Author Topic: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1  (Read 33051 times)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 11:20:22 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

As he performs the tasks alloted to him he is mindful of the proximity of the persuing pirates. Had he been a wolf his hackles would have raised...a cold feeling passes across his shoulders.

He looks around intently...somethings not right. He checks the sea towards the bows...and then the crew, could one of them be working in league with the pirates?

Offline salun

• Knight of the Purple Sash
  • Riddleseeker
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »
The sailor, Johann, is relieved to have avoided the pirates, though the detour to Aranastett doesn't seem to suit him well - as they are entering the fjord he utters a loud curse at the longboat, something about the boat rotting under their feet, and something not quite suited for other ears than those of seasoned sailors (ooc: insert nasty curseing at those pirates here, not for the ears of women, children, or other normal people ;) ), and appearently it helps a bit on the mood among the rest of the crew.

As the treat seems to have worn of, he moves his focus from helping to speed the ship, and the preparations for battle, and takes a look around the ship, and the fjord.
Regards
Salun

My rpg-collection on RPGGeek.com

Offline Kalu

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 08:38:21 PM »
As the pirates come closer, Lavi takes another look at their ship and noticed that they have a red drop painted in the middle of their sail (Observation: 90+53=143). When the captain is notified about this, he goes pale for a moment. "Hrothgar..." he mutters. Then he turns and bellows at the crew: "Pick up y'er speed, men, if ya don' wanna be sacr'ficed 'live t'their heathen gods! We're bein' chased by 'rothgar the Bloody!" This sends a murmur through the crew, and makes they work as if they've just been whipped.

"The worst of 'em," the captain turns back to Lavi and says. "Not only is he the most brutal of 'em, prefer'n t'capture people rather than kill'em so that they can be sacr'ficed. He even mocks us by fly'n our holy symbol on 'is sails! I wish he'd be tak'n by the kilpa!"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:44:36 PM by Kalu »
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Kalu

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »
Just at The Morning Cloud is about to enter the Aranastett Fjord, Johann notices the red flag that is flying from the top of one of the cliffs (Observation: 76+29=105). "Captain!" he calls. "We can't go in there - there's a plague in Aranastett!"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 08:56:05 PM by Kalu »

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2006, 10:45:39 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

Looks back towards the plague flag then the pirates..

"Your choice captain..." he says shrugging "risk the plague...they may not.." he says indicating the pirates

"or risk the open seas with a madman at your back..."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 10:43:01 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well, captian what will it be....?" he asks again, for the captain is obviously torn between the fear of the plague and the fear of a stronger opponent.

"If it were my choice, we'd make landfall...and head inland avoiding the town...that would lessen the chances of the plague...leastwise for us." He turns and faces the following pirates.

"If you were to turn now...before you enter the fjord may be able to keep the wind...once we're in there we'll lose what advantage we had by heading into the wind....just how confiedent are you of outrunning them?"

Offline Kalu

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2006, 07:49:20 AM »
The captain scowls, "Keen wit you got there, lad! We'll do as you s'gest." He then turns to the men on the deck and orders them to keep the course for Aranastett, and they return to their tasks without protests.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2006, 08:12:58 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He shakes the hand of the captain.

"I'll head below and inform the passengers... I don't know what will happen, hopefully the pirates will be scared off by the plague...they may wait for you outside the fjord should you leave again. It maybe they will turn away, perhaps a watch should be held..on land...there." he says pointing to the high land near where the flag was.

(OOC: How far, in days travel would it be to get to where we are going by boat...and is it practical to do so by foot...?)

He goes downstairs to the cabin...

Offline Kalu

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2006, 11:27:11 PM »
The cog continued into the fjord, and just before the first bend that would hide any further watching of the ocean, you saw the Vuttish longboat giving up the chase and turn away. "They'll be watchin' the entrance to this fjord, though" the captain claimed, so the ship sailed on towards Aranastett.

In the summer the sun would have been shining down between the cliffs, but now it could only reach half-way down one of the sides, so sailing through the fjord was cold and dark. At the end of the fjord, though, the cliffs were lower and the gap between them was larger, so arriving at Aranastett, it looked like a nice welcoming place to stop - if it were not for the plague warning at the mouth of the fjord...

A similar plague warning was nowhere to be seen near the harbor, though, and as the cog anchored at what was considered a safe distance from the town, a small rowing boat could be seen heading out from the harbor towards the ship. As soon as the boat was within shouting distance, the captain called for them to stop: "Ho there! Dun' come any closer, we dun' wanna be 'nfected!"
The rowing boat slowed down and the passenger called back: "What' you talking about, Ustin? 'You been drinking too much?"
The captain scowled and called: "Watch yer mouth, Callan! Why yer flyin' the red flag out at Svertcliff if yer ain't got plague?"
"Flying what?"
the man called Callan answered. "We're not suffering from anything here. Sail on into the harbor and we'll get this sorted out..." Callan then instructed the oarsman to head the boat back into the harbor, and shortly thereafter, The Morning Cloud followed it.

With the cog safely tied up in the harbor, the harbor master Callan came aboard to talk to the captain. Both were upset about the false warning, mostly Callan though, because this explained why no ship had visitted Aranastett during the last week. He started talking about calling Old Osgal back to the town, as he apparently was going completely insane now, and expressed that he would apoint a couple of men to paying him a visit.
Captain Ustin, though also upset about the misleading flag, also thought it a stroke of luck - or help from Aulor - as that is what saved The Morning Cloud from the Vuttish pirates.

After Callan left the ship, Captain Ustin gathered his crew and passengers and started by thanking Breda and Aulor for the help. The normally very reserved Breda was overwhelmed at this, but accepted the gratitude from the crew, and she ended up laughing and blushing because of their praises and cheers.
The captain then explained to them that he had decided that they would stay in Aranastett for two nights in the hope that this would be enough to make the pirates so bored waiting that they turned their eyes at another prey. He was very sorry for this delay, and hoped that it would not spoil any plans for the passengers.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He breathes a sigh of relief...though the delay to his journey was somewhat annoying..

He thinks backs to the events of the past few hours.. then approaches the Captian once more..

"Captain..Sir? It is troubling me that someone would set a plague flag here... for truth it could be either, as I see it for two purposes. One to prevent trade with this port by a rival port...

(OOC: Do I know of a nearby port that would gain an advantage by doing this?)

...or perhaps the Pirates themselves seeking to keep their prey to sea...though this idea doesnt rest easily with me...surely the pirates would not be afeared of their own ruse?"

He thinks to himsel for a moment...

"Perhaps...it would be wise for a scout...or two investigate the Svertcliff...at least to take the flag down or find the reasons behind it being put there..."

Offline Kalu

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »
"Lots'a pos'bil'ties, yes..." the captain ponders, and continues "I see no pro'lem in you join'n the group that Call'n wants to send to the Svertcliff as long's y'er back here before we leave, but better ask 'im y'erself..."

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He quickly tells the people in the cabin of his intention to go ashore to help the party that the harbour master is preparing to investigate the false plague flag (hoping perhaps that one or more may wish to come along..otherwise he will go alone...)

He then asks permission from the Captian to leave the ship and seeks out the harbour-master...

"Harbour-master...do you wish assistance in the matter of investigating the plague flag?..." he asks when he catches up with him.

"...for I suspect two mores nights aboard the ship will cause my legs to seize up with the inactivity..." he says laughing and rubbing his legs
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:12:22 AM by Grinnen Baeritt »

Offline salun

• Riddleseeker
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
One of the sailors approach Lavi.
"Pardon me sir, if you plan on going investigating that warning, you might need some help. I guess two men'll have better chance of success than just one, and especially that one being, well sorry for say'in, a complete stranger to these lands."
He pauses, smiling at Lavi.
He then extends his hand, saying "By th'way, name's Johann Shay, but most 'round here just call me Shay"
Regards
Salun

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2006, 10:53:25 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well met...er..Shay." he smiles. "I hadn't intended a reckless trip by myself...but would welcome the company should the town not be able to muster some guides for us."

He carefully arranges his quiver on his left side, holds his bow loosely in his left hand, then adjusts his grip on his spear.

"Shall we go then?"

Offline salun

• Riddleseeker
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
"I'll just have to tell the capt'n I'm goin' with you, and then gather my stuff for the trip. Should only take a few moments, so just go ahead, then I'll catch up with you"

Johann leaves, to inform the captain of his intentions, and to gather his gear.
Regards
Salun

Offline Kalu

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
The captain reminds you that the ship will leave the day after tomorrow and then wishes you good luck.

You leave the ship and head for the house that the captain pointed out as the one where Callan lives. The house is the only two storey house in the town, and is located close to the harbor, so it's easy to find.
At the gate you are greeted by a servant - a middle-aged man with only one arm - who upon hearing your errand agrees to take you to "The Master", as he calls him. He leads you across the courtyard, through a door at the other side of the gate, and into the house. The chamber that you enter is small and contains only four large wooden chairs with soft cushions. He looks you over once and then walks over to the door on the other side of the room. Here he knock twice and then turns around and leaves...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He watches the man start to leave...but stops him before he can do so.

"Do you want us to wait...or will someone be expecting us now?"

(Assuming we are told to wait..)

Unaccustomed to comfort as he is...he stands patiently for a couple of minutes.

Should no-one answer the door before then he will knock on the door himself.

Offline Kalu

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2006, 06:52:39 AM »
"You will be summoned when The Master is ready," the servant replies.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:30 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

Looks over at Johann. Shrugs... and waits as the servant leaves.

He waits three minutes then knocks on the door himself.

Offline Kalu

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:54 PM »
On the deck of The Morning Cloud the captain is sitting, dangling his legs over the side and smoking his pipe. He looks like he's immersed in thoughts, but looks up when Thuriel emerges from the cabin.
"Ya' look'n restless, lad! 'Nuther one of the passengers pro'bly felt the same way: he's gone to Callan to offer his help invest'gatin' why the red flag was up. If ya wanna join 'im, I can tell ya where Callan lives. I'm cert'n he won't mind havin' an extra volunteer..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk