Author Topic: Default Page Focus  (Read 1174 times)

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
Default Page Focus
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
Whenever I go into a thread, the default focus is always in the "Quick Reply" textbox.  This does get to be frustrating when I am searching for a previous post.

When I open a thread, then hit the "Home" key to get to the top of the page, it instead takes me to the bottom because the focus is in the "Quick Reply" textbox. 

I know in javascript one can set the focus using the focus method: <object>.focus().  Is there a similar method in SMF?

As said, this is only frustrating, nothing terrifying important, but it would be nice to open a thread, hit "Home", and actually go the top of page.

Yes, I know I can click the "Go Up" link, but it is much easier and quicker to open the page and hit "Home", than it is to wait for the page to open, find the link, then click it.

Thanks for your valuable time.

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • Grand High Lord Master of Grotty Detail
Re: Default Page Focus
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
What is the browser you are using?

I am using Firefox and by default it opens to the top of the thread.
"How do you hold on to an angel?"

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »
IE because it is the fastest browser on my two systems (Windows and a Linux/SGI).  On my Windows machine, IE is 1.5 to 2 times faster than FF.  Also FF's display capabilities are terrible.  I almost cannot read some webpages.  Also, IE's display ability is about 5 times easier on my eyes than FF.

And do not ask me why FF displays so crappy.  I truly do not know.  I do nothing except install them and test them.  As said, IE is always faster.  In fact, FF has been getting slower with each new version on my systems.

rmfr

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Hey, take it easy. I only needed to know your browser.  :lol:

Is there a default setting in IE that would pull up threads in the quick reply? That would be the first place I looked.

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Where would I look for that?  As said, I don't do anything to them except install and use them.  Any ideas?  My main focus anymore is being an enduser of GIS software.  I have been slowly losing my ability to dig into the guts of other software.

Thanks.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
Sorry.  Should have added that I do know how to add "Trusted Sites" under the Security? tab.  Other than that, I do not know.

rmfr

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
Are you using I.E. 8 or 7?

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 03:09:54 AM »
IE 9.

Also, it seems that it has to be something here.  The same thing does not happen at the ICE Forums.  Threads open there with the focus at the top of the page and not in the Quick Reply text box.

Here when I open a thread, there is a cursor blinking in the Quick Reply text box.  I think this means something is forcing the focus into that box.

As said, I don't know enough about settings in the browser or forum boards to know if it is something in the browser or in the forum board.

But if it was in the browser, would it not do so in other forum boards?  That use the same software?  Then again, I don't know the guts behind a forum board software to even know if that question is even legit.

Again, thanks for your valuable time.

rmfr

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:04:32 AM »
It depends on the forum software as well as the browser. Likely if it were setting on the software it would do it for any forum site. So it's probably an issue with how Simple Machines plays with IE9. When I get time I will look it up and see if it's a known issue.

Offline Moostik

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • In Grimla no one can hear you scream.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
I found it a bit frustrating too, at first. Then I realized the touching the scroll wheel slightly (scroll up half an inch) reveals the "Go Up" link next to the page selector at the bottom of the posts field.
GamesMaster of the Dakorian Campaign.

Battlemap

Offline Moostik

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • In Grimla no one can hear you scream.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
Also, tried google chrome? seems to work better with simple machines than any version of ie. I use miltiple machines and multiple browsers, don't remember the focus thing in chrome, but at least it's really fast on all my systems.
GamesMaster of the Dakorian Campaign.

Battlemap

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk