Author Topic: Realms & Regions  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Modric

• Baron
  • Iacta alea est (the die is cast)
Realms & Regions
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
Discussion on the different realms, regions & lands of the World.

Offline Modric

• Baron
Re: Realms & Regions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Map of the World, Daellon.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
Namzabu, The Land of Blood & Fire

Races: Human, Dwarven, Dyre, and Tin'dynu (in that order of population).

In Namzabu the hierarchy of the priests (called Ahkin) rules the land with an iron fist.  The hierarchy has many levels to it, but at the top is a council of 3 Archpriests that are said to drink the blood of the mass sacrifices to divine the will of the gods's cohorts (since the ancient pantheon of gods is said to be no more).  It is also rumored that they perform many gruesome rites on the bodies of those who are to be sacrificed to try to divine the future or to clarify some of the blood visions that they have.  At the moment the Archpriests have stated that two of the dead gods' cohorts are to be appeased with bloodletting and sacrifice: Ahuitzil - She of the Ebon Blade, and Hunakbu - He of the Devouring Eyes.

There is a lineage of Kings but they have no real power to rule the land or its people.  The King shows up at religious celebrations, rituals, and mass sacrifices and lives in luxury and relaxation the rest of his time.  The King is required by the hierarchy of priests to be married to no less or no more than 3 women.  These women are normally selected from powerful families for political reasons.  Rarely one of these women will be a Dyre or a Dwarf to attempt to appease those factions in the kingdom.

The Namzabus have carved huge buildings into the side of their inland mountains and it is on these structures that the blood of slaves and foreign prisoners are shed to appease the thirst of the gods' cohorts that remain. This culture raids the coasts to the North and to the South of their lands for these sacrificial victims.

An insectoid race calling themselves the Tin'dynu live in small bands that mostly wander around in the harsh jungles of Namzabu.  They look like a large human sized combination of mostly a Praying Mantis with back plates that seem similar to a Dung Beetle.  They are voracious meat eaters that hunt in efficient packs.  There only permanent dwellings are holy shrines that are difficult to find in the dense foliage.  These shrines are littered with offerings that are parts of the animals they kill on their hunts.  They do not worship the many unnamed demons of the jungle, but they do hope that the offerings will appease them and appease their wrath.  The demons of the jungle are called the Gha'inea by the Tin'dynu people which roughly translates to The Thousand and One Eyes of Chaos. 

Isfell

Isfell is the harsh wilderness of the north. It is an untamed land formed by volcanic eruptions and glacial erosion. It's central mountians and southern coastline are filled with ancient, dense, coniferous rainforests (like the forests of America's pacific northwest). It's northern reaches are frigid tundra and glaciers of unmelting snow and ice.

Isfell's southern coasts are dotted with many independent human city-states, while the central mountains are the realm of semi-nomadic elven tribes. The region's ore-rich volcanic stone has also attracted the attention of dwarves, whose mines can be found all throughout the mountains, and whose merchants are a common sight within the coastal trade ports.

The major gods are rarely whorshiped in Isfell. The population predominately engages in the shamanistic whorship of regional nature and ancestral spirits. Most of the major faiths of the south engage in agressive missionary operations within Isfell, in the effort to convert its population before the other major faiths. So far, none of these efforts have gained significant traction.

Dorma

Dorma is a land of steppes and grass that extends across the continent to the Exotic realm of Kor. Nomadic human tribes congregate in large tribal settlements. Dorma is also home to feral Centaurs and Dires that pillage Jan and Baemor. The mountains in the North are believed to hold an ancient dwarf kingdom, whose doors are shut to all other races.
Myth tells of great wingless Wyrms and other creatures that borrow in the steppe and swim through the grass as if it was water.

Jan

Once the center of Akzumoth’s worship, the land of Jan has degenerated into waring states and factions. In antiquity, the Throne of Akzumoth rested in the City of Omens. After the Time of Tribulations, the City of Omens fell into ruin and disrepair. All that remains are haunted ruins. Today, the fertile farmlands of Jan are controlled by warlords and petty kings. Along the Souther Coast, republic city-states have grown wealthy from trade Shayra and Namzabu. In the forested mountains to the north and south live nations of satyrs and Elves. Few dwarfs remain. Dires from Dorma and Baemor raid the central farmlands.

Janians worship an Empyrean known as Zuriel, the God of Resurrection and the New Creation. According to the Budhi Shards, Zuriel is the only True God. While most mortals pray to Zuriel to restore life, others invoke Zuriel to manipulate undeath. Zurites also venerate angelic deities known as Nymra, the Lady of Death and Illyrie, the Lady of Mysteries, who may intercede on the behalf of mortals with Zuriel.

Baemor

A realm of untaimed forests, rivers and mountains, Baemor is home to a race of hearty and barbaric humans descended from Isfell. During the time of Akzumoth, Baemor was subjugated by the Jan Emperors. Since the Tribulations, Baemorians reverted back to their barbaric ways including shamanism, tribal warfare, and human sacrifice. The missionaries of the Empyreans have converted some tribes of Baemorians, while others still worship the nature spirits from Isfell.

The Baemorians are race-enemies with Dires. Elf and dwarf kingdoms also reside in Baemor, but they are reclusive and shun man. Satyrs are more common and accepted in Baemor. The continuous state of strife makes the Baemorians prized soldiers, mercenaries, and slave-gladiators.

The Baemorians practice a form of blood-sorcery. The most powerful spells require human sacrifice.  The Baemorians who have accepted the Empyrean faiths worship Zuriel, Reilik (the God of Wrath and Destruction), and Gwionare (Lord of the Lost).

Shayra

This is an equatorial desert. Not much is known of Shayra. Human traders are hairless and covered with magical tattoos. They trade in enchanted spices, slaves, dervishes, and magical talismans in the cities of Jan, Baemor, and Namzabu. There are tales of a great city in the desert built around oasis. Others say that those of Shayras are bound to demons and serve as their slaves on earth.

In small nomadic bands that crisscross the desert wastes there is an insectoid race that look like a cross between a Giant Desert Centipede and a Cactus Longhorn Beetle.  The V'tasrak trade and barter with the other races, and they eat only vegetables and other desert plants that they can find.  They tend to know where all of the out of the way oasis are, and can be the difference between life and death in the deep desert to travelers that can get them to help them.

Ortil

The D'sulas insectoid race are the enemies of all intelligent life in that region.  Many centuries ago the D'sulas once ruled this region, but they were slaughtered in droves by the invading Human and Elven forces.  D'sulas slaves form work crews that perform unsavory duties that their human masters do not wish to ever perform again.  "Free" D'sulas live on reservations in the most unwanted and inhospitable regions.  This insectoid race looks like a combination of a Green Lacewing and a Darkling Beetle.

Human representatives form one of the houses of government and the other house of government is ruled by Elven representatives.  Elections are held once every 20 years for these positions.  At the head of the government is a pair of hereditary rulers that are voted into power from the most prestigious ruling family lines.  Genealogy is very much prized in this kingdom, and many of the more powerful families can trace their family tree back to the original invasion into Ortil.   

The Empire of Kor

Kor is a land of stone and ice, a hostile realm ruled by bickering god-emperors and their vast legions of fanatical warriors. Racially related to the Dormians and Isfells, the Korians seek to subjugate the world. The god emperors live in secret, closed cities high in the mountains. Legends say that these cities reside in verdant vales apart from the harsh snow and cold.

Korians worship a pantheon of alien gods known as the Usurpers.  They believe that the Old Gods are frozen in the ice in the Arctic and they make offerings to them so that they remain asleep. The Usurpers are depicted as horrible creatures of many forms. Their cosmology is complex and varied. Their kings are seen as manifestations of the Usurper God Ulm-Shonil. Different sects of aesthetic priests tend massive and terrible temples, which house giant statutes to the Usurpers.

The Chany Paradise

The Chanians are a race of tall, slender humans with dark skin and silver hair. Considered a paradise, Chany is a tropical jungle on an arpeggio of Volcanic Islands. They worship nature elementals and do not possess a concept of ownership or money. The islands are more stable climatically that the mainland.

The Chany tribes, however, have a dark side. The tribes, while internally peaceful, will war fiercely with tribes from different isles. Also during change in seasons, the Chanians undergo a “frenzy” of violence and sex leading to mass carnage.

In the waters surrounding the Chany Islands is an aquatic race. The Chanians venerate these creatures as servants of the elemental gods.

Paro

In the distant land of Paro risky merchants and faithful and devout missionaries tell of a race of stoic and prideful antlered centaurs that debate about the meaning of everything.  Unlike many other places in the world the majority of the populace here believe that the gods and their underlings never existed at all.  It is here that they say that everything that could be called a miracle is instead a result of personal divinity or the lack thereof.  Here meditation is the norm instead of prayer, sacrifices, or devotions.  Many schools of various forms of thought with their own magical traditions vie for power and to uncover the mysteries of the universe.     

"Power is within you, cast out into the world, and returns to you in various forms.  It is by your will alone that everything happens.  What you put out into the world, will return ten fold to you in the same form that you sent it out with." 

The military forces of this land are very mobile and speed is stressed in their rigorous training exercises.  Only a few members of the outside races have ever crossed into this land and returned to report of their violent past-times and rough competitions held in front of shouting crowds. 

In ghettos of the major cities of the land, as well as performing menial tasks appointed to them by the Centaurs are the Ityq'h.  The Ityq'h are an insectoid race that trace their beginnings back to the other insectoid races of far off lands though they appear to be very different in form.  They also share the same language as the other insectoid races though there are regional dialects now.  They look like a mix between an enormous wasp and a grasshopper.  The Ityq'h do not get bored of repetitive tasks, in fact they take joy in them.  There have been several uprisings by angry groups of these second class citizens but all of them were brutally shut down by the Centaurs.   

Coria

The Verdant Realm, Coria is a region of verdant fields, rolling hills, forests, and  farmlands. The predominate races here are humans, elves and centaurs. There is also a population of  the V'tasrak race that makes their home here. The human culture is matriarchal and the Corian kingdoms are ruled by powerful and majestic queens. The region is known for its harvest in grain and fruits, and produces some of the best wines and spirits in the World.

The Corians worship a New God know as Serime, the World Mother. According to their faith, Serime revealed herself after the fall of Akzumoth and serves to give birth to a new world. To appease the World Mother, and ensure fertility and the harvest, Priestesses perform sacrifices to the Ath-Sathle, giant carnivorous plants who the Corians believe are servants of Serime. Slaves, "lesser races,"and upstart males are all proper subjects of sacrifice.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:58:14 AM »
Regional Map of North East Daellon.

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
  • "May Shiggeth Cha guide us." -Marjan (EPT Game)
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
That came together quickly.  I like what we have cobbled together so far.  :)  I think all of the major regions have some description now.
:mice 1d100:  :mice 1d20+1:  :mice 3d6:  :mice 1D6+1:  "m" -> "d"

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

http://samwise7.yolasite.com/

Offline CelestialFury

• Messenger
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 06:46:08 PM »
Did you make that map? It looks really good.

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
Yes. I used Campaign Cartographer 3, which is a mapping software for RPG games. The world map was based on a randomly generated fractal map, which I used as a template in CC3.

Celestial Fury & Samwise 7- now that we've fleshed things out, did you have any thoughts on unique elements? I've come up with irregular seasons and also limits on magic to sorcery only ("magic" as per the BRP rules is rare/ forgotten, but can be learned).

Offline Modric

• Baron
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »
New map with major cities.

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
The map is looking good.

"After awhile, I began using the simplest possible system with my own gaming groups. As my old friend, Dave Arneson, and I agreed, one simple die roll is all that one needs: failure or success. The players don’t really care, as long as the roll is honest. Who cares if I hit with the flat of my shield, with the edge of my shield, or whatever? The story’s the thing!" -M. A. R. Barker

Offline samwise7

• GamesMasters
  • Marquis
    • Samwise7RPG Youtube
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:05:05 AM »
I made sure to save the details.  I had fun working on this.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk