Author Topic: Name the best HPL story  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Andrea_Cerri

• Messenger
    • http://
Name the best HPL story
« on: March 15, 2005, 01:09:14 PM »
Hi, sorry for the long delay but problems have a tendecy to group together...
Nevertheless here's a post to start a little discussion...

What is the best HPL story according to you ?

I dare say that my favorite is "From Beyond" for the claustrophobic idea of living in a space condivided withe monstruosity that we cannot see.

Regarding the Mythos I'm quite sure that "Call of Cthulhu" is awesome but I share a particular love for "Shadow over Innsmouth" ( that is also a beautiful inspiration for RPG) . The ending is very beautiful really.

Ok let me hear what you think
Ciao

Offline illucypher

• Forum moggy
  • Earl
  • Count Cat's reign of Terror in Sang Sur Mes Dents
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:52:18 AM »
Most confess I've never actually read any of HPL's work, however I've just down loaded "Call of Cthulhu" so will have a read and let you know....

Also, here's a link for html versions of his works (I just cut n pasted into word to make reading easier!)

HPL Stories

The site says its the complete works, but I wouldn't know!  :o
Keeper for:

Sang Sur Mes Dents (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London after Vampirism has been made legal. On hold but coming back.......

Sang Sur Mes Dents - Relinquo Cometes (Call of Cthulhu), gothic horror in Victorian London seen through the eyes of a Vampire. On hold but coming back.......

Offline Andrea_Cerri

• Messenger
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:50:43 PM »
Mmmh nice link !
Seems like some of his early works are missing and some of the collaborations with other authors too, but all in all seems like a pretty complete website.

I suggest you read there some of the stories and start losing Sanity points.

Ciao

Offline Cannibal Monkey

• Page
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:21:56 PM »
Ive always liked the shorter ones, that give you a brief glimpse of some event then shut all systems down at the end and leave you thinking "...'shiznit'"

Examples would be "Pickman's Model", "Herbert West - Reanimator" and "The Hound"

Im not such a fan of the weird and wacky ones like "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" (I think that's the title). I find it hard to be scared by the totally unreal.
Uhhh... Stuff.

Offline Tsathoggua

• Messenger
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 04:24:23 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE(Cannibal Monkey @ Mar 19 2005, 09:21 PM)
Ive always liked the shorter ones, that give you a brief glimpse of some event then shut all systems down at the end and leave you thinking "...'shiznit'"

Examples would be "Pickman's Model", "Herbert West - Reanimator" and "The Hound"

Im not such a fan of the weird and wacky ones like "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" (I think that's the title). I find it hard to be scared by the totally unreal.
Actually, I believe that "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" was meant to be more in a humorous vein. Some hints of this pop-up throughout the story. The first HPL story I ever read, and still my favorite, is "The Doom That Came To Sarnath."
From the Gulf of N'Kai to the Nameless Isle

Offline ddball

• Viscount
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ddball
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 09:59:15 AM »
I haven't read any, but I have read some Colin Wilson and found him suitably creepy. Without having read my master's work, I might suggest "The Tale of Inspector Legrasse" although the Inspector wouldn't call it a tale .. he wouldn't talk about it at all. I have heard him sob like a baby when he didn't know I was there. That was before I met master ..  :o
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:59:38 AM by ddball »

Fulcrum Dignitatus Virtus
Dignity balanced with virtue
=============
It isn't who you know. It's whom you know.
Have you seen my Vorpal Sword?
    Oddball.

Offline vytzka

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • The Lithuanian Psycho
    • http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~vyju3526
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »
Well, for me the scariest (and hence best?) by far is "The Dunwich Horror"out of ten or so that I've read. I think it's because of the mystery, until the very end you don't really know what really is the thing like and your imagination goes full speed.

IMO HPL stories work the better the less you understand exactly what is going on. Probably that's why The Call Of C. is probably not that scary, at least for me, because you already have a vague idea what is going on, the Big Green Dude With Tentacles in the middle of the ocean, or something. It's simply that Cthulhu has basicaly became a part of common culture and that takes away a lot of that mild shock people experience when exposed to Lovecraft's world.

Back to the stories, I've also found Nyarlathotep very good, it's so short and really dark and scary. It could even make a perfect introductory story for the first timers if it only was not so cryptic :) Anyway, I'm still waiting for the right state of mind to read The Dream Quest Of Unknown Kadath.
Birds come in flocks.
Sheep come in herds.
Mi-Go come in my dreams.
 HPLHS SaniTestâ„¢

Offline Tsathoggua

• Messenger
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »
Quote from: QUOTE
IMO HPL stories work the better the less you understand exactly what is going on.
I agree "The Dunwich Horror" is a classic but I found ending to be a little bit of a let down.  Perhaps in the vein you suggested that the unknown factor lends the stories their mystique and power. Once Lovecraft attempts to explain what has occurred, the explanation seems to, in some way, diminish the story.
The one exception to this might be "The Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath."  I found the story to be interesting because it draws together elements from several of HPL's stories and fits them together in a relatively coherent fashion (Is that an oxymoron? A coherent Lovecraft story. Or have I peered too long into the abyss that contains the Old Ones? AAAAAHHHHH.)
 Evening is always the best time to read a Lovecraft story.  It helps to be in a weird frame of mind.  The story provided me with some inspiration for a game I ran several months ago.  Of course, that may tell you something about my state of mind  :P . Make sure you have no distractions when you actually do sit down to read the Dream Quest story, because it is a fair bit longer than most HPL stories and actually requires some effort to focus on the characters what is happpening in the story.
From the Gulf of N'Kai to the Nameless Isle

Offline Robsi

• Messenger
    • http://kungfookitty.proboards29.com/index.cgi
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »
Hey, I've got a CoC RPG on my website.
It's not been on long, but it totally kicks 'arse'.
We're having an auction for magicy things [*drools*] and I'm going to go read the Necronomicon soon. W00tage!
Ok, I'm done.

Offline Sorloc

• Viscount
    • Facebook
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
Yeah, I remember being all into that and jazzed about the Necronomicon and all the stories about it... I was like, 17, 18?  It didn't last long, it just didn't hold any appeal for me.  I think I got into Piers Anthony instead :)

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline Robsi

• Messenger
    • http://kungfookitty.proboards29.com/index.cgi
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »
I still have no idea what a Necronomicon is.
But, apparently, it get's me magic, so I'm happy.
I'm off to look for some griomoires.

Offline mindHack

• Messenger
Name the best HPL story
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 08:29:32 PM »
My first choice would be The Haunter of the Dark, being both the first story by HPL that I read and the first Cthulhu adventure that I ever played. It is infact the ideal story to read to get the "feel" for Lovecraft's universe and the RPG all rolled into one. It is not his best story, I like the obscure ones, Azathoth, Cool Air, Celephais, The Doom that Came to Sarnath and Dagon. They have an abstract alien quality about them. Memorable, haunting, beautiful and otherworldly. I often wish I journeyed beyond the wall of sleep as extensively as HPL...
"Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life." TP

Offline wingbaron

• GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
Re: Name the best HPL story
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Theres so many, and i love Lovecraft so much that i have his gravestone tattoed on my arm  :yes: ... But if i have to choose, i will say Herbert west, whisperer in the dark and the terrible old man.
Cthulhu loves you

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 04:42:57 AM »
I've always been partial to "The Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath."

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline Usdrothek

• Grey Council
  • Prince
  • "Disparaging the Boot is a bootable offense."
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:06:20 PM »
Jeez. I cant believe no one has said my favourite .

"The case of Charles Dexter Ward"
Look at me still talking when there's Science to do.
When I look out there, it makes me glad I'm not you.
I've experiments to run, there is research to be done
.....................on the people who are still alive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk