Author Topic: A Drop in the Ocean  (Read 56085 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ttsgosadow

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 709
    • http://www.ttsgosadow.nl
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2005, 10:08:41 AM »
Dr. Keene: "Hmm, that doesn't sound like an ape-creature. More human, this sobbing. I think we should check it out."

Dr. Keene prepares his gun and takes a few carefull steps in the right direction, hoping the others will follow him.
[!--QuoteBegin--][/div][table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'][tr][td]QUOTE [/td][/tr][tr][td id=\'QUOTE\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]inside you find a collection of milkmen all drinking coffee[/quote]
EvilSanta @ Sep 28 2005, 11:11 PM

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »
James:

The injured bodyguard winces as he gets up but back up the doctor's play.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2005, 02:52:51 PM »
As Dr.Keene and James head through the trash which apparently formed the creatures nests..someone treads on something in the darkness.... there is a loud *SNAP*....and all noise ceases from behind the door.

All four party members wince and ready their weapons (some noticeably faster than others...)

As the torch lights stop flashing around, Suzanne calls out.

"IS ANYBODY THERE?"

There is the sound of a sharp intake of breath...from the other side of the right door.

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2005, 07:01:06 PM »
James keeps half an eye on what happens with the door but is mainly alert for any other threats from elsewhere.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2005, 08:30:45 AM »
A few seconds pass...then a timid and obviously scared female voice can be heard from the other side of the door.

"Hello?"

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:20 PM »
"Hello?"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:54 AM »
There is a slight hesitancy in the voice that replies...

"Thank god...you're human?" the voice says accompanied with some shuffling movement from behind the door.

"Who are you?...are you a rescue party from Anasi?"

(OOC. You are... ;) )

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »
(ooc: thanks)

<looks at the rest of the party with a grin>

"We're your regular knights in shining armour!"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2005, 10:29:50 AM »
Suzanne shoots James a sideways glance..it is slightly stern as if perhaps this had been the wrong thing to say.

"Yes, we are from Anasi....I am Suzanne Wrightsmith...and you are?"

A moments pause..."Uh..hello Suzanne, I'm Susan...Susan Cracken" says the voice rather nervously...obviously relieved but on the point of tears.

Suzannes previously stern expression softens slightly, she turns and nodds to the rest of you signifying an OK with her free hand.

"are you injured? Can you get out of there? It's quite safe out here we've either killed them all or they have fled.." says Suzanne approaching the door and speaking softly.

Dr Keene and Caio remain on guard. Neither can see or hear anything outside.

There is the sound of a door unlocking and the door opens outward slightly before becoming stuck against some overturned boxes and crates.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 09:12:54 AM »
Suzzanne looks over at Dr Keene.. "Would you mind helping clearing some of the debris from in frount of the door...so she can get out?".

She then turns to the door..."It's okay, wait a second.."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
Dr Keene moves forward and clears a couple of crates aways from the door, meanwhile Suzanne stands pistol drawn waiting....

"Ok, its clear now..." says Dr Keene, who backs off carefully away.

The door slowly opens and a deshrevelled feamle emerges, blinking, into the glare from the torches that are pointed her way..she sheilds her eyes, it is clear that she has been trapped for some while, her clothes and hair are dirty, her face is too but sowing tear tracks through the grime... she isn't armed so Suzanne relaxes slightly.

The woman, who called herself Susan Cracken, is in her late twenties, perhaps early thirties.

"Thank god...I...I...didn't think anybody was coming...not since the attack.." she stopps and looks around a bit more now her eyes begin to adjust to the lights.

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »
The bodyguard squares his shoulders and smiles reassuringly at the new arrival.

"Howdy, Miss.  Once you get your breath back, how about filling us in on whats been going on.  Firstly, is there anything we need to worry about apart from there monkeys"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2005, 05:26:52 PM »
"Well, I'm not sure exactly what happened...it was about a week ago, we'd set the place up and...hey, have you got any I.D ?" she says realising that she was blurting out to a complete stranger. "I know you said you were from Anasi..can you prove it?"

She starts to look a bit more weary and backs away a little.

Suzzanne produces her I.D. and tosses it to the woman.

"That should be enough for me to prove that I am from Anasi...Dr Keene here.." she says indicating Dr.Keene, who looks up after checking some of the storage boxes and waves. "....is also an employee but James is only on contract while Caio over there is a GEO Observer".

Caio looks away from staring out from the gap to indicate that he had heard.

"Your boss, and mine.. is Paull Hendricks, we were sent to check up on you after we stopped getting any progress reports".

Suzanne closes her eyes for a moment.. "Ah, yes Susan Cracken...a communications technician..yes?" she waits for an answer.

The woman nods her head.

"Well..there were meant to be six of you..where are the rest?" says Suzanne.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
The young woman sits down on one of the crates.

"Well. We got here after being dropped off, unloaded the equipment and set the shell-formers* running. Harry and Bill got everything set up, took us about three days in all from arrival before starting work. During this time everything was going to plan, Percy, our Team leader and Barbara his assitant immediately starting collecting core samples out in the field, whist Tom and I set up the jammer and initialised the analysis equipment..." she says in a measured tone.

"As I said everything was going to plan, we hadn't been detected, so far as we knew and were maintaining a low profile..no transmissions of any kind..just as we were told..." her voice begins to crack..

"Then two days later..." and she bursts into tears.


(OOC. *shellformers are pre-programmed auto-assembly buildings..what the whole place appears to be made of...)

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »
"C'mon lady.  Tears aren't going to keep us alive."

James growls harshly, wincing as the effort pulls at his stomach muscles.

"Get the story over with and we can all put our minds to keeping out of further trouble".
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2005, 10:11:12 AM »
Suzzanne shoots James an angry look.. she turns to Dr. Keene.

"Dr.Keene, could you see, again, to Mr Carpenters wounds"..she says will little emotion.."...they appear to be making him a bit...cranky" she says, turning to face James with a brief flash of a smile.  She then turns back towards Susan, who somewhat shocked by Jame's outburst has, indeed, stopped crying.

*sob* "..Well, it was early evening... I was going to prepare the evening meal and was about to fetch what I needed from the stores.." she stops to indicate the door which she had just come through. Opened boxes and crates can be seen scattered around within the area.

"Percy, Harry and Bill were out doing a survey and had said they would be back in 15 minutes, and to tell me to get the chow on..." she says, still upset but with a slight smile.

"Barbera was doing some research in the lab, Tom was servicing one of the hovercraft outside. It was then I heard a noise, like a hot knife being quenched in water and the smoke alarm went off in the lab. I went to see what was wrong, but forgot that I didn't have access so I went to warn Tom instead but as I was about to leave I heard some energy discharges which I thought were from the lab. Then I heard Toms voice, then the hovercarfts engines,, then more firing then silence. I got outside, couldn't see Tom, but then heard some more firing...I went back inside and hid in there" again points to the cupboard.

"It was quiet for a while then the cutting sound happened again, though this time much closer...I guess who or whatever it was came through there..."

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2005, 08:39:05 PM »
James maitains a poker face and keeps watching and listening to the rest of the monologue.  He grunts slightly as Dr Keene paws at the bandages and whispers:

"Hey, do you believe this.  Sounds like we signed up for a little more than we bargained for."
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2005, 09:43:10 AM »
Dr Keene finishes readjusting the bandages and dressings as the young woman relates her tale. He looks up and whispers back..

"She seems fairly genuine..but yes.. the situation does seem a bit odd..we don't know an awful lot about why they were here..." he shrugs.

Suzanne speaks.. "Well, Susan..you have confirmed that everybody I know about was here..have you heard anything since this attack?"

"I had been hiding out a few minutes though it felt like hours...I thought I heard some movement outside..voices I didn't recognise them so I kept quiet. I don't think they came in here though....I listened for ages and couldn't hear anything. Later that night, I think that they...." she stops to point at the dead creatures "..must have arrived, since I must of drifted off to sleep only to wake up with a lot of scratching and snarling from in here..."

Offline Gribble

  • Baron
  • **
  • Posts: 2165
  • Easy Tiger
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
The bodyguard buts in with a pertinent question.

"Lady, these voices - what language were they using and did they sound human or local?"
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Moderator
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
A Drop in the Ocean
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »
"Well, I think they may have been natives...but...but..I can't be sure.." he says without much conviction in her voice. "Whoever they were, I'm fairly certain they didn't come in here.."

Suzzane interupts.  "They? How many do you think?"

Susan replies.. "Oh..two three perhaps...not many...I don't know but they seemed annoyed at something...but I couldn't make enough to tell at what."

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk