HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 21, 2018, 09:20:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 339436
  • Total Topics: 7326
  • Online Today: 33
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 837 times)

Offline Rudei

• Page
Greetings
« on: November 07, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
Hey all,

Nice site - just joined.  Quick info about me, firstly I'm a role-player - there, I said it, like an AA style admission  :mellow:  Actually, I'm proud of it and not afraid of speaking about such things to people that show even a flicker of interest.

Secondly, my experiences of roleplaying thus far are pretty much mainstream stuff, DnD mainly (version 2 through 3 and now 3.5 - can't swallow the 4.0 pill yet), with Cyberpunk and Star Wars (D20 version)  I've been playing for around 15 years, and around 18 months ago after an epic DnD campaign ran by my best friend (circa 6 years) I started GMing for myself, again in a DnD setting...

Looking to broaden my horizons a little and hope this place is a good start.  I currently run a weekly group comprising 2 clerics, a wizard, a scout and a barbarian.  It's going well, I think...  You may think this is a little lame but in all the years we've been playing, we've never actually had a proper character death, that is we've had deaths but have been able to resurrect... that is until 2 weeks ago when the Drow wizard got obliterated!  As I said, first time that's really happened despite a lot of playing experience within the group.  Add in the dynamic of a slightly in-experienced male player taking on the slightly less uncomfortable role of a female cleric and it makes for an interesting game and a tougher challenge for a relatively inexperienced GM like myself (GM, DM whichever you prefer)

Anyways, that's enough jibber jabber from me, thanks for having me along and I hope to learn a few things from the site and the other members on the boards.

Looking forward to it.

Kind Regards,
Rudei

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Welcome to the boards. . .if you've come to dip your toe into the Non-d20 pool, you've come to the right place. . .check out recruiting for the gaming table and find something you like.

If you have any questions, just ask.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
 :'(
He... he said...  uh... uh... 

He said the naughty words!  You promised no one would say the naughty words ever again and bring back all those traumatic memories...

:rolleyes:
Greetings, Rudei, welcome... from what you say, prepare to be a bit surprised on this site... it's all non-dnd (I am contractually bound to clarify that is not to be construed as anti-dnd, only referring to all systems other than dnd).

But hey, now you get to experience the wonderful spectrum of alternatives!  Trust me, it will be cool.  Most often, you won't need the rules to play any of the games on the site.  If you do, the important parts will likely be posted, or another player will help you. 

Don't be nervous about posting in any thread that's not in a gaming area, or PMing someone for information.  Everyone here is nice and helpful, except me.

Good luck, have fun!

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline Rudei

• Page
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
Non-D20 stuff is fine by me, like I said I'd like to broaden my horizons  :mellow:

Any recommendations?

Rudei

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Take a look:

http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?board=58.0

Ask questions. . .

Find a game you like. . .

Post that you want to join. . .

You're on your way.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline illucypher

• Forum moggy
  • Earl
  • Count Cat's reign of Terror in Sang Sur Mes Dents
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 01:27:10 AM »
Hey Rudei hail and well met!

I'm sure you will find many many game genres here to whet your appetite.

As Sorloc said we run pretty much anything that is not dnd, hell we even have a couple of board games being played!
Keeper for:

Sang Sur Mes Dents (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London after Vampirism has been made legal. On hold but coming back.......

Sang Sur Mes Dents - Relinquo Cometes (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London seen through the eyes of a Vampire. On hold but coming back.......

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 04:31:59 PM »
Non-D20 stuff is fine by me, like I said I'd like to broaden my horizons  :mellow:

Any recommendations?

Rudei

That depends rather a lot...

What are you interested in,
and even more pertinent question:
What did you always feel was lacking in the dnd system / games - what did you wish they had changed in the revision?

If you're interested in other genres, there are usually systems just for that genre.
If you'd always wished you could do more character development, with skills, and traits and stuff, there are lots of systems with skills other than sneak, hide, pick lock, kill stuff. 

Really, the only reason to switch systems is because you keep banging up against its limitations and you're sick of house ruling things.  I would go so far as to say that you'd need a big truck to carry all the dnd house rules for all the people on this site. 

So, the question really is, what are your major house rules / what did you always wich you could do but the system would not support it?

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Advertisement