HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2018, 08:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 340567
  • Total Topics: 7343
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 11
Total: 13

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Greetings and Salutations  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
Greetings and Salutations
« on: December 27, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
Hello. Nice to meet you all. Lady Catreece told me that this is the coolest place to be, and a wise man heeds her words.
I have been gaming since 1982. I started with Boot Hill (TSR) and Wild West (FGU), then Spacemaster (ICE), Chivalry & Sorcery (FGU), Bushido (FGU), Twilight 2000, and James Bond.
I started GMing with Wild West, Runequest and Stormbringer, but it wasn't until I found a pile of cardboard sheets with attack tables, critical charts, and tons of spells that I found one of the two best games ever, Rolemaster.
It wasn't until 1994 that I finally played D&D, and perhaps that is the problem. It's like I was brought up on anime and manga and then someone forced me to watch old OLD (pre WWII) Looney Tunes and said, "isn't this the greatest?"
Well, in a word, no.
It's my fault, really, I was spoiled.
After more than two decades of gaming, my favorites are Rolemaster (2nd+3rd), Runequest (3rd), Spacemaster, DC Heroes, Champions, Ars Magica, Mage, and, with the right people, Werewolf.
I have also played Villians & Vigilantes, Marvel Stupor Heroes, Space Opera was pretty cool, but that's all I remember of it, Wooden Ships & Iron Men were theirs too. I made a character for Flashing Blades but never played it. I also played Twilight 2000, Recon, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Jorune, Cyberpunk, Gurps, Star Frontiers, Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes  , Tunnels & Trolls, ...
Can't think of any others -- Oh! Traveller, Torg, ummm...
Sometimes just trying new systems is fun.

I'm glad to be here, and look forward to introducing you all to my many characters, but not too many at once, no matter how you beg.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 07:15:20 PM by Sorloc »

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
Greetings and Salutations
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 12:38:35 AM »
Wooden Ships and Iron Men...hum... good old Avalon Hill !

Me.. I'm a bit of a system junkie myself, I started with Boxed 2WW wargames like Panzerblitz and Squad leader an ended up getting a set of Basic D&D on a whim in a wargames shop...the next day I got the AD&D Dungeon masters guide and was using it for several months before realising it was a different set of rules ! :rolleyes:

20 odd years later my collection has swelled to 200+ systems (to be honest there are only a few that I've actually played...it's the new ideas that interest me, I just like reading a book !) and to date the games I like the most are the ICE family rules. (although I hardly ever get to play it....mainly the reason I joined this forum..  :( )

Anyway welcome !

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
Re: Greetings and Salutations
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 07:04:36 PM »
...I have been gaming since 1982...

25 YEARS!  HOLY 'shiznit'!

Ow, I think I just broke my hip...

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)

Offline TJ

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »
...I have been gaming since 1982...

25 YEARS!  HOLY 'shiznit'!

Ow, I think I just broke my hip...

I know how you feel. I started when Blackmoor was published back in '77. Still trying to explain to my wife why I need 4 large shelving units to store all of my gaming materials...
HARP.... High Adventure Role Playing!
HARP SF....  The Sci-Fi Solution to Role Playing!
Apprentice of the Guild

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »
In March, I was subjected to the indignity of gaining a guy on my crew who was born a year after I graduated High School...  O.O

Offline TJ

• GamesMasters
  • Baron
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I was talking with my wife's cousins 2 weeks ago at a big Birthday party (kind of like a wedding reception) with a live band, etc.  The band was playing music from the early 80's and my wife and I were naming every song and singing along.  I turned to her cousin (recent college grad) and said, "You remember this song, don't you? It was from my High School days. You were probaby around 10 or 12..." 

His response, "I was born in 1985."  (The year I graduated from High School - his girlfriend was quick to suggest it was related to senility setting in with my old age.)
HARP.... High Adventure Role Playing!
HARP SF....  The Sci-Fi Solution to Role Playing!
Apprentice of the Guild

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 08:26:14 PM »
:P

Punks.

;D

I tell the story of the day I turned 'old'.
I remember the exact moment (not the date, but it was about 7 years ago)...

I was in the food court at the mall with Lady C and our friend Eric.
There were some teens at the next table, chattering loudly about some crap or other, and how stupid / oppressive their parents were, and he said / she said nonsense, when a pack slouched by, wearing pants 6 sizes too big, underwear sticking out (like my grandfather used to do - never had him pegged for a fashion trendsetter), and I thought,
"I hate the way they dress.  I hate the music - hasn't been anything good on the radio for at least 15 years.  I don't understand their conversations, what they think is important is so trivial."

Then it hit me -
They haven't changed.

I have. 

Then I fell and broke my hip and couldn't get up...  :P

Offline Dame Eldgeth

• RPGRM 2007 Player of the Year
  • Grey Council
  • Viscount
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:17:29 AM »
I felt old when the carry-out boy at the supermarket called me "ma'am".  Geez, it used to be "honey" or "sweetie".
And now my niece has her driver's license...Wasn't she born a couple of years ago?  Where the heck did 16 years go?  My brain still tells me I'm 25, but my birth certificate says something completely different.

sorloc-take two aspirin and call someone else in the morning :D

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:52:58 AM »
eh?  What's that?  I wasn't sleeping!

Creative Freedom banner