HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2018, 08:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 340567
  • Total Topics: 7343
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 10
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: ’ello  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Jegergryte

• Messenger
’ello
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
So, this is supposed to be an introduction or presentation of me.

In short:
I am male. 25 years old. Played and Gm’d RPGs since I was about 8 years old. Moving through D&D 0th edition, skipping AD&D though, to 3.5 edition, other games include, but are not limited to: MERP, RMSS, HARP, Star Wars RPG (from D6 to the latest d20 incarnation), Millenniums End, Legend of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, Vampire, ICAR, Shatterzone, Babylon 5 (Chameleon Eclectics, not the d20), Everlasting, many different settings for the D20 system: wheel of Time, Iron Kingdoms amongst others.

I don’t play online games usually, although I have tested a few. Not too inspiring stuff.

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
Re: ’ello
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
'ello mate.  Welcome abroad and browse around.  Like you I don't play on-line games (a numerous multitude of reasons) and much prefer the PbP method.  You'll find we are kind of like family here and everyone is always willing to help.

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline Jegergryte

• Messenger
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
I would argue that PbP is still an on-line game, which I don’t play either really, as its hard to find time for something like that in my busy everyday job at the psychiatric ward... its then preferable to find time once or maybe twice a month for a proper session of gaming.
Anyway.
Thanks, and I will browse around, perhaps even consider to join some game, albeit I doubt it.

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
I would argue that PbP is still an on-line game, which I don’t play either really, as its hard to find time for something like that in my busy everyday job at the psychiatric ward... its then preferable to find time once or maybe twice a month for a proper session of gaming.
Anyway.
Thanks, and I will browse around, perhaps even consider to join some game, albeit I doubt it.

I was pretty skeptical of it at first, also, but I discovered that it does have some advantages (and disadvantages, but that's to be expected).

As a GM, you don't have to pause the game while you consider how to deal with the players suddenly trashing your adventure and heading straight off your map into the empty area; posting once a day is pretty fast for pbp, and even that gives you a whole day to come up with something.

Math, dice rolling, rules lookup, and such also do not slow play; you kind of do it in the background between posts.

It's easier to schedule, and you can game with the stinky guy who spills stuff without getting offended or wet.

You've got a support network of experienced GMs just one post away.

Need a pic for a character?  Google, cut, paste.   Need a map?  Google, cut, paste.  Need a picture of the DC-10 interior?  Google - you know.

You don't have to leave the room with the player who's not with / betraying the party - you use PMs.

You can allow a PC Dreamwalker, Seer, Decker, Netrunner, annoying PC who always goes off on his own and makes everyone else retire to the TV room while he monopolizes the GM with his own side thing for an hour or two, and by the time everyone's back to the table, it's time for someone to go home...  where was I?  Oh, yeah - you can have that player, and give them everything they want, without it affecting any of the other players at all.

On-site dice roller - no stepping on d4s, no 'accidental' rolling of damage dice into the big pile and wondering if the dice retrieved were REALLY the dice thrown...

Down side, of course, the impersonality of it, and the slowness of it.  But, if you're stuck 2+ hours from the nearest person who plays your system, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline Jegergryte

• Messenger
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »
I see your points, so granted, it has some allure to it, especially the whole smelly guy stuff ;) but since I have the luxury of having one player and co-gm as a neighbour, my gf plays, and my other players live max 30 minute walk/8 minute bus away.. well.. I guess you see what I mean...

Offline illucypher

• Forum moggy
  • Earl
  • Count Cat's reign of Terror in Sang Sur Mes Dents
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:32 AM »
I see your points, so granted, it has some allure to it, especially the whole smelly guy stuff ;) but since I have the luxury of having one player and co-gm as a neighbour, my gf plays, and my other players live max 30 minute walk/8 minute bus away.. well.. I guess you see what I mean...

lucky you ! :)

I live around 12 hours flight time away from the nearest person I know who roleplays.....

oh, btw, welcome :D
Keeper for:

Sang Sur Mes Dents (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London after Vampirism has been made legal. On hold but coming back.......

Sang Sur Mes Dents - Relinquo Cometes (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London seen through the eyes of a Vampire. On hold but coming back.......

Offline illucypher

• Forum moggy
  • Earl
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:09:37 AM »
Anyway.

I was pretty skeptical of it at first, also, but I discovered that it does have some advantages (and disadvantages, but that's to be expected).

As a GM, you don't have to pause the game while you consider how to deal with the players suddenly trashing your adventure and heading straight off your map into the empty area; posting once a day is pretty fast for pbp, and even that gives you a whole day to come up with something.

Math, dice rolling, rules lookup, and such also do not slow play; you kind of do it in the background between posts.

It's easier to schedule, and you can game with the stinky guy who spills stuff without getting offended or wet.

You've got a support network of experienced GMs just one post away.

Need a pic for a character?  Google, cut, paste.   Need a map?  Google, cut, paste.  Need a picture of the DC-10 interior?  Google - you know.

You don't have to leave the room with the player who's not with / betraying the party - you use PMs.

You can allow a PC Dreamwalker, Seer, Decker, Netrunner, annoying PC who always goes off on his own and makes everyone else retire to the TV room while he monopolizes the GM with his own side thing for an hour or two, and by the time everyone's back to the table, it's time for someone to go home...  where was I?  Oh, yeah - you can have that player, and give them everything they want, without it affecting any of the other players at all.

On-site dice roller - no stepping on d4s, no 'accidental' rolling of damage dice into the big pile and wondering if the dice retrieved were REALLY the dice thrown...

Down side, of course, the impersonality of it, and the slowness of it.  But, if you're stuck 2+ hours from the nearest person who plays your system, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

rotflmao!!!

Sorloc, you should get icky to remove all of the standard wording on the front welcome page and post this instead :)
Keeper for:

Sang Sur Mes Dents (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London after Vampirism has been made legal. On hold but coming back.......

Sang Sur Mes Dents - Relinquo Cometes (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London seen through the eyes of a Vampire. On hold but coming back.......

Offline LadyCatreece

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • Working....
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:13:27 AM »
First of all, hello! I am so glad that you have found the site. =^_^=

Secondly, oh, I remember that guy, Sorloc!!! That really smelly one!!! Gah, that was horrible!!! He left a weird spot on the couch and a smell that lasted for days!!! Only ONCE was he allowed to come over and never again! Dear lord in heaven, it was bad!

<laughs>

Impersonal? P'shaw! Most people here are our 'friends', regardless of where they live. =^_^=
Nya!

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
Welcome to the board. . .and yeah, if you stick around you'll make friends.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Jegergryte

• Messenger
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:11:38 AM »
lucky you ! :)

I live around 12 hours flight time away from the nearest person I know who roleplays.....
Then introduce people, is how I got myself a group when i lived in the uk for 3 years... introduce them, make the try, make them try again, and well, quite often, they get hooked... its like a drug to some of them now ;)

Offline illucypher

• Forum moggy
  • Earl
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:15:39 AM »
nice idea but I live in China so there is a major language barrier...... :)
Keeper for:

Offline Jegergryte

• Messenger
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
Well, learn the language ;) can’t be that hard.. ;)

A linguist around here said that chinese, the mandarin version, was the easiest language for us norwegians to learn, apparently... I used to train kung fu and learned quite a bit at that point, but thats some years ago...
but I can see that its an issue, when you want to indulge yourself in an imaginary world, using references perhaps not known that well by your chinese counterparts.. fair enough.

Advertisement