Author Topic: Toon?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline ttsgosadow

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
    • http://www.ttsgosadow.nl
Toon?
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:55:46 AM »
I have looked at the active Toon game, and it looked like a lot of fun! But, I have never heard about the system and online there isnt a decent description (been out of print for a while too). Could someone tell me in short what the game is about?

Thanks in advance  :rolleyes:
[!--QuoteBegin--][/div][table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'][tr][td]QUOTE [/td][/tr][tr][td id=\'QUOTE\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]inside you find a collection of milkmen all drinking coffee[/quote]
EvilSanta @ Sep 28 2005, 11:11 PM

Offline ttsgosadow

• GamesMasters
Toon?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:58:03 AM »
[!--QuoteBegin--][/div][table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'][tr][td]QUOTE [/td][/tr][tr][td id=\'QUOTE\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]inside you find a collection of milkmen all drinking coffee[/quote]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Toon?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 07:02:54 PM »
Toon is without a doubt the hardest RPG to referee well. (you might think its easier to REF when you are all drunk...but believe me it's not.  :blink: as I've tried).

Despite Sorloc's superlative efforts it doesn't really translate well as a PBP and thus loses a lot of its appeal, I think a chat game would probably be the next best thing to a FTF game.... where quick actions, quips and quotes tend to come hard and fast...

It is immensely hard to referee well, the concetration levels required are far higher than a normal FTF game...simply because of the need to be humourous and react to the players individual actions at all times.

The trouble is that humerous spontanteonaety is hard to achieve (let alone spell) at the best of times, let alone constantly.

If you want a funny FTF game that WOULD translate well to PBP, then you need to look at OG, Parinioa, Tales of the Floating Vagabond, Murphy's World, ORK! and other such RPG's that are humerous but less GM intensive.

(Incidently OG is one of the few games that improves with diminshing sobriety!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 07:05:33 PM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline LadyCatreece

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • Working....
Toon?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 07:10:04 PM »
GB, what is this "OG" you speak of?

and I agree, Sorloc has been trying hard, but this is one of those games that just isn't the same on PBP.

But OG....

what is that? Tell all! Is it fun? Is it funny? We can get drunk too? I wanna be funny and get drunk! Oh, run it, GB!!   :D
Nya!

Offline ttsgosadow

• GamesMasters
Toon?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:10:45 PM »
I think paranoia is cool to run PBP :)

Offline LadyCatreece

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • Working....
Toon?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:13:28 PM »
Oh, Paranoia!!  We need that on the site!!

TTS, will you run that?  Please??  :)
Nya!

Offline ttsgosadow

• GamesMasters
Toon?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »
Hehe, I will think about it :)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Toon?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 07:55:55 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(LadyCatreece @ Jun 23 2005, 07:10 PM)
But OG....

what is that? Tell all! Is it fun? Is it funny? We can get drunk too? I wanna be funny and get drunk! Oh, run it, GB!!   :D
OG is an amazingly simple game. It is a caveman role-playing game...you know an un-realistic one with dinosaurs and stuff.

The BEST thing about it is that your characters have VERY limited vocabulries (as I remember about 20 words...)...although they advertised an expansion set with the phrase "FOUR NEW WORDS".

Each player had controll of one cave-man. There were "classes" of caveman such as STRONG, FAST, TOUGH, SMART etc who each had one (or two) special abilities.

(It played much like a party game where you had to get people to say a word without mentioning one of the words on the card....except 99.99999% of the english language was on the card!)

Me run it...? :unsure: Probably Not  :(

Offline ttsgosadow

• GamesMasters
Toon?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(LadyCatreece @ Jun 23 2005, 07:13 PM)
Oh, Paranoia!!  We need that on the site!!

TTS, will you run that?  Please??  :)
Its up and open for all comers.

Offline Ironmaul

• Grey Council
  • Baron
Toon?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 07:19:55 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE(Grinnen Baeritt @ Jun 23 2005, 07:02 PM)
Toon is without a doubt the hardest RPG to referee well. (you might think its easier to REF when you are all drunk...but believe me it's not.  :blink: as I've tried).

Despite Sorloc's superlative efforts it doesn't really translate well as a PBP and thus loses a lot of its appeal, I think a chat game would probably be the next best thing to a FTF game.... where quick actions, quips and quotes tend to come hard and fast...

It is immensely hard to referee well, the concetration levels required are far higher than a normal FTF game...simply because of the need to be humourous and react to the players individual actions at all times.

The trouble is that humerous spontanteonaety is hard to achieve (let alone spell) at the best of times, let alone constantly.

Should I assume that the Toon game will fade out in the future?

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Toon?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »
OH NO! (I've still got cream pies to throw!)  :P

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Toon?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 01:32:05 PM »
My episode will be coming to a conclusion shortly, but I am hopeful that someone else will choose to take up the reins and Animate another episode.  I've never really been a very good TOON Animator, but I've tried my best.  I only did it because there was interest, and because there were only 5 games running at the time, and 4 of them were HARP fantasy.
Please don't read anything into that; all I am saying is that, at the time, more games were needed, and I agreed to run one.
I do wish the game could have worked out to be... well, more funny, I guess, but I do want to make absoloutely clear that it is entirely my fault if it's not.  TOON and Supers are just two genres that are not my strong suit to run, and never have been.  I can PLAY in them fine, but running them...  

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Toon?
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 02:21:45 PM »
There are some funny moments...and you have done a very good job, please don't put yourself down.  :(

As I said, a comedy RPG has a VERY high expecation rate that funny things will happen (unlike humourous situations in other RPG's, that just happen accidently).

A lot of the game is setting, and that was vague enough to be perfect. It is just too difficult to get the pacing right...hence my comment Re: Chat games.

As with super-hero games there are a few other games that require this sort of pacing Feng Shui, Buffy the Vampire Slayer ..or Castle Falkenstien for example where the action is meant to be fast, the scene discriptions loose and the dialogue witty.

(I have myself been trying very hard to like superhero games from when I first started...but never to seem enjoy playing them...)

Offline Ironmaul

• Grey Council
  • Baron
Toon?
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 04:44:22 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE
I do wish the game could have worked out to be... well, more funny, I guess, but I do want to make absoloutely clear that it is entirely my fault if it's not.
I wouldn't say that, Like GB said there was some funny moments. For me it was the first PbP game that I had participated in and was really just seeing if PbP was for me.

Quote from: QUOTE
OH NO! (I've still got cream pies to throw!)   :P
Mmmmm....cream...pies... :D

Offline Gonzomike

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Quest
Toon?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 04:47:06 PM »
I loved toon when we played it long ago.Now heroes,someone needs to run a Dark Champions game,the street level heroes.I would love to play that again.
Do not mess with Rangers for you are leaky and easily pierced.
'Close' only counts with horseshoes,hand grenades and tactical nuclear weapons.
It hurts to admit when you make mistakes-but when they're big enough,the pain only lasts a second.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk