HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2018, 05:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 344268
  • Total Topics: 7398
  • Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 38
Total: 39

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Poof - Archmagician Arrives  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
Poof - Archmagician Arrives
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
Greetings and Well Met!

I have been roleplaying since 1983 - 2 years after some Christian group introduced me to a "Devil's" game to stay away from. After their description, I just KNEW I had to try this game! It finally took me two years, when I was inprocessing into the Army to find someone who actually knew how to play it.

I played D&D for three years almost every weekend when I was in the military until someone introduced me to Rolemaster. I have been playing Rolemaster ever since (1986).

I joined the forum on the recommendation of one of your members: ictus, in order to solicit for a few more players to flesh out my PBeM game. :)

With that being said, here is my pitch:

Looking for a few more players (We have lots already), to join a new PBeM campaign (its just about to start).

Check out the site and let me know if you are interested!

http://pbem1.reynoldslive.com/MainPage.ashx

thanks!
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
Re: Poof - Archmagician Arrives
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
Hello and welcome!

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)
"How hard can it be?" -- Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), Temple of Doom (1984)

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 03:59:14 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Any interest in trying out my game? :D
Airborne All The Way!

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:38:38 PM »
Welcome aboard.....

the link should realy be in the classified section, as that's where off site adverts go, but you can just add another link in that section as well.

you could always try a bit of play by post, it's often a little quicker than PBeM, and just like the site you use it's free here too, but there is room under the sun for many styles and ways of playing, so you go with what your happy with.

Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »
There are a lot of advantages to PBP but there are also some disadvantages, which for me, make me want to go with PBeM. In fact, I am planning on writing a java app to help me coordinate the game so that I dont even run into the traditional disadvantages of PBeM.

Here is the key thing that I seek:
That people who are in an area, can only read the text of conversations that they would have been privy to. There is no simple way to effect this in a PBP game, unless I create a custom website. I could do this, but dont want to go through the effort of getting a hosting site and whatnot.

So my asnwer to this problem is to create a custom app which will help me coorinate the sending and receiving of emails. To be more specific I am going to create a little HTML email which will have all the pictures of the characters in the roomm, followed by the text of their actions and speech. This way a character will only get text from a room that they are in. Now I can email blast the latest set of text in a room to only those in the room.

While I am working on the app, I will probably be doing this by hand, but eventually, it would be nice to have it automated.
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »
This site does have the ability to create passworded threads...

quite a few of the games here simply have an "on trust" method with respect to threads that players are not involved in.

True this may not be exactly what you want, but it is an option.

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
Hmm, it is a thought... but then trying to get people who are busy (lazy) to know which sub thread to use, and whatnot, I want to make things easy for them.

FYI, the program I would develop I would be willing to give away. You guys can use it too. Maybe if you want you can participate. I dont know if you are devleopers but if not, I really so-so with graphics, you could make some pretty buttons or just beta it. LOL

I really think it would be a step above PbP and PBeM (not that I am trying to put pbp down BTW).

I could also do some neat stuff like add the ability to stream music or sounds for atmospherics, etc.

I should add that in the future it could support cool stuff like a hex map and the ability to move minatures around on it for some simple turn-by-turn combat schtuff. Its all a SMOP (small matter of programming) LOL
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:14:09 PM by Archmagician »
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:37:23 PM »
Missed this one!!!

1. What is your first name? Peter
2. How old are you? 42 (But whats the QUESTION?)
3. Are you married? No!! Never!!!
4. Have any kids? Nope (not that I know of... :| )
5. What nationality are you? USA Greek/Irish by Ancestry
6. What part of the world do you live in? LA, Phoenix (yep both places)
7. What is your occupation? Software Engineer
8. What would you like to do for a living? Rock Star! See my drums (http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/drumpic1.jpg)
9. What is your favourite hobby besides role-playing ? See Above
10. What do you think is your biggest talent? I dunno got many! Playing Guitar perhaps, Writing software
11. When did you start role-playing? 1983
12. What game world/system did you start playing with first? D&D
13. What is your favourite genre(s)? Fantasy
14. What is your favourite character class? Assassin/Nightblade
15. Would you rather be a player a GM or both? GM
16. Do you have a favourite game system(s)? Rolemaster
17. Does anyone else in your family role-play? Nope
18. Do you regularly play in a face to face rpg group? Yes
19. So what brings you to “rpgResourceMasters” and how did you find us? ictus
20. Could you please explain your username? Had it since around 1988 or so. Created it for a BBS. I thought the RM archmage class was cool.
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »
GBs War Lords is a good example, to simulate the fog of war, all the threads are locked and password protected during play, so Each commander is locked into a single thread area. I do know the shading issues. . .One of the best CoC games I've ever played in was PBEM, as that format is ideal for keeping everyone paranoid and maintain their personal perspective. . . .though PbP is no worse than TT for a trend toward the objective (vs personal subjective.). . .PMs are as useful as the ol "Drag the GM out of the room" technique.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »
That sounds workable in his scenario. The problem is people will be flittering from one area to another, so the combinations of people in rooms will be too enormous to deal with in threads. Even if it were possible, a new thread would be created for each turn since the same group of people may not have been in the room together during a previous iteration. It would be KAOS!! LOL

Anyway, what is your thoughts on the program? Would you guys like to use it if I developed it? I will develop it anyway, just wondering if you deem it an advantage or not.
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
I'm always willing to at least try something new.

I almost wonder if there isn't some sort of conference plugin to this board software for meetings or something similar that couldn't replicate some form of rotating access to threads. . .hmm.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »
interesting idea...haven't found anything like that yet, but I can keep looking, though the chat room allows for private rooms.

I'm usually happy trusting players to only look at the bits they should, after all it's for their benefit.. ;)
Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
I have found that not to be the case. In fact, just yesterday in the recent PBeM that I am a player in. we had a guy who went through all the character sheets reading their background info and whether they had psionic abilities or not. The GM clearly stated at the beginning of the game the following points:
1. Dont read anyones background info except your own
2. Dont read the back part of your character sheets (where had had the psionic info contained) because I dont want you to know about latent abilities. It is simply for me to keep track of

But this guy went not only through HIS entire character sheet, but everyone elses!

Nope sorry, you have to lock 'shiznit' down. Whether its due to ignorance or cheating, people will 'bad word' up. LOL

HAHAHHA Bad Word!!!

He said it...oh no...The Word!!!
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of players here.

Perhaps it has to do with most of them being GMs also,
Perhaps it has to do with the lack of 'video game RPG' mentality - that it's a 'game' that you can 'win',
Perhaps it's simply maturity.

Hmmm... makes me notice that the 'user age' poll is gone since the board upgrade...

<sneaking off to create a poll>

"Terrible what passes for a ninja these days" -- Pops Racer (John Goodman), Speed Racer (2008)

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
Generally speaking, that's a player problem, not a format issue. . .I suspect mr 'doesn't follow directions' would be a problem in a lot of other ways also.

Certain games thrive on in character dissent, but if you can't reach a certain level of out of character trust, it's not going to work anyway. (Like, I'm betting that player would cheat at monopoly too.)

Offline Archmagician

• Messenger
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 04:11:41 AM »
To be honest, I think it was done out of ignorance, but in either case, it still is nice to have there be no question in anyones mind. When it comes to PBeM there is little control of the quality of the players, and sometmes, you want the odd lot in there just to see how they add just a spice of chaos into the mix to make things interesting. LOL

But I truely do feel that program would give us the best of both worlds! Maybe I think this way because I am a software geek... :P

----

On another thought, would you guys like to join my game? :D You seem like dedicated and experienced Role Players! I would be overjoyed to have ones like you in my game.

http://pbem1.reynoldslive.com/MainPage.ashx
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:15:40 AM by Archmagician »
Airborne All The Way!

Offline Sorloc

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 03:40:29 PM »
Generally speaking, that's a player problem, not a format issue. . .I suspect mr 'doesn't follow directions' would be a problem in a lot of other ways also.

Certain games thrive on in character dissent, but if you can't reach a certain level of out of character trust, it's not going to work anyway. (Like, I'm betting that player would cheat at monopoly too.)

That's pretty much the case right there.  It gelled for me a few days ago, while I was reading some posts on LiveJournal under "Bad RPers Suck".  The advent and rise of video-game RPGs has eclipsed tabletop RPGs, we all know this.  The new generation of 'Role Playing Gamers' are weaned not on dice, but mice.  Their introduction is into a format where if you die, the screen says, "YOU LOSE."  The other side of that is that it is possible, through the use of 'cheats' websites and hundreds of hours, to reach the 'end' of the game, and "WIN".  :-\

That's it, right there - the nexus of the problem that 'old-school' gamers have with 'next-gen' gamers - they have the idea that it's actually possible to 'WIN' at a Role-Playing Game.

It's bad enough among the 'old-school' crowd the concept that a role-playing game is a competition or something between a GM and the players; that they are in conflict - how retarded is that?  How could you possibly have any fun at all in such an environment?  But the notion that you can level up enough and get enough loot that you can actually 'WIN'?  It's almost so alien a concept I can't conceive it.  How do you 'win' a role-playing game?  But that is the type of game they are used to, and the type of game that is most prevalent right now.

"Weep for the future, Na'Toth.  Weep for us all." --G'Kar (Babylon 5)

Red Cap