contain slightly more than 90% copper (modern bronze alloys often have less than 90% copper, but in the Ancient Near East 90+% copper was the norm, given the rarity of tin).  Taken further -- and here I'm just speculating -- this could account for the werejackals' focus on martial arts attacks and defenses that do not necessitate the use of the metal.  Iron is still rare and expensive, so a cult of copper-hating warriors would have little choice but to forgo weapons during this period.

:wizi:  Funny how things just work out sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:02:40 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »
LOL  the GM blessing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk