Author Topic: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1  (Read 33054 times)

Offline Kalu

• Knight of the Sword and Stone
The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:02:15 PM »
"Welcome 'board The Morn'n Cloud!" the captain calls in his thick Perikal accent from the deck, as you step onto the landing plank. "I'm Cap'n Ust'n. We'll be leav'n for Selaset 'soon as those slow sav'ges finish loadin' 'er up."
As you step onto the deck, the captain nods towards rear castle and says "The pas'nger quart's are 'hind that door. Th' journey sh'take 'bout four days - I hope t'won't be rough...", followed by the gesture that the sailors use to ward off evil towards the sea.

Soon after, The Morning Cloud heads out the Tartasborg harbor. The weather is typical for the fall: cool and with heavy clouds being pressed southwestwards by a brisk wind. By lunchtime it seems as if it will probably start raining soon, so the passengers stay inside after sharing a meal consisting of bread, cheese and dried meat, getting to know each other. Among the most noticable passengers are two Nordic men, an Aulorean nun who is accompanying a young girl, and two young, loud-mouthed soldiers, who are celebrating their returning home from service in Ustan by sharing a tankard of ale, and discussing how they want to take part in the real fighting against the Brautanite raiders.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:46:09 AM by Kalu »
Creator of the game setting Taras.
Game master of the RMSS game The Journey to Selaset.

Confident, cocky, lazy, dead...
[Johnny "Dread" Wulgaru in Tad Williams's Otherlands quadrology]

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »
Kavi - Nord Male

He looked around nervously. He hadn't had long to prepare for the journey and though he had spent time hunting whales he had always busy then, never idling around on deck. He shifted his frame and checked that the package was still there. He hadn't opened it..yes he was curious but it was for anothers eyes...not his.

Instead, he contented himself by listening in to the two soldiers and their exploits.

Offline Cel

• Knight of the Round Table
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »
Kerr walks into the room. He is rather tall, standing at almost 6 feet. He appears to be at his early 20s, with long black hair and brown eyes. He is dressed in linen cloths, and leather gloves and boots. A heavy hooded cloak covers him.

As he enters the room, Kerr pulls the hood down and walks to an empty table. He quietly sits down, making sure nothing gets in the way between his hand and his right boot. He appears to be relaxed, but keeps himself alert to any trouble that might follow him. He also observes the loud soldiers, trying to get as much detail about them, their equipment. He also notes their body build to get a clearer picture of their strength and training.

[Alertness +21]
[Observation +32]
Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:
"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:47:30 PM »
Kavi - Nord Male

Stopping to dunk a piece of bread into his water, he then pops the stale lump into his mouth. He then takes a piece of dried meat and crunches it between his teeth. Taking only a small bite his mind reflects back to the days of the hunt where the meat would be freshly roasted.
Looking around he sees the dark haired man arrive..and sit at a different table.

"Another lone traveller" he thought.

He puts his meal down and straightens his back. He was wasn't tall, but the cramped spaces on board did not suit him at all. In fact, he looked distinctly uncomfortable. He brushes his fair hair away from his face then rubbs his icy blue eyes. He yawned..he'd only got on the ship and he knew he had weeks to go yet, the sea air ususally kept him alert..then again he normally had something to do..now, he was just a passenger.

He listens to the soldiers boasts for a few seconds more. Then picks up the remenants of his meal and stands up, thinking to go out on deck.

"No...I'm here for the duration" he thinks to himself. He walks over to the table where the new arrival sits, by himself.

"Greetings, fellow traveller. My name is Lavi, I hail from Nordland. I'm travelling to Selaset. Be you going all the way too?"...he says also motioning as to indicate that he would like to sit opposite him (Kerr..).

Offline Cel

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:32:36 AM »
Kerr motions his head in approval, and waits for the man to sit down, looking at the man suspiciously.

"Yes, I'm going to Selaset. Name's Toman."

He puts his right hand on his knee, ready for any fast movements this man might do.

"How can I help you?"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:33:52 AM by Cel »

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:39:20 AM »
Kavi - Nord Male

Looking briefly at the mans posture he can tell the man is nervous...

"Just thought, like me you might be travelling alone on this trip...and might appreciate the company for a small while..." he smiles briefly and puts his plate down on the table.

"Well, the food is passable, so how is yours?" he says sitting down.

He carries with him a bundle of equipment, at the moment tied together as baggage. This consists of a longbow (unstrung), a quiver (carefully tied off) and a backpack. His spear sits in the weapon rack by the door.. at the moment the only weapons he has are a large knife and a smaller skinning knife. Both of these are clearly displayed on his belt.

Offline Cel

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
This doesnt seem right. Probably a merc... Not the first, and surely not the last.

"Food's alright." He replies. "So, who are you?"

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"Lavi..." he says taking another mouthful of bread. "I'm delivering a package for a friend...first time away from the home land...missing the snow and ice already" he didn't seem to mind that the man hadn't heard him say his name the first time.

"Shame really, going to be away when the huntings the best..." he looks a bit wistful.. then turns back to man.

Offline Cel

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »
"Delivering a package for a friend?" Kerr grins. "You know whats inside? Or who is it for?"

------

OC: Any chance more people will join or something will happen?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 05:47:38 PM by Cel »

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 07:20:25 PM »
Lavi- Nord Male

He looks somewhat shocked at the notion that he would have opened a private package..

"The package is not for me...but from a friend to an acquintance of his...I have neither the right nor the lack of honour to breech my friends trust in this matter..." he says quite sternly.

"So...your name.. I don't recogise it, is it a family name?...or are you returning from some travels?" his expression changes from somewhat dignant to vaguely interested.

He takes another bite of his food..

Offline Kalu

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 09:29:08 PM »
The soldiers are both quite young, probably in their late teens, and look strong and in good condition - except for now that they're clearly affected by their ale. They are quite relaxed now that they are so far from the border, and as their equipment has most likely been left at the garrison, they're dressed like ordinary men.
It is obvious that this has been their first season of service, and it has impressed them a lot. Not that it has been anything like what they've dreamed of, but they sound as if it has been much more interesting than working on a fishing vessel. Most of their conversation focusses on comparing their officers and of sharing the rumors they've heard about the Brautanites.

"'Tell ya, Olgar, them savage Braut'nites worse than those Nordics! They dun' even live in 'ouses, and they even send their women'n'kids to battle!"
"Yeah, 'eard that too... 'Also 'eard that some 'them can go mes'n with y'er dreams, so you just watch it, it ya' ever cross one o'em and dun' kill'im 'mediately, Hesper, ha-ha! Maybe he turns y'er dream girl into a frog or sump'tn..."
"'Ey that's not funny! My C'mander tried that once, 'cept 'twasn't just his dream girl but all 'is dreams that got twisted after he only wounded one of those star gazers. He couldn't med'tate an' neither the 'ealers nor the couns'lors could help 'im! 'Didn't stop before the savage was hunted down and killed."
"Yeah, they're really nasty those star gazers! Some o' my companions also believe that they can read minds and see the future, but that's nonsense, I tell'em. If God had meant for peopl' to be able to see the future, why wouldn't it be his people who could do that?"

The soldier who is called Olgar then stands up and leaves for the deck, mumbling something about predicting that he has to take a leak soon, and the other soldier laughs, pours himself some more ale and starts looking at the other people in the room.

Offline Cel

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 05:29:42 AM »
"You dont recognize my name? Well, how would you if we only just met."

"You know," he continues, "I had a friend that wanted me to deliver a package." He sighs. "Nevermind."

-------------

OC: So, its me and Grinnen?

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 08:03:23 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

"It's just that I didn't reconise the name....It's certainly not a common name in Nordland." he looks apologetic.  "I certainly haven't met you before...it's just I can't place from what region you are from..."
he takes a drink of water.

Putting his drink down again he casually listens to the conversation of the two soldiers...and seems to be slightly uneasy.

"Well..." he says beginning to get up to move to another table "..it was nice to have talked to you"

Offline salun

• Knight of the Purple Sash
  • Riddleseeker
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 02:27:15 PM »
Nearing the end of his first watch on this journey, one of the crew-men start walking to get inside for his well deserved meal, and a short break before the rain starts.
He nealy stumbles into a youmg man, on his way to the deck, as he reaches the door, mumbles a short "sorry, sir", then moves to get inside, out of the starting rain, all the while thinking of how much he looks forward to finally seeing his home and family again.
Regards
Salun

My rpg-collection on RPGGeek.com

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He gets up and almost bumps into the sailor who enters from the deck (who co-inciently almost collided with a soldier leaving...)

"Oh hello!" he says apologetically... "You might know this how long is this trip...and are we stopping to pick up more passengers along the way?" ...he turns and looks at the person sat at the table that he had just left.

"It's my first trip south...and I don't know anyone on board...the gentleman here..." indicating Toman.. "is also travelling that way...perhaps you could spare me some of your time?"

Offline salun

• Riddleseeker
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »
" 'lo sir " the sailor gives a friendly nood "Well... The journey aren't supposed to take much more that four days, and from what I know we'll be going straight to Selaset, with no stops 'till we get there." *mumbles under his breath* "if the winds and sea wills us".

The sailor quickly looks up and down the man he's talking to, and throws a short glance at "the gentleman", then continues.

"As for sparing some time, of course I can do that" his face glares up in a smile "though I've only got a short break right now, so if you don't mind, I'll just go grap some food, and then I'll be happy to entertain you and the other gentleman."
Regards
Salun

Offline Kalu

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »
The room contains four tables - two along each wall - which have been securely bolted to the floor. Kerr sits alone at one of them, the two soldiers at another, the Aulorean nun and the young girl have been joined by the other Nordlending at the third table, and the last seat at the fourth table has just been taken by the sailor who came in the door.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:15:36 AM by Kalu »

Online Grinnen Baeritt

• Gremlin Magnet
  • Grey Council
  • Marquis
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »
Lavi - Nord Male

He returns to his seat having found out what he wants to know from the seaman. He then finshes his meal and leaves the cabin going out on deck to stretch his legs.

Offline Cel

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 08:28:58 PM »
Kerr gets up, not finishing his meal, and goes back to his cabin.

Offline salun

• Riddleseeker
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »
Finishing his meal, the sailor takes a quick look around the cabin again, smiling at anyone who meets his glance, then stands up, and heads under deck for a short nap before his next watch, all the while muttering a silent prayer that the weather won't get any worse than it is...
Regards
Salun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk