Author Topic: Rules  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
Rules
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
Rolemaster (RM) 2 and RM Classic are an expansion of MERP; basically it's the same rules but with expanded spells and skills.

For combat, you roll a D100+OB-DB-Parry (the amount you decrease the OB to increase the DB).

For static maneuvers, you roll on the Static Maneuver Table, a 111 is a success; a 75 or less a failure; and in-between you roll again with a +5-10 bonus.

For moving maneuvers, you roll on the Moving Maneuver Table. The number obtained is the % of the action accomplished in 1 round; or the % you need to roll below for success.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:20:14 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
For static maneuvers, there's a Difficulty rating applied to Maneuvers, according to the skill description, that varies between:

Routine: +30 to +95
Easy: +20 to +55
Light: +10 to +25
Medium: +0
Hard: -10
Very Hard: -20
Extremely Hard: -30
Sheer Folly: -50
Absurd: -70
Insane: -100
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:48:54 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:28:55 PM »
Spell casters may cast a normal spell (90% activity) and an instantaneous spell (10%) in the same round.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:17:16 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:42:49 AM »
Here's the Recruitment Static Maneuver Table attached below.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »
Baron Greystone, this should answer the first part of your question towards armour worn. You're aiming at AT 10.

Descriptions of Armor, Arms & Claw Law, pp. 10-11,

Leather armor: AT 5-10; AT 5-8: Soft Leather; AT 9-10: Rigid Leather.
AT 5: Leather Jerkin without arms to the mid-thigh.
AT 6: Leather coat covering the arms and to mid-thigh.
AT 7: Reinforced leather coat; as above, but with either rigid leather sections, or metal sections sewn in for reinforcement.
AT 8: Reinforced full length leather coat; as above, but covers to the lower leg.
AT 9: Rigid leather breastplate; covers to mid-thigh and the upper arms.
AT 10: As above, but with leather greaves covering the forearms and lower legs.
Chain armor: AT 13-16
AT 13: Chain shirt covering the torso to mid-thigh and half of the upper arms.
AT 14: As above, but with greaves on the forearms and lower legs.
AT 15: Full chain; a chain mail covering most of the body and legs in the form of a shirt and leggings.
AT 16: Chain hauberk; a full length chain mail coat, split from the waist in the front and back to facilitate movement.
Plate armor: AT 17-20
AT 17: Metal breastplate
AT 18: As above, but with greaves on the forearms and lower legs.
AT 19: Rigid plate armor covering the body, but with chain mail between the plates, at the joints and covering the legs.
AT 20: As above, but with plates overlapping at joints, and plate armor covering the legs.

Stalking penalties due to armour worn:
Modifiers due to AT:   Penalty to Stalking (Moving Silently) from The Skill companion:
AT 5                    -5
AT 6                    -10
AT 7-8                    -30
AT 9, 13, 17   -15
AT 10, 14, 18   -20
AT 11, 15, 16   -40
AT 12, 19                  -60
AT 20                  -80

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
Greystone here are the rules on Encumbrance attached, they're pretty simple.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
Fellows, I forgot to say, spell-casters need magic books to memorize their spells. I'll assume you all have them and do so on the beginning of the morning; it goes quickly, 1 round per spell.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:45:23 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
Fellows, I forgot to say, spell-casters need magic books to memorize their spells. I'll assume you all have them and do so on the beginning of the morning; it goes quickly, 1 round per spell.

?! How big are these books? One book per part of a list? (1-10, 11-20 etc.)?

Can we share books? :)
"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Pocket-books, one book can include all the base professional spells and the Open and Closed spells of a spell caster of level 11.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »
Does this mean you are not using the rolemaster rules for spell casting?
Can you elaborate your house rules for spell casting. They sound very D&D like.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
No I'm using the RM rules for spell-casting, just this one thing. Like this, if spell casters are imprisoned, they aren't killed for their deadliness, ie the ability to use spells at their will. I'm not saying you'll be imprisoned,  :lol: but it has happened before in my games.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
No I'm using the RM rules for spell-casting, just this one thing. Like this, if spell casters are imprisoned, they aren't killed for their deadliness, ie the ability to use spells at their will. I'm not saying you'll be imprisoned,  :lol: but it has happened before in my games.

As a GM, I found that binding, gagging and draping casters in a helmet and 20 lbs of chain mail does just fine ... the chance of spell failure is astounding at that point. :)

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »

If this is the reason for your house rules, another option is to not allow the optional ESF rules. That way binding the hands of a spell caster will prevent them from casting spells. Personally I'd prefer that than D&D like spell casting. (if that is what you have in mind). Besides, won't taking away a spell casters spell book only prevent them memorising new spells? They will still have the ability to cast any spells they have already memorised. Just a suggestion. Happy to go along with whatever your decide.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
All right, that option seems sensible enough; without at least a hand free there's no spell casting possible.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Here's the Static Maneuver Table; the other table is the Movement Maneuver Table.

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »
...As a GM, I found that binding, gagging and draping casters in a helmet and 20 lbs of chain mail does just fine ... the chance of spell failure is astounding at that point. :)

Your kinder than I. In my last campaign (using RM Classic), when the party was captured, I had a steel helmet rivetted to on to the mentalism spell user and the tongues cut out of the channeling and essence spell users. Of course they eventually both got their tongues restored (I'm not that cruel). It made for some great roleplaying. http://slavers-campaign.awardspace.info/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:50:13 AM by Gilothel »

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »
...As a GM, I found that binding, gagging and draping casters in a helmet and 20 lbs of chain mail does just fine ... the chance of spell failure is astounding at that point. :)

Your kinder than I. In my last campaign (using RM Classic), when the party ws captured, I had a steel helmet rivetted to on to the mentalism spell user and the tongues cut out of the channeling and essence spell users. Of course they eventually both got their tongues restored (I'm not that cruel). It made for some great roleplaying. http://slavers-campaign.awardspace.info/

Red-hot chain mail :D - jk - yep guess I am a softy ... but then I don't recall many times I've captured PC casters except when they are unconscious or dead ... (My last game ended in essentially a TPK)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
Interrogation (information gathering): This skill provides a bonus for extracting information from an intelligent source. This skill not only applies to torture but also includes the ability to piece together scattered fragments of information received. The difficulty of an interrogation is dependent on the subject being interrogated. The interrogator will generally ask a series of questions, hoping to catch inconsistencies and implied information. This is useful for criminal investigations as well as more general information gathering. The interrogator must often extract the truth from an abundance of lies. It is even more difficult to interrogate a subject who is attempting to cover up or who does not want the interrogator to learn the information. If a target is tortured and the Interrogation fails, the target should roll a RR vs. a 10 level attack with the CO/SD/CO bonuses.

Specialties: Torture, mental and physical (+10-+75); investigative reporting; witness interrogation; etc.

Example Difficulties:
Routine: Gleaning relevant information from an articulate and cooperative subject.
Easy: Determining if the subject is deliberately withholding information. This does not imply guilt, however.
Light: Extracting useful information from an incoherent, but cooperative, subject.
Medium: Obtaining clues from an uncooperative subject. Such clues generally provide non-information, e.g. the murder weapon is not in the fireplace.
Hard: Piecing together information from a number of sources, none of whom are particularly observant. Most witnesses at a crime scene seem to fall into this category. The testimony is often contradictory or inaccurate.
Very Hard: Obtaining actual information from an uncooperative subject, e.g. the location of the murder weapon.
Extremely Hard: Obtaining clues from an intelligent subject that has a personal stake in the result of the interrogation, e.g. he is the murderer; the information will be used against his people, etc.
Sheer Folly: Obtaining information from an intelligent subject that has a personal stake in the result of the interrogation.
Absurd: Obtaining anything from a fanatic. Note that very few people truly qualify. Most people will cave in when severely tortured.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
Seduction: This skill provides a bonus when attempting to emotionally, sensually, or sexually manipulating someone. Note that this is not limited to sexual seduction! Manipulation of a person’s sensual sensibilities, urging a person to indulge in some fantasy or desire, and convincing a person of some tenet on emotional rather than on rational grounds can all be classified as seduction.
Seduction is used to convince the target to succumb to his desires. If the target does not have a specific desire, no amount of seduction will change his mind. The difficulty of a Seduction maneuver depends on the strength of the desire and the seriousness of the action.

Specialties: any specific temptation, eg. sex; money; fame; etc.

Routine: Convincing someone to do soemthing he was probably going to do anyway. For example, enticing a john.
Easy: Swaying a target to your side in a conflict, when that target is unsure of his own position.
Light: Causing a target to fulfil a strong desire with no chance of discovery.
Medium: Convincing someone to succumb to a normal desire when there is little risk or chance of discovery.
Hard: Swaying a target to your side, provided the target has little stake in the outcome.
Very Hard: Convincing a target to succumb to a normal desire when there is a significant chance of discovery. This includes any political figure whose reputation is at stake.
Extremely Hard: Swaying a target to your side, when the target has investment in the outcome, e.g. his family is in danger, he has deep philosophical beliefs, etc.
Sheer Folly: Seducing a target with little interest in the offer.
Absurd: Convincing a target to do something that is dangerous or lethal. Some cults seduce their members into suicide pacts.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
Trip holes: These are small holes dug throughout a stretch of field or road. These holes are camouflaged. Depending on the density of holes, the GM may want to assign a percentage chance that a hole will be stepped in. Once a hole has been stepped in, it is less likely to affect someone else, as it becomes visible. These holes may be filled up by attackers when time permits. Any horse stepping into a trip hole must make a Very Hard maneuver modified by its speed to prevent injury to itself. If the maneuver is successful, the horse manages to escape with no injury. If not successful, the horse will take a +50 Fall/Crush attack. The horseman whose horse steps in a trip hole must make a Very Hard Riding maneuver to not be thrown from his mount. Either way, the horseman will take a Fall/Crush attack. If he remains mounted, he will only take a +0 OB attack. If he is thrown from his horse, the attack will be +25 OB attack modified by its speed. A successful Tumbling maneuver can lessen this damage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk