Author Topic: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1  (Read 33199 times)

Offline Kalu

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2006, 11:54:52 AM »
Just as Lavi is about to knock on the door, it is opened by Master Callan, and a tall, slender man with short, curly, grizzled hair, and pale blue, alert eyes leaves the room. Callan thanks him and bids him a good night, and the man returns the bid in a pleasant, deep voice. He nods and smiles kindly at you as he passes you, even though he seems worried.

"Welcome to Aranastett," Callan says as he leads you into his office. "You're travelling from Tartasborg, right?" he asks, and continues to ask about how your trip was, being particularly concerned when you describe the Vuttish pirates.
"They usually don't venture this far South in the fall, so times must be really hard for them. I've heard that it's because of a very cold and wet summer..." he remarks thoughtfully.

Callan's office contains a large desk at one end and a large table with ten chairs at the other. A pile of large books lies on one side of the desk, and a large candlestick is placed on the other side. A chandelier is hanging from the ceiling, but currently the source of light in the room is the large colorful window behind the desk - it depicts a boat filled with people, which is sailing from the dark, stormy ocean towards a sun-bathed shore - through which stream the last rays of the setting sun. The walls are covered with richly colored tapestries and a couple of bookcases filled with large books.

After a bit of more pleasant conversation, during which Callan praises the sunny weather that they've had here lately, and urges you to visit the large market at the great Karinia Square when you arrive at Selaset, he gestures at two heavy, wooden chairs placed in front of the desk, and then seats himself in his own chair behind the desk.
"I hear that you've come to offer your help investigating what has happened at Svertcliff, and I'm very grateful for that! I've already spoken to our priest Ervoni, whom you saw leaving, and he's agreed to send his son there too. He knows the area very well, and with you two volunteers, there will be no need to call other men from their jobs for the investigation. Ervoni's son will be here tomorrow at sunrise; it will take a little less than half a day to walk to Svertcliff, so you should be back by nightfall. Now, I'm sure you have a lot of questions - I'll do my best to answer them..."
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He shifts restlessly in the unaccustomed luxury within the room.

At least until the invitation to asks questions is made.

"sir, the trip was pleasent enough...though not one that particualrly agrees with me. I would have preferred to travel by foot..anyway..." his face become a bit more serious.

"Do you know of any reason that anyone would want to discourage anyone from coming here...if as you say, the pirates do not come this far south normally, I find it unlikely that they would have laid this ploy...especially since they appeared as discouraged by the warning as the crew of the ship upon which I was travelling...?"

Offline Kalu

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2006, 09:34:39 AM »
Callan thinks for a short while before replying.
"I've also had these thoughts, but even now I cannot come up with any answers. There are no towns in this area that can or even want to compete with Aranastett when it comes to trading with larger ships, and in general this town has no enemies - that I'm aware of - who would do this. I'm sorry to say, but my only reasonable guess is that Old Osgal has lost his mind."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Old Osgal?...I've heard the name, can't say I know much more about him?, than that. Could you tell me a bit more about him?" he asks.

Offline Kalu

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »
"Osgal is the oldest brother of Ervoni - the priest, you remember. He's always been a bit backwards...
When his family converted to Aulorism, he stuck with the old ways of Shamanism. Over the years, Aranastett flourished and grew with settlers arriving from the South. These newcomers found Osgal and his preachings of respect for the spirits a nuisance, and Osgal became more and more isolated with his religion. Eventually took the consequence and moved out to Svertcliff,"
Callan explains.
"I don't think he bears a grudge towards people here, though, that's not his nature, so what has happend certainly surprises me..."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2006, 09:05:10 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Ahhh.. Yes, I confess that the old ways I too follow" he says with a sympathetic look. "Perhaps I shall be able to help then..."

"Thank you. We shall see what is causing this problem, then return here soon..." he says rising from his seat..

"Ah yes, would there perhaps be any compensation  for our time? As we..." he indicates anyone else present... "Have little means of our own beside the equipment you see..."

Offline Kalu

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »
[Lavi] > Trading: 13 + 96 + 39 = 148

Callan looks you over for a while, thinks, and then agrees:
"Of course you have to be properly compensated. I shall have Lokmar show you to the store rooms so that you can borrow any equipment you expect to need. Horses will probably do you no good going to Svertcliff, though, so there'll be no need for that. Upon your return, I will pay you three bronze coins each, and a suitable bonus based on the outcome of your investigation.
Now, do you have any more questions that I can answer for you?"

[GM] > Note, 3 bp for one day's work is very reasonable.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2006, 07:19:36 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"That is most generous sir... No, unless anyone has any questions we are finished here...since I have none, at least none I suspect you know the answers to..." He smiles.

"We will meet the priests son tommorow morning outside the tavern..."

"I bid you farewell..." With this he leaves and heads for what passes as a tavern in Arannastett.

Offline salun

• Knight of the Purple Sash
  • Riddleseeker
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »
Johann, having nothing to add to the conversation, thanks Callan for the help, bids him a good day, and then leaves along with the others.
(OOC: how many are we actually in there? two or three travellers??)

(edit: typos)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 05:30:54 PM by salun »
Regards
Salun

My rpg-collection on RPGGeek.com

Offline Kalu

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2006, 02:28:47 PM »
As the two of you are leaving, Callan thanks you again, and reminds you to ask Lokmar to show you to the store rooms, if you need anything.

[GM] > Lokmar is the one-armed servant at the gate.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2006, 09:17:13 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Thank you sir, Yes we shall" he says bowing slightly and heading straight for the one-armed servant.

"Lockar?" he says to him, hoping that Callan hasn't got two servants with only one arm...

(OOC: Since he didn't notice this when he came in...)

"I might need some rope, some travel rations...and perhaps a spare quiver have you got these things?"

Offline Kalu

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2006, 10:08:59 PM »
"Th' Master sent ya?" Lokmar asks, looking you over. "Right then... Follow me," he continues, and heads over to another door in the courtyard, which he opens and holds for you. The room behind the door is dark, but as you approach the door, Lokmar tells you that there's a candle right next to the door that he'd like you to light.

Once the candle is lit, Lokmar takes it and walks around the room lighting other candles which are placed in niches in the walls. Soon there is enough light in the room to see that it contains a lot of boxes, crates and barrels, stacks and rolls of cloth, and lots of other things.

Having only one arm, Lokmar cannot fetch you all the things you want, but he certainly knows where everything is. "Rope's over 'ere with the climbing gear," he points, "an' ya can find a quiver and arrows there," he points to another place in the store room. "Travel rations won't be needed if yer just going to Svertcliff, but I'll have the cook make ya some lunch to bring with ya." He then looks at Johann, "what'll ya need, son?"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2006, 05:24:12 AM »
Lavi- Nord Male

"Yes, thank you kindly" he says smiling.

He then takes a good length of rope, the climbing gear and a spare quiver full of arrows...

Offline salun

• Knight of the Purple Sash
  • Riddleseeker
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »
"Well, an extra rope might come in handy, but other than that, I don't really know" Johann pauses and looks around "As I don't know what to expect of the travel there, I was wondering if You've got any recomendations?"
Regards
Salun

My rpg-collection on RPGGeek.com

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »
Lavi- Nord Male

"Perhaps some healing herbs?" he suggests "My own skill with them is adequate, but we may need them.."

Offline Kalu

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »
"It's the season for rain and cold winds, so heavy woolen cloaks will probably come in handy. They're over here," Lokmar says, pointing to a pile of neatly folded woolen fabric. "And though I doubt you'll find any need for healing herbs, I'll ask the cook for that too."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Yes, those unused to it will need the...and thank you, I shall have one too.." he says taking one of the cloaks.

"True there may not be a need for healing herbs but we do not know what awaits us..."

Offline Kalu

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
Having finished making the arrangement for the trip tomorrow with Lokmar, you head back to the ship. Here you're greeted by the huge sailor Vero, who directs you to go to one of the warehouses. The captain has made an arrangement with the harbormaster that you can stay there instead of on the ship. Vero is the only one who has been ordered to watch the ship this evening, and he's not all that pleased with that disposition. He vows to catch up the next evening, though!

Over at the warehouse, the sailors and the passengers have set up a rudimentary camp, and they're just about to start eating when you arrive. One of the sailors has cooked a good stew, and with everyone expecting to have a good night's sleep in the hay, the spirits are high and the talking is cheerful. Later that evening, the talking turns into tale telling and singing, and everyone seems to be merry.

Vero wakes you up the next morning shortly before sunrise. He has been on guard all night and is grumpy that nobody has come to take over, so while you're getting dressed, he wakes up another one of the sailors quite forcefully.

You arrive at Callan's house just as he, Lokmar, and a third man step out of the gate. Callan introduces the third man to you as Eilis - Ervoni's son and your guide for this investigation. Eilis is of average hight and build, and he's dressed in warm clothing. His hair is dark blonde and his eyes are blue, and it's obvious that he has some Nordic blood in his veins, even though his name, speech and other appearance is that of a Mekian raised in a good, Aulorean home. He sets down the small backpacks that he's carrying and greets you warmly, "Thank you for volunteering to help me pay this visit to my uncle. It's very kind of you!" After shaking hands with you he continues, "We're all worried that something may have happened to him - he's normally a very kind man even to those whom he feels has wronged him, and I cannot think of why he would want to hurt this town. But we can talk much more about that as we walk there..."
As Eilis finishes, Lokmar steps over and points out the backpack for Lavi. "There's plenty of food in each pack, and everything should be as we agreed. This one also contains some herbs, the cook said they were quite common, so he didn't care to explain what they were to me. In case you don't recognize them, though, Eilis knows a bit about the herbs in this area also, and Old Osgal knows a lot about them."

When everything is settled, Callan wishes you all a safe journey, and Eilis leads you out of town, westwards along the coast.

[GM] > I'll inform you about the contents of the backpacks in the OOC thread.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well met Ellis, it is my pleasure, after all we have your community to thank for our shelter from Pirates..." he hefts the backpack and motions the youngster over..

"I was told you have knowledge of the local herbs,  these seem unfamiliar to me, could you prehaps identify them for me....they may prove useful...."

Offline Kalu

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2006, 10:37:29 PM »
[Eilis] > Herb Lore, O: 3 + 86 = 89
"Those leaves are Akbutege," Eilis points to the leaves that you recognized, "when eaten, they restore your strength. And that grass there is called Alambas; it soothes burned skin."
"Those other leaves, I don't know the name of, but Uncle Osgal has told me that they heal bruises..." Eilis trails off for a moment. "And the last herbs I don't know about. I think I've seen those nuts at Uncle Osgal's, but I'm not sure... I'm sure he'd love to help you with them, though!"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:39:44 PM by Kalu »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk