Author Topic: Playtesters?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Blaquesmith

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • Get Karmic!
    • My DeviantArt Gallery
Playtesters?
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
Greetings,

I am putting together a scalable RPG system, that can be used in multi-background games, like those sci-fi & fantasy backgrounds from Final Fantasy computer and console RPGs. Monsters and Magic, High Technology, some heroes battling monsters with swords, some with guns, some spellcasters and a Robot.

The objective is to create a working system first, and then create a world. If the system works, I'll probably try to publish it in any print-by-demand site, such as Lulu.

The problem is, when i'm finished writing it, I'll need playtesters before publishing. And i don't know if someone here would be interested in doing such a thing.

(Another minor problem is that i'm writing it in spanish, so I'll have to translate it before playtesting...) >.<
Gamemaster of Old WoD. You want some? Click Here! ->The Turning Wheel of Ages<-
Recruiting for Buck Rogers in the XXV century: ->Click Here!<-
My DeviantART Picture Gallery
"Hello, my name is Íñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." -Íñigo Montoya.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
Re: Playtesters?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
looks like there are a few of us writing systems at the moment.

if you can find enough spanish speakers, why not play test it here in spanish, though you'll have to moderate as we wont know what's being said ;)

would be nice to see systems in as many different languages as possible.
Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline Blaquesmith

• GamesMasters
  • Get Karmic!
    • My DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »
I don't know how many spanish speakers are here, except for myself and Jojojopo (a guy from Argentina who is new to the forum).

Truth is, i began to write it in Catalan (my mother language), then shifted to spanish, and i'll probably translate to english too.

I had ideas for this system since many years ago (me and my friend Juan Antonio talked many hours about this). I had an epiphany recently, and began writing it before i forgot the good ideas. But we had already talked about many things concerning the rolls, system, and such.

We liked the idea of Final Fantasy games, where people had really weird weapons (some went bare-fisted, some with ridiculously huge weapons, another people carried guns, and others carried a vox amplifier...). Each of those people used their weapons with proficiency.

Then we were thinking about how in many games, there was a "weapon of choice" or two, and everyone carried those. In many fantasy games was the longsword, with a great damage but one-handed. No one carried short swords, unless they found a +N enchanted short sword. and absolutely no one carried a fencing sword in a world of fantasy. They were useless with most kinds of armor (in reality, a experienced swordsman can pick his fencing sword and stab the armor-clad knight in the eyeholes, in the armpits, or in the groin, but games are very little realistic with that kind of attack). The same went with daggers. In most games, a guy with a two handed sword cut the crap out of a guy with two daggers. Just because the two handed sword deals more damage. In many games, they overlook the fact that the daggers are much faster, and that the guy with the daggers can aim to the weak points of his enemy (eyes, neck, armpits, groin...)

So, the result of a combat is just a matter of skill, it's not about the weapon.

So the basic premise was that if a guy thinks that his character's weapon of choice will be a two-handed frying pan, he must be able to do so. And if he's specialized enough with that one weapon, he'll be able to deal the same damage than a guy with a two-handed sword, or a chainsaw. It's HOW you use the weapon what deals damage.

I think that, up to now, the system is quite strong. I have to fonish some touches, and we'll be able to start trying human characters, skills and melee combat. The next will be start introducing regular magic, spiritual and divine magic, psychic powers, quirks, merits and flaws, and we'll be finished.  :yes:

Then, i don't know if we should create a world or just publish the system.  :huh:
"Hello, my name is Íñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." -Íñigo Montoya.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
sometimes a system fixed to a world can be more popular.

for myself I am going to create the system, and then start fleshing out my world which has been a little neglected of late.

Offline Blaquesmith

• GamesMasters
  • Get Karmic!
    • My DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
Yes, I understand... but the general idea was that people could use the system to play in other popular fantasy worlds, so, i'm not sure about creating a world, races, and such things... Anyway, we thought to give people a choice of "quick starter packs", not unlike the character templates in old WEG Star Wars... You can build your character from scratch, or choose one quick template, assign just a few dices, and start playing in less than 10 minutes.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
that's sort of the line I'm taking, quick to start a game, that way the video age kids wont get board.

sometimes it's easier designing a system around a world as you can make the rules quite specific.

it is harder to go for a generic system, though that is the aim I have for my system.

let's see where it takes us. when we have a finished system we should see how similar or disimilar they end up.

Offline Blaquesmith

• GamesMasters
  • Get Karmic!
    • My DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Even if some concepts are similar, the final rules will probably look quite different  :rolleyes:

Or not?  :lol:

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
the reality is all systems have similarities, what a new rule set does it put a persons personality into those rules.

which is why I wont be play testing them till they are complete, for better or worse I'll rely on my instincts to make them work initially, then tweak them after a bit of testing, or scrap them if the testing goes badly.

as it stands character creation is nearly finished.

Offline Blaquesmith

• GamesMasters
  • Get Karmic!
    • My DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
I plan to do the testing to verify that what i already have written works good as expected. I've been doing intense probability math to try the scalability of the system and to assure that the players can't do absurd things (the open ended systems tend to have problems with that)...

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • Nice lad, but a bit cup-and-plate in the head...
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
the reality is all systems have similarities, what a new rule set does it put a persons personality into those rules.

Physics dictates that automobiles are all going to pretty much look like automobiles. In other words, there's an overall similarity imposed by similarity of objectives and limits.

But I don't think anyone will ever mistake an Edsel for a Ferrari.

::)

Good luck getting playtesting done though. It's necessary, it's worth the time and trouble... but sometimes it's a bear. So far as I can tell, the best playtesters (most intuitive, best brainstormers, best troubleshooters, etc.) are pretty much by definition the ones most likely to be called away by the pressures of RL. Be prepared to be very patient.

Competence has its price just like incompetence I guess...

:lol:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:20:15 PM by GrumpyOldFart »
Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.
Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing.
   - Traditional physical spell components
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...
  - Traditional somatic spell components
Ooo Eee Ooo Aaa Aaa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang.
   - Traditional verbal spell components
Take the lime and the coconut, and drink them both together.
  - Traditional potion formula

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk