• My website
Rules
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:24:23 AM »
    Rolemaster Miniguide
    First go read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolemaster 

Ok now we can begin with some details.   

Stats
    There are 10 stats: 
    • Constitution (Co) is the physical health of the character. Similar to d20 Con. 
    • Agility (Ag) is the manual dexterity and litheness. Similar to d20 Dex. 
    • Self Discipline (SD) is the control of mind over body, the ability to push harder in pursuit of some goal. 
    • Eloquence (El) is the mental capacity for making decisions quickly. 
    • Memory (Me) is just that, memory capacity, but I have replaced it with eloquence since usually it is the memory of the player and not the character that is more important. See RMC III section 5.6 for more information 
    • Reasoning (Re) is the ability to absorb, comprehend and categorize data for future use. Als the ability to draw logical conclusions. Similar to d20 Int. 
    • Strength (St) is not brute musculature but the ability to use existing muscles to their maximum. Similar to d20 Str. 
    • Quickness (Qu) is essentially a measure of reflexes and conscious reaction time. 
    • Presence (Pr) is the control of one's own mind, courage, bearing, charisma and the ability to use these to effect and control others. Similar to d20 Cha. 
    • Intuition (In) A combination of luck, insight and favor of the gods. 
    • Empathy (Em) is the relationship of the character to the all pervading force that is common to all things natural.

Stats have a value between 1-100, with the average person having stats around 50. Average adventurers will have stats of 70 and above. In this game you reroll stats below 50. A stat also has a potential value which tells what value a stat can have at maximum. Each level up you roll stat gain rolls to see how much a stat increases or decreases. 

The first five stats are called development stats and they are important in determining of how much a character can advance in his skills when he increases in level. 

Skills 
    In Rolemaster there are many many skills. The skills cover everything from climbing to Knowledge about dragons, to leadership and magic knowledge. Spells are also sort of skills. 

Each skill has a skill rank, and a skill rank gives a rank bonus. In addition to the skill rank bonus one adds the average of the stats involved. And then one might also have a level bonus due to profession. 

To develop more ranks in a skill one spends development points according to the skill cost. A typical skill cost might look like 2/6. This means that to buy one rank one spends 2 development points, and to buy two ranks at one level one spends 6 more points for a total of 8. For this skill one can not buy more then 2 ranks per level. Some skills allow for three ranks (e.g. 1/2/2) or an indefinite amount, like 2/*. This means that one can buy as many ranks as one has development points. So if you would buy 4 ranks it would cost 8 development points. 

Professions 
    Each character has one profession. A character's profession reflects the fact that his early training and apprenticeship have molded his thought patterns, there by reflecting his ability to learn certain skills. A profession does not prohibit a character from developing any skill it merely makes it harder to learn skills that are not directly related to the profession and makes it easier to learn skills that are of direct use in his chosen profession. Any character can learn any skill in this system. 

Each profession has two prime stats. These are the stats that are the most important for the profession. They are guaranteed to be at least 90. 

Magic 
    There are 3 realms of magic. Essence, Channeling and Mentalism. Each of these come from a different source. Essence is that which is common to all things living and dead, organic and inorganic. Channeling is the power of the gods channeled through their followers. Mentalism is the magic realm in which the casters use their minds to unleash the power potential within each one. 

Spells are organized in spell lists of spells with a common theme. To learn spells one must learn all weaker spells from the same list first. Pure magic using professions have 10 base lists and have full access to open and closed lists. Hybrid magic users also have 10 base lists but they combine two realms of power, and thus have full access to pen and limited access to closed lists. Semi spell users have 6 base lists and have limited access to open lists of their realm. Non-spell users only have a limited access to open lists for their realm. It is possible to access other lists as well but at very expensive DP (development points) cost.

Individual Spell Development

These optional rules present a new system of spell acquisition based upon a spell by spell (rather than a list by list) theory.

NOTE: The concept of paying Development Points for a chance at receiving a whole block of spells may seem incongruous to some GMs. Some GMs have referred to it as: "being like having a Thief pay l development point (DP) in order to get a 5% chance of receiving Stalk and Hide to level 10!" In addition, for low level campaigns when level advancement is slow, Magicians must have more versatility in order to survive, especially when considering the lack of power of Rolemaster's 1st level magic users.

A big advantage that this system offers is increased flexibility. For players, the flexibility is obvious as magic using characters have a more varied selection of spells. Since they pay only for the spells they will use there are fewer wasted DPs. GMs will also appreciate the new system: as always, new lists can be introduced, but now GMs have the option of introducing singular "non-list" spells into their campaigns.
    The mechanics of the system are not complex:
    • Spells are purchased individually at costs determined by the Spell Development Cost Chart (1/* for pure and hybrid users, 4/* for semi spell users). Any number of spells may be acquired at one level.
    • Spells must be purchased in order of level, so to learn a 50th level spell, the rest of the list must be learned first.
    • At a level, a pure or hybrid spell used may select spells from up to 6 different lists; a semi-user from 4, and a non-user from only one per Power Points gained each level (round up).
    • If a spell list has no spell for a particular level, that "slot" must still be purchased. The cost to buy a blank slot is 1 DP for all classes. The cost is cumulative though with consecutive "slots" purchased for that
      character level. Buying 2 slots in a row without a spell would cost 3: 1 + (1 + 1). Buying 3 would cost 6, etc. A character never pays more for an empty slot than he would for a spell of the same level, so actually most pure and hybrid users will pay only 1 DPs for "empty slots" of levels 1-10.
    Character Creation
    Stats
    Temporary Stats
    Roll 10 x 1D100, discarding anything below 50
    Roll potential stats using thes guidelines:
    If stat is 50-69 Roll 1D30 and add 70 to it. This is your Potential.
    If the stat is 70-89 Roll 1D20 and add 80 to it. This is your potential.
    If the stat is 90-100 Roll 1D10 and add 91 to it. This is your potential.

Now assign stats. Remember that you can increase the prime stats of your profession to 90/reroll potential

Now that your stats have been rolled and assigned it is time to select background options. I use the rules in RMC IV. If you don't have access to it you can roll for random or ask me to suggest suitable.

Ok now it is time to calculate development points for your character. If you use the recordsheet at http://wolf.bergenheim.net/rpg/campaign/rm2/zodiac this will be done automatically. If not then use the DP costs from RMC I and multiply the total by 1.5.

This is how much you can use to buy skill ranks for this level. This is rounded with normal rounding rules.

Skills
    To buy skill ranks you look at the skill costs and choose how many ranks you want to buy. A skill cost can either be a single number, like 3 or two numbers like 2/7 or three numbers like 1/2/2. You can only buy that many ranks during one level of development. The costs say how many development points that rank costs. So if you buy 2 ranks for a skill with a cost of 2/7 then you would pay 2+7=9 development points to increase your skill by 2 ranks.

Once you have expended all your DP for the adolescence level you will need do increase your character to level one:

Leveling up [ol type=\'1\']
    • See which stats increase by making stat gain rolls. Use the normal method.
    • Recalculate your DP. (the recordsheet does it automatically)
    • Buy skill ranks for your skills.

Once you are done you are level 1. Now you need to repeat this to become level 2 then 3 then 4 and finally level 5. The recordsheet should do all the calculations automatically. If you are not using it you have to do all those tedious calculations by hand. It's pretty simple but time-consuming. If more then one stat bonus is listed for a skill you average the stat bonuses of all stats mentioned. I use the smoothed stat bonus presented in RMC I section 4.4. I also use this to calculate base PP and development points. To get the level bonus you simply multiply you character level by the level bonus (either +1, +2 or +3), which depends on profession.

Now you just add the rank bonus, the stat bonus and the level bonus plus any other special bonuses to get the total skill bonus. The first 10 ranks give a rank bonus of +5 the 10 following that give +3 and the rest of the ranks give +1 per rank. In RM terminology I use a 5-3-1 skill rank progression. There are a few exceptions to this:
    Body Development gives a rank bonus equal to the rolled hit points depending on race. Skeed use 1D8, Humans use 1D10 or 1D8 depending on the race, etc.
    Power Point Development gives a bonus of 1D5 per skill rank.
    Movement in armor gives +5 for every rank, but you only need to develop so much as to overcome the maximum maneuver penalty to the minimum. Leather armor uses Ag as the stat while metal armor uses St as the stat.

Spell lists
    I use individual spell development, but with these exceptions
    • Skill costs are the regular costs published in Spell Law and RMC II, that is 1/* for pure and hybrid users, 4/* for semi spell users and varying single costs for non-spell users.
    • A pure/hybrid/arcane spell caster can learn spells from 6 lists in one level
    • A semi-spell caster can learn from 4 lists in one level
    • Non-spell caster can learn spells from 1 list per PP#, rounded up. i.e. if he has 90 in his PP stat he can learn spells from 2 (1.5 rounded up) lists in one level.

Power Point development
    Use this formula for calculating power points:

(Lvl x PP# + [Learned PP]) x (1.0 + [PP Stat bonus] / 100)

So if you are an Essence spell user of level 5 and have 90 in EM it would give you 1.5 PP / level and you have say 10 ranks in PP development of 3 PP on the average per rank. This would give you (5x1.5 + 30) x (1.0 + 15/100) = 37.5 x 1.15 = 43 PP
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:26:49 PM by Mr Wolf »

"As for it, there is a what-if."

Offline Sir Wolf

• Baronet
    • I might bite!
      • My website
    Rules
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:21:09 AM »
    Allegiances

Each character should have 3 allegiances. The can be as generic / specific as you wish. Here are some examples:
    • The company
    • Knowledge - means you are out to find more knowledge
    • Emperor and / or Empire (for you who feel patriotic)
    • Money (if you are greedy ;))

More examples can be found in the d20 Modern srd (See you can combine d20 and Rolemaster :P)

Anyway I require that you all have one allegiance as "The Church of AĆ©trone". You have a free choice of the other 2. Each allegiance has 3 possible "ranks". A rank is awarded each time your character acts in a way that really reflects one of the allegiances, you get a rank in it. Once you have 3 ranks in each allegiance you get a "bonus level" Meaning that you get as much exp. points as is needed to get to the next level.

Then the slate is wiped clean and you start over. You can never have more then 3 ranks in any allegiance. You can also switch at any time, but then that allegiance starts fresh. If you act totally opposite to your allegiance I might ask you to switch to a new one ;). Also you can also nominate one of your co-players for a rank, in case I missed something.

Questions? No? Good :) Can you please mark your allegiances  into your characterbackground.
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:01:21 PM by Mr. Wolf »

"As for it, there is a what-if."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk