Author Topic: Shien Keep  (Read 2553 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:55:02 AM »
It had been a dull and misty morning, no different to many others that had preceeded it. The light mist being whipped from the battlements of the small keep that the Hammarkel clan called home by a soft northerly breeze.

Sitting upon a low hill overlooking the small town of Shien and it's harbour, the keep was ringed by a earthen rampart and a shallow dry moat.

Atop its battlements pondered a heavy-set bearded figure, the few guards appeared at pains to avoid him.

Hunris Hammarkal, Lord of Shien had been up for hours, something had been playing upon his mind for weeks. At supper last night a plan had formed in his mind. What that plan was noone could tell and he hadn't told anyone. He looks out across the narrow starit of water towards Eisen, straining he could see the busier town, much bigger that Shien.

He muttered to himself, then apparently having resolved an internal conflict, strode off down the stairs into the keep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each of the players are summoned to a meeting in the Great Hall (not Grafton/Xerb).

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »
Lord Hunris looks impatiently at the entrance to the great hall.. finally he calls over to a guard.

"Go fetch my idle sons to me....and say it will be in their best interests..." he says with a scowl..."Oh, and call Balthus as well...this concerns him too."

Offline talking_fish

  • Page
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • http://
Shien Keep
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:50:56 AM »
Balthus

Balthus walks into the Great Hall, still wiping the bread crumps from his tunic.

"My Lord, I'm sorry for my delay at arriving.  It was such a lovely day that I went for a walk into town this morning and have only recently arrived back.  I'm sorry for any delay that I have caused.  I was getting some food when your message arrived."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »
Hunris's mood appears to lighten slightly, though it seems as if he is still somewhat concerned about something..

"Ah, yes..Balthus...It seems that you are not the only one who is tardy today..." he pause to reflect.

"The weather, yes rather fine for this time of year...when the mists clear you can almost see across the Fjord..it is good to feel the early morning air.."

Offline Kalu

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
Shien Keep
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:51:07 AM »
Ottar, Peoni monk

Panting heavily, Ottar bursts into the hall. His hands and knees are smeared with mud, but he doesn't seem to notice that.
"I came as quickly as I could," he breaks of to catch his breath. "But I was in one of the far-away fields..."

After a short while, he straightens up and looks at Balthus and his father. "Is anything the matter?"
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 02:48:23 PM »
"Anything the matter...?" Lord Hunris sits back on the large carved chair which he uses to conduct interveiws and audiences "no, nothing of a worrying nature...just something I thought you, your brother and Balthus might be interested in investigating for me.." he smiles a smile you think in a way that a fox might smile at a chicken....

"Anyway, where is your brother.. ah, um...Xerius? Playing tricks or dreaming again with the servants I suppose, well he obviously isn't here now, but he'll be involved too, so you can inform him when you see him..."

"As you may have known, we had taken an area of land to the East of here, in the foothills along the coast. A keep there had been all but destroyed prior to the invasions, and to be frank, served no other purpose than to guard the approaches to Shien....a folly really, since any invader could simply bypass it, then deal with it from its landward side, either by force or by seige. We destroyed it, because it was sheltering Jarin troops, who refused to surrender, and left it in ruins. It just wasn't worth the effort to rebuild or salvage the masonry, yes masonry, used in its construction...though I think the locals may have stolen some for buidling walls and outhouses the majority is still there." he stops snaps his fingers and a servant brings him a mug of ale...he dosen't speak for a few moments letting the facts seep in.

"About a two and a half years ago...maybe three years ago, a group of academics, who may have also had priests or monks among their number, applied for permission to build a sanctuary on the site. I agreed, it was of no great value to me, the land thereabouts is all but useless for farming. They offered a small stipend and agreed to a nominal rent. At the time, I was keen to have the resources of learned men to call upon so it was agreed that I personally or members of my household could use the facilities at the stite when it was completed.." he stops and takes another sip. "..at the time they seemed confiedent of completion within two years. The best part of three years have now past, and it is time to collect upon my investment..."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 02:50:47 PM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline talking_fish

  • Page
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • http://
Shien Keep
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »
Balthus

Balthus sits down, stretches his legs out and crosses them over at the ankles.

"Collecting rent from a group of academics sounds more like the work of the garrison.  But as my Lord wishes, we will depart for the site as soon as you wish.  May I ask my estemed Lord the work that these men might be working on?  For then this might become a more interresting venture."

Balthus raises an eyebrow and leans forwards.

Offline Kalu

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
Shien Keep
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
Ottar, Peoni monk

"I was in such a hurry to get here that I didn't notice Xerius on my way here, father, so I don't know where he is" Ottar says, seating himself next to Balthus.
"Balthus, my father is probably planning on collecting much more than just monetary wealth" he remarks, well aware that Lord Hunris never lets a chance of getting the most of a bargain get away easily. "So I wonder what he wants us to study there" he continues, looking expectantly at the Lord.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:02:09 PM by Kalu »
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 10:07:31 PM »
Lord Hunris smiles grimly..."Balthus you are right, tax collection should be done by tax inspectors...not other academics or diplomats..but as Ottar has mentioned I believe having them on my side as a resourceful ally would be a measurably greater asset than a few extra pennies in the coffers. No, I want you to see what they are doing and how far this endevour they have embarked upon has progressed."

He looks around again... "Still no Xerius? How disappointing my son can be.. GUARD! Go and find that idlebrain Loic and the absent Xerius, tell them they are going on a journey....and will be leaving at noon!"

He turns back to Balthus and Ottar "Good, so I have not been precise in my tasks for you, because I suspect that situations may arise which require you adapt what is required in the way of action..I will have you join a regular trading run to Erglar and Caelar down the coast, this sanctuary they have constructed I know little of, except that trade in that area is now unnaturally brisk for such a backwater."

He reaches into the folds and brings out a leather pouch and throw it to Bathus "Here, take this, it should bide the four of you well, for food, vittles and accomodation along the way...and perhaps some equipment should you have need of it...Now, any other questions?"

Offline talking_fish

  • Page
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • http://
Shien Keep
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
Balthus

After catching the pouch of money, Balthus makes a quick mental note of the contents before placing it within a pocket in his clothing.  Balthus scrathes his beard and asks

"You are very generous indeed, my Lord.  Are you sending just the four of us to converse with these people, or will we be accompanied by soldiers?"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 06:46:23 PM »
Lord Hunris replies after a little consideration..

"As I have said, you will be travelling with a merchant caravan, almost certainly the entire distance, they will have, I'm sure, have guards of their own along. I don't think that you will be in any danger when you arrive, and to send my own troops to escort you...well that might precipitate bad feelings with the academics..so No I'm afraid Loic will have to suffice..."

Offline Kalu

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
Shien Keep
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 11:26:43 AM »
Ottar, Peoni monk

"But why the discretion if you have an agreement with them already? Wouldn't it be better if you just summoned their leader here, so that he could inform you about their studies in addition to paying the rent?" Ottar asks looking concerned. "What is it exactly you want us to do, and what can we expect?"
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 04:44:34 PM »
The lord relaxes in his chair.. "Oh..Ottar, so trusting you are..." he gives a little laugh.

"Yes, I suppose I could just do that...but then I wouldn't know for sure what they were doing...No, that isn't entirely it either. I want you, my sons to become involved more fully...join this community if you can...and personally learn from them, I suppose you could consider it payment in kind..." He looks at those assembled.

"The original submission from them was to be allowed convert the ruins into a place of study...or place of research and contemplation, if this is what they have done then you are free to stay and study, this was to be my payment...if not, and more suspicious activities they plot then I want to know..." he rests his chin in the palm of his hand and leans forward, lowering his voice..

"There have been rumours of the rebels gathering a force to topple us and your great-uncle the King..."

Offline Kalu

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
Shien Keep
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
Ottar, Peoni monk

"I'll be happy to go there to get involved with this community and study what they have to offer, but if comes to dealing with rebels, I think it's better left to Loic and Balthus and others who are more capable at that." Ottar replies. "This sounds like something that would interest Xerius too, so I'll go and find him as soon as I have my leave. I'll be back here at noon."
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
"For truth, I doubt these academics have much to do with the rebels, son, from their initial secrecy, I believe at thier core there may be renegades from other lands...they seek shelter and I have given it. No..No..I feel they will not side with the rebel Jarin...the rebels seek to bring about the restoration of the old, superstitious ways...not like my own tolerant reign..." He says the later with no small amount of scorn in his voice.
"I let them practice their religions..and persecute them I do not. Better I feel to let them practice, willingly and openly...to do otherwise would incite religious rebellion, something this land can do without."

"Yes, Ottar, if on your travels you run into Xerius on your travels, let him know...his belongings are going on this journey, even though he aparently is unaware that he is....."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »
The Lord looks around...

"Why hasn't Loic arrived yet....GUARD!"

One of the nearby guards comes running in.

"Fetch me Loic...get him here NOW!" he says angrily... the guard turns and runs hurriedly away.

"It's bad enough I have to put up with tardiness from my own, without those waifs and strays I gave a home to.......idling my halls, eating my food...tis a good job HE will be going with you...!" he stops to think for a moment..

"PAAAH!!" he exclaims angrily.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
Lord Hunris, slouches back in his chair...

"Well, you two are free to go and prepare...should you run into the two slackers please inform them of their tasks...Loic is to act as your guard, once he gets there he should be able to find work doing...something, I care not what. And Xerius well, I'm sure he could find some people of like minds to idle with.." he finishes with a small amount of bitterness in his voice, then gets ready to leave.

Offline talking_fish

  • Page
  • *
  • Posts: 7
    • http://
Shien Keep
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »
Balthus

Balthus starts to stand up,

"We will leave now to seek out the others, and to prepare for the journey"

Balthus turns towards Ottar

"I just need to pick my things up from my room, is there anywhere you need to go to?"

Offline Kalu

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
Shien Keep
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
Ottar, Peoni monk

"I have a few things I want to bring along too, and as soon as I've done that, I'll go looking for Xerius" Ottar answers. "I'll meet you back here at noon."
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9610
Shien Keep
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 06:48:35 AM »
Sorry for my delay in posting...I will be moving this game along soon, closing this thread and re-opening the main game thread...

(I WILL be doing whatever is left to do equipment wise, spells etc this weekend!)

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk