Author Topic: (IC) Chapter Three: Flight Leader  (Read 6184 times)

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
Re: (IC) Chapter Three: Flight Leader
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 07:17:55 PM »
Kamu nods thoughtfully.  "But, even so, here we can say, 'I'm from the Swamps' or at least have the name of the village." he says.  "But you may be right, Monuau.  We might just say that we're travelling.  We might not even be questioned at all, and this might never come up.  But whatever we say together, we must also say apart.  So if we are posing as brothers, or if we have a family name, or something that we agree to give, we should all know the story, and be able to hold to it."

He turns back to the signs in the sand and sighs.  There is so much to think of, so many things that could go awry.  How to possibly plan for all of them?
"The people would cheer just as loudly were I to be hanged."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 06:05:52 PM »
Monuau "The Agatti I speak of is from the stories of 20 years ago, who knows what it looks like now."

Woanu shrugs. "Who can say. On the map is looks only a little bigger than Kani, I can't think there'd be many more strangers there than here. I think we're better off sneaking than trying to pretend that way."

Kahiku throws up his hands "We can always fight or run if we have to! Once we're on the gulls, who'd catch us?"
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
Kamu laughs quietly.  "We have to take the time that we have now, and think of what could happen, and how to best meet it if it does." he says.  "Of course, we will try to sneak.  But if spotted, or questioned, we should be calm and friendly, have simple answers at hand, and we should be able to go on our way without problems.  We don't want to be forced to either fight or run -- we are not going to Agatti to do either of those things.  We are going to deliver a message from the Elders of Kami.  If we can do that smoothly and calmly, without anyone other than the Elders of Agatti knowing that we have come, then we will have done our task well."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
Kahiku "Seems we spent the last year running, climbing, fighting and flying."

Woanu seems to be loosing patience as he turns to him "Be good to know we can do those if we can't sneak or talk. . . .do you listen?"

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2007, 05:44:25 AM »
Kamu raises a hand to forestall an argument, and explains, although a bit of his annoyance at Kahiku and his insult to Lohanu still smolders deep inside him.  He keeps it well-hidden, though.  "Kahiku, I have spent some time thinking on the words of the Elders." he says. "I was surprised to see their hesitance, and to hear mention of problems in the past between Kami and Agatti.  Although I have seen there are people on Agatti, we do not know what sort of welcome we will receive there.  To fight is to risk injury or death; we should avoid it if we can.  To approach those who could be hostile to us risks capture; with capture could come death, either slow or quick.  Yet we must approach them; it is the reason we go to Agatti."

Kamu shakes his head.  "I hope none of this will be necessary." he says.  "But, if it is, we must be prepared, or we will be found wanting."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »
Kahiku looks sulky, Woanu looks smug, the rest look at you.

Monuau "I think this is a good start, but I have to agree that we know less than we don't, which is the normal way of things."

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »
Kamu turns Monuau's words around silently in his head until they make sense, then he nods.

"Let us talk now of the approach." he suggests, stepping back to stand by the map.  "When I drew near to Agatti, and saw the smoke and cleared areas through the distance-fog, I did not draw near enough to see what would be the best place to land.  Once I saw there were people on Agatti, I turned at once to let the Elders know, and to plan this next step."

He looks down at the map thoughtfully.  "Most of the people of Kami are near the ground, and few near the sky." he says, speaking of the cliffs and peaks against the valleys and swamps.  "I think we should look for cliff-tops or isolated, high areas upon which to land, first.  Failing that, we should try and find clear areas away from large settlements.  I think it is important that we keep the Gulls secret until we know what has happened to Agatti since last it was known, and until we see how the letter of the Elders is received."

He looks up from the map to regard the others.  "What think you?" he asks.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 04:16:40 PM »
Nods all around.

Monuau "What of the elder's request that we secure the hunting isles? Will we be splitting up, or will that be next?"

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2007, 03:36:35 AM »
Kamu looks thoughtfully at the map for a moment.

"There is no need to secure them, nor anyone to secure them from, for the hungry and violent seas border them upon all sides." he points out.  "They are inhabited solely by the hidden beasts of the forests and the countless numbers of sea lions upon their shores.  It would be dangerous for us to divide ourselves among these tasks, as Agatti poses many unknown dangers, and the Hunting Isles, few or none.  Yet, when the Elders break from their Council and give us the letter to carry to Agatti upon the morrow, I will ask them what they would have us do with the Hunting Islands.  If they bid us to do other than carry the letter to Agatti, we will of course, do as they bid."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »
Monuau looks thoughtful. "Well, he said to do it, but he didn't say when, so I think it's up to us, well, you."

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
Kamu strokes his chin as he ponders what the Elders could have meant, unknowingly the very image of his Father, who was given to the same action when deep in thought.

"As to the task of bringing the Hunting Islands back into shape," he finally says, "the buildings and break-water seemed to be intact, although overgrown by the forest.  Some tools may have survived.  There will be much cutting-back of growth and work to be done there -- and no small task it will be.  Delivering the letter is a more important task, and -- I would hope -- more quickly done.  So unless the Elders say otherwise, my decision is that it will be Agatti first."

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
Nods and grunts of agreement all around, then a pregnant pause.

Kahiku "I'm hungry, we should ask for dinner."

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »
Kamu claps in hands in cheerful agreement.  "Let us do just that!" he says, delighted at the prospect.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »
Kahiku pops to his feet, and saunters out the door. You can hear him talking outside, but cannot make out the words.

Monuau, who's been deep in thought since your last exchange. "When the time comes to establish claims on other islands, I'll need a day's notice to get the materials together, other than that, I see no problems with waiting on it."

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »
Kamu looks at Monuau, slightly puzzled, but realizes belatedly that there must be something to do with the Spirits involved in the retaking of the Hunting Islands.  What that might be, he has no idea, since surely no other persons beyond those of Kami had come to the Hunting Islands since, but surely Monuau and the Elders knew better than he what was Right and Proper.  He nods, and makes a hand-sign of agreement and acceptance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk