Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 18916 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
Yarlaganda

keeps his eye open as they travel through the city, but there's so much going on. Danger could be anywhere, he knows.

He does keep Warad-Marduk close by though. He doesn't trust the eunuch; he didn't like the familiar way he approached them earlier, nor how he loudly discussed their mission to Birsum.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
On the way to the temple, none of you detect pursuit.  The man who was watching you from the cart appeared to watch you leave, but did not follow.  Lahwi is especially certain that none one is stalking you, and that no ambush awaits.



The Temple of Šamaš is the busiest location in an otherwise quiet neighborhood.  You pass through the temple doors, and enter a large antechamber.  In this cool, dry room, there are several temple officials and scribes who manage the financial business of the temple.  You wait with Warad-Marduk for an official to become available, and your transaction is concluded shortly.  Warad-Marduk has no money with him, but he provides the official with a receipt which satisfies the man that the temple already has enough money to cover the contract in his account.

The temple scribe drafts a contract setting out the basic terms of your agreement:
1) That you will each receive 10 shekels (5 SP) of silver now.
2) That you will deliver two tablets to a man named Nūr-ilī on the outskirts of Bisrum.
3) That Nūr-ilī will execute a receipt, and when you return to the temple, you may present the receipt to earn another 30 shekels (15 SP) each.

The document is certified by three witnesses, and the scribe himself.  Warad-Marduk removes a cylinder seal from his robe, and adds this to the bottom.



The official calls for a slave, who disappears into the temple and returns with four small sacks containing 5 SP of silver each.  The contents of each of these is weighed to ensure you receive the correct amount. Meanwhile, the scribe makes two copies of the contract, and gives one to you, and the other to Warad-Marduk.

Would anyone like to do anything at this point, before you conclude your business and leave the temple?

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 01:57:49 AM »
For as far as I can tell, I think this concludes the business... for now.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »
Yarlaganda

jingles his new shekels in his hand. "How will we know this Nūr-ilī, when we get there?" he asks Warad-Marduk.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
As you exit the temple, Warad-Marduk answers the Gutian’s question.  “Well, we correspond regularly, so messengers will be expected.  He’ll be looking for you on the western edge of the village.  There’s a little bridge, as I understand it, where the road has to cross over an irrigation canal.  He’s a young fellow, with a noble sort of look.  Oh, and a good voice, from what I’m told.”

He begins to fish around in his robe, and eventually removes two tablets.  He offers them to Murdus, but before he lets them go, he says, in a plaintive tone, “Please, keep them safe.”

The animist can tell that these are both envelopes, which isn’t anything unusual.  The custom at this time was to write in cuneiform on a clay tablet, then encase that tablet in a layer of clay for its protection.  A copy, or at least a summary, of the contents of the enclosed tablet was then written on the outer layer of clay.  It appears both of these tablets are made this way.



What would you like to do now?  Also, I need another set of perception rolls for everyone.  If you’re actively searching, you should modify this by your Observation or Situational Awareness bonus, whichever is greater.  If you’re just passively going on your way, use Alertness or Sense Ambush.  Whatever you roll, modify it by a -43 penalty.  ;)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9637
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
Murdus

Taking them, he puts the tablets in his satchel.. "They'll be safe.." (He places each in separate empty leather "envelopes", of which, fortunately he had a couple).

He doesn't seem to take any great interest in what is written on the outside... there may be time enough later. But for now, for such a high price for delivery that whatever is written on the outside may very well not be a clear indication of what's inside anyway.

"Let us proceed.."

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
Yarlaganda

is mildly amused by the eunuch's description of their contact. They have never met in person, he surmises. No matter. "Western edge of town, little bridge. We will see he gets these clay scratches," he says.

He falls in behind Murdus, and stays vigilant.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:59 AM »
As you leave Warad-Marduk and the temple, you enter the street, and one or two of the group may feel a slight chill.  This is strange, because it’s the middle of a spring afternoon, and the sun is bearing down upon you.  You are in a residential neighborhood where the houses are built very close to one another on either side of the street, and the narrow avenue is jagged and irregular as it dodges around haphazardly placed buildings.



There are several other people about, and it’s broad daylight, but for some reason all of you are on the look out for anything amiss.  Lahwi and Murdus certainly aren’t surprised when you approach two homes with a patch of unusually dark shadows between them, and they overhear a whispered conversation.

In perfect Amorite, the voice of one man murmurs, “See!  The Temple for the contract, like I guessed.  You owe me.”

A hiss answers, “Gotta get the letters from them first.”

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
I’ll give your characters an opportunity to prepare for what comes next, e.g. run, draw weapons, call out these cowards, pretend like you didn’t hear them, etc.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
Yarlaganda

In spite of his vigilance, the ranger is oblivious to the danger. He's carrying his spear as usual, but his sword is sheathed and his shield is lashed to his saddlebag, on his camel.

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6620
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
Lahwi

In a low voice the Amorite tells the other party members that there are men ahead. He pretends to have heard nothing.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Yarlaganda

looks at the paladin in mild surprise, but doesn't say anything. He does move closer to his camel and takes down his shield.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
As you continue along the street, you hear someone in the shadows of the alley blow a clay whistle.  In response, a man rushes into the street from the open door of a nearby house.  On the other side of the street, a large woman leaps down from the low roof of a building.  From the shadowed alley whence you hear the whispers, a second man steps out and rushes at you.

You’ve seen this last man before; he’s the one who was watching you from the cart in the market.

None of you are surprised, thanks to a few sharp ears in your party.

All of these individuals are wearing dark clothing, along with rigid leather armor.  The woman’s hair is long, and pulled back into a tight braid.  Both of the men wear beards.  All three look young, strong, and well-groomed.  You see that the woman is armed with a spear, and has several daggers in her belt.  The man from the market has a short sword in his hand, and his male companion wields a club.

“Give us the tablets!,” shouts the man from the market, as he brandishes his sword.

Declaration of actions, and initiative rolls, if you will.  The man from the market is moving to attack Murdus, the woman is closest to the Gutian, and the man from the house has rushed in the direction of Lahwi and Indattu.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3443
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 01:21:19 AM »
Yarlaganda

throws his spear at the woman.

Danger! he thinks, in an attempt to warn his camel.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9637
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 06:30:04 AM »
Murdus

"Tablets?" he says..

"I wonder which ones?" he thinks..

"That mans attacking me.." .he adds as a virtual afterthought.. "Hmmm.."

He lets the satchel slip from his shoulder and assumes a defensive stance with his spear.

(OOP: Full parry)

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
I draw my weapon.

I mumble under my breath... "Let's do this."

In a loud voice "Which one of you wants to die first?"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:49:53 AM by Kantron »

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6620
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
Lahwi

will parry with half of his Axe's OB (134/2=67). The Amorite will charge his nearest opponent. "For Ištar!" he cried.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:45:01 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
Initiative Order:
27 Lahwi attacking Club Man
17 Spear Woman attacking Yarla
15 Yarla attacking Spear Woman
15 Indattu attacking Club Man?
14 Sword Man attacking Murdus
14 Club Man attacking Lahwi
9 Mystery Alley Man (Heard, but as-yet-unseen)
8 Murdus attacking Sword Man

The sword wielding man is cautious, and reserves 35 points of his 70 OB for parry.
The spear wielding woman reserves 20 points of her 60 OB.
The club wielding man is a rash fellow, reserves only 10.  He has 55 total OB.

I have Yarla’s attack, so why doesn’t everyone else give me their attack roll, and we’ll resolve actions in that order.  Your three opponents have AT 10. 

Offline Kantron

  • Knight Errant
  • *
  • Posts: 107
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:56 AM »
Yes, I attack club man.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1187
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 05:50:52 AM »
Round One:
1.  Lahwi attacks the club-wielding man with his axe:
Roll 36 + 67 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -10 Opponent’s OB + -21 DB = 82.  Crit roll 81.
Result: “A” Criticial. 14 Hits, Stunned for 5 rounds, 6 hits of bleed damage a round, +20 to your next attack.

2. The woman jabs her spear at Yarla:
Roll 14 + 40 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -55 DB = 9.
Result: Jab and a miss!

3.  Indattu attacks the club-wielding man (who has already used his parry OB):
Roll 74 + 89 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -21 DB = 150.
Indattu also uses his Ambush skill:
Roll 72 + 97 = 168.  Critical Roll 63+26 = 89
Result: “E” Critical, Success on Ambush.  12 Hits, Foe drops and dies in 12 rounds.

4.  Yarla attacks the spear woman:
Roll 91 + 52 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -20 Opponent’s OB + -21 DB = 112.  Crit roll 60.
Result:  “C” Critical.  24 Hits, foe stunned and cannot parry for 1 round.  1 bleed damage per round.

5.  The watcher from the market attacks Murdus:
Roll 37 + 35 OB + 10 Deliberate Action + -29 + -15 DB = 38.
Result:  Miss!

6.  The club-wielding man’s attack on Lahwi:
Incapacitated.

7.  The mystery man in the alley casts Mentalist Base — Mind Attack — Jolts III at Lawhi
Roll 90 + 24 skill = 114.  Spell cast successfully.
Spell Attack Mod. Roll: 11 = +60 to Lahwi’s RR
Lahwi’s RR Roll 66 + 6 Ment. Bonus + 60 Spell Attack Mod. = 132.
Result.  Lahwi easily shrugs it off.

8.  Murdus attacks the sword-wielding man.
Roll 41 + 10 Deliberate Action = 51.
Result:  Miss.

The several residents of this area scatter in terror.  A woman screams.
1.  The Paladin struck first, and caught the over-enthusiastic club-wielding man right as he stepped into his swing, dealing him a massive wound.  The man is stunned.
2.  Physically, the spear-wielding woman is a match for the Gutian.  But Yarlaganda easily avoids her spear-tip.
3.  Relying on his training, the clever Elamite, darts toward his stunned opponent.  His dagger plunges just below the man’s collar bone.  The club-wedding man drops his club, then drops himself.  He will die in 12 rounds.
4.  Yarlaganda throws his spear at the woman, and lucky for her, she was wearing leather greaves.  The spear strikes her thigh, inflicting a minor wound to her leg, and stunning her for a round.
5.  The cautious sword-wielding man moves to strike Murdus, but the Maganite easily parries the strike.
6.  The rash man with club is dying.  You think you hear him attempting to gasp something, but you can’t make it out.
7.  The other voice from the alley now appears about 100’ away, in the middle of the street.  He must have used some kind of magic to conceal himself until now.  He places his index fingers on the side of his head, looks at Lahwi, and shouts.  Lahwi feels the power of the spell hit him, but he resists its effect.
8.  Murdus spends the round so focused on his parry, that his attack whiffs.

The newcomer looks rather disappointed that his spell failed.  He's older than the others, and dressed in a soft leather breastplate, with no greaves.  He has a short sword at his side.

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk