Author Topic: Storytime (Main RP Thread)  (Read 22604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1040 on: July 24, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
Yarlaganda

pretends not to hear the jibe about letting the priest escape, but he feels the flush creep up his neck all the same. I will have another chance, he tells himself.

He lingers with the group as they make their way out if Bisrum, listening with avarice to Nur-ili's tales. But when they clear the village, he'll remember his duty and range ahead, though staying in sight of the group.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4095
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1041 on: July 26, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »
Klumenos

The Minoan will ride in the cart with the unconscious assassin, his bow at the ready.  He will hitch his donkey to the cart to follow along.  His shield will be at hand, and his Kopis at his hip.  He will alternate between keeping an eye on the assassin and scanning the horizon and surrounding lands for any sign of movement.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1226
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1042 on: July 27, 2020, 04:04:56 AM »

(River not to scale, but each hex is about 1 mile across).

Nur-ili is downright chipper.  But after about a mile he bounds up to Murdus.  "Hey old man, mind if I ride in the cart for a bit?  Overland travel on foot isn't really something they train awīlum (the upper-class of "free men") for in Ešnunna."

After about two hours of travel, Yarlaganda sights something on the northern horizon.  There seems to be a large group of mounted men headed south along the river.  They appear to be on the opposite (eastern) bank of the river, where the ground is harder and more uneven.  The area around you on the western bank is flat and open, though there are some sparse reeds and low-growing plants along the bank.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9690
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1043 on: July 27, 2020, 06:19:04 AM »
Murdus

Looks at the Astrologer in a manner that wouldn't exactly engender confidence in a positive response. "Whilst I appreciate your request, in that you've not presumed that just because I am not riding in MY cart, that you think you can...but it's not really up to me.. perhaps you better ask the Donkey, he's the one that's bearing all the weight."

He hands the reins to  Klumenos "Here take this, you guide it..... I have work to do.." Murdus has the confidence in the Donkey's abilities to take it's time.

Turns to the Astronomer... "There doesn't appear to be room anyway, it's only a small cart...and it appears you are doing well so far... I'd consider this the training you so desperately need..." He adds with a wink.

He will be keeping an eye out for useful herbs'n'stuff as they progress...wandering and meandering to the edges of the path they are following, however he keeps pace and does not wander far.

Seeing the horsemen he'll crouch into cover as if he'd found something.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1044 on: July 28, 2020, 01:32:55 AM »
Yarlaganda

will casually circle back around to the rest of his party, and try to stay out of sight of the strangers if the terrain permits. He keeps an eye on them though... do they seem interested in us?

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6642
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1045 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
Lahwi-addu

Tha Amorite takes a count of them and notices whether the the river is crosseable by infantrymen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:50:19 AM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4095
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1046 on: July 31, 2020, 01:09:04 AM »
Klumenos


The Minoan hops out of the cart, abandoning his ward, the assassin, to take up a position with Murdus's donkey between himself and the riders on the opposite shore as he leads the cart forward.

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1226
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1047 on: August 01, 2020, 03:11:46 AM »
When the merchant suggests asking the donkey, Nur-ili looks at him like he’s crazy.  The he sighs, and gives up.  He rolls his eyes when Murdus winks at him.

The party sights eight men on donkeys.  They’re riding at a modest pace.  Seven of them are carrying spears or javelins — you can see the bronze tips jutting above them, and glinting in the sun.  The seven wear loose-fitting robes, and some of them have turbans.  The eighth man, who rides in front of them, is dressed differently, in a bronze breastplate.  He also wears a turban.  (A Babylonian Region Lore roll at Easy Difficulty (+20) might help you to learn more about them.)



Lawhi is certain that the river would be difficult for the men to cross, unless they were good swimmers.  The river is relatively wide here, a little less than an ašlum (OB. “Cord”, 60 meters or 196.85 feet) — much wider than a man could throw a javelin.

The men seem to have noticed the cart.  One of them points towards you.  When they draw even with you, they stop their donkeys at the river bank and seem to be scrutinizing the donkey and cart.

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1048 on: August 01, 2020, 05:40:05 AM »
Yarlaganda

decides that a show of strength is warranted here. To run, or hide, might invite unwanted curiosity. He rides to the river’s edge, across from the group, and raises his spear in salute.

“Well met,” he calls in the common tongue. He’ll survey them, and the river, for any surprises.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9690
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1049 on: August 01, 2020, 08:44:07 AM »
Murdus

Sensing perhaps that the game is up, and they will be noticed... He bravely peeks through the brush, undergrowth, or reeds (whatever) by the river bank and tries to assess things a little better. Apart from a brief glance at the Donkey cavalry he appears to forget any threat that they might pose.... and continues his foraging efforts... one of them being, the possible presence of crocodiles in or by the river..... as he does so he'll mutter to the plants that it'd be nice to know beforehand whether any are hiding in there...

============

Lore General (Region Lore: (Babylon) = +60
Fauna Lore (Crocodiles?) = +62
Flora Lore = +74
Foraging (Distracted, Idly and quickly keeping an eye out random useful stuff..food, herbs etc) = +171 (less modifiers..)

Rolled 1d100 : 56, total 56
Rolled 1d100 : 38, total 38
Rolled 1d100 : 46, total 46
Rolled 1d100 : 23, total 23

   

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1226
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1050 on: August 08, 2020, 04:25:52 AM »
Klumenos, Murdus, Yarlaganda, and Lahwi-Addu consider the men

Klumenos: Roll 45 + 6 Skill + 20 Easy = 71
Result:  Failure.

Murdus:  Roll 56 + 60 Skill + 20 = 136
Result: Success!

Yarlaganda: Roll 130 + -1 Skill + 20 Easy = 149
Result:  Success!

Lahwi-Addu: Roll 93 + 30 Skill + 20 Easy = 143
Result: Success!

Narrative:  While Klumenos recognizes that the armored man doesn’t fit with the rest of his companions, his lack of familiarity with Mesopotamian cultures leaves him at a loss to explain it.

Luckily, Murdus, Yarlaganda and Lahwi-Addu are much more knowledgeable.  Both of them recognize that the other men are pastoral tribesmen, while the armored man is dressed like a soldier in the army of one of the city states.

— —
In the vegetation on the river bank, Murdus thinks about crocodiles:
Roll 38 + 62 = 100
Result: Near Success.

Narrative:  The merchant isn’t quite sure about whether crocodiles might be found along this river.  Maybe if he thinks on it a bit more?  (+10 to next roll).

Murdus also use his Flora and Foraging Lore:
Result: Absolute, Overwhelming Success.

Murdus realizes that this kind of vegetation is perfect for nesting waterfowl.  Sure enough, he sees nearby the signs that indicate that a bevy of quail are nesting in the reeds.  As a result of his success, he hasn’t disturbed the flock yet, but he guesses there would be multiple birds and eggs here.

— —
Meanwhile, Nur-ili surveys the men with his keen eyes.

Roll 85 + 57 Skill = 142
Result: Success

Narrative:  A jolt of recognition passes through the astrologer.  “Šīnātum! (OB. “piss!”) he mutters under his breath, as he drops down on the other side of the cart.

——
The solider, for his part observes the party:

Roll 12 + 29 = 41
Result: Failure

He doesn’t seem to notice Nur-ili dodge behind the cart.

— —

Across the river, one of the tribesmen moves up beside the soldier.

After a quick, whispered discussion between them, the tribesman raises his hand in greeting.  “May Šamaš keep you well!” he calls in a strong voice that carries easily across the river.  “Do you follow the river from the south?  From the village, Bisrum?  What news have you?”
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:27:56 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9690
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1051 on: August 08, 2020, 06:43:19 AM »
Murdus

Distracted by the shout and a little excited by his recent discoveries, he slowly stands up, probably forgetting the possible existence of aquatic carnivorous reptiles.. and the armed men on the far bank, instead turning to his own party.... he brandishes a small handful of very small eggs and a clump of edible plant matter... and whispers... "A late breakfast perhaps?"

---------------

Fauna Lore: (at +10 = +72)
Rolled 1d100+72 : 13 + 72, total 85

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6642
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1052 on: August 08, 2020, 07:37:52 AM »
Lahwi-addu

"We could make boiled egs, Murdus!"
To the soldier the Amorite answers "The village lies deserted, we just passed by."

Offline Barrow

  • GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 3510
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1053 on: August 08, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
Yarlaganda

feels his stomach rumble at the thought of breakfast. But he says nothing.

While the paladin treats with the strangers, Yarlaganda will casually dismount and crouch by the river. He'll make the ancient marks in the mud to summon a guardian, but he won't speak the words just yet... not unless the strangers seem inclined to cross the river uninvited.

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4095
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1054 on: August 09, 2020, 02:54:07 AM »
Klumenos

As the Minoan has already sought refuge behind the mule, he would be in the same side of the cart as Nur-ili, after he furtive slide behind the cart.  Klumenos whispers, "Fess up brother, why do you hide from  the men across the river?'"

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1226
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1055 on: August 12, 2020, 03:13:29 AM »
“Deserted?” responds the tribesman.

The soldier interjects.  “Is everyone dead there?”

The tribesman looks unhappy at the interruption.  “My tribesmen saw some —“ he hesitates, as if looking for the right word, “— strange weather last night.  Did you observe this?”

Before anyone can answer, the solider interrupts again.  “These men with me are men of the Yahrurû.  Their camp is about a mile upriver, where there is a crossing.  Come meet us, I would rather we talk as men than call at each other like animals across this river.”

[OOC:  Everyone who succeeded on the last Region Lore check knows that the Yahrurû are a subclan of the Yaminā tribal confederation.  These are Amorite peoples, who maintain the old pastoral, semi-nomadic lifestyle.  The Yahrurû are the main Yaminā subclan found in this region, and it’s not surprising they would be in this area of the Idiglat (OB. Tigris) River.]

You can tell from the dialogue that the solider doesn’t necessarily defer to the leader of the tribesmen.

“My name is Hammi­-zaku,” says the soldier.

“I am Bahlu-gayim,” the leader of the tribesmen, says — and you hear a hint of impatience in his voice — “I am the son of the Admu-erah, sugāgum of the Yahrurû.”

[OOC:  Everyone who succeeded on the last Region Lore check also knows that a sugāgum is the tribal equivalent of a king.  Each of the Yaminā subclans is headed by a sugāgum.]

— —

In response to Klumenos’s words, Nur-ili hisses, “Before you joined us, I was a prisoner of some Babylonian soldiers.  Soon after the disaster outside of Bisrum, one of their fellows deserted and rode north.  The deserter was that man.”
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:17:00 AM by Enheduanna »

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4095
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1056 on: August 13, 2020, 02:44:53 AM »
Klumenos

The Minoan steps from behind the donkey and hails, "Bahlu-gayim, son of the Admu-erah, sugāgum of the Yahrurû, I am Klumenos, emissary or the Crown of Knossos, the ruler of the island kingdom far to the west. These men are not deserters, but fellow travelers who have accepted my offer to travel with together.  As to odd weather, yes two dust devils of extreme size blow into the village of Bisrum where we spent the night, but oddly they reversed course and and blew north again. But if by "strange weather" what you refer to is the slaughter of two armies and all of the inhabitants of that village, well then yes we saw the aftermath, but not the actual "weather"--if that is what you meant.  While I appreciate the invitation of your "companion" to visit your camp, we have pressing business to the north.  Perhaps on our return we can sample your hospitality, but only if it is you who extends the invitation; we do not wish to presume."

Offline Enheduanna

  • Moderator
  • Baronet
  • *
  • Posts: 1226
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1057 on: August 18, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »
Klumenos's Negotiation:
Roll 117 + 60 Duping + 15 Complementary Skill (Diplomacy Attempt Total 130 = Success) = 192

Result: Absolute Success (any future influence attempts are +30)

Narrative:  Klumenos flexes his diplomatic weight, and everyone on the other side of the river is convinced.  Absolutely.

The leader of the tribesmen answers, "Your forthright answer does you credit, foreigner, and I will greet you and your companions with utmost hospitality, should we ever encounter one another again.  I know little of foreign lands, and would greatly like to hear of them.  We will not delay you any further."

The soldier is already turning his horse in a southern direction, and pays no more attention to the group.  The tribesmen make ready to follow him.

Offline Dalewarrior

  • GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • *
  • Posts: 6642
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1058 on: August 20, 2020, 05:02:46 AM »
Lahwi-addu

"Well, let's head north then!" says the Amorite and waves goodbye to the tribesmen. (Has the assassin yet recovered his sight?)

Offline Just X

  • War Lord
  • Viscount
  • *
  • Posts: 4095
Re: Storytime (Main RP Thread)
« Reply #1059 on: August 21, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »
Klumenos

The Minoan winks at the Astrologer and says in hushed tones, "It is more about what you don't say and how you say it, than the reality of what you say.  I told no lies, as I believe the soldiers we encountered when I first met you turned you free, apparently not judging you to be a deserter, unlike the one accompanying the tribesmen.  Additionally, the deserter presumed to be in command of free tribesmen--an assumption I have found to be erroneous time and time again, usually to the determent of the one making the assumption.  Deferring to the headman differentiated us from the deserter and showed respect, and who doesn't like being respected.  I believe we are now free of their interference and curiosity and potentially have an ally should we need succor after the venture into the cultist's city."  After a breath he asks, "As we approach the city should we wait for night fall to enter or is so abandoned that our party will go undetected?"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:45:23 PM by Just X »

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk