Real Roleplaying Forums

The Archive => The Trophy Case => The Journey to Selaset (RoleMaster SS) => Topic started by: Kalu on February 22, 2006, 10:02:15 PM

Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 22, 2006, 10:02:15 PM
"Welcome 'board The Morn'n Cloud!" the captain calls in his thick Perikal accent from the deck, as you step onto the landing plank. "I'm Cap'n Ust'n. We'll be leav'n for Selaset 'soon as those slow sav'ges finish loadin' 'er up."
As you step onto the deck, the captain nods towards rear castle and says "The pas'nger quart's are 'hind that door. Th' journey sh'take 'bout four days - I hope t'won't be rough...", followed by the gesture that the sailors use to ward off evil towards the sea.

Soon after, The Morning Cloud heads out the Tartasborg harbor. The weather is typical for the fall: cool and with heavy clouds being pressed southwestwards by a brisk wind. By lunchtime it seems as if it will probably start raining soon, so the passengers stay inside after sharing a meal consisting of bread, cheese and dried meat, getting to know each other. Among the most noticable passengers are two Nordic men, an Aulorean nun who is accompanying a young girl, and two young, loud-mouthed soldiers, who are celebrating their returning home from service in Ustan by sharing a tankard of ale, and discussing how they want to take part in the real fighting against the Brautanite raiders.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 03, 2006, 09:55:49 AM
Kavi - Nord Male

He looked around nervously. He hadn't had long to prepare for the journey and though he had spent time hunting whales he had always busy then, never idling around on deck. He shifted his frame and checked that the package was still there. He hadn't opened it..yes he was curious but it was for anothers eyes...not his.

Instead, he contented himself by listening in to the two soldiers and their exploits.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 03, 2006, 04:50:50 PM
Kerr walks into the room. He is rather tall, standing at almost 6 feet. He appears to be at his early 20s, with long black hair and brown eyes. He is dressed in linen cloths, and leather gloves and boots. A heavy hooded cloak covers him.

As he enters the room, Kerr pulls the hood down and walks to an empty table. He quietly sits down, making sure nothing gets in the way between his hand and his right boot. He appears to be relaxed, but keeps himself alert to any trouble that might follow him. He also observes the loud soldiers, trying to get as much detail about them, their equipment. He also notes their body build to get a clearer picture of their strength and training.


[Alertness +21]
[Observation +32]
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 03, 2006, 10:47:30 PM
Kavi - Nord Male

Stopping to dunk a piece of bread into his water, he then pops the stale lump into his mouth. He then takes a piece of dried meat and crunches it between his teeth. Taking only a small bite his mind reflects back to the days of the hunt where the meat would be freshly roasted.
Looking around he sees the dark haired man arrive..and sit at a different table.

"Another lone traveller" he thought.

He puts his meal down and straightens his back. He was wasn't tall, but the cramped spaces on board did not suit him at all. In fact, he looked distinctly uncomfortable. He brushes his fair hair away from his face then rubbs his icy blue eyes. He yawned..he'd only got on the ship and he knew he had weeks to go yet, the sea air ususally kept him alert..then again he normally had something to do..now, he was just a passenger.

He listens to the soldiers boasts for a few seconds more. Then picks up the remenants of his meal and stands up, thinking to go out on deck.

"No...I'm here for the duration" he thinks to himself. He walks over to the table where the new arrival sits, by himself.

"Greetings, fellow traveller. My name is Lavi, I hail from Nordland. I'm travelling to Selaset. Be you going all the way too?"...he says also motioning as to indicate that he would like to sit opposite him (Kerr..).
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 04, 2006, 07:32:36 AM
Kerr motions his head in approval, and waits for the man to sit down, looking at the man suspiciously.

"Yes, I'm going to Selaset. Name's Toman."

He puts his right hand on his knee, ready for any fast movements this man might do.

"How can I help you?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 04, 2006, 09:39:20 AM
Kavi - Nord Male

Looking briefly at the mans posture he can tell the man is nervous...

"Just thought, like me you might be travelling alone on this trip...and might appreciate the company for a small while..." he smiles briefly and puts his plate down on the table.

"Well, the food is passable, so how is yours?" he says sitting down.

He carries with him a bundle of equipment, at the moment tied together as baggage. This consists of a longbow (unstrung), a quiver (carefully tied off) and a backpack. His spear sits in the weapon rack by the door.. at the moment the only weapons he has are a large knife and a smaller skinning knife. Both of these are clearly displayed on his belt.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 04, 2006, 05:42:39 PM
This doesnt seem right. Probably a merc... Not the first, and surely not the last.

"Food's alright." He replies. "So, who are you?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 04, 2006, 08:28:08 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Lavi..." he says taking another mouthful of bread. "I'm delivering a package for a friend...first time away from the home land...missing the snow and ice already" he didn't seem to mind that the man hadn't heard him say his name the first time.

"Shame really, going to be away when the huntings the best..." he looks a bit wistful.. then turns back to man.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 05, 2006, 05:46:39 PM
"Delivering a package for a friend?" Kerr grins. "You know whats inside? Or who is it for?"


------

OC: Any chance more people will join or something will happen?
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 05, 2006, 07:20:25 PM
Lavi- Nord Male

He looks somewhat shocked at the notion that he would have opened a private package..

"The package is not for me...but from a friend to an acquintance of his...I have neither the right nor the lack of honour to breech my friends trust in this matter..." he says quite sternly.

"So...your name.. I don't recogise it, is it a family name?...or are you returning from some travels?" his expression changes from somewhat dignant to vaguely interested.

He takes another bite of his food..
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 05, 2006, 09:29:08 PM
The soldiers are both quite young, probably in their late teens, and look strong and in good condition - except for now that they're clearly affected by their ale. They are quite relaxed now that they are so far from the border, and as their equipment has most likely been left at the garrison, they're dressed like ordinary men.
It is obvious that this has been their first season of service, and it has impressed them a lot. Not that it has been anything like what they've dreamed of, but they sound as if it has been much more interesting than working on a fishing vessel. Most of their conversation focusses on comparing their officers and of sharing the rumors they've heard about the Brautanites.

"'Tell ya, Olgar, them savage Braut'nites worse than those Nordics! They dun' even live in 'ouses, and they even send their women'n'kids to battle!"
"Yeah, 'eard that too... 'Also 'eard that some 'them can go mes'n with y'er dreams, so you just watch it, it ya' ever cross one o'em and dun' kill'im 'mediately, Hesper, ha-ha! Maybe he turns y'er dream girl into a frog or sump'tn..."
"'Ey that's not funny! My C'mander tried that once, 'cept 'twasn't just his dream girl but all 'is dreams that got twisted after he only wounded one of those star gazers. He couldn't med'tate an' neither the 'ealers nor the couns'lors could help 'im! 'Didn't stop before the savage was hunted down and killed."
"Yeah, they're really nasty those star gazers! Some o' my companions also believe that they can read minds and see the future, but that's nonsense, I tell'em. If God had meant for peopl' to be able to see the future, why wouldn't it be his people who could do that?"

The soldier who is called Olgar then stands up and leaves for the deck, mumbling something about predicting that he has to take a leak soon, and the other soldier laughs, pours himself some more ale and starts looking at the other people in the room.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 06, 2006, 05:29:42 AM
"You dont recognize my name? Well, how would you if we only just met."

"You know," he continues, "I had a friend that wanted me to deliver a package." He sighs. "Nevermind."


-------------

OC: So, its me and Grinnen?
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 06, 2006, 08:03:23 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"It's just that I didn't reconise the name....It's certainly not a common name in Nordland." he looks apologetic.  "I certainly haven't met you before...it's just I can't place from what region you are from..."
he takes a drink of water.

Putting his drink down again he casually listens to the conversation of the two soldiers...and seems to be slightly uneasy.

"Well..." he says beginning to get up to move to another table "..it was nice to have talked to you"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on March 07, 2006, 02:27:15 PM
Nearing the end of his first watch on this journey, one of the crew-men start walking to get inside for his well deserved meal, and a short break before the rain starts.
He nealy stumbles into a youmg man, on his way to the deck, as he reaches the door, mumbles a short "sorry, sir", then moves to get inside, out of the starting rain, all the while thinking of how much he looks forward to finally seeing his home and family again.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 08, 2006, 02:11:49 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He gets up and almost bumps into the sailor who enters from the deck (who co-inciently almost collided with a soldier leaving...)

"Oh hello!" he says apologetically... "You might know this how long is this trip...and are we stopping to pick up more passengers along the way?" ...he turns and looks at the person sat at the table that he had just left.

"It's my first trip south...and I don't know anyone on board...the gentleman here..." indicating Toman.. "is also travelling that way...perhaps you could spare me some of your time?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on March 09, 2006, 07:35:47 AM
" 'lo sir " the sailor gives a friendly nood "Well... The journey aren't supposed to take much more that four days, and from what I know we'll be going straight to Selaset, with no stops 'till we get there." *mumbles under his breath* "if the winds and sea wills us".

The sailor quickly looks up and down the man he's talking to, and throws a short glance at "the gentleman", then continues.

"As for sparing some time, of course I can do that" his face glares up in a smile "though I've only got a short break right now, so if you don't mind, I'll just go grap some food, and then I'll be happy to entertain you and the other gentleman."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 09, 2006, 06:45:32 PM
The room contains four tables - two along each wall - which have been securely bolted to the floor. Kerr sits alone at one of them, the two soldiers at another, the Aulorean nun and the young girl have been joined by the other Nordlending at the third table, and the last seat at the fourth table has just been taken by the sailor who came in the door.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 09, 2006, 08:24:08 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He returns to his seat having found out what he wants to know from the seaman. He then finshes his meal and leaves the cabin going out on deck to stretch his legs.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 09, 2006, 08:28:58 PM
Kerr gets up, not finishing his meal, and goes back to his cabin.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on March 10, 2006, 07:14:09 AM
Finishing his meal, the sailor takes a quick look around the cabin again, smiling at anyone who meets his glance, then stands up, and heads under deck for a short nap before his next watch, all the while muttering a silent prayer that the weather won't get any worse than it is...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 10, 2006, 10:07:47 AM
Waiting for the others to finish their meals first, Thuriel and his samll companion sis down when its quiet and eat slowly. Quite a contrast the pair, a Nord and an Alorean Nun...

The last few months had been difficult and the Nord found it hard to relate to most people. That would be something he would have to deal with shortly, especially on such a cramped situation upon a boat. Still atleast he was getting on with his journey, the answer he so desparately wanted to find would surely be at the Holy city. He looked over at his guide and frowned. She remained silent, having  learned that his moods and their swings could be considerable.

Finsihing his meal Thuriel stood and brushed and lingering crumbs of food from his tunic and smoothed it out, strange how one who was brought up in the ways of the warrior could suddenly find that an altogether different view of life could be entirely more welcome, if unbidden.

"I'm going for some air upon deck" he said quietly, excusing himself. The nun looked at him with a practised patience "As you wish" she said graciously, allowing him time to himself again.

Finishing he walked out and looked out over the ship rail into the distance while his guide finished her meal.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 10, 2006, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: QUOTE(Cel @ Mar 9 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback
29546[/snapback]]
Kerr gets up, not finishing his meal, and goes back to his cabin.
Walking around the ship, Kerr discovers that the only cabin on the ship is the captain's. The passengers are to sleep in the same room as where they eat their meals - there are hammocks under some of the seats.

Outside, the rain makes the deck slippery and the visibility low. Only a few sailors are outside, all of them wearing heavy coats and hats, and the rest are probably below deck taking a nap.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 10, 2006, 10:43:20 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

As he strides purposefully around the deck he takes a few deep breaths of fresh sea air..

He acknowledges the glances of the sailors with a nod but doesn't distract them from thier duties those he had met so far on the voyage didn't seem to have the time for talk...and apparently the passengers more so.

The ship was far larger than the boats that his father took with him on the trips down the coast during the summer. He had often travelled to the hunting grounds this way when the icepacks had melted, his father said that to travel further down the coast from where he lived served to let nature replenish the "stock" nearer home for the harder months of winter.

After a quick circuit of the boat, the wind chill was just beginning to play on his mind but nothing compared to the icy blasts of home.

He comes across another passenger, presumeably of a like mind, perhaps a fellow Nord, resting by the ships rail.

He walks up and stands by the man and stares out across the waters too.

He clears his throat with a little cough and a grumble.

"How fares your journey? ... I'm mising the north already" he asks casually without meeting the mans eyes nor getting too close.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 11, 2006, 08:26:57 AM
The younng Nord nods "It's so...." he searches for the words "complicated here. Everyone is always in motion, with no sense of..." he gropes with the words and turns and looks out over the water again. "I'm not good with words" he says. He turns and offers his hand in a frim handshake "Thuriel" he says.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 11, 2006, 09:03:30 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Lavi" he says grasping the offered hand. "I think I feel the same already...a sort of natural peace of my homeland...tranquility...closeness to the wild?"

He releases his grip to stare once more out at the sea.

"I'm sure I wouldn't be leaving there had it not been for the promise I made to a friend..." he says reflecting upon his memories.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 11, 2006, 04:30:46 PM
Thuriel nods but does not reply, sometimes silence is often the loudest words. After a moment he says "I to have made a promise, my journey to this city may bring answers I seek in order to fulfill that promise. Have you been to the Holy City before?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 11, 2006, 04:56:30 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"No..." he says with a shrug. "This is the first time I've left Nordland".

"I'm a little ignorant...of religious matters.." he says humbly.

"...I hadn't realised it was...holy" he says apologetically.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 11, 2006, 10:59:54 PM
Thuriel nods "I have...been told that there are many wise and great men there. My guide teaches that they provide guidance for the belivers that follow he paths to the Gods above. I will go to them and ask my questions." He turns away again.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 12, 2006, 12:02:42 AM
Levi - Nord Male

"Aye, my friend...for whom I am performing this errand...he was a wise man..it is good to know someone wise...whether they be gods or not" he head sinks slightly...as the memories flood back.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 13, 2006, 06:18:44 AM
Thuriel breathes deeply inhaling the unfimilar sea air air, most inlike the cool fresh air of his mountain homeland. But that was before...

"The Gods have brought us here for a reason" he muses out loud "And it is for us to do our part to gain salvation in the next life." He turns to Levi "Wouldn't you agree?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 15, 2006, 08:11:40 PM
Late in the afternoon the weather changes: the rain stops and a few rays of sunlight penetrate the cloud cover. The ship continues along the coast that gradually changes from beaches and cultivated land to tall, rocky cliffs of the Aran plateau, which hide the setting sun.

As night falls, the passengers are offered a bucket of water in which they can wash their hands before having dinner consisting of porridge and apples. After this, they are all offered a bucket of water for washing their faces, and the Aulorean nun gathers those who are interested for a short service - a quick prayer and a hymn, and finally the meditation that cleans the soul for the night. Several of the sailors also take part in this service, and seem to enjoy that it's not the captain leading the service...

In the passenger cabin, the hammocks are hung from the ceiling, and people fall asleep to the sound of the huge sailor Vero's singing and the two soldiers snoring. The ship sails on during the night, guided by the beacons on the cliffs.

At sunrise next morning, a sail is spotted on the horizon, Northeast of The Morning Cloud. This makes the crew uneasy with the fear that it could be Vuttish pirates, and soon after this fear is confirmed, when the vertically striped sail of the longboat becomes visible.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Cel on March 16, 2006, 06:07:56 AM
Kerr simply turns around and walk away, deep inside the ship. This isnt his concern.. And if things go wrong, he can always join the pirates.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on March 16, 2006, 09:39:11 AM
One of the sailors mutter a curse, propably aimed at the pirates, then runs to help preparing the ship for combat.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 16, 2006, 11:13:37 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Having heard the alarm being raised, goes out on deck a takes a look across the waves to the other vessel.

He tries to see whether the ship is being rowed as well or is purely under sail.

Regardless he strings his bow..and guages the distance between the two vessels.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 16, 2006, 12:42:32 PM
In the clear morning weather it is easy to see the Vuttish longboat even though it is still far away. To the apparent satisfaction of the crew, the captain decides to take the chance and try to outrun it instead of seeking the confrontation. It should only take about a half day to reach Aranastett, and if that fails, it will at least give the two soldiers some time to get past their hangovers.

With this settled, only a quick morning service with a long prayer for help is held in the passengers' cabin, and then the passengers who are able are asked to prepare themselves for a possible boarding - these pirates are not known to take prisoners!
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 17, 2006, 09:56:08 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Unused to such communual religious activity, he sits quietly whist the Nun holds the service.

His mind clears as he brings forth images of the peace of a hunt...

When the captian asks for the passenger to prepare for possible boarding later in the morning, he wishes that he had spent more time learning the intracices of sail-craft from the whalers who he occasionally met with his father on the nrthern shores of Nordland. As it was he would only get in the way.

"Half a day..." he thought "...is that all we have to outrun them for".

His eyes drift to the heavens..."Let us hope the winds favour us.." he says.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Chifo on March 17, 2006, 04:14:07 PM
Thuriel - Male Nord

Sitting in the cabin with his guide, the nun, Thuriel looks at her questioningly as the word of pirates quickly spreads through the ship. He listens to her words yet his mind is undoubtedly on his most cherished possesion, his sword, wrapped neatly in its protective wrapping.

He breathed in deeply to calm himself as he had been taught, to find the balance that faith and patience  brings, rather than listening to the pounding of his blood and roar of his ancestry beginning to scream in his soul that he would have to unleash once more the savage within.

He tries to catch the nuns attention, looking for guidance on this.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 19, 2006, 07:23:51 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He offers help whereever needed, anything, pulling ropes otherwise he will wait, impassively staring at the pursueing ship.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 03, 2006, 11:16:51 AM
As the hours pass, the Vuttish lognboat comes closer, but it obviously will not be able to catch up before Aranastett is reached. Still, this has every man on deck very busy.

[GM] > I'd like a Sailing check (by PM or in the OOC topic) from those who are on the deck.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 12, 2006, 10:06:42 PM
At about noon, The Morning Cloud reaches the fjord in which Aranastett is located, and not a moment too soon. The pursuing longboat is only about four bow ranges away, and the crew was getting nervous even though the captain has done all that he could to keep them busy.

For the sailor Johann it has almost been business as usual (Sailing 63+29=92) even though this time his ship is not the one chasing the pirates. The cog is quite a different kind of ship to work on, though, than what he is used to from the navy.
For Lavi this has been quite an experience! Even though he has no experience at helping on such a large and bulky ship as the cog, he has done everything Captain Ustin has asked of him - even if the tasks have been suitably simple - so well that the captain doesn't think twice about which tasks to ask of him (Sailing 94+0=94).

[GM] > I'd like an Observation check (in the new Dice Roller (http://resourcemasters.com/forums/index.php?autocom=dice)) from those who are on the deck.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 12, 2006, 11:20:22 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

As he performs the tasks alloted to him he is mindful of the proximity of the persuing pirates. Had he been a wolf his hackles would have raised...a cold feeling passes across his shoulders.

He looks around intently...somethings not right. He checks the sea towards the bows...and then the crew, could one of them be working in league with the pirates?
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on April 13, 2006, 09:00:23 AM
The sailor, Johann, is relieved to have avoided the pirates, though the detour to Aranastett doesn't seem to suit him well - as they are entering the fjord he utters a loud curse at the longboat, something about the boat rotting under their feet, and something not quite suited for other ears than those of seasoned sailors (ooc: insert nasty curseing at those pirates here, not for the ears of women, children, or other normal people ;) ), and appearently it helps a bit on the mood among the rest of the crew.

As the treat seems to have worn of, he moves his focus from helping to speed the ship, and the preparations for battle, and takes a look around the ship, and the fjord.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 13, 2006, 08:38:21 PM
As the pirates come closer, Lavi takes another look at their ship and noticed that they have a red drop painted in the middle of their sail (Observation: 90+53=143). When the captain is notified about this, he goes pale for a moment. "Hrothgar..." he mutters. Then he turns and bellows at the crew: "Pick up y'er speed, men, if ya don' wanna be sacr'ficed 'live t'their heathen gods! We're bein' chased by 'rothgar the Bloody!" This sends a murmur through the crew, and makes they work as if they've just been whipped.

"The worst of 'em," the captain turns back to Lavi and says. "Not only is he the most brutal of 'em, prefer'n t'capture people rather than kill'em so that they can be sacr'ficed. He even mocks us by fly'n our holy symbol on 'is sails! I wish he'd be tak'n by the kilpa!"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 13, 2006, 08:55:42 PM
Just at The Morning Cloud is about to enter the Aranastett Fjord, Johann notices the red flag that is flying from the top of one of the cliffs (Observation: 76+29=105). "Captain!" he calls. "We can't go in there - there's a plague in Aranastett!"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 13, 2006, 10:45:39 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Looks back towards the plague flag then the pirates..

"Your choice captain..." he says shrugging "risk the plague...they may not.." he says indicating the pirates

"or risk the open seas with a madman at your back..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 20, 2006, 10:43:01 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well, captian what will it be....?" he asks again, for the captain is obviously torn between the fear of the plague and the fear of a stronger opponent.

"If it were my choice, we'd make landfall...and head inland avoiding the town...that would lessen the chances of the plague...leastwise for us." He turns and faces the following pirates.

"If you were to turn now...before you enter the fjord may be able to keep the wind...once we're in there we'll lose what advantage we had by heading into the wind....just how confiedent are you of outrunning them?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 21, 2006, 07:49:20 AM
The captain scowls, "Keen wit you got there, lad! We'll do as you s'gest." He then turns to the men on the deck and orders them to keep the course for Aranastett, and they return to their tasks without protests.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 21, 2006, 08:12:58 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He shakes the hand of the captain.

"I'll head below and inform the passengers... I don't know what will happen, hopefully the pirates will be scared off by the plague...they may wait for you outside the fjord should you leave again. It maybe they will turn away, perhaps a watch should be held..on land...there." he says pointing to the high land near where the flag was.

(OOC: How far, in days travel would it be to get to where we are going by boat...and is it practical to do so by foot...?)

He goes downstairs to the cabin...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 23, 2006, 11:27:11 PM
The cog continued into the fjord, and just before the first bend that would hide any further watching of the ocean, you saw the Vuttish longboat giving up the chase and turn away. "They'll be watchin' the entrance to this fjord, though" the captain claimed, so the ship sailed on towards Aranastett.

In the summer the sun would have been shining down between the cliffs, but now it could only reach half-way down one of the sides, so sailing through the fjord was cold and dark. At the end of the fjord, though, the cliffs were lower and the gap between them was larger, so arriving at Aranastett, it looked like a nice welcoming place to stop - if it were not for the plague warning at the mouth of the fjord...

A similar plague warning was nowhere to be seen near the harbor, though, and as the cog anchored at what was considered a safe distance from the town, a small rowing boat could be seen heading out from the harbor towards the ship. As soon as the boat was within shouting distance, the captain called for them to stop: "Ho there! Dun' come any closer, we dun' wanna be 'nfected!"
The rowing boat slowed down and the passenger called back: "What' you talking about, Ustin? 'You been drinking too much?"
The captain scowled and called: "Watch yer mouth, Callan! Why yer flyin' the red flag out at Svertcliff if yer ain't got plague?"
"Flying what?"
the man called Callan answered. "We're not suffering from anything here. Sail on into the harbor and we'll get this sorted out..." Callan then instructed the oarsman to head the boat back into the harbor, and shortly thereafter, The Morning Cloud followed it.

With the cog safely tied up in the harbor, the harbor master Callan came aboard to talk to the captain. Both were upset about the false warning, mostly Callan though, because this explained why no ship had visitted Aranastett during the last week. He started talking about calling Old Osgal back to the town, as he apparently was going completely insane now, and expressed that he would apoint a couple of men to paying him a visit.
Captain Ustin, though also upset about the misleading flag, also thought it a stroke of luck - or help from Aulor - as that is what saved The Morning Cloud from the Vuttish pirates.

After Callan left the ship, Captain Ustin gathered his crew and passengers and started by thanking Breda and Aulor for the help. The normally very reserved Breda was overwhelmed at this, but accepted the gratitude from the crew, and she ended up laughing and blushing because of their praises and cheers.
The captain then explained to them that he had decided that they would stay in Aranastett for two nights in the hope that this would be enough to make the pirates so bored waiting that they turned their eyes at another prey. He was very sorry for this delay, and hoped that it would not spoil any plans for the passengers.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 24, 2006, 03:42:01 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He breathes a sigh of relief...though the delay to his journey was somewhat annoying..

He thinks backs to the events of the past few hours.. then approaches the Captian once more..

"Captain..Sir? It is troubling me that someone would set a plague flag here... for truth it could be either, as I see it for two purposes. One to prevent trade with this port by a rival port...

(OOC: Do I know of a nearby port that would gain an advantage by doing this?)

...or perhaps the Pirates themselves seeking to keep their prey to sea...though this idea doesnt rest easily with me...surely the pirates would not be afeared of their own ruse?"

He thinks to himsel for a moment...

"Perhaps...it would be wise for a scout...or two investigate the Svertcliff...at least to take the flag down or find the reasons behind it being put there..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 28, 2006, 10:39:33 AM
"Lots'a pos'bil'ties, yes..." the captain ponders, and continues "I see no pro'lem in you join'n the group that Call'n wants to send to the Svertcliff as long's y'er back here before we leave, but better ask 'im y'erself..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 28, 2006, 11:11:26 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He quickly tells the people in the cabin of his intention to go ashore to help the party that the harbour master is preparing to investigate the false plague flag (hoping perhaps that one or more may wish to come along..otherwise he will go alone...)

He then asks permission from the Captian to leave the ship and seeks out the harbour-master...

"Harbour-master...do you wish assistance in the matter of investigating the plague flag?..." he asks when he catches up with him.

"...for I suspect two mores nights aboard the ship will cause my legs to seize up with the inactivity..." he says laughing and rubbing his legs
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on May 05, 2006, 07:11:03 PM
One of the sailors approach Lavi.
"Pardon me sir, if you plan on going investigating that warning, you might need some help. I guess two men'll have better chance of success than just one, and especially that one being, well sorry for say'in, a complete stranger to these lands."
He pauses, smiling at Lavi.
He then extends his hand, saying "By th'way, name's Johann Shay, but most 'round here just call me Shay"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 05, 2006, 10:53:25 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well met...er..Shay." he smiles. "I hadn't intended a reckless trip by myself...but would welcome the company should the town not be able to muster some guides for us."

He carefully arranges his quiver on his left side, holds his bow loosely in his left hand, then adjusts his grip on his spear.

"Shall we go then?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on May 07, 2006, 12:14:30 PM
"I'll just have to tell the capt'n I'm goin' with you, and then gather my stuff for the trip. Should only take a few moments, so just go ahead, then I'll catch up with you"

Johann leaves, to inform the captain of his intentions, and to gather his gear.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 07, 2006, 08:45:46 PM
The captain reminds you that the ship will leave the day after tomorrow and then wishes you good luck.

You leave the ship and head for the house that the captain pointed out as the one where Callan lives. The house is the only two storey house in the town, and is located close to the harbor, so it's easy to find.
At the gate you are greeted by a servant - a middle-aged man with only one arm - who upon hearing your errand agrees to take you to "The Master", as he calls him. He leads you across the courtyard, through a door at the other side of the gate, and into the house. The chamber that you enter is small and contains only four large wooden chairs with soft cushions. He looks you over once and then walks over to the door on the other side of the room. Here he knock twice and then turns around and leaves...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 07, 2006, 10:14:48 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He watches the man start to leave...but stops him before he can do so.

"Do you want us to wait...or will someone be expecting us now?"

(Assuming we are told to wait..)

Unaccustomed to comfort as he is...he stands patiently for a couple of minutes.

Should no-one answer the door before then he will knock on the door himself.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 08, 2006, 06:52:39 AM
"You will be summoned when The Master is ready," the servant replies.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 10, 2006, 09:51:30 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Looks over at Johann. Shrugs... and waits as the servant leaves.

He waits three minutes then knocks on the door himself.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 18, 2006, 10:15:54 PM
On the deck of The Morning Cloud the captain is sitting, dangling his legs over the side and smoking his pipe. He looks like he's immersed in thoughts, but looks up when Thuriel emerges from the cabin.
"Ya' look'n restless, lad! 'Nuther one of the passengers pro'bly felt the same way: he's gone to Callan to offer his help invest'gatin' why the red flag was up. If ya wanna join 'im, I can tell ya where Callan lives. I'm cert'n he won't mind havin' an extra volunteer..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 24, 2006, 11:54:52 AM
Just as Lavi is about to knock on the door, it is opened by Master Callan, and a tall, slender man with short, curly, grizzled hair, and pale blue, alert eyes leaves the room. Callan thanks him and bids him a good night, and the man returns the bid in a pleasant, deep voice. He nods and smiles kindly at you as he passes you, even though he seems worried.

"Welcome to Aranastett," Callan says as he leads you into his office. "You're travelling from Tartasborg, right?" he asks, and continues to ask about how your trip was, being particularly concerned when you describe the Vuttish pirates.
"They usually don't venture this far South in the fall, so times must be really hard for them. I've heard that it's because of a very cold and wet summer..." he remarks thoughtfully.

Callan's office contains a large desk at one end and a large table with ten chairs at the other. A pile of large books lies on one side of the desk, and a large candlestick is placed on the other side. A chandelier is hanging from the ceiling, but currently the source of light in the room is the large colorful window behind the desk - it depicts a boat filled with people, which is sailing from the dark, stormy ocean towards a sun-bathed shore - through which stream the last rays of the setting sun. The walls are covered with richly colored tapestries and a couple of bookcases filled with large books.

After a bit of more pleasant conversation, during which Callan praises the sunny weather that they've had here lately, and urges you to visit the large market at the great Karinia Square when you arrive at Selaset, he gestures at two heavy, wooden chairs placed in front of the desk, and then seats himself in his own chair behind the desk.
"I hear that you've come to offer your help investigating what has happened at Svertcliff, and I'm very grateful for that! I've already spoken to our priest Ervoni, whom you saw leaving, and he's agreed to send his son there too. He knows the area very well, and with you two volunteers, there will be no need to call other men from their jobs for the investigation. Ervoni's son will be here tomorrow at sunrise; it will take a little less than half a day to walk to Svertcliff, so you should be back by nightfall. Now, I'm sure you have a lot of questions - I'll do my best to answer them..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 24, 2006, 12:46:55 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He shifts restlessly in the unaccustomed luxury within the room.

At least until the invitation to asks questions is made.

"sir, the trip was pleasent enough...though not one that particualrly agrees with me. I would have preferred to travel by foot..anyway..." his face become a bit more serious.

"Do you know of any reason that anyone would want to discourage anyone from coming here...if as you say, the pirates do not come this far south normally, I find it unlikely that they would have laid this ploy...especially since they appeared as discouraged by the warning as the crew of the ship upon which I was travelling...?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 31, 2006, 09:34:39 AM
Callan thinks for a short while before replying.
"I've also had these thoughts, but even now I cannot come up with any answers. There are no towns in this area that can or even want to compete with Aranastett when it comes to trading with larger ships, and in general this town has no enemies - that I'm aware of - who would do this. I'm sorry to say, but my only reasonable guess is that Old Osgal has lost his mind."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 31, 2006, 11:09:15 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Old Osgal?...I've heard the name, can't say I know much more about him?, than that. Could you tell me a bit more about him?" he asks.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 06, 2006, 09:01:52 AM
"Osgal is the oldest brother of Ervoni - the priest, you remember. He's always been a bit backwards...
When his family converted to Aulorism, he stuck with the old ways of Shamanism. Over the years, Aranastett flourished and grew with settlers arriving from the South. These newcomers found Osgal and his preachings of respect for the spirits a nuisance, and Osgal became more and more isolated with his religion. Eventually took the consequence and moved out to Svertcliff,"
Callan explains.
"I don't think he bears a grudge towards people here, though, that's not his nature, so what has happend certainly surprises me..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 08, 2006, 09:05:10 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Ahhh.. Yes, I confess that the old ways I too follow" he says with a sympathetic look. "Perhaps I shall be able to help then..."

"Thank you. We shall see what is causing this problem, then return here soon..." he says rising from his seat..

"Ah yes, would there perhaps be any compensation  for our time? As we..." he indicates anyone else present... "Have little means of our own beside the equipment you see..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 08, 2006, 11:56:55 AM
[Lavi] > Trading: 13 + 96 + 39 = 148

Callan looks you over for a while, thinks, and then agrees:
"Of course you have to be properly compensated. I shall have Lokmar show you to the store rooms so that you can borrow any equipment you expect to need. Horses will probably do you no good going to Svertcliff, though, so there'll be no need for that. Upon your return, I will pay you three bronze coins each, and a suitable bonus based on the outcome of your investigation.
Now, do you have any more questions that I can answer for you?"


[GM] > Note, 3 bp for one day's work is very reasonable.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 08, 2006, 07:19:36 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"That is most generous sir... No, unless anyone has any questions we are finished here...since I have none, at least none I suspect you know the answers to..." He smiles.

"We will meet the priests son tommorow morning outside the tavern..."

"I bid you farewell..." With this he leaves and heads for what passes as a tavern in Arannastett.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on June 10, 2006, 05:29:32 PM
Johann, having nothing to add to the conversation, thanks Callan for the help, bids him a good day, and then leaves along with the others.
(OOC: how many are we actually in there? two or three travellers??)

(edit: typos)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 11, 2006, 02:28:47 PM
As the two of you are leaving, Callan thanks you again, and reminds you to ask Lokmar to show you to the store rooms, if you need anything.

[GM] > Lokmar is the one-armed servant at the gate.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 11, 2006, 09:17:13 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Thank you sir, Yes we shall" he says bowing slightly and heading straight for the one-armed servant.

"Lockar?" he says to him, hoping that Callan hasn't got two servants with only one arm...

(OOC: Since he didn't notice this when he came in...)

"I might need some rope, some travel rations...and perhaps a spare quiver have you got these things?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 11, 2006, 10:08:59 PM
"Th' Master sent ya?" Lokmar asks, looking you over. "Right then... Follow me," he continues, and heads over to another door in the courtyard, which he opens and holds for you. The room behind the door is dark, but as you approach the door, Lokmar tells you that there's a candle right next to the door that he'd like you to light.

Once the candle is lit, Lokmar takes it and walks around the room lighting other candles which are placed in niches in the walls. Soon there is enough light in the room to see that it contains a lot of boxes, crates and barrels, stacks and rolls of cloth, and lots of other things.

Having only one arm, Lokmar cannot fetch you all the things you want, but he certainly knows where everything is. "Rope's over 'ere with the climbing gear," he points, "an' ya can find a quiver and arrows there," he points to another place in the store room. "Travel rations won't be needed if yer just going to Svertcliff, but I'll have the cook make ya some lunch to bring with ya." He then looks at Johann, "what'll ya need, son?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 12, 2006, 05:24:12 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

"Yes, thank you kindly" he says smiling.

He then takes a good length of rope, the climbing gear and a spare quiver full of arrows...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on June 12, 2006, 07:10:01 AM
"Well, an extra rope might come in handy, but other than that, I don't really know" Johann pauses and looks around "As I don't know what to expect of the travel there, I was wondering if You've got any recomendations?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 12, 2006, 03:23:49 PM
Lavi- Nord Male

"Perhaps some healing herbs?" he suggests "My own skill with them is adequate, but we may need them.."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 19, 2006, 11:18:32 AM
"It's the season for rain and cold winds, so heavy woolen cloaks will probably come in handy. They're over here," Lokmar says, pointing to a pile of neatly folded woolen fabric. "And though I doubt you'll find any need for healing herbs, I'll ask the cook for that too."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 19, 2006, 03:15:19 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Yes, those unused to it will need the...and thank you, I shall have one too.." he says taking one of the cloaks.

"True there may not be a need for healing herbs but we do not know what awaits us..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 26, 2006, 02:47:20 PM
Having finished making the arrangement for the trip tomorrow with Lokmar, you head back to the ship. Here you're greeted by the huge sailor Vero, who directs you to go to one of the warehouses. The captain has made an arrangement with the harbormaster that you can stay there instead of on the ship. Vero is the only one who has been ordered to watch the ship this evening, and he's not all that pleased with that disposition. He vows to catch up the next evening, though!

Over at the warehouse, the sailors and the passengers have set up a rudimentary camp, and they're just about to start eating when you arrive. One of the sailors has cooked a good stew, and with everyone expecting to have a good night's sleep in the hay, the spirits are high and the talking is cheerful. Later that evening, the talking turns into tale telling and singing, and everyone seems to be merry.

Vero wakes you up the next morning shortly before sunrise. He has been on guard all night and is grumpy that nobody has come to take over, so while you're getting dressed, he wakes up another one of the sailors quite forcefully.

You arrive at Callan's house just as he, Lokmar, and a third man step out of the gate. Callan introduces the third man to you as Eilis - Ervoni's son and your guide for this investigation. Eilis is of average hight and build, and he's dressed in warm clothing. His hair is dark blonde and his eyes are blue, and it's obvious that he has some Nordic blood in his veins, even though his name, speech and other appearance is that of a Mekian raised in a good, Aulorean home. He sets down the small backpacks that he's carrying and greets you warmly, "Thank you for volunteering to help me pay this visit to my uncle. It's very kind of you!" After shaking hands with you he continues, "We're all worried that something may have happened to him - he's normally a very kind man even to those whom he feels has wronged him, and I cannot think of why he would want to hurt this town. But we can talk much more about that as we walk there..."
As Eilis finishes, Lokmar steps over and points out the backpack for Lavi. "There's plenty of food in each pack, and everything should be as we agreed. This one also contains some herbs, the cook said they were quite common, so he didn't care to explain what they were to me. In case you don't recognize them, though, Eilis knows a bit about the herbs in this area also, and Old Osgal knows a lot about them."

When everything is settled, Callan wishes you all a safe journey, and Eilis leads you out of town, westwards along the coast.

[GM] > I'll inform you about the contents of the backpacks in the OOC thread.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 26, 2006, 10:08:30 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well met Ellis, it is my pleasure, after all we have your community to thank for our shelter from Pirates..." he hefts the backpack and motions the youngster over..

"I was told you have knowledge of the local herbs,  these seem unfamiliar to me, could you prehaps identify them for me....they may prove useful...."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 27, 2006, 10:37:29 PM
[Eilis] > Herb Lore, O: 3 + 86 = 89
"Those leaves are Akbutege," Eilis points to the leaves that you recognized, "when eaten, they restore your strength. And that grass there is called Alambas; it soothes burned skin."
"Those other leaves, I don't know the name of, but Uncle Osgal has told me that they heal bruises..." Eilis trails off for a moment. "And the last herbs I don't know about. I think I've seen those nuts at Uncle Osgal's, but I'm not sure... I'm sure he'd love to help you with them, though!"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 28, 2006, 05:02:25 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Thank you Eilis...and thanks for being our guide. Hopefully, it will not be necessary for the herbs to be used....but these are strange times and I would not want to be caught unprepared.." he carefully repacks the herbs..

"Your Uncle, can you tell us much about him...I have heard of his religion I think, much the same as my own.. I am assuming that you have visited him before..so what can we expect..when we get there?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 02, 2006, 09:06:49 AM
As you head out of town, Eilis tells you about Old Osgal.
"Old uncle Osgal has lived out at Svertcliff for as long as I can remember, but I've been told that before then he lived in Aranastett too. I'm not sure why he left, but I remember my uncle as a very kind man who had some peculiar habits that I didn't understand at that time, so maybe that's why..."

Eilis walks on for a bit, apparently thinking of what more to tell you.
"It's several years ago since I've visitted him, though, so I mostly know about him from my father who still speaks fondly of him. I remember him living in a small cottage placed in a natural hollow which shelters it from strong winds. He's placed large decorated stones around the cottage, some just carry patterns, and others scenes from stories, but I remember that the most fascinating ones were decorated to look like strange people and creatures. Osgal would often go around to the stones and talk to them, and he called them by strange names as if they were his friends. He also used to tell me that they helped him, but I never really understood that..."

After another pause for thinking, Eilis continues, "I also remember the large tree that stood near the stone circle. It's the only tree up there, and it's very old and weatherworn, but as a kid I always found it fascinating. It was as if it radiated a strange kind of vitality, and uncle Osgal used to tell us that a very old spirit slept inside it, so my siblings and I were always very careful and quiet around it, and we rarely climbed it..." After thinking for a bit longer, he continues "I've never experienced that sensation around any other tree, so maybe he's right about that spirit... He is very knowledgable about plants and such, and even though he's given up on the town, some of the old people there, who knew him when they were younger, haven't given up on him. Occasionally, they come up here for his help - to supplement the help from my father. And yes, my father knows about this, and even though some parts of the church may think of it as a sin, he just ignores it."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 02, 2006, 09:55:17 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"This oneness with the things of the wild, the earth and nature, it seems my old friend and your uncle would have much in common" he smiles.
"...though I suspect that, given their ways, being the same doesn't make them friends.. My old friend, he too lived like your uncle...in fact it is for him I travel south, anyway, I hope your uncle is fine though a man of such spiritual peace and oneness would not wish ill on his fellows, at least unless he has, in his solitude, taken a slight against him to heart, solitude may sometimes turn with ease to bitterness..."

He walks on in silence listening to his guide and remaining alert  to the terrain that they pass through.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 06, 2006, 12:04:39 PM
Eilis looks Lavi over briefly and nods, "yes, I had the impression that you might know about the old ways... You're definitely not from around here!" He grins and tries to change the subject, "You're from the North, aren't you? I've never been further North than The Escarpment, but I've heard that they have huge forests with trees taller than these cliffs up there." He gestures to the cliffs that you can see on the other side of the fjord.

Ahead of you, you see the terrain rising to the level of the steep cliffs on the opposite side of the water. From here, the rise seems to be long but steady, without much need for climbing, but Lokmar did advise you to bring climbing gear, so maybe track you follow will become more difficult to follow later...

[GM] > The cliffs are about 50m high, which is about the same height as the tallest trees in the forests of Nordland.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 06, 2006, 06:34:18 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Every 5 minutes or so, he dropps to one knee and surveys the lay of the land. If possible he will angle up away from any precipitous drops...

"As tall as these cliffs?...nearly perhaps...but then again I never had any cause to actually climb them..." he says smiling.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 07, 2006, 12:15:32 PM
A coll, fresh wind is blowing directly at you from the East and Northeast, but you're kept warm by the cloaks Lokmar gave you. Large, feathery clouds are chasing across the part of the sky that you can see.

This early in the morning, there's not much light on the path, as the sun has yet to rise above Svertcliff ahead of you. The path continues uphill for as long as you can see, and in spite of the lack of light, it's easy to follow its progression through the short grass and low, windswept bushes. It looks quite safe, and Eilis leads you along it without any signs of uncertainty or nervousness. Therefore, he looks curiously at Lavi the first few times that he drops to survey the land, but he doesn't comment it.

After walking for about an hour, the sun has risen so far into the sky that you can easily see the path turning right up ahead, to go around a wide, steep slope. "We'll be climbing that slope instead of going around it. That'll save us about an hour's worth of travel time" Eilis remarks, as you take a short break to have a drink of water. "You've both been given ropes by Lokmar, haven't you, so it shouldn't be much of a problem."

About half an hour later, you arrive at the bottom of the slope, and Eilis leads you along it until he finds a spot that seems easy to climb.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 09, 2006, 03:21:19 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Takes rope, ties grapple on it, then hurls it up the slope, pulls on it to make sure it's secure then heads upwards... (If the slope is greater than 45 degrees...if less then he'll just clamber up using his spear as a walking pole)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 10, 2006, 10:49:55 AM
The place that Eilis has selected for the climb has a quite steep, rocky slope of about 8 meters. It has several good footholds, though, and it seems that a good climber could climb it without the use of a rope.

Lavi climbs the slope easily ([Lavi] > Climbing : 23 + 69 + 20 (Easy) = 112), and Eilis stays below to help Johann with the ascent if he needs it.

At the top of the slope, Lavi has a great view down at the town of Aranastett and of the cliff on the other side of the fjord. There are some fishing boats on the fjord, and lots of birds flying around the cliffs.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on July 10, 2006, 12:13:33 PM
Johann tries to secure the rope, then makes a go at climbing the cliff, taking good care of where he places his hands and feet.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 10, 2006, 01:00:52 PM
Though the climb should be easy, Johann suddenly finds himself dangling halfways up the slope. His foot has slipped, but he holds on tightly to the rope, even though he happens to bruise his left shoulder ([Johann] > Climbing: 21 + 06 + 20 (Easy) = 47; Damage: 2HP). With the assistance of Lavi and Eilis, he manages to get up the slope, though.

Eilis follows you up easily ([Eilis] > Climbing: 19 + 73 + 40 (Routine) = 132), and he checks Johann's bruise ([Eilis] > First Aid: 23 + 28 + 40 (Routine) = 91) before you move on.
"It's about another one-and-a-half hour to Osgal's cottage, and there's one more climb on the way..." he tells you.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 10, 2006, 10:27:28 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"So , another climb..?" he says to the other two, whilst he coils up the rope and grapple. A brief flicker of a sympathetic smile crosses his face. "Good...perhaps the time saved will get us there before lunch...I'm getting a bit hungry now with all this fresh air."

To Johann he says quietly.. "Never mind, no doubt you'll be helping me up after the next climb...never been good with heights.."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on July 15, 2006, 10:11:17 PM
"Well, the height doesn't bother me much, but it's surely something different from climbing the mast of a ship" Johann rubs his shoulder a bit "but sure, I'll try to help you as good as I can" Johann smiles, then packs up his rope and gets ready for moving on.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 16, 2006, 09:46:06 PM
"I expect us to be at my uncle's cottage before noon. I hope, he'll share lunch with us... And if he's in a good mood, he'll probably also share some of his home-made spicy snaps with us" Eilis grins, as he leads you on.

After another three-quarters-of-an-hour of walking uphills, you reach a bend from which you have a great view out through the mouth of the fjord. The scenery is magnificent with the tall, rocky cliffs with various sea-birds between them, and with the contrasting waters below: the rough ocean behind the calmer waters of the fjord.
[Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 60 = 113
[Johann] > Observation: 29 + 10 = 39
[Eilis] > Observation: 33 + 80 = 113
Lavi is quick to notice that a ship is entering the fjord. It looks like a rich cog, both larger in itself and with a larger forecastle. Its sail is striped vertically with blue and white stripes.
Eilis also notices the ship, and hushes you while waving you down behind the edge of the cliff. He looks worried and mutters "That's Dreggo's ship! He may be the most shrewd of all the traders here, but why would he disregard the red flag?"
Johann was busy looking ahead at the rocky ledge just up ahead, but at the mention of a ship, he turns and looks at it too.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2006, 07:55:59 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Couching down again, he looks towards the ship...

"What do you know of this Dreggo? Could he be in league with the person who set the plague flag?" he says looking back at the craft trying to judge it condition and how many are aboard...

"We should not tarry here...your uncle may be in trouble..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on July 22, 2006, 04:13:51 PM
"Maybe we shold be a bit more cautious as we move along, and make haste as good as we can.
They might just have decided to investigate as well as we have, but we'd better be safe than sorry"
Johann looks at the ship, trying to eviluate how much of a threat it might pose, both to the group, and for the ships journey later on.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 23, 2006, 04:46:04 PM
"Dreggo is an unscrupulous and opportunistic businessman, and in a way I'm not surprised that he ignores the flag. That, of course, makes him very unpopular with the other traders, but as you can see, he's very accomplished," Eilis replies, indicating that the ship down in the fjord looks clearly superior to The Morning Cloud. "Still, " Eilis continues, "I cannot imagine that Dreggo would set aside the laws and abuse the red flag. That would surely be the end of his business!"
"Still, I seem to recall that he was here about a week ago, which, if I understand correctly, is about the time that the flag must have been raised. So yes, let's move on quickly,"
Eilis says, heading on towards the rocky ridge.

A short while later, you're ready for the climb. It looks a bit harder than the previous one, but ends up giving no problems at all...
[Eilis] > Climbing : 19 + 76 + 20 (Easy) = 115
[Johann] > Climbing : 21 + 72 + 10 (Light) = 103
[Lavi] > Climbing : 23 + 63 + 10 (Light) = 96

At the top of the ridge, you can see a large, weather-worn tree and a small cottage nested in a kind of a bowl in the rocky slope in the distance, and behind that, you can see the large, red banner billowing in the wind.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 23, 2006, 06:17:32 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Stooping low he heads towards the cottage, using any available cover to hide his approch...when he gets closer (about 200-300 ft away), he'lll crouch down and take a good, long look at the surrounding area to see if he can hear any sentries posted around.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on July 24, 2006, 07:21:37 PM
Johann stays back, in some sort of cover, and let's Lavi do his thing - he seems to know what he's doing.
Just to prepared, he slips of his gear and readies his weapon if trouble should arise.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 05, 2006, 09:47:47 AM
Lavi

(My recollection is: having successfully managed to creep a bit closer, Lavi notices that the home is a low cottage affair with a earthen grassy roof and he sees a man *resting* under a tree. There are stones (set in a circle?) of various sizes around the area...)

Lavi will simply observe for a few more moments...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 07, 2006, 12:04:29 PM
The man under the tree is quite young. He's dressed like a traveller, and has laid his bag and his walking staff on the ground next to him while he eats his lunch. Although he is looking in your direction, it doesn't seem as if he has seen you, and he doesn't appear to be keeping watch or anything like that...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 07, 2006, 01:04:17 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Slowly, rise to my feet and approach quietly and cautiously...but making no attempt to conceal myself. Loosely holding my spear in my left hand, using it as a walking aid, I approach to within 50ft (if he does not spot me before then and then hail him...

"Hello there! Do you know the whereabouts of Old Osgal ?"

Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 07, 2006, 09:23:53 PM
Young man, resting
His eyes open quickly, perhaps in surprise; and though he remains in repose against the tree it's clear that he has tensed slightly.  His youthful face bears an expression that seems to be a studied attempt at imperturbability.  

He takes in this person addressing him and then looks past him to see if he is accompanied by anyone else.  After a brief moment spent taking in the scene he leans forward, "that name's unknown to me, though if you mean the owner of this hut I took it for abandoned and no one answered my call.  But I've been here only long enough to take my rest and a bit of food on my way through."  He opens his mouth to continue, but then says nothing more.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 08, 2006, 08:38:27 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Greeting to you then traveller, I am Lavi, I too do not hail from these parts, but are on an errand for the town further down the Fjord. I seek Osgal, the owner of this hut." he looks around.

Sees the young man looking around..

Raises his voice and indicates to the others to come forward.

"Yes, I travel with two others...and seek the owner to inquire if he should know anything about the plague flag that has been placed on the cliffs near here..."

"Do you know anything of this?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 08, 2006, 09:37:58 AM
In response to Lavi's actions, Eilis also stands up and approaches the young man, while still rubbing his bruised hand. Eilis is of average hight and build, and he's dressed in warm clothing. His hair is dark blonde and his eyes are blue, and it's obvious that he has some Nordic blood in his veins. He carries a small pack on his back and a shortsword at his side.

"I'm Eilis, and Osgal is my uncle," Eilis says, countering the Nordic looks; he's obviously from an Aulorean home. Waiting for an answer to Lavi's question, Eilis looks the traveller over from head to toe, and then looks more closely at the surroundings.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 08, 2006, 05:24:16 PM
Hurael - male
He watches Eilis approach and nods to them both in greeting.  "My name is Hurael, I'm travelling from Mediosol.  I'm afraid I know nothing of this hut or of flag above."  His eyes betray an obvious concern and his brows knit as he looks up toward the flag curling in the wind above.

Standing, he says,  "I'm unfamiliar with these lands, and am bound for Aranastett... though if that is a plague flag perhaps my journey stops here.  What town's errand are you on, has the plague appeared there?  I'm loath to turn back, and would prefer to find passage out of these plague lands via ship."

He looks then at Eilis, his expression tinged with a grim concern, "I heard no answer to my hails as I approach this hut, and as I said, took it to be abandoned from its state of repair.  Neither have I heard any sound of man or animal beyond the birds since I took my rest here.  Of your uncle..." he shakes his head, "I pray he is on an errand himself..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 08, 2006, 07:02:40 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Fear not of the plague, the way to the town is safe, we've just come from there and I saw no plague. We two.." indicates the sailor and himself "...are travellers too, and it seems our destination is the same. The captian of the boat we were travelling on sought shelter here from pirates..we offered to investigate the flag. However, we suspect that it was set for some other purpose, to scare people off..." he shruggs.

"We saw a ship entering the fjord just a while ago...IT didn't seem worried about the flag, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with gaining some sort of advantage in a trade deal..." he looks towards the hut.

"Never the less, we are here now....so we must persue our investigation...if the other agree" he stops to look at the others.. "Then perhaps you could accompany us..."

"Until then...we must find out what happened to Osgal..." he says.

He then prepares his spear for use and approaches the hut from the side, so that he can not be veiwed directly from inside.. when (and if) he gets there he will listen, smell and then finally peek inside.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 08, 2006, 08:32:04 PM
Hurael - Median(sp?) male
"I thank you for your offer.  I'm no trouble and am a fair hand at some tasks when help is needed.  If you companions extend the same offer I'd be pleased to finish this leg of the journey with someone to talk to other than the hills."  He grins and gathers up his walking stick and the cloth sack he uses to hold his scant travelling gear.

As Lavi moves past to the hut itself, Hurael will turn to Eilis, "is your Uncle a shaman?"  He looks back over to the stone circle and try to determine if the stones that have been toppled were toppled recently or some time ago.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on August 09, 2006, 07:38:07 AM
As Eilis aproached, so did another young man, with the looks of a sailor.

He keeps his distance while the others talk, then, as Lavi moves towards the hut, he moves to follow, and as he gets closer to Hurael he extends a hand, beams a friendly smile, and say "Name's Johann Shay. Pleased to meet you".
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 09, 2006, 01:07:35 PM
Seeing the toppled stones surrounding the cottage, Eilis's eyes widen and he gasps for air. "Be careful with those stones, Lavi!" Eilis calls. Turning to face Hurael and Johann too, he continues "Yes, as Hurael suggested, Osgal is a shaman or, as I've heard him call himself: a 'rister', which I believe is the Nordic word for a stone carver. But these stones have always been standing upright around the cottage..." He's quite agitated and pauses to think for a moment.
"Even though my religion has no connection with the spirit world, I have little reason to doubt the warnings that Osgal gave when my siblings and I were playing too close to the stones. And it wasn't all just superstition, I could usually feel a strange tingling in the back of my neck when I came close to some of the largest stones.
But it worries me that the stones are toppled - something strange has certainly happened here! I don't know if they have merely been pushed or if the spirits inside them have done this; I don't even know if there are still spirits inside them..."
Eilis trails off, looking worried.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 09, 2006, 01:52:05 PM
Hurael - Mekian male
"Johann," he says with a smile and takes Johann's offered hand.  Eilis' gasps turn his attention back to the stones and the hut, and as Eilis delivers his warning about the stones his expression drains of pleasure.  "There's no wind nor animal that would push these stones over.  It's malice."  He moves to follow Lavi, though he steps closer to some of the nearer toppled stones and peers down at them as he passes to the hut.

When he reaches the hut he will move round behind it to encircle and explore it cautiously.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 17, 2006, 10:53:01 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Osgal! Are you in there? We have come from the town...with your nepthew... are you all right?" he calls as he approaches closer to the hut...spear in hand ready should anyone rush out.

(OOC: If he hears no reply, he'll stop with his back to the wall by the doorway..and listen, if he still hears nothing he'll go in...)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 21, 2006, 10:04:36 AM
All the stones in the circle have been carved with symbols. Some seem to resemble people or animals, others are patterns, and the rest are just strange symbols. Inside the circle is a small vegetable patch in front of the cottage. Most of the soil is bare now that the crops have been harvested, but a few rows of kale and leeks have been left standing on one side of the entrance path, and a small clamp has been made on the other side. Apart from that, several small bushes line the front of the cottage.
With Eilis having found what he claims to be a safe place to cross inside the stone circle, you spread out and approach the cottage from different directions, watching and listening for signs of life inside. Everything is quiet, though, and there is no reply to your calls.

Lavi and Eilis enter the cottage cautiously, but quickly find that it is deserted, and has been so for several days. The main room of the cottage contains a fireplace with a pot hanging from the roof, a bed, some sealed clay pots, and a large chest. Above you, all sorts of different plants and small sacks hang under the roof, giving the room a fresh, spicy smell. The other room is a pen, but it appears not to have been used for a long time.
Although he tries to hide it, it clearly upsets Eilis that there's noone in the cottage. "Maybe he's just out hunting birds," he mutters, "but that doesn't explaing what has happened to the stones... and that doesn't take days... "

Meanwhile, Hurael is searching for clues behind the cottage, but finds that the narrow area between the back of the cottage and the cliff wall is only used for the dunghill and the firewood shelter.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 21, 2006, 11:00:50 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"So he isn't here...ok, we need to check the approaches to this place for tracks...perhaps we'll find some clues as to where he has gone...and I think we ought to start on the trail that takes us to the area where the flag was..or is.."...looks around at Ellis...

"That chest, since it's your uncles...you'd better see whats in it...you wouldn't want common travellers just coming along and helping themselves...and better a relative have anything valuable than just leave it here. If we find him well...then you can just give anything valuable back..."

He then heads out the cottage and starts looking for tracks, especially in the direction of the marker flag on the coast...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 26, 2006, 04:03:56 PM
Hurael - Mekian male

Hurael will give what little is behind the cottage a search for any sign of recent use or disuse, then either move to cautiously enter the cottage from any rear door it has, or if it lacks such a door, move round the front of the cottage.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 27, 2006, 06:58:08 PM
Behind the cottage, it looks as if nothing has been used for the past week. There are cobwebs on the axe in the shelter and nothing on the dunghill looks fresh.

As Hurael enters through the back door, he finds Eilis and Lavi looking through the contents of the living room for signs of Osgal. "I'll look in the chest later," Eilis replies to Lavi, "let's get that flag down first - we'll also have a good view of the area from up there." With that, he heads out towards the flag.

Walking along the path, you all look for tracks that can help you figure out what has been going on here, but you quickly realize that any tracks that could have been here would have been washed away by the rain a few days ago. Still, you are all alert of the area.

The path is only a couple of hundred meters long, ending at the highest point of the area. It winds between stones protruding from the grass, and a few times it leads around some fissures in the cliff - at one place it even looks as if the entire cliff could slide into the ocean some time. Eilis leads you on, though, not taking any notice of that.

Midway up the path, Hurael stumbles over a rock, and looks quite surprised as he stands up again...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 28, 2006, 08:29:24 AM
Lavi -Nord Male

Stop and turn when he hears Hurael fall....

(I'm assuming that I was probably at the front...)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on August 28, 2006, 09:19:40 AM
Johann
Reaches out for Hurael as he stumbles, so he won't fall of the cliff...

(Hereby, I' walking as last man...)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 29, 2006, 02:15:04 PM
Hurael - Mekian male
"My thanks," he says - winded.  "Just a bit of unsteadiness - the food has not yet shaken off the wear of this morning's journey.  I will rest a moment here to catch my breath."  He moves slightly off the path to let Johann pass him by; he takes a small pull at his canteen.  "Will catch you up in a moment."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on September 04, 2006, 10:36:06 AM
Reaching the flag, Eilis turns back to check on his companions and, with a look of astonishment on his face, calls out: "Hey, Hurael! Be careful out there!"
As Johann and Lavi turn to see what is happening to Hurael, they see him standing about 50 meters from the place on the path where he rested. He doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger...
"Just stay where you are," Eilis continues, "the terrain is very treacherous out there. I'll come and help you out." He then heads back down the path.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 04, 2006, 10:05:02 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Frowning somewhat... "Hey, how did you manage to wander so far off the path Hureal ?" he shouts.. "Yes, you'd better stay there." Turns to Ellis.. "Take this rope with you, I'll play it out as you go and retreive him."

Looks towards who ever is left..."something isn't right here..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on September 05, 2006, 06:26:39 AM
Johann looks around, cautiously, and keeps on the ready for helping with the rope if the need should arise.

If nothing looks out of place around the flag - apart from the flag itself - he'll look out over the water, to see if anything is going on out there, and to see if the pirates should still be around.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on September 08, 2006, 07:41:52 PM
Hurael - Mekian male

Turns at Eilis' call, a grim expression on his face.  "I'm fine - but..." he looks down within the fissure that he stands near to, "there's something down here."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on September 08, 2006, 11:15:38 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Well...stay there until we get a rope to you then we'll see what it is when we've secured a rope....or perhaps we can belay someone down to have a better look..." he says with a look of concern on his face.

Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 02, 2006, 09:47:03 PM
As Eilis reaches Hurael, he looks down into the fissure at what Hurael is looking at, and is clearly shocked by what he sees. After a moment, though, he seems to regain his composure, and he calls out: "I think we've found him! The climb down there looks simple enough, so there'll be no need for the rope."

He climbs down into the fissure and moves toward what he and Hurael have seen, calling for the rest of you to follow him - even though the fissure looks quite small. "It'll be difficult to lift him out of here alone, so please come and help me." But as it turns out, there's just room enough for you to stand around the body that Eilis kneels at. It is obvious that this is Eilis's uncle, and as Eilis examines him carefully, you can see that his face is severely bruised, and that some of his limbs are probably broken. After a short while, Eilis stand up and thoughtfully. "I can't make anything out of this. He seems to be deeply unconscious, though he shouldn't have survived a fall like this. And why would he go wandering up here...?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 02, 2006, 10:11:46 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Since I doubt your uncle would sleep walk...I expect whoever did all of this either pushed or threw him here. If he were unconsious, then he would have been relaxed...and sometimes thats better when you fall a great distance. Your uncle? Do you know if he had the power to heal himself?..my...mentor could ummm shut down to heal himself though he normally just meditated...these injuries look bad, perhaps the body had too much to heal?".. he looks at the others.

"Can anyone else do anything for him? His injuries are beyond my skills.." he looks back up to the top of the crevasse.

"We should move him..but carefully, perhaps a cradle? I'll go see what I can find..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 05, 2006, 07:16:20 PM
You notice that one of Osgal's fists is clutched tightly around something hanging from a necklace - the leather string is hanging from his hand.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on October 07, 2006, 01:08:05 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

OOC: assuming it's Lavi that noticed the leather strap.

"I've no skill of healing; I'll go search for a few stout branches."  He will start off to do so, the likeliest place being back near the cottage.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on October 08, 2006, 02:42:39 PM
"Can't help on the healing, but maybe we should think more of that, soon as we've got him up from here."
Johann looks up the sides of the fissure, then climbs up and begins to prepare what ever ropes are nearby for lifting the wounde man out.

(OOC: how deep is the fissure?)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 09, 2006, 08:33:57 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He checks whatever is in Osgals fist...though he is careful not to stop it being in contact with Osgal's skin.

(OOC: Just in case it is actually keeping him alive.)

Looking up... "Yes...umm anybody recognise what this is?" he indicates the (insert whatever it might look like...probably a pendant).
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 13, 2006, 09:23:25 AM
While Hurael is fetching branches, you open Osgal's fist and see a dark red, drop shaped stone [OOC: Haematite] hanging from the string. As Eilis sees it, he frowns. "That looks like Edric's Blood Drop... He always used to brag about how he could get anything he wanted from his father, and this stone, he claimed, would always keep him healthy. I've heard that he left Aranastett about a week ago, though... In any case, I think we'd better let Osgal hold on to it for now." He closes Osgal's fist again.

Shortly after this, Hurael returns carrying some strong branches of about 10' each. With the fissure being only about 8' deep, that makes it quite easy to tie Osgal securely to the branches and lift him out.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on October 17, 2006, 05:09:51 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"It would seem best to get him back into his own bed until he either recovers enough to be moved further or someone can fetch a healer from town, I'd say."  Hurael sets about making sure the branches are lashed together firmly and the make-shift frame is sturdy.

He takes a moment or two as he works to inspect the edge of the fissure and look for anything that might seem out of the ordinary.  "It seems strange," he says aloud, "that your uncle would fall so near to home - an area one would think he knew well.  Was he in poor health?"  and then to himself he mumbles "the stone circle disturbed, the plague flag, and an odd fall."

"Who would wish to fly this flag when no plague has fallen upon the town?"  He then asks aloud, vaguely directed at Ellis.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 18, 2006, 01:45:19 PM
"Let's get Osgal up before we discus this," Eilis replies. "And maybe one of you could run up and take the banner down while the rest of us do the heavy lifting," he continues, looking at Johann and Lavi.

Later, as you are carrying the stretcher with Osgal down to his hut, Eilis shares his thoughts about this matter with you: "I don't understand that Osgal could fall into the fissure by himself either - he always warned my siblings and me about going near that area, so he was well aware of how dangerous it is... So if he was pushed, there are strong indications that it was Edric who did it, as it's his pendant Osgal's holding in his hand. But I heard that he left town about a week ago - unfortunately I didn't see it myself as I was on an errand myself northwest of Aranastett and only returned three days ago, but Master Callan told me. But if Osgal was pushed into the fissure more than a week ago, I'm surprised he's still alive!"
He thinks for a bit, then continues: "I also don't understand how Edric could have anything to do with the plage banner. He'd not only be hurting the town by raising it, he'd almost cripple his family, as his father is the wealthiest merchant here, and everyone knows that this is one of the busiest times of the year when the last ships sailing northwards stop by here... And although Edric's a spoiled brat, I'd think him capable of realizing the consequences of such an act..."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 20, 2006, 11:15:51 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He shakes his head... "I for one do not know...I will go and take this flag down, perhaps then we'll see whether this other ship we saw earlier has anything to do with it. Perhaps Edric was being blackmailed... and those who were doing this...all...were in league with certain merchants who sought financial gain. I am a simple man, I wish to help solve this problem then be on my way..." he looks at the injured man then Ellis.

"For the moment, you best stay and look after your uncle.."

He then wanders outside to see if they are being observed...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 31, 2006, 12:09:33 PM
As Lavi leaves the cottage, he spots a hooded person coming up the path towards him.

Meanwhile, Eilis starts a fire in the pit and asks Johann to fetch some water from the barrel behind the hut.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on October 31, 2006, 08:29:34 PM
Johann takes a bucket and walks out the backdoor to the barrel, whistling an old sailors tune.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on October 31, 2006, 08:33:26 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Raises a hand in greeting, however he holds his spear loosely in the other. He speaks loudly to alert those still inside the building....and before the hooded person can approach to within melee range.

"Hail..traveller...and well met. We visit our friend Osgal who lives hereabouts. How do you find yourself travelling in this direction..are you headed towards town?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on October 31, 2006, 11:17:28 PM
The hooded person staggers closer to Lavi supported by a walking stick, and turns out to be quite short - only just over 5 feet tall. As the person comes close to the toppled stones in the stone circle, it stops, looks up, and pulls the hood back. It turns out to be an old woman with white hair gathered in a bun. She stares at Lavi with her piercing, pale-blue eyes, and lashes out at him in her shrill voice: "Some fine friends, messing up the whole place! And you're surely not from around here, or you'd know that I live down in the village. So what are you, highwaymen, murderers and looters?" Her voice rises dramatically in pitch on the last words...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 01, 2006, 08:19:32 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"No lady... we are not...this..." he indicates the toppled stones etc.. "..is not our doing. I am Lavi, a traveller from the north, recently arrived by ship on a journey south sheltering here from pirates. I volenteered my services to the headman to investigate an incident that affects the town. I travel with the nephew of the resident here, Old Osgal, whose home this is and a few of like mind. When we arrived here we found the stones thus and Osgal badly injured nearby... perhaps you know of the healing ways...as alas my own skills are quite limited.."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on November 01, 2006, 01:50:18 PM
At the sound of the womans shrill voice Johann drops the bucket and quickly moves around the house, a hand ready at his dagger.
Not having heard anything but the last part of the conversation, he stops when he rounds the corner to the front of the house, looking at Lavi, then the old woman, then waiting to see what happens, removing his hand away from the dagger, but still alert if anything unsuspected should happen.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on November 02, 2006, 09:04:01 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Glances out the window at the conversation. "A friend of your Uncle's?" he asks Ellis.  "Do you know her?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 03, 2006, 02:52:09 PM
The old woman continues to accuse you of being up to no good, apparently not listening to Lavi's explanations. Suddenly her expression changes to one of concern, and the pitch of her voice falls a bit again: "What are you saying?! Is Osgal injured? What happened? Let me through to him!" She moves forward quickly to enter the cottage.

Meanwhile, inside the cottage, Eilis explains that this is Utta, an old spinster from the town. "She's a bit odd, but really kind, and everyone knows that she has a crush on my uncle..." he smiles, and walks over to open the door.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 15, 2006, 10:36:43 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He relaxes somewhat when he realises that the woman is known to Ellis.

"Fine, yes, please go tend to him...."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: salun on November 15, 2006, 03:11:18 PM
As the woman is let in to the house Johann returns to fetch the water.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 20, 2006, 11:50:54 AM
Over the next half hour, Utta tends to Osgal, setting all of you to work helping her. Her organisation skills are amazing: there's always something for you to do, and you're all finished at the same time, and during that same time, she is able to examine and dress Osgal's wounds.

It is not before that is done, that Utta turns her full attention to you. She listens intently to Eilis's tale of what has happened - he only talks of you as travellers, never mentioning your destination - and she frowns at his description of where Osgal was found. When Eilis has finished his tale, she offers you this: "Let me stay and watch over Osgal, while Eilis leads you back to town to catch your boat. That way you, Eilis, can also bring some people back here so that we can take Osgal home for proper treatment."

Eilis looks about to challenge the suggestion of bringing Osgal back to town, but then just nods and looks at you...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 24, 2006, 04:08:44 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"We came here to investigate why the plague flag was flying on the cliffs near here. Obvioiusly something is amiss, since Osgal was found injured in such strange circumstances. We cannot guarentee whoeever set this ruse is not nearby...I could not abandon neither you or Osgal until I believe it is safe to do so. Now we have taken the flag down we can head back to the village together. Our ship is not due to leave just yet...I believe we have plenty of time to return, even carrying Osgal."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on November 26, 2006, 07:23:59 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"I agree; we would do no favors by leaving you here unattended.  Are there other neighbors in the area who might perhaps lend us a cart or beast to help transport your uncle back to town?  If so I can walk there and ask their aid in this."
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 29, 2006, 02:26:25 PM
"You are most generous," Eilis replies, "but darkness falls quickly this time of year, and wandering around here in the darkness is dangerous and foolish. Still, if we move quickly, we can hopefully be past the climbs when twilight falls. Depending on how you intend to transport Osgal, there's the shorter trip that we took this morning with all the climbs, and the longer but much smoother trip that Utta took to choose between... But we must be quick!"

Meanwhile, Utta scowls at you before whe turns back to tending to Osgal.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 04, 2006, 12:06:33 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"So...we go now...by the longer safer path..."

(OOC: attempts Weather Watching skill...to gauge weather conditions, if its likely to rain heavily, tell/suggest taking tarps and extra blankets etc.. Oh and is there any chance I can have another copy of my character...I think I lost it a while back in the crash.. :angry: , and I'm not sure If I have any applicable spells..)
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 08, 2006, 07:34:48 PM
You wrap Old Osgal in as many blankets as you can find and place him on the stretcher again. Whilre you're doing that, Utta selects some of the dried herbs and some small, sealed jars for you to carry too, and within half an hour you're ready to leave. The weather hasn't changed and doesn't seem likely to either: cold wind from the Northeast and a  light cloud cover.

You take turns at carrying the stretcher and helping Utta where needed to make progress as fast as possible, and you proceed downhill, the sun disappears behind the cliffs on the opposite side of the fjord. It will soon be dark, but you are quite close to the town now, Eilis tells you, and soon after you can see the lights from it as well as from the two ships anchored up nearby.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 09, 2006, 02:58:16 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He presses onwards into the town, though he is somewhat concerned about the second ship and it's crew and suspiciously scans ahead for unusual activity...
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 18, 2006, 08:34:16 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"Ellis, perhaps you and I should run ahead and warn the healers of our approach?"
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 20, 2006, 07:56:14 AM
From the distance, you have noticed a fire burning in what Eilis assumes to be the market square. Soon you are too close to the town to see it properly, though.

You pass through the town stockade just as it is closed for the night. Although the guards are interested in who you are carrying and in what has happened to him, their attention is quickly brought back to the gate by their commander. Normally, towns like this seem to fall asleep at this time, but there are usually still a couple of people hurrying home in the streets. Tonight the streets are deserted, but you can hear someone shouting in the market square. As you get closer, you can begin to make out more and more words - it sounds like a man preaching to the citizens, but Eilis is certain that it is not his father, and you hear the name Astion praised several times.

Arriving at the market square, you see quite a lot of people gathered along the edge of the square, and a large bonfire is burning in the middle. Near the fire you see three men, bald and clad in flowing white robes - it is one of these men who is preaching. Keeping the common people away from the fire and the three white-clad men are five men, unusually dark-skinned and bald, and wearing fiery red robes, but also what appears to be crowns of fire - though it doesn't seem to burn them.

The preaching man in the middle of the square continues his speech: "... for as you know, Aulor the Righteous has decided to grace us with an avatar again: Astion who will clean not only the people but all the lands, that Aulor may again look upon us, his servants, with pride. And as it has been foreseen by Yenk, the first actions of Astion will be to cleanse the world of heathens, of sinners and of false messengers, and he will not be merciful!" his voice rises to suit his message. He then continues in his normal voice: "Therefore, we - Aulor's most loyal servants, followers of Astion - offer you cleansing, not just through baths and meditation, but by the only means that really cleanses: through fire!" At this, the crowd gasps, and you hear cries of "blasphemy", "madness" and "fire dancers" and see several people perform the gestures that ward off evil.

The preacher waits for the crowd to settle down a bit before continuing: "I hear cries of blasphemy from you, but is that not also what people cried at Arkon? That and madness? Who are you to judge us, the most loyal and devoted servants of our Lord? No, it is you who are mad, if you do not accept our offer to you, I tell you!"

The crowd across the square opens and lets Ervoni through, and he walks to stand a few paces in front of the crowd. "Who are you, who dares to scare these people with your doomsday prophesies and your flashy tricks? I'll take your test of fire to prove to the people that what you offer them is either mere illusions or real, painful flames - both without cleaning powers, and both only to your gain. Take me to your fire!" he says, stepping forward towards the two men in red in front of him.

"NO!" Eilis cries, "don't do it, father!" Suddenly everyone is looking at your group, and you notice that the two other white-clad men grow pale. As does Eilis when one of them throws himself to his knees in front of the preacher.

"Forgive us, Barcus! We have failed you. I insisted that we burned him with his house, but Ulkvar insisted that we just left him for the birds." he whines, pointing at the third white-clad man. "Forgive us!" he whimpers, staying down.

"Silence!" the preacher shouts, spreading his arms. As the crowd goes quiet, he looks around, focussing mainly on Ervoni, on Eilis and you, and on the other two white-clad men. His eyes narrow as he continues, "yes, you have indeed failed me, Edric! But you have not done so in vain." he smiles. "Your sinful bodies must of course be cleansed, but it would be so during the initiation ceremony too, so let that be done now and here! Consider it an honor to pass the initiation here in front of your own friends and family, even if the ceremony is not as pompous as it would normally be. Also, it will prove my point better than having that dissident priest burn up for all his sins. Take them!" he calls to the red-clad men, who turn around and quickly seize Edric and Ulkvar. At this Ulkvar falls to his knees too, crying out to their apparent leader: "No, I am the only one to blame for this! I am the only one who needs cleansing!"

This causes quite a lot of commotion in the crowd, and some people start moving forward now that there are only three red-clad men to keep them away. But the crowd quickly backs off again, as fire seems to leap up from the hands of the three men when the crowd gets too close. One woman doesn't back away willingly, however, wailing and crying out to Ulkvar, but some of the nearby people help her to prevent her from setting herself on fire too.

Meanwhile the two white-clad men are led toward the bonfire, which has died down a little. At the signal of the leader, Edric is pushed into the fire, and the flames leap up around him as he screams in panic. Then he suddenly goes quiet and walks out of the fire again, mostly unharmed. The sends the crowd from a state of surprise and disbelief into one of awe, and Barcus gleefully cries out "Behold the new, righteous priest of Astion, blessed by Aulor, blessed by Astion, and cleansed by the flames here in front of all of you!". As people quiet down again, the leader signals again and Ulkvar is pushed into the fire. He doesn't resist it and is quiet at first, but suddenly he cries out loudly, a cry of terror and pain. The crowd moves forward again, and it takes all five of the guards, all with flaming hands, to hold people back as the fire in the middle of the square suddenly dies out leaving but a smoking, charred lump in the center. Then the leader cries "This is what happens to sinners! Go home and repent your sins, and ready yourselves for the coming of Astion!" With these words, he leaves the commotion together with the obviously shocked Edric and surrounded by the five red-clad guards and return to the boat that carries them back to the large ship.
Title: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 22, 2006, 09:45:20 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Frowns deeply...and with a scowl on his face turns to the rest of his companions

"...bloody fanatics..." he says quietly then turns to Ellis. "Ellis... perhaps you do not know what danger you have put your uncle...and us, in here by attracting their attention..please think next time...if there is a next time."

He then turns to the old woman... "Let us quickly get him.." indicating Osgal ".. somewhere safe."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 02, 2007, 10:14:10 AM
"Wouldn't you do the same if your father offered to throw himself on a fire just to prove some lunatics wrong?" Eilis replies with a frown, "I had no intent of attracting their attention, but nothing happened to us and I think we are closer to figuring out what happened to Osgal.

You meet with Ervoni and some of his employees, he orders them to take care of Osgal and Utta. "Let's go home so you can tell me about what you have experienced," he says to you, leading you back to his house.

Sitting in his office, each of you with a glass of heated wine, he encourages you to tell about what has happened.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 06, 2007, 05:33:05 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He frowns slightly, as if disagreeing with Ellis. "Yes...perhaps..."

When encouraged to tell of their experiences he does so... he doesn't leave anything out.. saying that he believes that Osgal may have been attacked and left for dead for his beliefs.

"I still don't exactly know what has happened here.. these fanatics are bound to be involved somehow...perhaps they mean to isolate the town... anyway the flag has been removed...though it would be a simple matter to put another up..." he shrugs.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on January 07, 2007, 09:42:29 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"I came upon Osgal's house not long before these others," he gestures at the companions, "and hearing no reply from within the house took my lunch near to the tree.  This whole affair is strange and those zealots sound dangerous.  Where did they come from and where are they bound?"

He savors the warm wine thoughtfully, then, "they as much as admitted to attacking Osgal, and leaving him for dead.  Why would they do such a thing?  And to overturn the stone ring, whatever it's purpose or power; surely they knew well what they were about.  Can not the lord or law bring them to punishement for harming the old man?"  He sips further at the wine.  "The one burned in the square... that as well; he entered the flames on his own feet but I say he was burned alive by these zealots."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 17, 2007, 03:01:15 PM
Ervoni listens intently to your descriptions. As you change the subject to that of the happening in the market square, Ervoni frowns. "I'll tell you what I know about these crazed fanatics, but maybe we should summon Callan and captain Ustin as both may have an interest in the too. Meanwhile, help yourselves to some more wine, I'll have some food brought in shortly too..." He leaves the room and you hear him calling out orders to the staff.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 18, 2007, 02:42:10 PM
A short while later, Ervoni returns and sits with you, telling you about Selaset:
"It's a magnificent city, Selaset, mainly known for the great Saint Selas Cathedral and the monastary around which the city has grown. It also has the largest and busiest harbor in this part of land, only outdone by the other Quad Cities, and it's bustling with people from all the civilized lands. But you must visit the cathedral, not just for its religious importance," he smiles at Lavi "but also for its fantastic works of art. Whoever would have thought that colored glass could be turned into such magnificent pictures..." He seems to drift off in his mind.
"As you can probably tell," Eilis says, "father made his first visit to Selaset a few years ago, and it has definitely left an impression on him."
Ervoni smiles, "it certainly has, yes. I'd love to go there again, there's so much I didn't have time to -" He is interrupted by a knock on the door. "Ah, that will be Callan and your captain. Enter!" he calls, upon which the door opens and a servant leads the harbor master and captain Ustin into the room. Following them is Ervoni's wife who carries a tray with two more glasses, a basket with bread and some sausage and cheese.

After the two men have been seated and all of you have had a bit to eat, Ervoni stands up and starts telling you about the Fire Dancers. "It is now nine days ago that the Fire Dancers came here first. At that time it was only the man they called Barcus, who came here on Dreggo's trading ship. I recognized his allegiance at once and kept an eye on him, but he was alone and didn't cause any trouble, so all I did was to form my preachings in such a way that people would hopefully see through his false threats and promisses. That seemed to work for most of the people, but when he left three days later, two young men followed him: Edric and Ulkvar. I wasn't that sore to see them leave, and it seemed that neither was the rest of the town. Little did we know, though, that they would return today to cause the kind of havoc and unrest that I have heard of as being typical for them. And we also didn't know that Edric and Ulkvar had already started what others describe as their initiation into the sect by desecrating and preferrably destroying - or as they call it: cleaning - places and people of importance to other religions. Luckily, it appears, Ulkvar's heart got the better of him, and they didn't kill Osgal and burn his cottage. Unluckily for him, he didn't live to receive my thanks for that... And how Edric escaped the flames like that is quite a mystery to me..."
"But our current situation is that the Fire Dancers are here, and that they've threatened to return to clean the town. I don't want that to happen, and I will fight them with every means I have, but right now I don't know what to do."
He looks at Callan.
"Yes, now that I think of it, no ship has guested us since Dreggo's ship left us last time, six days ago - except for The Morning Cloud." Callan answers, looking at Ustin. "Still, we cannot prove anything, so I cannot deny them access to the town..."
"'Ey, don' ya look at me like that, Callan! I can't risk goin' 'gainst that wretch'd  Dreggo, he'd skin me 'live 'n run me out' the sea if he heard 'bout it! I still plan on leav'n for Sel'set at daybreak - sorry I can't help ya..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 18, 2007, 04:57:37 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"I cannot answer for anyone but myself... my duties lie elsewhere but my heart feels for those of the old, wiser faiths...present company accepted. To do nothing seems cowardly... but to take aggressive pre-emptive action may cause more trouble than it solves, to do nothing allows further damage to befall your community.." he looks to the captain of the ship.

"I gave an offer of help to this community, freely, but am under not compunction to stay now the investigation is apparently complete....aside my morals. You did not make this oath and I cannot ask you to risk yourself, your property or your crew. If you choose to leave then I shall accompany you, stay and I'm sure that the town would be in your debt.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 22, 2007, 12:46:08 PM
"'tis not that I dun' wan' help, I just dun' wan' end up as kilpa food for goin' 'gainst Dreggo!" captain Ustin scowls. "But maybe I could delay our d'parture 'till midday, if ya wan' help the town... Just make sure noth'n points t'me!"

"That's a generous offer," Callan smiles at the captain and at Lavi. "Now we just need to figure out what we can do to make those damned zealots leave us alone. Any ideas?" he asks, looking around.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on January 29, 2007, 04:48:30 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"Can you not simply bar them from town, on cause of disturbing the populace at the least?  I say again that to my ears they have as much as admitted that they intended to kill Osgal and the leader did cause the death of that man Ulkvar."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 31, 2007, 10:17:03 PM
"You are right... Hurael, was it?" Callan replies. "I can deny them access to town - and I will do that, but I will have to take care to do it in a way that does not insult them or the captain of the ship."
Ustin grumbles and nods.
"But that doesn't bring justice on them for what they've done here," Callan continues, "so we're not done here yet..." Again you are interrupted by a knock on the door. At Ervoni's answer, the servant slips inside and whispers something into his ear. Ervoni's expression turns from one of surprise to one of thoughtfulness as he listens, then he says to the servant "Let them enter. If nothing else, they will have an interest in what is being discussed here."

The servant leaves for a moment to return with two more glasses and accompanying a very well-dressed, middle-aged couple. They are both clearly worried, and the wife has red-rimmed eyes from crying and is clutching a handkerchief tightly in her hands. The husband nods at Callan who nods back and then expresses his gratutide to Ervoni for helping them.
"This is mr. Torvio, the recently elected mayor of this town, and mrs. Torvio. Also, they're Edric's parents. I understand that they have something important to tell us..." Ervoni says, introducing the new-comers and then gestures towards mr. Torvio.
"Yes, thank you Reverend, and thank you Master Callan for seeing us on such short notice in these times of trouble," mr. Torvio smiles politely but wearily. "First of all I - we - would like to express our apologies especially to you Reverend Ervoni for having to put up with that man who is apparently our Edric's new friend. As his parents, we do feel some responsibility for that, and I would also like to apologize for how we treated you in the past. It is now clear to us that Edric wasn't all the good boy we thought him to be..." He looks down, and Mrs. Torvio sobs and dabs her eyes with her hankie. Thereby none of them see the smile that crosses Eilis's face briefly.
"Now that we have admitted to that, the reason we've come to you," he looks up and continues, addressed at Ervoni, "is that we hope that you can talk some sense into him. Up until now I have mostly ignored the rumors about those Fire Dancers, but with this incident in the market square, I have realized that they are to be taken seriously, and from what I've heard from some of my seamen this evening, this is typical behaviour for them. So we want our son out of that!"
Mrs. Torvio wails quietly, then wipes her eyes and looks at Ervoni expectantly.

During Mr.Torvio's plea for help, Ervoni sits listening with a stern look on his face. He nods occasionally, but otherwise just listens and appears to think. As he continues his silent thinking for a while after Mr. Torvio has ended talking, the mayor and his wife are clearly getting nervous, and Mr Torvio continues his plea. "Reverend, I'm aware that this is much to ask of you, so if you help us, we will make a large donation to your church, and if you succeed in rescuing our son, I promise to send him to Saint Lettis's Monastary on the Isle of Lindos to repent his sins and to learn about the proper way to behave." At that, Mrs. Torvio lets out an astounded gasp, but a stern look from her husband keeps her quiet, and she just lowers her head.
Apparently ignoring their actions, Ervoni replies harshly "Spare your offer Torvio, I do not want to be your hireling! I will help you for free, though I will hold you to your promise of sending Edric to the monastary; that would do him well... But it may all be too late now." He frowns.
"Still, in order to get to talk to your son, I have to meet him, and we had just decided to refuse anyone from the ship access to town. Also, I doubt they will let your son see me alone, and I wouldn't feel safe boarding their ship alone, if they would let me do so at all."
Then he looks at Mr. Torvio and at you...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 11, 2007, 05:18:10 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

He shifts slightly. "I'm not to happy about these extremists either, but what you ask is not easy and at the very least hazardous. I...we " he says indicating his fellow travellers "...have already investigated what we said we would. I'm sure an inducement would be in order to earn our continued support."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 17, 2007, 10:46:34 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

"As I said, some sort of inducement to continue..?"

(OOC:  ;) )
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 02, 2007, 09:06:48 PM
Mr Torvio raises his eyebrows a bit, clears his throat and then answers in a more business-like tone of voice: "Of course we would be willing to pay for your service. What can you offer us?"
"Oh, can you bring our son back to us?" Mrs. Torvio pleas, her tearstreaked face taking on a look of hope while she clutches her husband's shoulder.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 03, 2007, 07:59:23 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

"Well, as the man said, he dosen't want to go alone on to the ship.. seems to me that they won't let us just walk on....that leaves stealth or force...and force well, that would be suicide. I'm used to hunting...and am willing to fight if need be." he looks the man in the eye... "of course if you'd rather we didn't make the offer, you can always find people more suitable" he says shrugging.

"If we do go to recover your son, then we'll need something very persuasive or something to knock him out, I can't imagine him coming of his own freewill..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 05, 2007, 08:54:11 PM
"Maybe you could talk to him from a distance, Reverend Ervoni?" mr. Torvio asks. "If you could be rown close to their ship, maybe you can persuade Edric to return?"
Ervoni frowns in reply: "You have great trust in my abilities - too great, I fear. But if that's the way you want us to help you..."

Mr. Torvio thinks for a while, and then says: "Yes, I cannot think of any other way. I'll arrange for a boat tomorrow morning before the tide goes out. As for payment, I can offer you four copper coins just for being aboard the boat. Any further payment will be based on what happens."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on April 21, 2007, 07:29:24 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Frowns heavily...

"You want to row next to a ship...and ask politely!?!" he says raising his voice.

"You suggest we do this for copper!! Do you honestly think that the rest of the crew are suddenly going to be struck deaf...or willingly let him go... chances are we'd just be shot!" he rolls his eyes then sighs, getting up.

"This stupidity has, I'm afraid, gone on for long enough, as much as would like to help, what you suggest is maddness...and probable suicide!"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on April 27, 2007, 07:15:14 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"Indeed," Hurael mutters, "I think as long as your son is with them in the ship he's out of reach.  Besides that, he's there of his own free will."  He pauses and idly scratches his forearm.  "Perhaps now that he's seen his friend burned he may be of a mind to reconsider, but not while he's aboard ship and surrounded by those cultists."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 30, 2007, 02:04:03 PM
"But what else can you do - what else can I do?" Mr. Torvio asks indignantly. "Even cultists cannot just attack people on sight without being outlawed, so if we do not threaten them, they cannot prohibit us from getting close to their ship. But you're right that my son went there willingly and therefore we can demand nothing of him or of the cultists, we can only try to appeal to his conscience and common sense."

While Mr. Torvio is speaking, the servant enters again, this time without knocking. He tries to catch his breath for a moment and then interrupts: "Just thought you'd like t'know: th'young master Torvio and som' the other cultists're back..."

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 02, 2007, 07:57:20 PM
After the servant has told you that the Fire Dancers have been seen in the town square where the bonfire was, he collapses in a chair while the Torvios rush out the door followed by Ervoni.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on May 07, 2007, 09:52:30 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Will follow them out, feeling that it is not entirely safe to do so but knowing that his reason has once again lost out to his curiosity.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 08, 2007, 12:52:20 PM
Eilis follows you out of the door and you quickly catch up with the Torvios.
Arriving at the town square you find it empty of people. As you scan the area, Hurael notices [Observation: 34 + 90 = 124] that it seems as if some the ashes of the bonfire have been shoveled away...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 14, 2007, 10:17:35 AM
Lavi - Nord Male
Follows after the rest...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 09, 2007, 04:14:36 PM
Lavi- Nord Male

Catching up, somewhat reluctantly, with Hurael.... "Hey, wait up are we sure we want to get messed up in all this?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on July 14, 2007, 06:06:20 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

His youthful face grimaces and he looks almost guiltily at Lavi.  "No, I don't want anything to do with the fanatics.  The sooner I can get passage out of town the sooner I'll be gone.  I guess I just wanted to see."  He stays some 10 paces behind the family and Ervoni and appears torn between listening to Lavi's reason and wanting to see what's about out here now.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 14, 2007, 06:15:27 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Then don't" he says gently putting his hand on Huraels shoulder. He applies a little pressure encouraging him to stop.

"If you want to help...then it is better that we watch and observe..." he watches the others head off.

"They act foolishly and out of passion...and we have no right to stop them, little that we could," he says looking around for a place more suitable for covert surveillance.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on July 17, 2007, 04:36:38 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Stops at the urging of Lavi and watches as the family and the others move into the square and he looks about at the square and streets leading to and from it.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 17, 2007, 06:52:59 AM
Lavi -Nord Male

Takes longbow out.

"Thats not to say that we can't become involved at a distance.." he says.

"Perhaps follow at a discrete distance...?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 17, 2007, 08:39:32 PM
The people who were examining the area briefly discuss what to do now and then head off towards the harbor, while Eilis returns to you. "We think they've gone back to their ship, and the Torvios want to see if they can reach the harbor in time to stop them from leaving. Will you join them? - At least to help keeping them from doing something even more foolish than what they've already done..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on July 20, 2007, 03:10:45 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

A dark look crosses his face.  "To be sure, the rest of town *wants* them to leave; but I fear that means little to the Torvios while their son remains at risk."  He sets his shoulders and seems to come to some resolve, "I'll follow and lend what aid I can should they find themselves needing an escape from those fanatics... or what aid they'll accept."  He looks at Lavi and by way of explaination shrugs, "many's the father or mother who'd not take the risk for their child."

He follows the Torvios staying some 10 - 15 paces behind them and keeping an eye out for trouble.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 20, 2007, 06:38:57 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Sighs.  "All right, I'll shadow you....but a large delegation turning up at the boat will probably not prove to sway this young man any better than his parents already can..."

(OOC: He will stay within visual range of the group during the visit to the docks but stay in cover..in medium range with his bow at a maximum)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 24, 2007, 10:10:55 PM
As the group ahead of you reach the harbor, they start calling out to Edric while running out to the end of the pier. When you arive at the harbor too, you see the silhouette a boat about 15 meters from the pier, rowing toward the large ship.

"Come back, Edric!" Mr. Torvio shouts. "You don't know what you're doing." Receiving no answer, he shouts again: "Edric Torvio, I command you to come back here!"
After a short while, you hear the voice of an angry, young man answer from the boat: "No, I'm not turning back! I can't stand it here in this godforsaken hole with mother always fussing over me and choosing my proper friends for me! And you always treat me like a child, never giving me the opportunity to show you what I'm capable of. But none of that matters now: I'm off to Selaset to make new friends. At least they'll respect me for who I am and not for how much my parents own! That is, unless," he pauses for a moment and gives a brief laugh, and when he continues, his voice has a much more joyful and expectant tone to it: "unless Barcus is right: that I am something special..."
While Edric speaks, his mother sobs and his father tries to comfort her. As he finishes, Ervoni responds: "Edric, this is Ervoni speaking. I understand that you are upset with your parents, but please turn back and let us..."
"You, priest, will be the first to burn when Astion returns, you blasphemous heretic!"
Edric interrupts harshly. "Rest asured, I will come back, but it will not be to talk and drink tea and be silly: it will be to do Astion's bidding and cleanse all you sinners."
After this, Edric replies to no more shouts from the pier, and soon the silhouette of the boat merges with that of the ship. Ervoni sends the Torvios home to get some rest, and urges you to do the same: "He's beyond our reach now, all we can do is pray for him..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 07, 2007, 09:22:04 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Shruggs. "If they are going to Seleset.... then appears as though our paths are destined to cross again." he says to Ervoni. Turning to the rest.. "He is right, we should get some rest. Then we should leave... it may be better if we depart now and take our rest in our cabins about the ship."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 15, 2007, 09:23:58 AM
"Don't worry," Ervoni replies. "Selaset is a large city, so the risk of that happening is small."
"T'certainly is," captain Ustin chimes in. "Largest port in the area. An' the home of some magnificent ships, you'll see! But we shan't be leav'n now, I daren't sail the fjord by night. We'll leave with th' tide t'morrow mornin'."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on August 26, 2007, 10:57:46 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Will set about finding an inexpensive place to stay (cheap inn room, stable, etc.) and securing passage to Selaset from the captain, preferably for trade of work.

OOC - I'm not sure how much of this sort of thing to include in-thread, so for now I'll leave it as a general notion that he'll get the things done with the goal of keeping the outflow of hard coin down to a minimum.  :)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 27, 2007, 07:40:15 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Perhaps the captain may see fit to provide you a bunk aboard...after all you assisted us, and he owes us..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 27, 2007, 11:35:36 AM
"'Course you can spend the night with th'rest of us in Callan's warehouse!" the captain says. "An' you're travellin' to Selaset too? I'm sure we can work someth'n out if you don't have the money. D'you have any 'sperience with ships?"
Captain Ustin treats Hurael nicely and they reach a fair agreement on what his chores on the ship will be. The captain then heads back to his cabin to get some sleep.

As you join the crew and the other passengers in the warehouse, you are greeted by Vero and the two soldiers who are playing dice, drinking and talking quietly. The remaining people are sleeping in the hay: the Aulorean nun Breda with her protege in one corner and three crewmen in another.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on August 31, 2007, 11:55:02 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"That's settled then...I'm going to get some sleep."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on September 14, 2007, 01:48:16 PM
Hurael - Mekian male

Will greet those who greeted him on the way in, offer his name, and find some place to sleep in the hay.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 21, 2007, 09:32:08 PM
Some time in the middle of the night, both of you are awoken by the large sailor Vero, who asks if you have any healing herbs to cure a bad stomach. Outside, you can hear another man vomitting repeatedly...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 28, 2007, 10:38:28 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Gets up and checks his supply... if he has something appropriate then he will share some..

"Did anyone else eat the same thing?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 28, 2007, 09:56:26 PM
As Vero leads you outside he explains that they have all eaten the same fish soup, and none of the others seem sick. "I've never seen anyone so sick before, and I'm surprised it's Marhi: he always seems so cheerful and healthy, even if he has some odd eating habits. And of course, he's never seasick..."

Around the corner you find the sailor Marhi sitting limply against the wall. He is obviously an Islender with his long black hair tied in a pony tail with a wide red band of decorated fabric, and his clothes decorated with similar twining patterns. Next to him is the remains of his dinner and the whole place reaks of vomit. He doesn't seem to register your approach, but when Vero offers him some water, he rinses his mouth and drinks a bit, looking briefly at you, before he weakly settles back.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 01, 2007, 02:40:32 PM
Hurael - Mekian male

Stumbles outside groggily.  Coming upon the three of them and observing Marhi's poor state he says "I've none, I'm afraid.  Do you know of anyone in the town?  I can run to fetch them."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 01, 2007, 06:48:21 PM
"I'm not from around here, so I know no-one," Vero answers, looking expectantly at Lavi. "How about you? You've visitted more people in this town than I have."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 02, 2007, 12:06:04 AM
(OOC: If he can.. then he will say. But I Can't remember... the Old woman that helped out with Old Osgal?)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 13, 2007, 06:25:07 PM
Without waiting for any answers, Vero kneels down next to Marhi and places his huge hand on Marhi's forehead. "Let's get him inside quickly," Vero suggests as he stands up and starts moving Marhi away from the wall so that he can lift his upper body. "He's hot with fever, and this cold night is not doing him any good. You can lift his legs; and be careful where you place your feet!" He grins and starts lifting Marhi, who just groans and stays limp.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 13, 2007, 06:43:16 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"I believe Utta... the old woman that brought Old Osgal here may have some skill with herbs...."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 13, 2007, 09:00:50 PM
"That's good," Vero replies. "Maybe you can go and ask her for help after we've moved Marhi?"
Together you carry the poor, now unconscious, Marhi into the warehouse and start wrapping him in as many blankets as you can find. He is still feverish.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 14, 2007, 03:33:23 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Will help get Marhi settled and then head out to track down Utta.  "Has he any money to pay?"  He asks, not unkindly, as he prepares to depart.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 14, 2007, 08:16:39 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

He accompanies Hurael.

Once out of earshot. "I have a small amount of herbs.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 14, 2007, 12:44:41 PM
"We'll work that out when she gets here," Vero replies, and then returns to tending to Marhi.

You head back into town, but realize that the last time you saw Utta was in the market square. As you discuss what to do, a watchman carrying a lamp and a long-shafted mace approaches you. "Who goes there? - Vem der?" he calls out in both Mekian and Nordic.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 14, 2007, 01:16:15 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Lavi.." he replies.

"Could you help us we are seeking help for someone who has fallen ill. We believe that a wise woman..Utta is in town, would you know where she can be found?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 27, 2007, 10:54:48 PM
The watchman approaches you cautiously and shines his lamp up and down to get a better look at you. After a moment of thought he replies "Yeah, I know where Utta lives, but ya gotta be either very brave or very stupid to go wake her up here in the middle of the night!" He ponders the matter for another moment, then continues: "maybe I should lead you to Brenna; that's Callan's cook. This may even be the time of night when she gets out of bed. Follow me, it's just around the corner."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 27, 2007, 11:54:38 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Will follow the watchman...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on December 28, 2007, 09:15:58 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"I think she will understand..." he says and follows along too.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 02, 2008, 11:59:42 AM
The watchman leads you to the kitchen entrance to Callans house and knocks on the door. After waiting for a response for a short while, he knocks again, a little louder. Finally, a very sleepy female voice answers "Who's there? What'd you want?", while you can hear the door being openned. "It's some of Ustin's men, they're asking for help to someone who's fallen ill," the watchman replies. The door opens and a stocky, elderly woman looks out at you. "You're lucky I was about to get up anyways," she grumbles as she lets you into the dark kitchen. "Wait here while I light the fire." Soon after you can gather around the large table in the middle of the kitchen, and Brenna looks expectantly at you.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on January 10, 2008, 12:16:39 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Good evening ... We apologise for the lateness of our visit. Do you remember us? We aided in the recovery of Old Usgal from his home after he'd been attacked. I remember that you had some medicinal skills, and a way with herbs that might prove useful in the treating of the sickness that  a crewman aboard the craft that we arrived on... perhaps you could come and see to him. I'm sure that the crew will be willing to reward you for any expense incurred or time spent..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on January 28, 2008, 02:14:57 PM
"I heard of you, yes," Brenna replies. "You helped Eilis... So I'll see what I can do about your crewman; can you tell me a bit about his conditions so I will know what to expect?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 25, 2008, 09:22:44 PM
"Well," Brenna says, looking expectantly at you. "Cat took your tongues? Don't worry, I'm not a witch - I can't turn you into squids!" she chuckles. "But I can't help your mate if you don't describe his ailments... unless you want to carry all my stuff over to him?" she rises and pokes the fire. "And we don't have much time if I am to do my chores here as well before the master is up."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on February 26, 2008, 12:20:53 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"He's weak and disoriented.  Perhaps with fever.  And he's been vomiting for some time.  No one else who had the same food has shown sign of it, yet, if they will at all."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 26, 2008, 01:01:39 PM
"And do you know what they have eaten?" Brenna asks, while rummaging through the contents of a cupboard, stuffing jars and small pouches into a bag.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on February 26, 2008, 02:35:34 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"No."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 26, 2008, 02:37:06 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Me neither..."

(OOC: Do I?)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 29, 2008, 05:48:40 PM
"A pity," she mutters, stuffing more items into her bag. "Then I'd better bring these along as well..."

A moment later she turns around, looks briefly at you and then says "Right, I'm ready. You look strong, will you carry my bag for me, it got a bit heavy." She smiles winningly at Hurael and extends the bag towards him.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 12, 2008, 02:19:55 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Seeing the woman hand the bag to Hurael he starts to head back.

"Let's go.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on March 12, 2008, 03:42:03 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Takes the bag and escorts her back.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 23, 2008, 06:46:22 PM
Arriving at the warehouse you find Vero sitting next to the now sleeping, but very pale, Marhi. He quickly rises to greet you and thank Brenna before letting her examine the islender.

Seeing Marhi seems to surprise Brenna, and her face takes on a look of worry. "If I'd only known he's an islender" she mutters while opening Marhi's mouth. She quickly regains her composure and starts giving orders: "I need hot water, snapt! And if one of you could fetch me the Horyen leaves from the large cupboard in my kitchen, they're in a small bag on the top shelf." She then starts picking ingredients from her bag, placing them in a bowl. "Those islenders and their damned citril roots," she mutters while examining Marhi's eyes.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 23, 2008, 08:23:38 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Heads off to retrieve the requested item/s*... taking no detours and only looking where requested.. returns with haste.

*If there are more than one bag, he will bring all that he finds.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on June 24, 2008, 07:49:38 AM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Will go try to find the cook on this boat or failing that the mess area and gather a pot of hot water.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on July 06, 2008, 09:07:47 PM
As Hurael is heading for the door Vero grabs hold of his arm. "Where' you going? There's fresh water in that barrel and the embers from the fire are still hot." Vero then proceeds to tell about how carefully they use fire aboard ships, while dropping a hot stone into a bowl of water. "I guess it's better that you learn such basics now that you'll be helping us sailing to Selaset," he smiles, while the water is being heated.

Soon afterwards Lavi returns carrying a bag stuffed with different kinds of dried plants ([Lavi] > Flora Lore (C) : 26 + 01 - 09 = 18). Brenna is not very happy to leave Marhi's side to sort out where the Horyen leaves are, but she admits that this is better than receiving the wrong herb for the tea. Having located the leaves she quickly crushes three of them into the bowl of hot water. Then she briefly goes over the other herbs with Lavi, telling him about their main characteristica, until the tea is ready.

"Let him sleep now" Brenna says after she has fed Marhi most of the tea. "There's no need to disturb him any more, let him rest and move him to your ship in the morning. He'll be week for the couple of days, but he should survive. Hopefully this teaches him to stay away from those cursed roots - or from my cooking," she grins while gathering her remaining herbs in the bag. "Thank you so much madam Brenna!" Vero exclaims, "how can we repay you?" "Don't worry about that, Vero," she replies. "I'm only happy to help a friend of Master Callan's house. How about if the islender just owes me a favor, will you tell him that?" "I certainly will," Vero says. "Thank you again and Aulor protect you!"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on July 09, 2008, 06:27:56 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Watches and listens attentively, then at the end asks "What root did she mean?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on August 04, 2008, 10:21:53 PM
Vero explains: "the citril root is a sour, aromatic root that many Islenders chew for taste and tradition. It is said also to prevent moodiness, but is quite addictive. It's only grown on their islands, so I guess it's rarely seen here..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on November 26, 2008, 06:38:37 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

"Hm, I'll have to have someone point it out to me.  Sounds like something that's best to keep away from."

He looks at the door she just went through and thinking of the dark dealings he's already seen here he steps out after Brenna.  He'll catch her up and say "best not to be out about at this hour alone, mother."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on November 26, 2008, 07:23:30 PM
Lavi

Is a little embarrasssed at obviously have gotten the wrong root.. he'll do what he can to help.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on November 30, 2008, 09:49:44 AM
Brenna looks Hurael up and down for a moment. Then she smiles mildly at him: "Thank you, that is very kind of you, young man," and lets herself be led home.

Meanwhile back at the warehouse, Vero offers to keep watch over the now quietly sleeping Marhi. "Though you're younger than me, master Lavi, you' better get some rest. I think I'm more used to heavy work on only a few hours of bad sleep" he grins, "Happens almost every time there's land leave..."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 03, 2008, 12:31:45 AM
Hurael - Mekian male

Once finished escorting Brenna back, Hurael returns to the warehouse via the docksides.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on December 15, 2008, 07:39:19 PM
The next morning you are awoken shortly before sunrise, and shortly thereafter The Morning Cloud leaves the still-sleeping Aranastett. The weather is cool and clear, and a brisk wind is blowing from the North, making the ship travel swiftly towards its destination. Still, the mood among the sailors is somewhat tense as Marhi is still very sick.

The day passes without any noteworthy events, and the ship anchors up for the night in a small fjord. The mouth of the fjord houses a small colony of sea birds, and some of the sailor manage to catch a few of them, which are served for supper.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on December 21, 2008, 01:06:55 AM
Hurael - Mekian

Will put himself to work at the captain's or first mate's direction.  Having never sailed before he finds his attention frequently diverted to either the passing shore of the details of the boat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 23, 2009, 10:00:33 PM
The night passes quietly, though two sailors are constantly on guard, should they see any sign of Hrothgar or a similar raider, and the following morning is cold, clear and very beautifully sunny. Morale is high as the wind rises from the North again, and the ship makes good headway all day. There is no view of Dreggo's ship up ahead, though, and the captain thinks that it cannot be caught before Selaset is reached in what is expected to be four days.
In the early evening, another fjord is found for shelter, and the night is quiet and uneventful.

The next morning greets you with a thick, icy fog. Hurael is asked to ring the bell to warn other ships, while Lavi is asked to help as a lookout in the rowing boat that pulls the ship forward. The visibility is about 50 yards, and after an hour of rowing Lavi spots a large shadow straight ahead at about that distance ([Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 14 = 67).
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 25, 2009, 09:31:28 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Slows and listens...
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 25, 2009, 07:21:21 PM
The men in the boat slow their rowing, lift their oars from the water, and listen too, and after a short while you can hear the sound of small waves breaking, but nothing other than that ([Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 76 = 129).

After drifting on for a few yards, the shape turns out to be a large, jagged rock protruding from the quiet sea.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 25, 2009, 07:33:46 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Let the boat drift a little closer.. will try and determine which way is clear. Then suggest towing the ship in that direction, signalling to the ship to steer the same way.

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 25, 2009, 09:07:24 PM
Following Lavi's directions the rowers turn the boat sharply and row with powerful strokes to make the towed cog avoid hitting it and any part of it that may still be submerged.

You row on for a while until Lavi again sees a shadow in the fog ([Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 80 = 133). This time it's about 100 yards away, and it is shaped like a ship. There is still no sound, though, apart from your own cog's warning bell.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on February 26, 2009, 08:04:15 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Signal to stop the cog.

"Is this where we would expect to find a ship at anchor?" he asks one of the sailors...pointing out the shape "If not I'd suggest muffling the oars and investigating.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on February 26, 2009, 06:42:21 PM
"A ship here, you say?" he whispers back. The sailor scowls into the fog, then continues: "no, that wouldn't be normal. Can't see it, though, but we better be cautious..." He gestures something back to the cog and whispers to the other sailors in the boat to be quiet.

Then the boat returns to the cog, the rope between them is untied, and a couple of the sailors currently in the boat are replaced with stronger men bearing arms. The captain motions to Hurael to join the men in the boat too, while somebody else takes over the bell, and the small boat is rown back towards where the silhouette of the other ship was last seen.

"Who do you think it could be?" the sailors nearest Lavi asks quietly. "Don't you think it's odd that they're not giving warning to others?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 01, 2009, 10:59:46 PM
Toke - Nordic Male

"Odd, very odd indeed." mutters a tall young Nordic man also in the boat. You recognise him as a passenger who boarded the Morning Cloud in Aranastett. He is a young man, perhaps shy of twenty years, with an unruly mop of sandy hair falling about his muscular shoulders. He is wearing a brown leather coat that may have seen better days and as he leans out over the gunwale of the boat, you cant help but notice the sturdy looking wooden club with rawhide strips bound about the handle hanging from his belt by a cord.

"Quiet", he hisses, "move us closer, if the ship is still crewed, perhaps we can hear something?".

Listens intently whilst cupping his ears.

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 01, 2009, 11:40:17 PM
The boat glides slowly and quietly into the fog towards where Lavi claims to have seen a ship. Soon you will loose sight of Morning Cloud, even if you can still hear the ringing of her bell.

Everything is quiet around you and there is no sight of the foreign ship ([Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 25 = 78; [Toke] > Observation: 25 + 22 = 47).
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 02, 2009, 08:01:43 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Let the boat drift closer... listening all the time.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 02, 2009, 02:32:12 PM
Toke - Nordic male

Keeps listening and stares into the fog for signs of the ship.
Gets his hands ready to reach out and grab any object looming out of the fog in order to stop the boat (eg anchor rope).   
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on March 02, 2009, 03:10:30 PM
Hurael - Mekian Male

Tries to keep out of the way while looking and listening as intently as he can through the thick fog.  Unaccustomed to the sea and boats, he's rather nervous about the rock and the darkness but holds his tongue and his place.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 02, 2009, 07:45:52 PM
After drifting in the eerily quite fog for a few long minuttes you catch sight of a dark shadow up ahead.

[Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 80 = 133
[Toke]
> Observation: 25 + 66 = 91
[Hurael]
> Observation: 34 + 16 = 49

Slowly approaching it, it turns out to have the shape of a ship that Lavi recognizes as a Vuttish longboat, but it is completely quiet, its sail is slack, and the oars are not in the water. Anyone onboard the ship will undoubtedly have heard the bell from your ship, but nothing stirs on it.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 02, 2009, 10:55:12 PM
Toke - Nordic Male

Motions to the sailor manning the rudder, "Bring us alongside the longboat" he says in a hoarse whisper.

Turns back to observe the Vuttish vessel.

Toke is uneasy and he feels the trembling effects of adrenaline start to course through his body, making his breathing rapid, his eyes wide. "What has gone on here?" he wonders to himself.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 03, 2009, 06:36:14 PM
As you drift up next to the ship it turns out to have a large red drop in the middle of the dark sail! Gasps and muffled cries of surprise are heard from the sailors as they see and recognize it, and they start turning the boat around back to your ship.

There is still no action on the longboat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 03, 2009, 11:32:56 PM
Toke – Nordic Male

"Wait! Hold yer course" He hisses. If there was anyone there, they would have heard the Morning Cog's bell already"

Turns to Lavi and quietly sais "Perhaps at the very least we can try to cripple their ship, so if the pirates come back, they cant hunt us down"

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on March 12, 2009, 07:01:30 PM
Hurael - Mekian male

"Is it a plague mark?" he asks quietly to one of the sailors.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 12, 2009, 09:15:03 PM
"That's Hrothgar's ship!" the sailor replies in a whisper, pale as a sheet. "If they see us, it's worse than any plague..." Still, he and the other men at the oars await further instructions.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 14, 2009, 11:00:10 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

Our ship has been ringing it's bell long 'n loud. Don't you think Hrothgar's men would be on us by now if they were there" he counters, "Now bring us alongside!"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 14, 2009, 01:08:09 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Frowns...

"Indeed.. but if the crew are not aboard... then where are they?"

(OOC: Does he know of a habitation nearby... or is this mooring just in an out of the place?)

"I agree with my companion here.. we should investigate..if only to sabotage the ship.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 14, 2009, 07:08:28 PM
The sailors don't appear to be very happy with your decissions, but they do as they're told and let the boat glide up next to the Vuttish ship.

What you see in the longboat makes you queasy. Dead Vuttish raiders and dead... greyish humanoid creatures... lying everywhere. "Kilpa..." some of the sailors whisper with haunted looks on their faces.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 14, 2009, 07:30:38 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

Steely faced..."What..are ..Kilpa?" he says

(ooc: what are Kilpa?)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 14, 2009, 10:26:07 PM
Toke - Nordic Male

Gasps wide eyed at the sight of the dead pirates and at the mention of the mysterious Kilpa.

"Gagh! Spirits of the ancestors!" he chokes
 
Turns to Lavi and in hushed tones says "They say Kilpa were once sea elves...long ago........now turned to dark ways. Legends say they come up from the sea to raid the boats of men for food.....". His voice trails off
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 15, 2009, 07:21:25 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"Ahh.. yes then they are the same as I suspected.." looks towards the ship.

"If they are nearby then I suspect they are full or at least licking thier wounds... as it seems as if they were the victors here and not the pirates.... I suspect they shall not return just yet... still needs must. Perhaps a salvage of this size may interest for master...as might a reward for the capture of the ship?" he says boarding the longboat to search for survivors...and loot.

Turning back.... "What ever we do here...I suggest we do it quickly" he says winking.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 15, 2009, 11:24:31 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

Toke flashes a smile at the wink.... and mention of loot. Toke quickly follows Lavi onto the longboat.

"I'm with you. Let's salvage what we can while we have the chance. If old Hrothgar was among those taken, it was less than he deserved! Good riddance to 'im."

Leaning over the side of the longboat he says "You lot wait for us here"

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 16, 2009, 09:42:54 PM
The sailors at the oars are clearly not comfortable with the situation, but they stay near the ship while you climb aboard.

There are Vuttish and Kilpa bodies scattered between eachother in the open longboat, the struggle between them has been bloody!

Examining the dead Kilpa you see that they are about six feet tall, lean, and have a leathery, greyish-blue skin. They are completely hairless, and their webbed fingers and toes have long claws. Their facial features are nearly gone, leaving them with large, black eyes, lightly covered nostrils and ear-holes, and a mouth with nearly no lips and thereby not capable of hiding a set of sharp teeth. In comparison the Vuttish raiders are mostly strong-looking men clad in leather jackets. They have long blonde hair and similar beards, and appear fierce even in death.

Moving quickly and carefully among the bodies you look for stuff worth taking. Apart from the various weapons - handaxes, spears, short swords, round wooden shields and such - you find a couple of bolts of rough cloth, a pile of pelts, and the bodies of six people that were probably intended to be slaves. Some of the raiders carry jewelry of bronze and silver, but generally there is little loot, and it seems that the raiding had barely begun for these pirates.

[Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 43 = 96
[Toke]
> Observation: 25 + 90 = 115
[Hurael]
> Observation: 34 + 43 = 77
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 18, 2009, 09:10:54 AM
Toke

Stares, wide eyed in horror at the sight of the dead Kilpa. Before searching, he will peer over the far side of the longboat, half expecting and dreading, to see Kilpa in the dark, cold water. Once Toke is sure they have searched the longboat fully, he nods to Lavi in a conspiratorial manner, then proceeds to load the collected valuables into the boat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 18, 2009, 10:33:01 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

Rather stern faced, he searches the ship... he gives each of the creatures a stab with his spear to ensure it is dead. With the pirates he is equally cautious... though he prods each for signs of life rather than running them through.

Only once he has done this to each and every body does he start collecting loot.

"It seem to me that the Captain may make a profit out of this...perhaps there is value in salvage..or reward for it's discovery.?"

He stops for a moment... "Has anyone idea what the Captian looks like?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 18, 2009, 10:36:43 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

"No, no idea" replies Toke, picking up an armful of cloth. "Luckily I've only heard of Hrothgar by reputation. Not many people can claim to have seen him and lived to tell about it".
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 18, 2009, 03:50:30 PM
None of the Vuttish bodies bear marks that distinguish them as the captain of the ship.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 19, 2009, 11:46:42 PM
Toke - Nordic Male

Turns to the others on the longboat and asks, "Have we finished our salvage or is there more to do? If we are done, let us be off this cursed ship lest these things return".

All the while he stares at the dead Kilpa lying about the longboat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 24, 2009, 06:08:52 PM
You hoist the sack with valuables into the boat, and the rowers eagerly make distance to the Vuttish ship. They soon slow down, though, looking around in the fog with uncertainty clear in their faces. The direction of the sound from the bell from Morning Cloud is difficult to determine.

Meanwhile on the cog more and more people gather at the railing staring out into the fog where the boat was last seen.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 24, 2009, 11:14:12 PM
Toke - Nordic Male

Cups his hand about his ears and listens intently to try and pinpoint the direction of the Morning Cog's bell.

If he feels they cannot determine the direction, he may yell and "Ahoy!" and listen for a response.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 25, 2009, 08:18:48 AM
Lavi

"Where is the tow rope?" he asks the sailors.

(ooc: I thought we were leading or towing the Morning Cloud)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 25, 2009, 08:48:59 AM
(ooc: I think we were leading the cog at first, but when the longboat was sighted, the launch went over by itself.)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on March 25, 2009, 02:08:44 PM
Lavi - Nord Male

(ooc: I am assuming the Vutt longboat hasn't drifted...was it anchored? If it wasn't can we tell if the wind (if any) has changed?)

"We head back the way that we came..." he says...pointing back they way they came... wondering what the problem is.



Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 27, 2009, 05:43:45 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

"Aye, lets make all haste for the Morning Cloud" he nods, agreeing with Lavi
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Atani on March 28, 2009, 01:04:02 AM
Hurael - Mekian male

"Do we have a lantern to light, so that they may see us more easily?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on March 29, 2009, 04:09:21 PM
The three of you do not agree on the direction back to the cog, Lavi being convinced that the right direction is 90° to the left of the one that Toke claims is the correct direction.

There is no lantern in the boat, and the other sailors do not approve of the idea of calling out to the Morning Cloud - as well as to the kilpa...

[Lavi] > Observation: 53 - 80 = -28
[Toke]
> Observation: 25 + 228 = 253
[Hurael]
> Observation: 34 + 55 = 89
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on March 31, 2009, 01:14:19 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

"I'm sure we came broadside onto the longboat when we came in. We have to leave in the same direction." he says pointing with his hand back to the Vuttish vessel.

"What do you think lads?" he asks the men crewing the boat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on April 06, 2009, 07:04:43 AM
The men in the boat are getting nervous and restless with the prospect of being lost in the fog. Fortunately, after a few minuttes of whispered discussion, the sun appears to finally gain the upper hand, and within minuttes you can make out the silhouette of Morning Cloud as well as that of the Vuttish longboat.

You climb aboard the cog to expectant stares from those who stayed behind and are greeted by the captain: "So-o, wha' was it, 'n ol' wreck?"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on April 09, 2009, 12:06:26 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

"Captain, good news we have booty for you!" he says with a forced smile. He moves closer to the captain, trying to take him aside lest some of the crew hear his next words.

Toke whispers, "Captain, tis no wreck over there, tis Hrothgar's ship. All the men were dead over there, scattered on the decks....along with....kilpa. Best we get our plunder aboard and leave these waters a quickly as we can".
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 11, 2009, 11:47:08 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

"That is good consel I think.... though I suspect that the shp itself may be worth something in itself.. more that the recovered booty. I could not find any that matched it's captains discription. Shame as his body may have been worth some bounty..." He shrugs. "..Not of course we had no part in this. At least we seem to be rid of his threat.. for the moment. The Kilpa... well, they are a different type of threat. We need to leave her and alert the nearby ports that they have becme active in this area.."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 11, 2009, 07:58:15 PM
After a gasp at hearing about the ship's owner and the kilpa, the captain seems to gather his wits. "Curses!" he exclaims, then commands the crew to ready the cog for a troubled journey ahead, keeping both himself and the sailors too busy to worry too much about the threat.

Meanwhile one of the new passengers, an old man with southern looks and an odd accent approaches you. "You saw the Kilpa on that boat, did you say, gentlemen?" he asks, looking expectantly at you. "I study them back home, but never got occasion to see them. Can you take me to them?" he smiles charmingly.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on May 15, 2009, 12:38:17 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

"Aye, I saw them indeed....and a most disturbing sight they were too. By the looks of things a bloody struggle had gone on there. I'd be most happy if I never saw them again." Toke says grimly.

Shaking his head he adds "Its best we dont return there, lest they come again and we be taken to the depths......Anyway, the Captain is setting sail."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Tancred on May 20, 2009, 03:11:04 AM
Ottar - Nordic male

A tall young man with red hair falling about his muscular shoulders, steps forward with the easy gait of one used to the sea and gives a brief nod to Toke before leaning down to address the old man.

“Iteus sir, the young master here speaks sense, Kilpa are dangerous at the best of times but here on the water….”

At that he steps back and stands upright, folding his arms across his broad chest, his sturdy, well oiled leather coat opening to reveal two axes hanging from his belt just above a pair of sealskin boots.

“However, if your curiosity cannot be assuaged any other way, I must insist on accompanying you.”

Now it comes to mind that this pair boarded the Morning Cloud in Arranastett along with many others and until now have mainly kept to themselves.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 28, 2009, 09:09:11 PM
"Dangerous Kilpa, yes, but only when living!" Iteus smiles. "I must take this result of my luck," he continues, and then heads over to Captain Ustin to discuss the matter with him.

A few minuttes later Iteus returns to you and gleefully tells you that he has reached an agreement with the captain, and that it will only be a quick visit to the longboat. Meanwhile a large sailor is readying the rowing boat again, though not without showing some reluctance.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on May 29, 2009, 06:38:56 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

Nods back to Ottar and extends a hand in greeting.

"I suppose Captain Ustin wants me to accompany you then?"

He sighs and proceeds to lend a hand to the relaunching of the row boat.

On the way there he leans into Ottar and says quietly "Can you do your best to make this return visit a brief one? We are pushing our luck too far going back to that place....you'll see what I mean soon enough."

Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 29, 2009, 08:32:18 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

"I shall accompany you too..." he says with an encouraging nod to the nervous oarsman.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on May 29, 2009, 09:18:42 PM
The oarsman, Vero, quickly takes you to the longboat with powerful oar strokes. He seems as intent as you are on making this trip as brief as possible.

When you reach the side of longboat, Iteus nimbly climbs aboard and after a quick survey of the ship and its contents starts examining the nearest dead kilpa, while occasionally muttering words in a foreign language.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Tancred on May 30, 2009, 03:06:28 AM
Ottar - Nordic Male

Looks over the longboat curiously, and joins Iteus aboard and stands near keeping watch on the nearby waters.

With a nod to the others and a grateful smile,
"This could be a while, let's stay alert and my thanks."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on May 30, 2009, 03:33:53 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

Toke doesn't feel safe anywhere, but being on the deck of the longboat seems the least vulnerable position. He climbs aboard the longboat, casting glances here and there.

(Is anything different from when Toke left?)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on May 30, 2009, 06:01:57 AM
Lavi-  Male Nord

Much the same as his companion... he really doesn't want to be here. As soon as he is aboard...he is alert prepared to spear boarders.

"I'm still concerned that we saw no evidence of this groups leader...a man of such a reputation would not have gone without a fight."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on May 30, 2009, 10:24:08 AM
Toke - Nordic

"Aye, I'm sure he fought hard, if his reputation is anything to go by. Perhaps the Kilpa dragged him to a watery death, or took his body to the depths to eat. Still, we should look."

Toke stands warily on deck occasionally looking into the water on either side of the longboat.  
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 03, 2009, 09:50:17 PM
Looking over the dead bodies again, you notice what from this angle appears to be a small pile of four or five dead Kilpa, all of them killed with nasty, deep cuts. There is no Vuttish body, though.

Meanwhile Iteus wanders off to the opposite end of the ship and bends down to examine one of the dead kilpa.

[Lavi] > Observation: 53 + 89 = 142 (PM sent)
[Toke] > Observation: 25 + 74 = 99
[Hurael]
> Observation: 34 + 90 = 124
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Tancred on June 04, 2009, 06:55:06 AM
Ottar - Nordic Male

Follows Iteus along the length of the ship and keeps glancing both at the water and at the pile of dead kilpa.

"Mayhaps you should look under those corpses, if you seek the Vuttish captain, be wary though."
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 04, 2009, 07:02:36 AM
Lavi - Nord Male

He frowns and looks concerned.... he'll move over to the nearest person (all eventually) and whisper..

"Be on your guard....these bodies appear to have been moved...since we came here last."

He then stabs the nearest Kilpa with the business end of his spear.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on June 04, 2009, 08:02:27 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

Hearing Lavi's warning and seeing him stab a Kilpa, Toke pulls his club from his belt and wraps the leather grip around his hand.

He follows close behind Lavi, intently watching the Kilpa corpses for any signs of movement.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Tancred on June 04, 2009, 08:20:33 AM
Ottar - Nordic Male

"I think those kilpa are well dead lads, it's what moved them you should be worried about, perhaps this captain you've mentioned?" he comments glancing back over his shoulder at Toke and Lavi's efforts.

Nevertheless his hand drifts to his trusty hand-axe on his belt and lifts it from its hook.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on June 04, 2009, 08:39:27 AM
Lavi- Nord Male

After stabbing the nearest Kilpa...and not getting a response (perhaps?). He will look up and nod agreement with Ottar. After that he'll check for recent additional bloody scuff marks or damp impressions around the bodies..
(OOC: Tracking...)
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Kalu on June 16, 2009, 08:04:51 PM
The stabbed Kilpa remains in place, still very dead... And there are no obvious tracks that can lead you to other living creatures aboard the ship.

Moving around on the ship, you suddenly notice a splash slightly louder than the common waves against the side of the ship. coming from the end of the ship opposite to Vero. Moving there you see a ring of ripples on the surface only a few yards away. Your keen eyes catch a glimpse of something that looks like a body diving towards the bottom; Toke is certain that it's a Kilpa...


[Lavi] > Tracking: 51 + 8 = 59

[Lavi] > Alertness: 28 + 56 = 84
[Toke]
> Alertness: 24 + 99 + 53 = 176
[Ottar]
> Alertness: 28 + 95 = 123
[Hurael]
> Alertness: 16 + 57 = 73
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on June 17, 2009, 02:27:28 AM
Toke - Nordic Male

His eyes widen in horror and alarm at the sight of the Kilpa retreating into the icy depths. He gasps in fright and the thought of the peril he and his compainions are in.

"Arrgh!", he gasps with a start

He steps back from the side of the longboat and turns to the others.

"Kilpa! I saw one in the water! Kilpa in the water! Get out of the rowboat Vero!" He cries with obvious alarm in his voice to the oarsman in the rowboat.
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Usdrothek on July 18, 2009, 02:53:01 PM
"Kilpa!!"
Title: Re: The Journey to Selaset, Part 1
Post by: Grinnen Baeritt on July 18, 2009, 03:25:35 PM
OOC: Why? Whats Pa done wrong?..... :lol: