HOME DOWNLOADS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 10:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 344232
  • Total Topics: 7395
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 348
  • (February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 11
Total: 12

Dice Roller

Type of Dice Number of Dice

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2864 times)

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
Hello!
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
I am a free-form RPGer/cooperative writing fan who is becoming more and more interested in rules-based gaming.  I've found a number of really neat indie RPGs that I love, but haven't had much of a chance to play.  All of the local gaming shops (all two of them  ;) ) are playing D&D, miniature war games, and trading card games almost exclusively, and none of that really interests me.  Most of my attempts to start up and play "non-standard" RPGs has completely failed.  Thus, I have turned to the internet.  I have a chat-based group that I love, but we don't get to play that much (once or twice a month).  I'm thinking PbP might be the answer, but I am having trouble finding people to play my crazy little games. 

You guys looked like you might be just crazy enough to try.  :)

I like my games very rules-lite and very cooperative, so I'm going to snoop around here a see what everyone likes and what I might try to join or run.

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
     My interest depends on the system. I used to play Amber Diceless a lot.  :) No one wanted me to run a Throne War, on here.  :( I am not interested in fuzzy animal games though.
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »
I read through the Amber Diceless RPG book and liked it, but I've never tried it.  It reads like it could run quite well with the right troupe. 

My current favorite game is Dogs in the Vineyard though I've only played 2 sessions by chat.  My all time favorite is My Life with Master.  That game is creepy good, and it runs really well in PbP.

I'm not a big fan of anything "fuzzy" or anything that is even the least bit Anime-like.  I know lots of folks are, but it's just not for me.

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:06:51 PM »
Welcome Aboard

when I saw the user name pop up as a new member email I wasn't sure what to expect though...

turns out your another nut who thinks role playing isn't really about the rules, though sometimes they help shape and give a game some structure.

hope you find what your looking for, and really glad you found us through google...
Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline arakish

• GamesMasters
  • Viscount
  • A joy of mine
    • World of Onaviu
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 03:24:18 AM »
Welcome!  :)

Glad to have you on board. ;D

Browse the active games here.

For games which have openings, check here.

rmfr
"Borders exist only because man imagines them; otherwise, there are none."
— RMF Runyan @ Invite Only Discussion Panel Seminar on 'Borders' @ UNM

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet, but I'm only about half-way through checking out the active games.  What I've seen so far looks great!

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »
Welcome!

Gotta ask. . . .where'd the name come from?
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »
It's a funny story that is hard to capture in words.  It's from one of those "you had to be there" moments, but basically my neighbor Sam once scolded me, saying, "Oh don't be such a nun!" 

I rolled my eyes at the notion (it is/was a pretty silly notion) and replied, "Right.  Can you see me as a nun?  That would be something to behold." 

Sam laughed, thought about it for a moment, and then said something like, "Well . . . maybe you could be some kind of weird, mystical nun."

Anyway, it's very much an "inside" joke, and not a very good story to tell, but the name "mystical nun" stuck, and I've used it for the last year as my semi-official internet "handle."

Offline ictus

• Administrator
  • Earl
    • rpgResourceMasters
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 08:31:39 PM »
I think you managed to get it across in words, excellent :)
Visit the welcome section of the forums and click on the VOTE link,
so you can vote for us and move us up the rankings at the gateway :)

Please vote once every 24 hours for best results

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:57:21 AM »
     The big thing about Amber Diceless: you need a LARGE group for it to work. A minimum size is six, with ten being optimal.  In fact, it is best when two rival cabals form with several players neutral. Then the power politics come into play.

Not everyone needs to show up for every session. It is even ok if a few people drop out onto the fringes if they return every so often. Amber is almost a pure roleplaying game; definitely it involves intrigue and discovery.

Rolemaster is much better with a smaller group: say 3-6 players plus a GM.
"Hold still while I get that squirrel off your face with my morningstar."- Aloysius (first level magician).

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »
Wow.  That's a *big* group.  I think that would be fun once or twice, but I don't think I'd enjoy regularly playing in a game with that many players.  I can't imagine a story with that many authors working out, but I've never done it, so I suppose I should keep an open mind.

And I've never played RoleMaster, but I have played (once or twice) D&D3.5, True20, WFRP, PalFRP, and a few others (I can't keep track) of the "fantasy combat simulators."  They all had their moments, and some of the groups were more fun than others, but those kinds of games don't generally interest me for very long.  That's not a slam against those games or their players; just the way I'm wired, I guess  I do, however, get into the mood to play them from time to time.   :)  Maybe I'll try a game of RM here.  I know someone with the books, I think.

Offline Celedor

• Grey Council
  • Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 01:29:56 PM »
Most of the GMs around here will run you sans books. . .I find that only becomes a problem if you play a spellcaster, since you need the text of the spells. Skills and such are a lot easier to just do without a book.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Dame Eldgeth

• RPGRM 2007 Player of the Year
  • Grey Council
  • Viscount
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:09 PM »
Hello MysticalNun!

I think you'll find most of the players here are not rules addicts.  Just enough to keep things consistent.  The emphasis in most games is the role playing, and how well you can play your character. 
Myself, I don't even own the rules for some of the games I'm currently in.  Other players help me out with questions or problems.  This is a fairly social bunch.
I hope you find something you like.  Or, start one of your "crazy little games".  Why not? 

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 12:48:25 AM »
I hope you find something you like.  Or, start one of your "crazy little games".  Why not? 

I've been thinking about that.  I just can't decide which one.  I've got a fun little "Zombie Survival Game" that's easy to play and very entertaining.  It's very narrative oriented, so there are only a few rolls to make, and dice are only rolled once per scene (at the beginning).  The players and the GM then interpret the dice and write their part of the scene accordingly.  After the runners (the players who go out into the zombie wasteland to collect supplies for their tribe) return home, there is also a mechanic for growing and improving the status of the tribe, improving the three "ability scores" of the runners, and resolving the inevitable attack by the zombies on the tower-like office building where the tribes live.

I'll have to see if I can find the PDF we made of the rules, and maybe I'll do a write-up for the game in the next few days to see if there's interest.  I know of one player already who will join us.

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:01:22 PM »
I did a little more searching and decided that something a little more traditional was in order.

Call of Cthulhu anyone?

The Lurking Horror at Middleton

Offline Dame Eldgeth

• Grey Council
  • Viscount
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 12:09:47 AM »
As long as I can use the Quick Start rules downloaded from the Chaosium site.  This is one of the games where I do not own a copy of the Real Actual Rules.  I just, well, kinda play along and to heck with the rules.

Offline MysticalNun

• GamesMasters
  • Squire
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 12:22:35 AM »
That should be no problem at all.  I will add the link to that PDF to my game ad. 

I'm actually not very far from where you are, rules-wise.  I've played in three long-term CoC stories (two by chat and one PbP), and I still wouldn't consider myself an "expert" on the rules.  Probably far from it.   :)  There will be some violence in this game, so the rules will come into play, but we should be able figure things out.   ;)

Offline Dame Eldgeth

• Grey Council
  • Viscount
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 12:27:13 AM »
Violence?  As in "get all the dynamite you can carry plus a shotgun"?

Boom!  Boom!

Offline rafmeister

• GamesMasters
  • Earl
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »
     All I know about Cthulu is that you never, ever cast "Summon Ralph Tiatne".

RPGNow.com