Author Topic: (IC) Chapter Four: Second Flight  (Read 11035 times)

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
Re: (IC) Chapter Four: Second Flight
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2007, 06:34:54 AM »
The eeriness of the bones weighs heavily on Kamu's mind at first, but by the time he has reached the bridge, he is almost back to normal.  He looks about to ensure no other person is in sight, then kneels to closely peer at the twine that lashes together the logs to form the bridge.  This twine, too, indicates that people dwell here; and if they had the presence of mind to build log bridges, then surely they could not be monsters, regardless of the strange bones.

Kamu straightens and looks across the bridge thoughtfully.  As much as he wants to meet those who dwell on Agatti, he knows he needs to seek the herbs first.  Once Monuau's gull had been tended to, he would return -- and see what Monuau had to say about the bones.  Yet no herbs had presented themselves thus far.  Kamu hopes that they will come to light here in the swamps, and hopefully before their path crossed that of any other person.

The tough grasses and occasional floodings here would choke out the gentler herbs; Kamu knows he has to seek different ground if he is to find what was needed.  Frowning slightly, he tests the log bridge with one foot, seeing if it will take his weight before moving across it.
"The people would cheer just as loudly were I to be hanged."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »
The logs themselves seem quite solid, but their moorings on "floating" roots on both ends give the whole a bit of spring, you feel confident of crossing, but one at a time. It's about 8' across the channel.
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »
Kamu glances back at the others and makes sign for "One by One".  With that done, he takes off the hard-soled boots that have been silently annoying him all this time.  Flexing his cramped toes and sighing softly in relief, he walks across the log bridge, holding them in one hand, the Peace Staff in the other, his bow slung across his back.  His normally-bare feet are more secure on the wood than the hard bottoms of the boots would have been, and despite the uncertainty of not yet finding any herbs at all, the alarming dried-blood-color bone wind chimes behind them and how close they might be to running into someone before they had found the herbs they sought, Kamu smiles, more than a little pleased to just finally be out of the hot confines of the riding boots.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:54:31 AM by Wentil »

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
Your feet feel liberated, and you're glad to be free of those pinchy boots and their hard heels.

You flex toes a moment, then cross the bridge. Other than a bit of bounce, it is indeed quite sturdy. The others follow suit, and after crossing spend a few moments putting on their moccasins.

The trail proceeds as before, but after a short bit, it begins to climb slightly, and the vegitation on the ground begins to get more varied.

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2007, 12:23:10 AM »
Kamu looks about with interest, trying hard to spot any herbs he might recognize as the trio move forward.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2007, 04:23:30 AM »
Taking the trail north to the islet, the upward sloping ground the mangrove ends and more light leads to more plants, you do not see any herbs in the low growth in the edge of the trees. You can now see further also. The main mass of the islet is ahead, the slope nearly a cliff, with the path you are on leading 50' off to the bottom of a switchback trail up the face. The cliff is about 150' high, and there are around a dozen turns on the path, you're not sure, you can't see them all at this angle. Another lashed log bridge crosses a break in the cliff about halfway up, bridging a gap of about 12'.

Down here, there are clumps of tall growth scattered about. Most are clumps of bamboo 5-10' in diameter. . .some thin 5' tall grasslike clumps, some over 20' tall clumps of 2-3" thick poles. . . at the northeastern and northwestern corners of this gradually sloped area, dense tangles of larger Bamboo obscure the edges of the cliff as it curves around and down toward the sea.

Scattered around are similar sized clumps of Hemp growing over your head. . .some of it's flowering, you'd need a cauldron to boil armloads of it to get enough hemp pitch to drug an animal the size of the gull. . .and that would take a day or more.

The obvious path is packed, smooth dirt, but you see lots of track and sign in the ankle high grass all over this area. . less defined but old semi-paths, recently crushed grass. . .here and there your eye catches other things. . .a small pile of broken pottery off to one side, what looks like a torn wicker basket lid stuck in one of the bamboo clumps. . .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:25:37 AM by Celedor »

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2007, 03:09:30 AM »
Kamu's unease grows slowly with every step, as he does not want to encounter anyone while the injured gull and Monuau are stranded on the beach.  The presence of the wicker and pottery he has seen thus far is both reassuring and troubling in this aspect.  Yet and still, he has seen nothing really suitable in terms of Herbs thus far; the only options beyond returning in defeat are to go further forward, up the switchback or try and find a way through the bamboo down towards the sea.  He holds up a hand, signaling a stop, and hunkers down to consult with his companions.

"Look there, and there." he murmurs softly to them, pointing to the pottery and wicker bits.  "I think we are getting closer to a village.  I do not think we should make contact until Monuau and his gull have been tended to; but if we get much closer, I think we are going to do so.  I ask you now, what do you think?  Should we stray from this path, and try to get down towards the sea, still looking for these herbs?  Or should we press on this path?  If we encounter anyone, we will be delayed, and this will not help Monuau or the gull."

His brown eyes seek each of theirs in turn, worry for Monuau and the gull compressing his lips into a thin line.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
Kaihiku "More than half the day is gone, we gotta get the others off that beach before dark."

Woanu "Villiage might have the herbs you need, if we have something to trade."

Kaihiku "If they want to trade" spits.

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2007, 04:46:13 PM »
Kamu nods grimly, for the approaching fall of night worries him, as well.

"Those bones, and the fact that we couldn't see any other villages from the air, is very strange." he murmurs to them, frowning. "It may be that our plan of pretending to be from another village may not be believed; but... you're right. We are running out of time. A village would have ther herbs we seek. The real question is, will they try to stop us from leaving, once we arrive?"

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Woanu "Not much we could do, three against an entire village. . ."

Kaihiku "We can fight if we need to, or run if we need to, but we don't know." Looks back toward the beach. "If that bird can't fly, we're going to have to find a place for Moanu to stay, or abandon him on his own when we leave."

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2007, 07:51:43 PM »
Kamu stays squatting, lost in thought.  No matter how he looks at it, the answers to what has happened to Agatti, as well as knowledge of whether the other riders are in peril on the beach, lays ahead, in the village.  To return in ignorance might lead to the death of the entire party; especially if the woods harbored dangers, for trapped between the sea and the forest, there would be no room to escape if set upon with speed.

Kamu stands up once more, then looks at his companions.  "The answers we seek lay ahead, not behind." he says.  "Come, let us make haste.  If there is danger already upon the beach, we cannot leave our friends there.  Let us seek out the village, and see what they have to say."

Turning, he continues onwards toward the second log bridge, his pace noticeably faster than before.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2007, 10:13:05 PM »
We reach the end of chapter 4. I need to do a few rolls, and post the first entry of chapter 5.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk