Author Topic: House rules in play, and rules questions  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
  • "Don't mistake my white hat for stupid."
House rules in play, and rules questions
« on: January 06, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
One handed spear use

Spears and javalins are 1HD weapons, but still "Pole arm" class, used 2HD they get a +10 OB bonus.

Casters and SLA

You may buy ranks in a list up to your level.
Each rank is equal to 1 level on the list. i.e. if you have 5 ranks in a list, you know spells 1-5.

Overcasting and Magical Rituals

You cannot learn a list over your level, so you cannot normally overcast. All overcasting will be done via the Magical Ritual skill, which means it will take roleplaying, preperation, and time.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:26:54 PM by Celedor »
If You're Just Lost and Don't Know Where to Start, [Click Here]

If you're having a forum problem [Click Here] and post in Job Tickets

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
Re: House rules in play, and rules questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »
Flat DP

40 DP per level

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
Essentially not using the companions. I needed the Shaman for plot/setting reasons, but am avoiding anything else unless I have good reason. This includes the "Skill at magic" and "Skill at arms" background option tables.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:32 AM »
Hobby skills

4 rank primary hobby 2 rank secondary

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:32:18 AM »
Mounted Combat

It takes 100% activity for a person to remain on a moving mount.

This is reduced by riding skill, so a person with a 25% riding bonus is spending 75%(100-25) remaining in their seat.

This means you must have at LEAST a +50% riding bonus to make an attack while mounted. A normal missle attack, or a -50 melee attack (Likely plus charging bonuses).

Once you hit 100% riding bonus, you "ride effortlessly" and can take full actions at no penalties while in the saddle.

Offline Wentil

• Viscount
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:10:35 AM »
What if you don't have enough to make a full attack, but you are willing to make an attack at a penalty?

In other words, a person with a 25% riding bonus would be able to make a missile attack, but at -50, reduced by +2 for every +1 over 25 in their skill bonus?
"The people would cheer just as loudly were I to be hanged."

Offline Xanalor

• Supreme Chancellor of Europe
  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Purple Sash
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:09:44 AM »
I'm a little confused by the list learning. Let's say I'm third level semi-spell user and I have so far learned spells in three different lists. (As is the case with Indaru, although based on your interpretation I may need to change some things.) When I get to level 4, how does it work? Are you saying I am only allowed to expand 1 list by 1 level? In which case the max I could spend is 4 dp? Or can I still spend 4 dp in each of my three lists, and spend additional dp to learn spells in one new list? The latter lakes more sense to me...if it's the former there are going to be alot of levels with wasted DP, and I would never be able to keep more than one list current, which also seems odd.

Let me know how it's supposed to work...if you want to use specifics, consider my Bard, who wants to learn spells from a total of three lists, and given the costs, they are the only three lists I plan on spending any DP in for at least the next several levels.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:22:25 AM »
Wentil

Missile attacks are "all or nothing" they require 50% activity, you can't really rush them, the same thing would apply on foot. . .you move up 50% then fire your bow (Or fire your bow, then move up 50%), you can't "half fire" a bow. The logic is imperfect, firing a crossbow should be say 20% action, but that's just the way it is.

Melee attacks are 50-100% actions. . .you could move 20%, then attack 80% (at -20), any combination that adds up to 100%. So at 50% riding you could make a 50% attack (at -50) and spend the other 50% of your attention controlling your mount . .in exchange, your mount can move 100%, so it's almost like you got 150% activity in a round. At 100% riding your mount can full move while you effortlessly execute perfect attacks as if standing still.

Those rules presume your mount is moving. . . .if your gull lands, and is standing, you can fire from it's back normally.

Them's just the breaks of being 3rd level rather than 5th. (If we were playing knights and horses, and you grew up around horses, you'd have taken 2 ranks of riding every level from 0, have 8 ranks at 3rd and a +40 skill bonus, toss in a +10 skill bonus background option for +50, and even without a stat or level bonus you'd be making attacks while mounted, hence lifelong training and squire apprenticeship.)

The whole gull riding thing is brand new to you and your culture, if you get a +50 riding bonus going, you'll be the first person ever to execute an attack from gull back, you'll make it into the legends. (The charging bonuses, when applied to gull flight speeds, would make a mounted spear lancing attack likely VERY fatal, just remember to let go of the lance.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:54:03 PM by Celedor »

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
Power Points:

All characters have 10 PP "Base"
You get your realm stat/10 as a bonus to your base.
You then get your realm stat increment x level as you go up. (Usually 1 to 3 per level)

The bonus to base and level based points can be casually cast, but your base points will kick your 'arse'.

Every quarter you cast down will result in -25 penalties.

So casting down from 10 will feel VERY draining.

At below 3/4, 7 PP left, you'll be at -25 to all actions.
At below 1/2, 4 PP left, you'll be at -50 to all actions.
At below 1/4, 2 PP left, you'll be at -75 to all actions.
At 0 PP you will be at -100 to all actions and "Down". . .you'll be awake, but incapable of standing up or anything other than feeble conversation.

As an example, near the end of Chapter 5, Monuau has 5 PP left and is already very tired and at -25 to all actions.

He casts "Heal I" three times on Kamu, costing 1 PP each. Luckily they are healing spells, so Base Spell Casting, so you only fail on an UM 01-02.

After the first "Heal I" he was at 4 pp and -50.
After the third "Heal I" he was at 2 PP and -75.

Offline Celedor

• Crown Prince
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
Power Perception

No such skill. Any semi or pure caster, or any non who develops spells or has reason to be magically sensitive, can just attempt to perceive magic using General Perception.

Only large scale, overt effects will be visible, and may take the form of other senses. (The hair on your neck stands up as you aproach the glowing crystal.) Not sensing magic doesn't mean it's not there, and strange feelings might end up having nothing to do with magic, it's not a reliable sense.

For regular, reliable magic perception, take a detection or lore list, and use a detection spell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk