HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 02:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 344226
  • Total Topics: 7395
  • Online Today: 41
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Hmmm, are there any GURPS players here?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Snargash Moonclaw

• Banner Bearer
Hmmm, are there any GURPS players here?
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
Just checking out the site for the first time and seeing no indication of other GURPS players in the mix. . .

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
Re: Hmmm, are there any GURPS players here?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:09:53 PM »
Welcome to the board.

I have not seen a GURPS game played in a while. . .But I bet there are GURPS players here. . .

I can at least confirm there are some people who own GURPS here:
http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=3691.0

Seems like fallow, untouched, fertile ground to plant a seed. . .now all we need is a willing GM. . .

I wonder if an "I want to play a GURPS game" post on the "I want to play" thread would get the ball moving:
http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=2478.0
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
It's on the shelf...

GURPS rulebook doesn't get as much use as the GURPS supplements around my place; the supplements are top-notch, the system, while certainly better than most, I just have others I prefer.

That's from a GM standpoint, of course.  As a player, I wouldn't turn down a GURPS game just because it was GURPS.  Thing is, just saying it's a GURPS game isn't as illuminating as saying it's an L5R or Ars Magica game.  With those, you kind of know what to expect; with GURPS, it could be anything.

I'd be willing to bet that there are more than 20 people here who have played GURPS, and more than 6 who have GM'd GURPS (I'm in both categories, so that's 1 and 1 =)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:45:04 PM by Sorloc »

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • How do you like your blueeyed boy Mr. Death?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
GM'd  GURPS Horseclans and Gurps Supers WildCards.
"How do you hold on to an angel?"

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline ob1knorrb

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
    • ICE RPG Webring
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »
I've never actually played GURPS although I've got about 100 GURPS books.  They make great supplements, I steal material out of them for other game systems all the time.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • Nice lad, but a bit cup-and-plate in the head...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:25:45 AM »
Never played it, and have been told I should for years and years. Just never really got the opportunity.
Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.
Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing.
   - Traditional physical spell components
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...
  - Traditional somatic spell components
Ooo Eee Ooo Aaa Aaa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang.
   - Traditional verbal spell components
Take the lime and the coconut, and drink them both together.
  - Traditional potion formula

• Banner Bearer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:36 AM »
Well, I thought I'd check out the site from RPG Gateway. I haven't given any thought to PbP, but since I tend to be online at work a lot with plenty of posting time it would actually be a pretty reasonable approach for me.I'm currently converting my homebrew fantasy setting over to GURPS, I was originally gaming it under D&D 3.5 and not really satisfied. I still need to create racial templates and clarify magic usage, etc. in light of the overabundance of options. My current plans are to run table top starting in May with a possible VTT game online using MapTools, depending on online interest in playing the setting, which can be explored here (click the wiki tab on this setting homepage). I primarily hang out in the Campaign Builders Guild (best hombrew creation site there is), but can also be found on the other two Fantasium Alliance sites as well and occasionally on Four Ugly Monsters (kind of like here but focused on VTT instead of PbP).

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:19:09 AM »
Funny, another new member, Werd brought up VTT just a week ago or so.

You'll likely have more responses, if you post a recruit into the Recruiting board.

• Banner Bearer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
Still really determining whether I want to do a PbP game, never having done one (played one briefly, D&D 3.5, only a couple of people and it was lagging badly). Can you suggest a good one to look over (system irrelevant) to see how they flow, how on-line tools are used and work? If I decide to go that route I'll definitely post into recruiting - the setting link was in my previous post primarily for the sake of reference.

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
There's a lot of experience on this board, to offer advice or suggestions. . .only thing is, like any group of scores or hundreds of experts. . . .you'll get differing opinions.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »
I concur with Sorloc, I have a considerable amount of the supplements, mostly unused apart from research. I have run games of Diskword, Swashbuckers and Humanx, played Fantasy, Traveller, World War II and Goblins.

Offline Noir

• GamesMasters
  • Baronet
  • Skadoosh!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
Gurps is really a good good game. It is kind of a pain to GM but , eh. Love the balanced approach to character creation.

I dream of the day that someone comes out with GURPS RuneQuest. Think Ironclaw RQ and Aftermath RQ are very viable also, depending on what flavor , spice, and texture you seek.

Yeah, love to steal from the supplements also. Swashbucklers! It killed me to watch that Flashing Blades game go by, dangit.

One side note that you may find as an advantage or a disadvantage. PbP is a little slower pace than VTT, obviously, but you will find an "older-than-average" crowd here, who is for the most part more patient. Great folks here, set a spell, you just might like it. 
One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it.

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
Still really determining whether I want to do a PbP game, never having done one (played one briefly, D&D 3.5, only a couple of people and it was lagging badly). Can you suggest a good one to look over (system irrelevant) to see how they flow, how on-line tools are used and work? If I decide to go that route I'll definitely post into recruiting - the setting link was in my previous post primarily for the sake of reference.

There's some variety in how various games are run, also.
The firefly game by Samwise7 has been really fun to read, I think.  He's got some players who aren't afraid to just run with the ball!

I'm also enjoying LadyCatreece's False Flags game. 
They are different in that in the False Flags game, one of the benefits of pbp over anything else is utilized - being able to run multiple players in their own individual stories, without significantly impacting the others.  If they're together, great!  If not, if one goes outside while the others are inside, then split them off into their own thread for a few posts till they go back in (assuming something's going on out there).

The biggest thing going right now is Croaker Dogboy's Aftermath game

There's a lot of stuff going on, that's for sure, and there's a variety of systems, genres, settings, and play styles.

Don't be afraid of asking questions, either - you'll find lots of friendly, helpful people here to help you find what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:38:10 PM by Sorloc »

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline gherardo

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
    • ROLEPLAYBLOG
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I've just bought the two 4E manuals and prepared a PC.
Even if it isn't as complex as I thought, I'm still reading the rules.
It seems that the combat is really dangerous and realistic... really intriguing!
If someone starts a game, I would jump in!

I jumped in the river and what did I see? / black-eyed angels swimming with me / a moon full of stars and astral cars / all the figures I used to see / all my lovers were there with me / all my past and futures / and we all went to heaven in a little row boat / there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt / there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt / there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt / there was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt...

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
and we have a GURPS recruiting thread up now:

http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=3894.0

Offline Ranger

• GamesMasters
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »

I never fancied GURPS but before I got sick I found the WWII suppliments for the system and I ran a GURPS wierd WWII game for awhile. I liked the potentials but it is hard to find folks who likekd the idea.  But I must say that with so many suppliments it is excellent research material.

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • How do you like your blueeyed boy Mr. Death?
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:52 AM »
I was interested in getting those supplements. I would be interested in playing weird WWII.
"How do you hold on to an angel?"

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »
I like the idea of a classless system, but a quick overview of GURPS suggests that it would be too simplistic, to "approximate" for my personal tastes.

Offline Ranger

• GamesMasters
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

As a game system that can be used for any genre, era of play ect.. GURPS does a pretty good job, I would have to agree that the earlier editions were very generalistic in character ability, but 4th edition it seems to be a bit 'tighter' fit with the generally 'improved' character creation rules over the third edition.

I prefer game systems that are skill based rather than level based.  Classes don't bother me that much since even in real life prople seem to compartment themselves into general lines of work.  So in RPG's classes help to direct the rest of the process, as long as skill/talent/whatever the game system calls it are available. 

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »
The reason classes bother me are twofold:

1) A modern rifleman is a fighter, as is a 15th century grenadier, as is a 6th century swordsman. The subsidiary skills that support the main focus of their job are entirely different, but skill costs based on class don't address that. In other words, character classes don't allow for those archetypes "drifting" over time due to cultural changes or new technology. In the case of political revolution or introduction of paradigm-shifting technology (gunpowder, steam, etc.) that drift can be quite sudden, but a GM has no real means to incorporate that into his "universe model".

2) A "fighter" is assumed to be better at physical skills than a "magician". To be fair, there is a reasonable amount of logical basis for this. But the net result is that a "fighter" living in the Gobi desert is going to be able to learn swimming more easily than a "magician" living in Hawaii. Skill archetypes "drift" with location as well, but again character archetypes don't address this.

Advertisement