Author Topic: Blood and Sand - Character Development - Epohfossol  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
Blood and Sand - Character Development - Epohfossol
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:17 AM »
Please develop and post your character in this thread.
One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • "I'm a high priest Vatican assassin warlock!"
Re: Blood and Sand - Character Development - Epohfossol
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
I am still interested in playing out an assissan. How does that float with you?
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...  - Vizzini

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
That will be fine. I'd be nervous for someone I was not familiar with, but you have a significant "body of work" and i think it could work out nicely.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »
Let's see where it goes then.... Shall we?  :yes:

Should we talk backstory before trying to develop the character points and whatnot?
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...  - Vizzini

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »
So I was figuring an assasian trained by a brotherhood working for the good of a diety. Sort of the enforcement arm of the priests. Something you can work with?

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »
It sounds like you want to be a Tear of Ceesk. Agent and troubleshooter, keeper of secrets and master of the silent path? Very hush hush and much preferring subtlety.
For example, stealing the messenger's shoes and treating the local cobbler to round after round of drinks at the inn causes enough of a delay that by the time the message is delivered, it is no longer useful. The messenger is alive, the message is intact, but the usefulness of the message was destroyed.

How does your character feel about the accumulation of vast personal wealth and arranged marriages ?

You might want to get yourself some Status and you almost definitely will want to get at least 20 Allegiance ( Ceesk ). Allegiance will not allow you to cast spells, but it will set you on the proper path, I think.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:59:17 AM »
It sounds like you want to be a Tear of Ceesk. Agent and troubleshooter, keeper of secrets and master of the silent path? Very hush hush and much preferring subtlety.
For example, stealing the messenger's shoes and treating the local cobbler to round after round of drinks at the inn causes enough of a delay that by the time the message is delivered, it is no longer useful. The messenger is alive, the message is intact, but the usefulness of the message was destroyed.

How does your character feel about the accumulation of vast personal wealth and arranged marriages ?

You might want to get yourself some Status and you almost definitely will want to get at least 20 Allegiance ( Ceesk ). Allegiance will not allow you to cast spells, but it will set you on the proper path, I think.

Sounds interesting.

My character has no problem with wealth and as long as the arranged marriages are multiples, sign him up! hehe  :rolleyes:

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
So what skills would I need for this. This way I can start on something for us to take a look at.

Offline Harwel

• Banner Bearer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »
So what skills would I need for this. This way I can start on something for us to take a look at.

Fast Talk and/or Persuade - for BSing people or having them come around to your point of view, respectively
Insight - to avoid being BS'd yourself.
Stealth & Hide - obvious
Sleight of Hand - removing and planting items from/to people
A weapon skill - for when things don't go as planned
Fine Manipulation? - locks and traps
Disguise?
Spot/Listen/Sense?
Literacy? - for passing communications
Second Language? - for passing yourself off and info gathering

Those are generic "agent" type skills.  I don't think I missed much.  Noir is also recommending maybe some Status and Allegiance for a Tear of Ceesk but yiou saw that already.  

The "Spy" profession in the BRP core book has the following skills (pruned for low-tech):

Skills: Dodge, Fast Talk, Hide, Listen, Research, Spot, Stealth,

and three of the following, as appropriate to setting: Brawl, Disguise, Etiquette, Weapon (any), Grapple, Knowledge (any), Language (Other), Language (Own), Martial Arts, Navigate, Pilot (any), Psychology (sub Insight in low-tech?), Ride, Swim, Throw, or Track.

Assassin has these skills (again trimmed for low-tech):

Dodge, Hide, Listen, Spot, Stealth

and five of the following as appropriate to setting: Brawl, Disguise, Drive, Grapple, Fine Manipulation, Martial Arts, Melee Weapon (any), Missile Weapon (any), Ride, Throw, Track.

Not sure if Martial Arts are appropriate to the setting.  Perhaps Noir and you could work together to make a separate unique profession for "Tear of Ceesk" with those as guidelines, or maybe he will let you freeform 8-10 profession skills?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:14:02 AM by Harwel »

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:01 AM »
Assasin and Spy are both listed in the professions post in this thread - http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=4656.0

I really need to do something about getting that thread better organized, but have a full weekend ahead.

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »
OK,

1. You will need to decide how you will want your stats distributed. They effect various bonuses in fairly straightforward ways - for example if you are big and strong you do more damage but being big has a downside in that people notice you more easily ( stealth reduction ).

2. The Assassin has the following skills ( this is a cut and paste from the original post ) :
Assassin : Dodge, Hide, Listen, Spot, Stealth ; 5 of the following - Brawl, Disguise , Grapple , Fine Manipulation , Ride , Throw , Track , Melee Weapon , Missile Weapon , Melee Weapon , Missile Weapon

So you take your main points pools ( professional ) and apply them to the above.

3. Then you get to customize a bit. You have an optional points pool of 100 points. Perhaps you want to be a Tear of Ceesk, then you will need 20 points into Allegiance (Ceesk ) to help represent that comittment. Perhaps you want to be able to talk your way out of ( and into ) trouble - then you might consider fast talk, persuade, insight etc.
Literacy and ettiquette might be your cup of tea for moving and shaking in the highest circles.

You can make an assassin who is a thug who jumps people in the streets and basically duels them to death. I would take dodge and at least one weapon skill at 50+ , but after that it gets down to what flavor you want to inject into your character.

Here is one possible option for points assignment:

Weapon attack ( 45 )
Weapon parry ( 25 )
Dodge ( 50 )
Listen ( 45 )
Spot ( 45 )
Hide ( 45 )
Stealth ( 45 )
-
Allegiance ( 20 )
Fast Talk ( 40 )
Persuade ( 40 )

Don't take the above as gospel, there are a lot of options!

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »
The sheet you put there doesn't have weapon attack or parry. Do I just make it that way. I also see the sheet listing prof and personal points. Do I use those? And Alliegence is not listed there. I also see personality on there and a drop down window. Do I leave that blank and work from there?

Go lots of questions.....Sorry.

Offline Harwel

• Banner Bearer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
The sheet you put there doesn't have weapon attack or parry. Do I just make it that way.

You need to specify a weapon that you have the skill in. Splitting attacking and parrying into two skills is an optional rule, which I guess Noir will be using? He'll have to confirm.

I also see the sheet listing prof and personal points. Do I use those?

Professional points can be spent on skills that your profession has access to.  Personal points cab be spent anywhere.

And Alliegence is not listed there.

Write it in.  Most characters don't have it even in a game that uses it (it's another optional rule), so I guess it was left off the sheet.

I also see personality on there and a drop down window. Do I leave that blank and work from there?

Another optional rule, Noir hasn't mentioned using it, leave it.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
Thanks Harwel. That explains the basic blunt of it. I can now work on it.

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
Take a look and tell me what you think

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
I think 32 years of age is a bit old, but fine if that was your intent?

Looks like you spent 325 points of professional skills? Did I miscount there?

Using attack and parry as seperate skills was my intent. Dodge is actually much better in most cases, I wonder if that is why the designers conceived of weapon skill covering attack and parry together. Will research it a bit.

So now we are learnign more about your character, who can hold his own in a scrap and is a smooth operator to boot.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:34:18 PM by Noir »

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
You did not miscount Mr Panda. I must have went with that silly sheet quote again....  :rolleyes:

I can get it down to where it needs to be. As for the age, Let me know where you want it and I can put it there. I figured someone who was smart enough to become the hand of the Tear of Ceesk (sp?) would need to be older.

As for my character, if you want him a bit more raw and green then let me know. I think that someone who needs to worm his way around society would need to be one smooth individual, but handle himself if need be. I am thinking Jules from Pulp Fiction or even Han Solo if you catch my drift. But with a more focused point of right and wrong (from his standpoint at least....)

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »
How would you like me to go about backstory? Is there a bit more that I should know about the world, class, profession before I move into fleshing out a character?

And I think I will move him down from 32 to 27. I know it is not that much lower, but I think might be a bit in the range you ar elooking for. Or would you want me to go lower?

Offline Noir

• Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
I think 27 is great.

I am in RL work hades atm, but anticipating the sweet release from my cage in a few days.

I think you sound like a person who goes places and does stuff, yes? You could be a local guy or from as far away as Faydon Fae. Discression is certainly important to you and to those who "handle" you. Good covers might be a travelling treasure hunter ( could be called a grave robber by some ), or perhaps a merchant purveyor of fine spices or something else small and portable ( could be called a smuggler by some ).

Han Solo, Jules, or even Rhett Butler - all good comparisons, yes ?

Tell me a bit more about what you want and then starting this weekend I will start the getting started. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk