Author Topic: Diplomacy: How to play on a forum  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
Diplomacy: How to play on a forum
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:45:52 AM »
This is a first for me also, feel free to discuss, but here's my idea:

Combine the Diplomacy and Writing Orders Phases.

I'll give you a time limit, you can talk amongst yourselves all you want, and then PM me your orders before the time limit runs out. If you fail to PM me orders before the time limit runs out, all of your units go idle and "Hold" for this turn.

Diplomacy to be handled via PM, you can PM each other 1 on 1, or in groups, it's up to you, just make sure to CC me on all PMs. (I will be copying them to a hidden thread to be revealed after the game.). Face to face play allows for much faster discussions between people, but I suspect the ability to hold multiple simultaneous conversations will be a big benefit in diplomacy on the board.

I will open one public diplomacy thread "War in the Press" in which you can also say whatever you want for everyone to see. . .and it's just as non binding as the private kind. . .this is akin to standing by the board and yelling, which I've seen plenty of. . .it's a good place for broad platitudes of your peaceful intentions, or public threats of horrible retaliation if someone crosses you. . .

Once you decide your orders, PM them to me, and they are done, you cannot retract them once they've been submitted. If everyone gets their orders in before the timer runs out, then I will consider that tacit "Unanimous agreement" that the diplomacy phase is over, and move to order resolution.

IMPORTANT: Remember that lying and deceit are not only OK, they should be expected. . .knowing who to trust, and who not to trust, and when, is the most important aspect of the game. No deals are enforceable, and the only reason to keep your word is that if people trust you, they will do deals with you more and you will benefit. . .finding the right balance between trust and treachery is impossible for me to tell you, as it's different for each player in each game. . .on that note, anything goes. . .you can get a PM from another player. . .and forward it to someone else (sharing confidential corrispondence, you naughty, naughty diplomat). . .it's also OK to forward a PM and change it so that it says something else. . .or to create a PM that looks like a forward but is a total fabrication. . .of course, the person you send it to might then turn around and send it to the orignal author, or someone else, or post it in public in the "War in the Press" thread. . .or they might mock up a fake PM and quote it into the public eye. . .anything goes. . .but of course, everything is deniable too. (Your reputation in the end will allow you to deflect lies, or lie convincingly). I will confirm or deny NOTHING.

DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THIS PERSONALLY, IT'S PART OF THE GAME. . .in fact, I urge you all to refer always to people by their faction, to avoid any personal hard feelings. . .i.e. "The Germans are idiots" not "Celedor is an idiot". . OK?

If retreats are involved, I will PM the player for an immediate reply. . .you are not allowed to discuss it, but I cannot control you, so it's the honor system there.

Same with building and disbanding, no diplomacy, just notes, and the honor system.

I don't know how long is "Long enough" for a diplomatic phase. Ordinarily the first one is double length to let you get your bearings and make initial alliances and such.

I have a request in, SAT-SUN will always count as 1 day.

How about 5 days for the first diplomacy, and after that's done we'll go to 3 per turn. . .and adjust as needed until we hit a time frame we like?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:52:19 AM by Celedor »
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
Re: Diplomacy: How to play on a forum
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
When writing diplomatic notes, always address them and sign them, it will make it easier to read the final, post game thread.

i.e. if Croaker (germany) sends a note to Epo (italy) and Phalse Prof (Austria) he should start and end it like this:

Italy & Austria,

We should crush the french.

Germany

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • How do you like your blueeyed boy Mr. Death?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:50:25 AM »
Sounds good.
"How do you hold on to an angel?"

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline epohfossol

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
  • "I'm a high priest Vatican assassin warlock!"
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:59:24 AM »
I am liking this already.......
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...  - Vizzini

Offline CroakerDogBoy

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • How do you like your blueeyed boy Mr. Death?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:13 AM »
Celedor is an idiot

But you have no faction. So how would we insult you other then by title?
"How do you hold on to an angel?"

"Hook em by the wing joint. You know where it jogs in there? Clip or a claw... a snare would do it."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:08:46 AM »
all abuse at the moderator should be addressed to LordMiller.  ;evil)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:10:28 AM by Celedor »

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:47:09 AM »
     Do we want to write "dummy orders" for factions that are not in the game? Everyone would submit a set of orders for a country without a current player. Say Italy was not in the game. Everyone would write a set of orders that would have Italy support itself, or move to attack someone. One set of orders would be chosen (at random) from the set provided. This would represent a country with prime ministers falling every few months, and wild foreign policy.

The idea is that many players drop out once they are down to one army and one supply center. Rather than just having them hold, they might do something ... unpredictable. Or not.
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:44 AM »
I've played with that, it works fairly well (and is at least less boring than them sitting there like lumps.)

We really have three choices, lumps, random orders per what raf said, or I just take them over and make them behave erraticly. (Like, roll a die, "Attack france this turn" OK)

I'm open to any of the three.

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
Or how about this?

Lord Miller is dummy.  :ill:

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 05:36:15 AM »
I hate that LM guy. . . :rolleyes:

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
Everyone seems to be getting going OK so far. Loving the "War in the Press" thread. . .

Just a note to remember to tag all diplomatic notes with To and From so it's clear what's being discussed when I port it over to the "combined correspondance" thread I'll reveal at the end. . .trust me, it's already got me both thinking, and laughing.

Some of you have just worked the to/from faction names into the text of the message so that it's clear who the letter is from and to, that's fine also, as long as it's actually clear.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »
Those of you who have handed in your builds, and are opening diplomacy with others. . ..if they've not done their builds yet, you're offering them a freebie.

If you have not handed in your build orders. . . .do NOT send any diplomacy PMs until you've sent me your build instructions.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »
I'll let it slide this first game, for the 1901 turn. . .but:

No diplomacy on retreats.
No Diplomacy on builds.

You can speculatively discuss it in the future tense, ala "If you have to retreat, don't retreat into Berlin, I intend to retreat there if I have to."

You can speculatively discuss builds after the official start of the spring phase, before the end of the fall phase.

but

discussing your builds after fall phase ends, before spring phase has been officially announced. . .or attempting to discuss retreats between rounds is explicity not allowed in the rules. (Even if you're lying)

From this point on, keep it in mind, or I'll be forced to take steps.

So if you have your builds in, and are eager to talk, go ahead, just don't discuss your builds, or their builds.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 04:07:30 AM by Celedor »

Offline Xanalor

• Supreme Chancellor of Europe
  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Purple Sash
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »
Oops, I missed this thread before responding to messages in my inbox. Sorry about that. Wasn't really strategy discussion though... I mean, it's not like I have much choice where to build. (As Celedor pointed out, I could choose to NOT build one or both of my armies but, um, rrrrright.)

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:01 AM »
Please quote less on the PM diplomatic correspondance if at all possible. . .I have 2 and three tier quoting to disentangle, and the combined diplomacy thread is already 15 pages long. . . .

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »
It is not so much that we quote, rather it is the automatic quote from "Reply All".
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »
that's what mouse-block-delete was made for. . . .heheh.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:50 PM »
Vienna, Venice, they both start with a V!

Sorry, my bad, fixed. . .thank god Xanlor was on and ready to point that out ASAP.

I double checked the other orders, and see no errors.

Offline Xanalor

• Supreme Chancellor of Europe
  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Purple Sash
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:15:57 PM »
You didn't find it the least bit curious that I would completely pass on a free build and instead retreat to my home territory with support that completely wasn't needed?  :P

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
I thought you were being crafty. . .so crafty even I didn't get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk