Author Topic: BRS: Chapter One - Assembly at Wethom, Orbaal  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

• Knight of the Purple Sash
    • Bloody Bohemian Earspoon Inn
BRS: Chapter One - Assembly at Wethom, Orbaal
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »
All of you have been ordered by Valhakar Tursi Cyeen (Arathel) to assemble at the thran of Valhakar Ydraan Kyrodwe (Wethom) on the afternoon of Nuzyael 1, 720 TR. On Nuzyael 1, all of the Ivinian lords of Orbaal hold a great feast to welcome in the new year. Due to the mass amount of people milling about this is an excellent time to conduct covert or secret meetings that do not draw unwanted attention.

As each of you arrive in Wethom shorty before dark, you are pulled aside by one of Valhakar Kyrodwe’s Huscarls and while exchanging the usual welcoming pleasantries he whisperingly directs you to make your way into the Valhakar’s longhouse, take a few moments to move about the house and mingle with a few recognized friends. This should make it appear you are just another guest and throw off any spies. A short time later you are to head to a small room off the main mead hall in the back and enter without knocking.

As you enter the longhouse doorway you can see through the thick smoke from the cooking fires that the place is packed wall to wall with family, friends and guests of the Kyrodwe clan, many of whom you know however, many more you do not. You think to yourself, it should be easy to grab a pint of ale and blend in, then make your way to the back room without being noticed.

OOC: Sorry, after re-reading that opening post it kind of leaves it hanging as though I was going to post more information. Go ahead ahead and pick this up as you arrive and enter the hall.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:09:05 AM by Gunnar Greybeard »

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
Re: BRS: Chapter One - Assembly at Wethom, Orbaal
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:45 AM »
Uskvaal enjoys a good revel, but the Huscarl's instructions have distracted him a bit, and piqued his interest. What could this be about? And why all the skullduggery? Knowing he will find out soon enough, he calls for a pint, and spends some time circulating among the guests. 

He exchanges the customary greetings and New Years' blessings with a number of old acquaintances and strangers, but takes care not to become mired in any long conversations that might mark him in someone's memory.

As he makes the rounds, Uskvaal keeps his eyes and ears open.  He will pay particular attention to the heraldry of the guests, to see if anyone of note is here; he will also discretely listen in on various conversations, in case they might yield some clues.  But he's not all business just yet... he joins in a few of the traditional songs, and enjoys a second pint of ale. He stops after that second pint, however, as he has no idea what the evening holds.

When he judges the time is right, Uskvaal discretely heads towards the appointed back room and enters without knocking.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
OOC: Rolls for Uskvaal's above actions, if neccesary.
Heraldry (45)
Intrigue (60)
Singing (56)

Rolled 1d100 : 94, total 94
Rolled 1d100 : 90, total 90
Rolled 1d100 : 37, total 37

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
Tharri Vaerdi carouses in the mead hall. He listens more than speaks, trying to know what the lord of the hall is intent on doing at the moment. Then he goes to the backroom.

Offline Reindeer

• Baronet
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:59 PM »
Magrin enters the mead hall with some trepidation. Being of Jarinese descent he knows that he might not be completely welcomed by the Ivinians present, but hopes that the fact that he was specifically invited here might give him some protection.

He moves on the fringes of the crowd trying to remain inconspicuous, though he does make his way to the ale table for a quick pint to help settle his nerves.

He sees some people he knows near the fire pits and roasting meats, and his mouth starts to water, but he knows that the lure of the fire might be too much for him in these cramped quarters. His desire to play with the dancing flames is strong, but at the moment stronger still is his desire to keep on the good side of the Valhakar.

He notices some other people that he recognizes along one of the side walls. Unlike those near the fire pits, these are also Jarinese.

He walks over and chats amiably with them, turning his back on the fires that seem to be calling his name.

After some catching up with his acquaintances near the wall, he excuses himself from their company claiming a call of nature, and when safely out of their sight in the packed room, makes his way to the relative peace and safety of the back room.

He almost knocks on the door, until he remembers his instructions, and slips straight in, closing the door behind him.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
As each of your enters the room you are greeted by a man of average high and obvious Jarin descent with hazel eyes and dark brown hair. He introduces himself as Barra of Darysyn and a servant of Valhakar Kyrodwe and he greets each of you by name. As Magrin enters and has been properly greeted, Barra turns and speak to everyone, "Lord Kyrodwe with be with us shortly, as soon as he finishes attending to his guests. Please take a seat and make yourselves comfortable." indicating that all of the parties involved have arrived.

As you all move to take up seats around the room, you eye Barra closely, without the mail byrnie he wears, he could easily pass for just another Jarin thrall working the fields across Orbaal. In fact, as all of you have travelled western Orbaal he does seems vaguely familiar. He's too well armed for a merchant, a messenger perhaps?

To Uskvaal, he appears extremely young and "Jarin" for someone so trusted to be within Valhakar Kyrodwe's inner circle however, anyone familiar with Valhakar Kyrodwe knows that he, as well as Valhakar Cyeen of Arathel are well known as allies if not friends of the Jara people. Looking other the other two guests who arrived shortly after him, Uskvaal notices they are all very young as well.

As you all get settled into your seats, and quiet descends on the room, Barra speaks up again, "Until Valhakar Kyrodwe arrives, if I can answer any questions you may have on why you have been called here, please feel free to ask."

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:26:56 AM »
Uskvaal smiles to himself, and resists the urge to ask if this was, in fact, the Valkahar's nursery. To hide his amusement, he moves to a sconce and lights his pipe.

"Pray, Barra of Darysyn," he says from around his pipe, smoke escaping from the corner of his mouth, "Have we met before? Your face seems familiar, but I confess I cannot say why."

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »
"That is highly likely Priest, or may I call you Uskvaal, as I frequently run errands among the western thrans for both Valhakar's Kyrodwe and Cyeen although I tend to keep a low profile as much as possible when moving about in Pjagel and Vold as Jarin are not that well looked upon in those parts."

Barra then goes on to provide some background information on himself.

"I was originally born in Leriel but was orphaned and adopted by a Jarin farmer and his wife here in Wethom. Unfortunately, much to my parents dismay, the farm life was not for me and at 14, I convinced Valhakar Kyrodwe to take me on a scout and I have served him in that capacity for the last 5 years."

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
Uskvaal grunts and nods at Barra's answer.  "Then that is probably why you look familiar," he says, taking a seat at the table. "You may all certainly call me Uskvaal," he continues, turning to address the others present. "I am a priest of Sarajin, though I do not claim to be his favorite. At your service."

As usual, Uskvaal does not volunteer any further information about his background. Perhaps these young men have not yet heard of Uskvaal the Kinslayer, he thinks. Perhaps that was before their time. At any rate, I will not be the one to tell them.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
"I am Tharri Vaerdi, a gentleman of fortune at your service," says Tharri. "I have come here at the request of the lord of the manor."

Offline Reindeer

• Baronet
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:27:05 PM »
Feeling somewhat uncomfortable in the presence of a holy man Magrin doesn't say anything, hoping that he can pass unnoticed for the most part.

When  Tharri introduces himself he can feel eyes turn in his direction even though his head is downcast. He knows that he should introduce himself as well and has a quiet struggle with himself over doing so.

Eventually he screws up his courage and quickly states "I am Magrin a hunter and trapper.", his voice rising in pitch as he speaks finally breaking on the last word.

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:02 AM »
For the next 15-20 minutes Barra continues making small talk, mentioning nothing that could be related to any important undertaking or the reason you might all have been called here. Finally, the door opens and in walks Valhakar Kyrodwe and one of his huscarls.

Barra turns to him and says "Milord, everyone is here and awaiting your instructions."

"Thank you Barra. Please wait outside and I will summon you again once the meeting here is over."

With that, Barra hustles out the door, closing it tightly behind him and the huscarl moves towards the door, placing his back against the hard wood, making sure its fully closed.

Stepping into the center of the room, the Valhakar eyes each of you in turn. "Gentlemen, I know you're curious to find out why you  have been called here so lets get right to it. I realize that most men only worry about what's going on in their lives and in their local areas but these are troubling times in the kingdom and Valhakar Cyeen needs loyal men he can count on. Each of you were hand picked for this mission and sadly, while he normally would have chosen men within his inner circle, not all of them can be trusted." His eyes roam the room again as he speaks this last sentence. "Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate on that part but, I can tell you why you are here and reinforce that you are NOT to speak about what is said here tonight to anyone outside of this room. Anyone who wishes can leave now and no one will think the less of you."

At that, the huscarl opens the door
and steps aside.

OOC: Just a note, if anyone wants to use a skill at any time during the game, go ahead and make those rolls in this thread with a brief note as to what/why you are doing it or hope to gain as Barrow did earlier and if anything is learned or accomplished I will PM you with that information.

You will also want to keep track of these rolls, successful or not as they will be counted for determining SIR (Skill Improvement Rolls) at the end of each game calendar month.

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:34 AM »
"Valkahar Cyeen you can count on my discretion in the business you have to send us on, as before hand." He waits for the Valkahar to speak.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Uskvaal nods in agreement with Tharri Vaerdi. "You honor me with your trust, my Valkahar," he says solemnly, "and, as always, you may count on me."

Offline Reindeer

• Baronet
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
"I've never been one to gossip out of turn." Magrin says "So you can count on my silence as well."

Offline Gunnar Greybeard

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:22 AM »
Seeing no one taking him up on the offer to decline the mission, Valhakar Kryodwe motions to his huscarl to close the door and he continues . .

"A few weeks ago, several children disappeared from the village of Sahel which as you know is just across Jariga Lake from Pethwys. Sahel is a very small village with only about 15 households so the loss of even a few children would be devastating. As it sits on the southwestern bank of the lake it is extremely isolated, only accessible by boat.

Prince Felan Weymyss of Pethwys is convinced it was renegade Ivinians done in the hope of stirring up unrest and I believe he secretly hopes that it does as we all know that he is a big supporter of the Jarin resistance movement. It seems that the untimely death of his sister who was married to King Alegar II may have pushed him over the edge as he is convinced she was murdered by one of Alegar's other Ivinian brides.

Valhakar Cyeen believes that its either a plot by the Jarin resistance to pin blame on Ivinians and ignite another rebellion or Gargun raiders from the nearby colony at Pujet. Either way, the truth must be found out before tempers get to better of some people and the situation explodes into open violence between Jarin and Ivinian.

Any questions so far?"

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
...Any questions so far?"

Uskvaal shakes his head no, and continues to listen quietly.

Inwardly, he considers the current political situation, and what he knows about the region around Sahel and Pethwys.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
OOC:
Rolls for Uskvaal's private musings.

I'm rolling Intrigue to see if he may have any political insights into the situation, beyond what the Valkahar has described.

I'm also rolling Folklore, to see if the missing children remind him of any rumors or tales he may have heard.

Intrigue (55)

Folklore (36)

Rolled 1d100 : 81, total 81
Rolled 1d100 : 53, total 53

Offline Dalewarrior

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
Tharri Vaerdi also continues to listen attentively as the details of the mission unfold.

Offline Reindeer

• Baronet
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »
Knowing that there will be time to ask questions after the briefing, Magrin continues to listen trying to make mental notes on questions he wants to ask.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk