Author Topic: Character Creation  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Zingo

• Banner Bearer
Re: Character Creation
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
Oh, I just did point based characteristics.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
― Mark Twain

Offline pfloyd

• Knight of the Round Table
  • Team Dresden
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Okay, refining my character, who's more of a spy than an assassin, but fills both roles.

Allegiances sort of throw me. It's the first time I'm reading through those rules.
How many allegiance points do we get at the start? Or, how many allegiances are we allowed, and do we roll 1d6-2 on each?

Hello, IT, did you turn it off and turn it on again?

Don't think of it as being vastly outnumbered. Consider it a target-rich environment.

I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation

Offline pfloyd

• Team Dresden
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
Barring everything, I should have something passable come following the weekend.

From 21 December through New Year's, I'll be on holiday, but I'll make sure to check in at least once per day.

Don't think of it as being vastly outnumbered. Consider it a target-rich environment.

I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?

Offline Modric

• Baron
  • Iacta alea est (the die is cast)
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
The way I read the Allegiance rules, you roll 1d6-2 per allegiance in the campaign. As far as how they're distributed, you can allocate them how you want.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
I think I've recruited an additional player, so it looks like we'll have a party of four.  :mellow:

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
  • "May Shiggeth Cha guide us." -Marjan (EPT Game)
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
Hey Modric... Um, how do you do Allegiances again?  I think I did everything else for my character but that.  I'm really lost on that point.
:mice 1d100:  :mice 1d20+1:  :mice 3d6:  :mice 1D6+1:  "m" -> "d"

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

http://samwise7.yolasite.com/

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
Let me check the rules over the weekend and I will post some rules of how we can apply them to the game.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
Hello everyone! Just checking in.

I'm still reading through the posts and BRP rules to catch up... but I think I can safely say that I'd like to play a centaur warrior.   :yes:

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 11:33:40 PM »
Welcome aboard our four-footed friend.   :wizi:

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
My character is shaping up! I hope to have him posted in the next day or so.

I do have a question on his combat skills: since he's a centaur,  can I replace the normal 'Brawl' and 'Grapple' skills with the Centaur combat skills on pg. 340 (kick, rear & plunge, and trample)? It fits his character, but I don't want to overreach.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
I'm fine with switching the standard combat skills for the Centaur skills.

I owe everyone Allegiance rules. I will try and post them ASAP. If Barrow posts his character before Pfloyd, we can start and pfloyd can catch up.

Offline Barrow

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »
Meet Ryzan, Exile of Paro. Please let me know if you see any mistakes (especially with the math!) or if anything seems unreasonable.

Ryzan the Centaur

Male Soldier

He is 23 years old.

STR  (3d6+6) 19   Effort      95
CON (3d6+1)  13   Stamina  65 
SIZ (4d6+12)  31   
INT (2d6+6)    14   Idea        70
POW (3d6)      16     Luck     80
DEX (3d6+3)  12
APP (3d6)       13

Move 10

Effort        95
Stamina    65
Idea          70
Luck         80
Charisma 65

Damage Bonus +2d6

Hit Points  44/44
Major Wound 22

PP 16

Exp Bonus 7

Professional Skills

Attacks:

Kick (50+10) 60
Rear and Plunge (5+35) 40
Trample (25+35) 60
Melee Weapon-- Great Sword (5+60) 65
Antler (0) [broken]

Command (5+10) 15

Dodge (24+30) 54
Jump (25+30) 55

First Aid (14+10) 24
Language (Human Common) (0+30) 30

Personal Skills (140)

Language (own: Paronine) (70+0) 70

Gaming (30+5) 35
Knowledge (Ancient Battles) (1+25) 26
Knowledge (Philosophy) (1+20) 21
Knowledge (Games of Chance) (1+25) 26

Perform (Lyre) (5+25) 30
Art (Compose Tune) (5+5)10

Persuade (15+5) 20

Strategy (1+25) 26

Inventory:

Great sword (2d8+db; ENC 3.5)
Half-plate armor on torso (AP 7; ENC 18; -20% physical skills)
Chain barding on horse frame (AP 7; ENC 20; -20% physical skills)
Heavy Helmet (+2 AP; Enc 2.5; -50% perception skills)
Hooded cloak

Satchel: Small lyre, book of ancient philosophy, two dice, utility knife, whetstone & sharpening oil, a couple of days' rations, some odds and ends, and two or three coins (he's essentially broke).

Ryzan the centaur is an exile from the distant land of Paro.

Not so long ago, Ryzan was a lieutenant in the Paronine Emperor’s most elite heavy legion, the Imperial Cataphract. He trained in the Disciplines of The Hoof and The Sword at the unforgiving hands of some of the finest fighting-masters in the world. He learned to fight individually, and as part of a unit.

Not all of his lessons were martial; a true Cataphract is both a scholar and a soldier, after all. So, Ryzan studied the ancient philosophers, and the battles they fought. He learned the lyre.

He was an indifferent student, but showed other signs of greatness: he proved a skilled combatant, and more importantly, he had an aptitude for command. His Captain soon gave Ryzan a small cohort of his own, and the young centaur proved himself a capable leader.

Alas, his budding career was soon cut short. His meteoric rise made him overconfident, and foolish young buck that he was, Ryzan dared to court one of the Emperor’s daughters in secret. Of course, it was not long before they were exposed, and only the wails of the young princess convinced the Emperor to spare the centaur’s life; instead of taking Ryzan’s head, the axe merely took his magnificent antlers, leaving only two short, broken stumps.

So, shamed and banished from his home, Ryzan has come to faraway Jan, looking for a place to hide from his disgrace, and consider his return.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
Character idea looks good. I'll go through the numbers and let you know if anything is off.

Since we have three characters ready to go, we'll start. I need to go through my notes and prep some more, so give me a few days to get ready. Pfloyd can join us when he can, since he's pretty busy in the real world.  :lol:

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
While waiting for my furnace to get fixed the other day, I put together this character sheet. I wanted to share it with the group.

Going forward, I wanted to get feedback on optional rules to use in the game. On the character sheets, I included formulas for hit-by-location and simplified skill bonuses. This is my first time running a BRP game, so feedback is welcome. Considering how modular this system is, I'm looking forward to coming up rules that can be tailored to the system.

Offline pfloyd

• Team Dresden
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Isn't the Skill Category Bonus a bit higher than what you have there, or is this a house rule? Just saying, looking at my copy of the BRP rules. There's the Primary stat, one or two secondary stats, and a possible negative stat that affect the bonus.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
I applied the optional rule were the skill category bonus is 1/2 either Dex or Int depending on the category. It provides a higher bonus, but you're tied into those two stats.

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
So I should plug everything into the character sheet and see if there are any differences? 

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
You don't have to use the sheet. I put it togete so I can come up with NPCs quickly.  :lol:  I just posted it if you want to use it. 

The she has functions for th BRP calculations. I wanted to use category bonuses, but the formula would have been a headache so I used the simpler of the two options (1/2 Primary Stat). If you think the bonuses are too high, we can go with the traditional method, but you'll need to calculate it manually. 

I also included formulas to calculate hit point by location. I'm still considering whether I want to use this rule or not. Feedback welcome. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk