Author Topic: Setting  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
Re: Setting
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »
I think it makes sense...

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »
There is a river in the country of Rhudaur that serves as frontier to three regions: En-Egladil (The Angle); The Trollshaws; and Dyr Erib (The Lowlands). This river Mitheithel (Sindarin: Hoarwell) which the Hillmen call Pretty River used to divide in the west the lands of the Dúnedain and of the Hillmen tribes; afterwards the Dúnedain colonized the lowlands east of the Trollshaws running along a southern-northern line. The northern part of the Hoarwell is called the “Spear Line” because for each number of 5 miles, a Hillman spear nailed to the trunk of a tree indicates that in this point commence the lands of the Hillmen (Peace Treaty of Eastun TA 1298 and Fort Stanwick TA 1305). The forests of the Pinnath Tereg (Sindarin: Trollshaws) were forbidden to settlers but not to Dúnedain traders.

There are three tribes that make a triangle pointed northwards around the Fort Tirthon, the Siol Nunaw, westwards; the Ruenalla eastwards; and the Moic Finn, northwards. The Moic Finns that hailed from En-Egladil were forced to emigrate to the north by the Dunlending tribes coming from the south; the latter were then colonized by the Dúnedain and then the Northmen. They have fought at the side of the Angmareans against Rhudaurians in the last 50 years. The Ruenalla, allied with the Mac Tíre, were defeated by the Dunlendings in the SA and have mainained neutrality in the latter wars. And finally, the Siol Nunaw, that have become mixed with the Macha Mur and hold mixed settlements also fought in the side of the Angmareans.

The little stream that passes west of the fort Tirthon has at its source a stick topped with a skull; it serves of warning to the settlers to avoid passing nearby. And from this is derived the name of Fort Tirthon that the early Dúnedain built there: Tir which stands for Hillman: Skull and Thon: Fort; Tirthon: place of the skull. The stream holds the name of little Hoarwell.

News of this skull were given in TA 1355 by an Arthadan officer, Celedor de Blainville, commissioned by his chiefs to stick some standards with the flower of the lilly to assert the property of those lands to his country. Other news come from the explorer Christopher Gist, in TA 1359. In the rivulet Tirthon (near the fort) there is an island that the Siol Nunaw sold to an explorer Ebenezer Zane, for exchange of a few mantles and a barrel of rum. Later, the fort Tirthon was re-settled here in front of the island.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »
Gilothel learns from the Hillmen's religion that it has been tainted with Morgothian elements (Arawn, the God of Dead, aka The Dark One who demanded human sacrifices) and mitigated by contact with the Fey (Wood Elves) with their love of nature. Indeed the Hillmen are descended from the Dunlendings of the Stone Land (Sindarin: Gondor) who for long stood under the yoke of Sauron when he was Lord of the Rings.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Check this site; it has tons of great maps and game aids.

http://lindefirion.net/

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »
   Hi Fellows,

I'm in the process of developing more the setting and I have a question for you. What would you like more for a society, a medieval 14th century world with lots of knights, serfs and wild Hillmen; or a 19th century world where serfdom was long abolished and the Hilllmen integrated; knights were mainly honorary in a Parliamentary monarchy with the right to vote for men, and no arms allowed to be carried if not belonging to the military. That doesn't mean that there are no colonies with slavery.

Regards,
DW

Offline BaronGreystone

• Knight of the Round Table
  • <Haldan 'Hap' Tanner, Hobbit Bounder>
    • Baron @ Pen & Paper Games
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
A 19th century world? No, thanks.
<Haldan 'Hap' Tanner, Hobbit Bounder>

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
Not with technology, of course; more like the technology of the Roman empire.

My own preference would be for a medieval world, but I was interested in knowing your preferences.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:22:31 PM by Dalewarrior »

Offline Tancred

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
Oh, aye, I vote for 14th century please.

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »
Steampunk 4th age might be interesting ... The Orc Strike Back ... Fleeing tribes unearth the technology of the 1st Age in the ruins of Thangorodrim ... :)

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
Old Man you're playing again?

3 votes for the 14th century; 1 for the 19th century; let's see what the other players want...

Offline Old Man

• Viscount
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
I'm playing in the other games, yes. Just watching from afar here.

"Do what you know, yet know what you do."

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
You're always welcome...

Offline Gilothel

• Goblin
  • Viscount
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
14th century please.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
Only if SB, Enheduanna, and Caffeine vote for the 19th century we'll have a draw.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
Only if SB, Enheduanna, and Caffeine vote for the 19th century we'll have a draw.
Democracy? :rolleyes:

I'll vote for the 19th, but only to support the underdog.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
3-2; getting closer to a draw hey?

The 19th century setting would particularly differ from the 14th century one in that there would be no serfdom. Tolkien never speaks of serfs, though they appear in The Dark Mage of Rhudaur.

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
3-2; getting closer to a draw hey?

The 19th century setting would particularly differ from the 14th century one in that there would be no serfdom. Tolkien never speaks of serfs, though they appear in The Dark Mage of Rhudaur.
I'm envisioning an alternate future where Saruman brought the industrial revolution to Eriador.  Who needs child labor when you have hobbits?

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
I wonder if conditions for children were so bad in the Industrial Revolution, how  much harder would they have been in the Middle ages?

Offline Enheduanna

• Baronet
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
I wonder if conditions for children were so bad in the Industrial Revolution, how  much harder would they have been in the Middle ages?
Good question.  I guess there is only so much a human body can take before it gives up.

19th century writers wrote a lot about the plight of working children, but I've never read a medieval work that says anything about them.  At least in the 19th century people were concerned about it.

Offline Dalewarrior

• Earl
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »
Torvala votes for the 19th century.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk