Author Topic: The Hawk's scream  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
    • http://
The Hawk's scream
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:51:13 PM »
green privateers needed.
report to Sir Onthorp IV, Sub-Alpha Wing leader.

(For 3-6 lvl 1 characters)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 05:55:27 PM by Reclined2Ride »

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:17:17 PM »
One

The classified ad read “Seek Valorous Death!”  This bothered Jason a little bit.  Why would anyone name a world Valorous Death?  The note “green privateers needed” was also telling.  Green meant low pay, he was sure.  He wasn't really hard up for credits, but he was going to need a job eventually.  This might be a way to beef up his resume, so to speak.  He responded to the ad almost as a lark.

Still, a little casual research would not be out of line.  Bringing his Data Pad on line he did a search for both Sir Onthorp the IVth and the Valorous Death world.  Valorous Death was the first Tulgaran planet to be geared-up and the home of the Knights of the Hawk.  The Knights of the Hawk specialize in space combat.  The only thing on Sir Onthorp was a listing of decorated knights.

Later, Jason received the response to his inquiry.  It was a berth on a freighter and a room at the Valorous Death spaceport.  Now he is even more bothered, a little intrigued as well.  This certainly was not “All expenses paid!”  But paying for any transport at all?  He had worse rides in the Fleet.  So packing his gear he goes off to find out what may be seen.

[Scene: Traveling to Valorous Death on board the UniTran space freighter]
What can you do in a 6x6?  In the Fleet it meant the permanent ride home with 12 of your buddies silently floating in grey stasis boxes.  But here he had it all to himself with living breathing non-coms.  Jason found talking to civilians interesting at first, later it mostly seams like so much prattle. The crew of 10 is mostly nice and professional in their tasks.  Only the Technicians talk much, and they go on and on with quantum tricks and the latest sense game.  But with a lot of patience, Jason figures that he might just be able to claim a novice skill in keeping “the Bucket” running.  Part way through the trip a Kagoth passenger is picked up from the world of Purogoss.

[Scene: Arrival at the space station over Valorous Death waiting for a shuttle down to the surface]
The waiting area is sparse with a morass of activity.  Slowly speaking with some Oort technicians, Jason learns that a large civilian population is moving off planet.  Listening to the scattered conversations of the Tulgaran citizens, Jason gets the impression that they are worried about the approaching war and the sudden military gear up by the knights.

[Scene: Arrival at the spaceport on Valorous Death]
A small functionary is holding a sign reading “Seekers”.  Jason approaches and the Tulgar seams to recognize him.  The functionary hands an envelope with Jason’s name printed on it. Upon opening it, Jason finds a room pass key with a small blinking indicator “Your room, head straight” and instructions for the meeting with Sir, Onthorp.

[Scene: An evening on Valorous Death]
Jason is as close to the meeting area as possible. He was irritated that the meeting was inside a large military base.  The only access to the base is a mag-tube subway of all things.  And now Jason surveys the large empty square the tube exit spills onto.  There are Tulgar guards every ware, even some positioned on the base with mounted support weapons that obviously can train down into the square. The gates into the base are heavily guarded and every one allowed through goes through a rigors search procedure. Jason goes back to his room knowing any attempt to bring weapons will be fruitless.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 08:18:22 PM by Reclined2Ride »

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »
Two

The classified ad read “Seek Valorous Death!”  Imagining the plight of the Tulgar, as they have been hunted by the Empire, Rupert wonders how some of his fellow Kagoth could be involved in it.  And now the knights on Valorous Death are up to something, perhaps something desperate it seams.  With a heavy heart and a feeling of dread, he responds to the ad, hoping his skills might just save something.

[Scene: Traveling to Valorous Death on board the UniTran space freighter]
The UniTran space freighter arrives at Purogoss and Rupert gets on board.  The freighter is sparse and has a crew of 10.  His cabin is sparser still, and make for a nice place to relax.  The crew is made up of mostly Oorts and Humans with one very odd Valiesian.  Rupert gets along with everyone on board, the trip goes by pleasantly.

[Scene: Arrival at the spaceport on Valorous Death]
A small functionary is holding a sign reading “Seekers”.  Rupert approaches and the Tulgar seams to recognize him.  The functionary hands an envelope with Rupert’s name printed on it. Upon opening it, Rupert finds a room pass key with a small blinking indicator “Your room, head straight” and instructions for the meeting with Sir, Onthorp.

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:02:32 PM »
A meeting

Only a professional organization could achieve the sterility of this office.  The Knights of the Hawk obviously have taken blandness into an art form.  The only incongruent element is a young Tulgaran lass that is wearing a fancy soft blue dress and is sitting behind a silver cube in a corner.  She is busily doing nothing with the air of absolute involvement.  Jason and Rupert greet each other recognizing their shared ride to this unusual sate.  They share the only other sitting area, a form molded couch.  After some time a graying Tulgar wearing polished combat armor enters through the only other door into the room.  The young lass instantly snap into attention, this time actually looking rapt into to some work she just fond on her desk.  “Greetings Jason, Ruffrop” He says looking over the pair as they rise from the couch.  “Thank you for responding to our classified.  I hope the ride over was pleasant.”  He waits a bit and seeing the blank non-committal looks he continues.  “Very well then, we have called you here to form a new privateer group.  The empire has caught onto our groups and follows them as closely as they can.  The privateer life has become deadly for our groups.  We hope you will escape their notice.  As such, this will be your last direct meeting with us.  We will not be supporting your group in any direct fashion.” He pulls out several small disks and places them on the desk.  “These are standard military authorizations; they will allow you to purchase specialized gear.  You will notice they all have the same name, Robert Phoenix.  This is your contact name.  We will be sending instructions and news through your fences and contacts.”  He then pulls out a thick pad and places it on the desk.  “This is your Letter of Marquee and Reprisal.  You two will sign for your group.  You are free to add members as you see fit.  Make your presence here as secret as possible.  We have registered you for one month as supply contractors.  That should throw off the spies and allow you the make your contacts and find a space ship.  Once the month is up you will need to drop of the official networks and go underground.”  He pauses and seams to take stock of the situation.  “By Othgar, you will be a thorn in the Empires foot.  They are coming lads and they are coming hard.  We might not be in free space for very long.  You need to move as fast as you can, and get off planet soon.  So lads are you up to a life as a privateer?”

Offline kedrake

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 06:30:27 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE
So lads are you up to a life as a privateer?

Jason look to his companion and thought they made an unlikely pair to start a privateer group, but then again, that was probably the point.  His mind had already started a mental list of things they would need to do, stuff they would need to acquire...not the least of which was a ship... and a crew!

Jason also did not fail to recognize that this 'Tulgarian Knight' never once mentioned his own name, insulating himself from them already.

"I'm willing to give it a go, it should be apparent fairly quickly if we'll have any success or not."  He looked to his comrade, "That is if you agree as well Ruffrop?"  He tried, without quite suceeding, to not mangle the Kagoths name.
My goal in life is the be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 06:33:37 PM »
Rupert

"Um..yes" he says slowly with a slightly puzzled expression. (Which for a Kagoth appears to normal.)

"I am delighted to be of service to the ISC in whatever meagre capacity I can"

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 06:33:08 PM »
The older Tulgar looks around and says "Well, If you don't have any questions? Please sign here." He picks up the pad and places his eye upto a port in the pads back. A brief flash emits from the port, and he places the pad back on the desk. "Please verify your signature with your i`dent. And you are free to return to the space port or into the city. Thanks!" He holds out his hand.

Actions?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 06:34:36 PM by Reclined2Ride »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 12:04:39 AM »
Rupert

Still slightly bemused about getting a job that is...not exactly a job, takes the pad and verifies it. He then shakes the Tulgars hand, before stepping back...

He then looks over to his new found partner hoping that he has a better idea of what to do next than he does....

Offline kedrake

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 06:53:14 PM »
Jason

Jason takes the pad and signs.  He scoops up the authorization letter allowing the purchase of military supplies and the Letter of Marquis and Reprisal.  He spends a few moments looking at the now obviously empty desk, then looks up at the Tulgar.

"Um, I think we are going to need some seed money.  Being allowed to buy Military supplies is not quite the same as being ABLE to purchase military supplies.  We will need to hire a ship, at least at first, unless you want us to charge your accounts directly?"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:45:22 AM »
Rupert

Somewhat relieved that his partner has brought up the subject of funds, Rupert ponders a moment before he raises a paw...

"Hurrnnumm...I've got an idea.." although he says it somewhat hesitantly.

"Perhaps we could borrow an obsolete ship, only a lttle one mind, and deck it out like perhaps...a medical supply vessel.. and use it as legitimate cover" he looks over towards Jason hoping that he hasn't just made a really stupid suggestion.

Seeing the inital look of shock on Jasons face..he continues quickly.."Of course..we could always arm it and steal stuff as well"

He smiles the smile of a idiot savant.

Offline kedrake

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 04:59:33 PM »
Jason

"You know, that's a brilliant idea."  Jason agrees.  "A medical response vehical, carrying medical supplies...and maybe a few other supplies as well."

The ex-recon marine looks back to their Tulgar host.  "Do you have any contacts you could point us to for a medical ship of some kind?  Of course we would need some credits to supply it with medical supplies as well as arm it as a military ship..."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 05:07:58 PM »
Rupert

Shrugging he says "Awww..medical supplies" he looks down at his small meagre bag of medical supplies... "Now they WOULD prove useful..".

His mind drifts off for a moment to his home planet and the wonderful time he had testing the local herbal remedies found in the woods.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:10:19 PM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline Reclined2Ride

• Herald
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 06:06:49 PM »
"Ahh... yes. As I said, we can't directly support your group. I do like your idea of err medical supplies.  Check out a company called UMed. I believe that they are looking for err descrete contractors." He says with a big toothy grin.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 05:06:18 PM »
Rupert

"UMed ?" says Rupert whilst desparately trying to recall of such a company....

"If you do you really think that they would be interested in us then this might be a good way to get a cover story.."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Hawk's scream
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
Rupert

"So where do we need to go, to get in contact with this company ?" Rupert looks towards both the Tulgar and his companion for ideas...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk