Poll

If you were in a game played in this setting, where would you want your character to be on the timeline?

Post-creation of !uxe, pre-war.
1 (10%)
Post-war, pre-fall.
0 (0%)
Post-fall, pre-glacial.
1 (10%)
Glacial period, "The Long Winter".
1 (10%)
Post-glacial.
7 (70%)
Other (Paradise Station post-launch, for example): Please specify below.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Timeline poll  (Read 1415 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
  • Nice lad, but a bit cup-and-plate in the head...
Timeline poll
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
This will help me figure out where I most need to have the details down pat, and where I "have a little wiggle room."
Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.
Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing.
   - Traditional physical spell components
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...
  - Traditional somatic spell components
Ooo Eee Ooo Aaa Aaa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang.
   - Traditional verbal spell components
Take the lime and the coconut, and drink them both together.
  - Traditional potion formula

Offline Just X

• War Lord
  • Viscount
Re: Timeline poll
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:27 AM »
I voted for the post glacial period, mostly becuase I figured it would provide the best testing ground for the magic system.  I also thought about the post war/pre fall period as it would allow for the greatest diversity of skills.  For the purposes of play testing I am content to play in any period you prefer.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »
Well I'll grant you that I need to thoroughly test the area where "psionics" is in the process of turning into "magic" before I attempt to run any public games in that section of the timeline... but really that's the point, if there's not enough interest in that area of the timeline to make up even half a party, I have plenty of time. That's the main purpose of the poll, to find out what areas need to be "polished to a decently high gloss" first.

The post glacial period will be the area with the fewest variables. All forms of mana and foci and all circles and spheres of magic will be available. That makes it a nice place just to familiarize myself with "classless levelless" characters better, and to test the one major change I'll probably put in, that being the ability for humans and human crosses to have multiple spells going simultaneously. Fewer variables make problems show up more clearly. That's also the area that is most my personal "comfort zone" (being pretty much standard fantasy setting), so once I "go public" I'll probably have a party run in that section of the timeline regardless of where else I run one, assuming I have that many players.

Anyway, send me a PM and we'll talk character concepts.

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
You seem to be aiming for a feel where the tech period is mythical, which would seem to say post glacial is the target.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
That's probably a result of post-glacial being "my comfort zone". Really I'm willing to run it anywhere, but pre-war and post-glacial are the spots where any houserules re: the transition from psi to magic have the least chance of affecting the game, so they are easiest.

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »
I said post-glacial as well.  We could do a second playtest (concurrent or not) in the post fall/pre glacial era as well.
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • "I'm a high priest Vatican assassin warlock!"
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »
I voted post fall, pre-glacial. Really it is a personal flavor right now for me, but in reality I think it would work to get your kinks out of the system. It will be by far the hardest area to work so therefore it might not be worth to play test, but it would probably set your table as to how your world works. That and you will probably get bogged down in the minutea of the system instead of playing.

But is that what you are trying to do?
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...  - Vizzini

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »
I voted post fall, pre-glacial. Really it is a personal flavor right now for me, but in reality I think it would work to get your kinks out of the system. It will be by far the hardest area to work so therefore it might not be worth to play test, but it would probably set your table as to how your world works. That and you will probably get bogged down in the minutea of the system instead of playing.

But is that what you are trying to do?

Well that's kinda the point of the playtest area, to have a group that can go into something doubtful, get bogged down in the minutae, brainstorm and argue until we figure out how to "unbog ourselves" and then keep going. How the houserules play out in that transitional period can affect everything else in the game, so I need to get it done.... but at the same time it's the last section of the timeline I expect to "go public" with. Does that make sense?

Also note that I added another result to the poll. I had forgotten about Paradise Station.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • "I'm a high priest Vatican assassin warlock!"
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
That makes perfect sense. And to be honest, when I saw that and voted for it, I was full on expecting to argue till I was blue in the face over certian things. But it was for hammering out the system for your game. That is what playtesting is all about. We could all play the setting you were comfortable in and it works great becaus eit was easy. Then you work it into another scenerio and you get killed.

As for the timline playing, I fully understand and would not begrudge you for skipping it right now.
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...  - Vizzini

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
Ultimately, test what you want.  I'm game whatever you diced.

You could even make it a special setting in which ALL rules are available to a player to test everything in one game.  Maybe on the long lost Paradise Station somehow all races and all magic abilities exist and everyone is working on getting Paradise Station back to Earth?
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  The life I live in this body I live by faith in Jesus Christ who loves me and gave himself up for me.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
To some extent I'll probably have to do just that in the playtest area. Create a "sub setting" where anything goes that's consistent with the current ruleset. If I don't do something of the sort, I have no real way to get a direct comparison of power balance between psionics, magic, and the various ways they can be blended.

This poll was, more than anything else, a way to find out where the interest lies in sort of "I want to play" terms, not just from the playtesters but from anyone interested enough to read this far. In terms of the blending of magic and psi, if I had everyone voting for "post-fall, pre-glacial" and "long winter" I'd feel like I need to get those transition rules hammered out right now. If everybody is voting for "post-glacial", while it's still urgent it's not as urgent. It'd be good to have it worked out before anyone goes dragon hunting, sure, but I can use the time while they're getting to that level to learn other things and thus better know what I'm looking at when I do get to the dragon.

Offline Moostik

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • In Grimla no one can hear you scream.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
Anytime from post-fall out would be great. I actually find the glacial period itself interesting. I voted Post-glacial however, for the availability of options. A campaign could take many directions here.
GamesMaster of the Dakorian Campaign.

Battlemap

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »
Fair warning, I personally think the timeline aspect (several "settings" all basically in the same place, separated solely by time interval) would probably work best if multiple GMs ran multiple games all using the same houserules. For example epohfossol running creation of !uxe up to Long Winter, Moostik running Long Winter, me running post-glacial and Maelstrom running Paradise Station and the scattered little colonies (Mars, Moon, etc.).

Keep in mind that's a hypothetical, not a threat.

:rolleyes:

What is a threat is that if you show too much enthusiasm I may try to recruit you.

:lol:

Offline Maelstrom

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
Considering how quickly IK is going I wouldn't be able to take on another game. :(

Offline Moostik

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
  • In Grimla no one can hear you scream.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
What is a threat is that if you show too much enthusiasm I may try to recruit you.

Fair enough. Until then, hold your horses. Entusiastic as I may be, I alas have not the time to show it much at the moment :huh:
GamesMaster of the Dakorian Campaign.

Battlemap

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Earl
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
Well if nothing else, at the very least I'll be holding my horses until this setting/game is almost ready to "go public". There's not a lot of point until then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk