Author Topic: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1  (Read 33052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 10:07:47 AM »
Waiting for the others to finish their meals first, Thuriel and his samll companion sis down when its quiet and eat slowly. Quite a contrast the pair, a Nord and an Alorean Nun...

The last few months had been difficult and the Nord found it hard to relate to most people. That would be something he would have to deal with shortly, especially on such a cramped situation upon a boat. Still atleast he was getting on with his journey, the answer he so desparately wanted to find would surely be at the Holy city. He looked over at his guide and frowned. She remained silent, having  learned that his moods and their swings could be considerable.

Finsihing his meal Thuriel stood and brushed and lingering crumbs of food from his tunic and smoothed it out, strange how one who was brought up in the ways of the warrior could suddenly find that an altogether different view of life could be entirely more welcome, if unbidden.

"I'm going for some air upon deck" he said quietly, excusing himself. The nun looked at him with a practised patience "As you wish" she said graciously, allowing him time to himself again.

Finishing he walked out and looked out over the ship rail into the distance while his guide finished her meal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:15:52 PM by Chifo »
Regards

Chifo

Offline Kalu

  • Moderator
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »
Quote from: QUOTE(Cel @ Mar 9 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback
29546[/snapback]]
Kerr gets up, not finishing his meal, and goes back to his cabin.
Walking around the ship, Kerr discovers that the only cabin on the ship is the captain's. The passengers are to sleep in the same room as where they eat their meals - there are hammocks under some of the seats.

Outside, the rain makes the deck slippery and the visibility low. Only a few sailors are outside, all of them wearing heavy coats and hats, and the rest are probably below deck taking a nap.
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

As he strides purposefully around the deck he takes a few deep breaths of fresh sea air..

He acknowledges the glances of the sailors with a nod but doesn't distract them from thier duties those he had met so far on the voyage didn't seem to have the time for talk...and apparently the passengers more so.

The ship was far larger than the boats that his father took with him on the trips down the coast during the summer. He had often travelled to the hunting grounds this way when the icepacks had melted, his father said that to travel further down the coast from where he lived served to let nature replenish the "stock" nearer home for the harder months of winter.

After a quick circuit of the boat, the wind chill was just beginning to play on his mind but nothing compared to the icy blasts of home.

He comes across another passenger, presumeably of a like mind, perhaps a fellow Nord, resting by the ships rail.

He walks up and stands by the man and stares out across the waters too.

He clears his throat with a little cough and a grumble.

"How fares your journey? ... I'm mising the north already" he asks casually without meeting the mans eyes nor getting too close.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »
The younng Nord nods "It's so...." he searches for the words "complicated here. Everyone is always in motion, with no sense of..." he gropes with the words and turns and looks out over the water again. "I'm not good with words" he says. He turns and offers his hand in a frim handshake "Thuriel" he says.
Regards

Chifo

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Lavi" he says grasping the offered hand. "I think I feel the same already...a sort of natural peace of my homeland...tranquility...closeness to the wild?"

He releases his grip to stare once more out at the sea.

"I'm sure I wouldn't be leaving there had it not been for the promise I made to a friend..." he says reflecting upon his memories.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
Thuriel nods but does not reply, sometimes silence is often the loudest words. After a moment he says "I to have made a promise, my journey to this city may bring answers I seek in order to fulfill that promise. Have you been to the Holy City before?"
Regards

Chifo

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"No..." he says with a shrug. "This is the first time I've left Nordland".

"I'm a little ignorant...of religious matters.." he says humbly.

"...I hadn't realised it was...holy" he says apologetically.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2006, 10:59:54 PM »
Thuriel nods "I have...been told that there are many wise and great men there. My guide teaches that they provide guidance for the belivers that follow he paths to the Gods above. I will go to them and ask my questions." He turns away again.
Regards

Chifo

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:42 AM »
Levi - Nord Male

"Aye, my friend...for whom I am performing this errand...he was a wise man..it is good to know someone wise...whether they be gods or not" he head sinks slightly...as the memories flood back.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006, 06:18:44 AM »
Thuriel breathes deeply inhaling the unfimilar sea air air, most inlike the cool fresh air of his mountain homeland. But that was before...

"The Gods have brought us here for a reason" he muses out loud "And it is for us to do our part to gain salvation in the next life." He turns to Levi "Wouldn't you agree?"
Regards

Chifo

Offline Kalu

  • Moderator
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Late in the afternoon the weather changes: the rain stops and a few rays of sunlight penetrate the cloud cover. The ship continues along the coast that gradually changes from beaches and cultivated land to tall, rocky cliffs of the Aran plateau, which hide the setting sun.

As night falls, the passengers are offered a bucket of water in which they can wash their hands before having dinner consisting of porridge and apples. After this, they are all offered a bucket of water for washing their faces, and the Aulorean nun gathers those who are interested for a short service - a quick prayer and a hymn, and finally the meditation that cleans the soul for the night. Several of the sailors also take part in this service, and seem to enjoy that it's not the captain leading the service...

In the passenger cabin, the hammocks are hung from the ceiling, and people fall asleep to the sound of the huge sailor Vero's singing and the two soldiers snoring. The ship sails on during the night, guided by the beacons on the cliffs.

At sunrise next morning, a sail is spotted on the horizon, Northeast of The Morning Cloud. This makes the crew uneasy with the fear that it could be Vuttish pirates, and soon after this fear is confirmed, when the vertically striped sail of the longboat becomes visible.
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Cel

  • Knight of the Round Table
  • ****
  • Posts: 595
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 06:07:56 AM »
Kerr simply turns around and walk away, deep inside the ship. This isnt his concern.. And if things go wrong, he can always join the pirates.
Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:
"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."

Offline salun

  • Knight of the Purple Sash
  • **
  • Posts: 203
  • Riddleseeker
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 09:39:11 AM »
One of the sailors mutter a curse, propably aimed at the pirates, then runs to help preparing the ship for combat.
Regards
Salun

My rpg-collection on RPGGeek.com

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 11:13:37 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

Having heard the alarm being raised, goes out on deck a takes a look across the waves to the other vessel.

He tries to see whether the ship is being rowed as well or is purely under sail.

Regardless he strings his bow..and guages the distance between the two vessels.

Offline Kalu

  • Moderator
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »
In the clear morning weather it is easy to see the Vuttish longboat even though it is still far away. To the apparent satisfaction of the crew, the captain decides to take the chance and try to outrun it instead of seeking the confrontation. It should only take about a half day to reach Aranastett, and if that fails, it will at least give the two soldiers some time to get past their hangovers.

With this settled, only a quick morning service with a long prayer for help is held in the passengers' cabin, and then the passengers who are able are asked to prepare themselves for a possible boarding - these pirates are not known to take prisoners!
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »
Lavi - Nord Male

Unused to such communual religious activity, he sits quietly whist the Nun holds the service.

His mind clears as he brings forth images of the peace of a hunt...

When the captian asks for the passenger to prepare for possible boarding later in the morning, he wishes that he had spent more time learning the intracices of sail-craft from the whalers who he occasionally met with his father on the nrthern shores of Nordland. As it was he would only get in the way.

"Half a day..." he thought "...is that all we have to outrun them for".

His eyes drift to the heavens..."Let us hope the winds favour us.." he says.

Offline Chifo

  • GamesMasters
  • Knight of the Round Table
  • *
  • Posts: 559
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »
Thuriel - Male Nord

Sitting in the cabin with his guide, the nun, Thuriel looks at her questioningly as the word of pirates quickly spreads through the ship. He listens to her words yet his mind is undoubtedly on his most cherished possesion, his sword, wrapped neatly in its protective wrapping.

He breathed in deeply to calm himself as he had been taught, to find the balance that faith and patience  brings, rather than listening to the pounding of his blood and roar of his ancestry beginning to scream in his soul that he would have to unleash once more the savage within.

He tries to catch the nuns attention, looking for guidance on this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:17:01 PM by Chifo »
Regards

Chifo

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

  • Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
  • *
  • Posts: 9716
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He offers help whereever needed, anything, pulling ropes otherwise he will wait, impassively staring at the pursueing ship.

Offline Kalu

  • Moderator
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 11:16:51 AM »
As the hours pass, the Vuttish lognboat comes closer, but it obviously will not be able to catch up before Aranastett is reached. Still, this has every man on deck very busy.

[GM] > I'd like a Sailing check (by PM or in the OOC topic) from those who are on the deck.
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Offline Kalu

  • Moderator
  • Knight of the Sword and Stone
  • *
  • Posts: 425
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 10:06:42 PM »
At about noon, The Morning Cloud reaches the fjord in which Aranastett is located, and not a moment too soon. The pursuing longboat is only about four bow ranges away, and the crew was getting nervous even though the captain has done all that he could to keep them busy.

For the sailor Johann it has almost been business as usual (Sailing 63+29=92) even though this time his ship is not the one chasing the pirates. The cog is quite a different kind of ship to work on, though, than what he is used to from the navy.
For Lavi this has been quite an experience! Even though he has no experience at helping on such a large and bulky ship as the cog, he has done everything Captain Ustin has asked of him - even if the tasks have been suitably simple - so well that the captain doesn't think twice about which tasks to ask of him (Sailing 94+0=94).

[GM] > I'd like an Observation check (in the new Dice Roller) from those who are on the deck.
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk